Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Harrow posted:

I'm curious about Thief vs. Wolf Knight for dagger users, specifically on Maddening.

On Hard I kept Yunaka in Thief because it made it so easy for her to reach the point where enemies had 0% chance to hit her and she could just sit on avoid terrain and safely bait as many units as she wanted. But I know on Maddening, units will ignore anyone they have 0% chance to hit. Maybe Wolf Knight's better there, where you can still be really evasive but can use avoid terrain without being literally untouchable? The second weapon type might be a nice bonus, too.

Anyone have experience with the two classes on maddening?

Haven't tried wolf knight, bit enemies ignoring 0%hit attacks is still pretty useful for asking them to activate and walk into your killzone risk free. You just don't get the poison stack on everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Something that just popped up on a loading screen that should probably be mentioned somewhere else:

quote:

Artes are a physical attack that calculates damage based on both strength and magic

I assume an average of the two but it didn't specify.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Haven't tried wolf knight, bit enemies ignoring 0%hit attacks is still pretty useful for asking them to activate and walk into your killzone risk free. You just don't get the poison stack on everyone.

Ah, so they'll still run towards you, they just won't attack?

Bruceski posted:

Something that just popped up on a loading screen that should probably be mentioned somewhere else:

Yeah, it's an average. That's why Alear's not very good with arts in their promoted class--their Magic sucks and drags down the average a ton.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bruceski posted:

It's in the OP! It's been in there since day 1! :negative:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

how is every bond conversation with soren the best conversation

Because he’s been Best Boy since 2005. :colbert:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Enemies are pretty bulky on Maddening so aggroing them and not dealing any damage can put you in a bad situation sometimes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

why does hero have to be such a good class with such an ugly rear end outfit

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Harrow posted:

I'm curious about Thief vs. Wolf Knight for dagger users, specifically on Maddening.

Anyone have experience with the two classes on maddening?

Thief is still good at least on Zelkov, because they still get bonus from being on terrain. It's just specifically the fog combo that gives too much avoid, Zelkov is still Enemy phase bait at like 30% ish with Micaiah engraving which is good enough.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Harrow posted:

Every class has to have a weakness. Some classes have bad caps, some classes have bad growths, some classes have bad skills.

Hero is at least decent at everything and has an insane skill, so its weakness is having a trash outfit that makes you look like a clown to punish you for Hero stacking.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tae posted:

But if I'm on the ground, I would rather be a back-up or Covert type because the move difference isn't that big, and one is contributing anywhere from 4 to 20 damage a player phase with the right setup per character.

I mean something like Move is difficult to quantify and will depend on how you use it, but if it results in even a few extra times when that unit is able to make an attack or take a hit when you want it to, that's a lot of damage.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Hero's skill is busted so in return it gets really bad stats and a nonsense outfit.

Edit
Wait, hero has pretty bad stats. How loving good is Goldmary?!?! :psyduck:

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

Harrow posted:

Just another reason why Goldmary is the best.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Hero's skill is busted so in return it gets really bad stats and a nonsense outfit.

Edit

she and rosado had good growths as their gimmick is middling (late-ish game) characters that blossom

that said, you're also playing on hard so everything is a crap shoot, you could just be luckmary

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Working on a hypothesis that for physical infantry units specifically, silliness of the generic outfit is proportional to the usefulness of the class.

For example, Swordmaster? Pretty cool generic outfit, low silliness factor, and in return, it's not all that excellent as a class. Sword-locked, kinda :shrug: class skill, good Dex and Spd growth but other classes have that, access to S-rank swords but that's not a huge deal. (Yes, I know Kagetsu and lots of other units can kick a lot of rear end as Swordmasters, but I'd argue that's on the unit's strength more than the class's and they'd be even better as Heroes.) Halberdier? Really cool generic outfit, but again, class skill that I guess exists and nothing else that really makes it stand out from its competition. Sniper? Looks pretty good, but about the only thing it has over Warrior is Brave Bow access.

Meanwhile, Warrior? Very useful class and, would you look at that, the outfit's dumb as hell. And of course Hero on the very far end of the "great class, awful outfit" side of the spectrum.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Edit

Believe it or not Kagetsu has even better stats as a Hero than she does. Kagetsu is busted.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Warrior is Etie's correct fashion decision cause it keeps the midriff and makes her abs more prominent

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
For all my talk about doing so, I never did move someone into Halbardier. What does it look like?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

For all my talk about doing so, I never did move someone into Halbardier. What does it look like?

This is what male Alear looks like in it:

I just think that's a pretty cool coat, though it looks better in other color schemes.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

cheetah7071 posted:

Warrior is Etie's correct fashion decision cause it keeps the midriff and makes her abs more prominent

She also keeps her color scheme which is a big deal for me. Idk some people keep their color schemes even with some reclassing options and others get that godawful piss yellow color on a regular promotion class.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Been seeing a lot of chat about if Timerra is good or not that completely overlooks that she is the cutest and therefore best character in the game.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Veryslightlymad posted:

Tons of folks look terrific as Halberdier. I can vouch for Panette and Louis

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Harrow posted:

Ah, so they'll still run towards you, they just won't attack?

Yeah, the ai sees someone in its range so it runs the advance and attack routine, but because the attack would be 0% it picks the next target not in range and advances towards them. And then you dogpile them and eliminate the scary units in the pack.

It also works really well for just plugging a one tile wide hole and forcing enemies to approach from a different front. And if you do want them to attack you can just not drop smoke because enemy hit rates are absurd.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

mycatscrimes posted:

Been seeing a lot of chat about if Timerra is good or not that completely overlooks that she is the cutest and therefore best character in the game.

