Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rageaholic posted:

Just lost like half an hour