Any class that goes all in on one weapon (berserker, swordmaster, halberdier) is goated. This is a fact

RME
Feb 20, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Her abs that the switch does not render because it’s a bad console 😔

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RME posted:

Her abs that the switch does not render because it’s a bad console 😔

they're very obvious in warrior

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Harrow posted:

This is what male Alear looks like in it:

I just think that's a pretty cool coat, though it looks better in other color schemes.

Viva la France
That's fire. That's better than his usual outfit. What the hell?

Is anyone else really annoyed that we don't get previews of how a class looks, like in 3H? I gave serious consideration to a Drip run of that game where I just picked whatever looked best.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Yeah it probably does render them on warrior because it’s just the generic outfit at that point but it’s hosed up she talks about her muscles that are only visible in official art and not in game on her, actual design

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For anyone who's curious, here's a Reddit thread with all the advanced class looks on male Alear: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/10pvxgu/visuals_of_all_advanced_classes_thief_for_male/

And one for female Alear: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/10whxjn/visuals_of_all_advanced_classes_thief_for_female/

Veryslightlymad posted:

Is anyone else really annoyed that we don't get previews of how a class looks, like in 3H? I gave serious consideration to a Drip run of that game where I just picked whatever looked best.

Yeah I wish we got outfit previews, that'd be great.

What I did is after I finished my playthrough I made a save, blew all my postgame money on second seals, and then changed everyone's class to a bunch of different things just out of curiosity.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 9, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I need to know every character in every class. Why not include a preview, devs? You have the technology. I was baffled when promoting Jade into Great Knight lost her color scheme. How many characters change colors or have, apparently, different colors than their starting class?

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

cheetah7071 posted:

This is indeed correct and it's very hosed up that both her default promotion options hide them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If you have any specific requests for character + outfit combinations I can try to grab some screen shots after work. I'd love to have them for every character + class combo but that'd just be a shitload of screen shots to go through so I'd like to keep it a bit more limited.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Terper posted:

It's in the OP! It's been in there since day 1! :negative:

I meant mentioned somewhere else in game. Sorry, you did good.

FE has that issue where it's a chewy game but hides the critical small bits like this and growths which would really let it stand on its own without looking online..

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Thinking of making Alear a sword master for maddening run for the change of pace. I’m not that attached to the liberation sword.
Any other fun class candidates for him

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

On a different note, Ivy looked rather fragile when I first got her and I just put her in because flying caster/staves is a unique niche, but at some point between then and 5 chapters later she's become a solid monster. Just with average growths she's now the front line of my fliers and not someone I need to worry about babying as long as I know where the bows are.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
If you set up for it, Halberdier’s Pincer Attack ability can be really handy. I have Goldmary as one and with how Maddening stats are, it’s cool that I can use one of my 3 Wolf Knights with Canter to move around the enemy and have Goldmary get a guaranteed follow up attack.

It’s annoying how they’ve hidden away a class with interesting mechanics behind second seals, but you can definitely make the class work, especially as it’s one of the only classes that gives a growth boost to every stat but Build (granted, Mag, Res and Luck are only 5% but it’s not like those are important).

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Harrow posted:

If you have any specific requests for character + outfit combinations I can try to grab some screen shots after work. I'd love to have them for every character + class combo but that'd just be a shitload of screen shots to go through so I'd like to keep it a bit more limited.

It's quite all right, friend. Eventually someone crazier than you will post it all to YouTube. I can't stop that person from doing something for so very little gain, but I can you. Time is precious. Do something fun with yours.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Bruceski posted:

On a different note, Ivy looked rather fragile when I first got her and I just put her in because flying caster/staves is a unique niche, but at some point between then and 5 chapters later she's become a solid monster. Just with average growths she's now the front line of my fliers and not someone I need to worry about babying as long as I know where the bows are.

Also with the addition of Soren and Flare, she’s only going to get tankier. I swear they’re a match made in heaven.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

GateOfD posted:

Thinking of making Alear a sword master for maddening run for the change of pace. I’m not that attached to the liberation sword.
Any other fun class candidates for him

Alear's going to do all right in any physical class, really. Wyvern Knight is always a good call, for example, or a backup class like Hero or Warrior.

That said I think on Maddening I would especially value the Divine Dragon class. With fixed growths Alear's stats are pretty okay but nothing amazing, but the power something like Dragon Vein or Byleth's Instruct lets them wield with the Dragon unit type is probably really valuable.

Veryslightlymad posted:

It's quite all right, friend. Eventually someone crazier than you will post it all to YouTube. I can't stop that person from doing something for so very little gain, but I can you. Time is precious. Do something fun with yours.

Ah, but playing dress-up in a video game is fun, I just want to avoid too much of a good thing :v:

So seriously if there are any combos you're curious about I'd be happy to grab screens, I'll probably be playing around with reclassing a bit tonight anyway.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Gamerofthegame posted:

she and rosado had good growths as their gimmick is middling (late-ish game) characters that blossom

that said, you're also playing on hard so everything is a crap shoot, you could just be luckmary

they're not remotely late, they join at 16 which is anywhere from 10 to 15 battles before the end of the game.

Their stats are also pretty high even on maddening, when fixed growths prevent the early characters from shining too hard.

Goldmary is decent strength, good speed, and for some reason 20 defense??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bruceski posted:

They've got the same speed base of 25

wacky!!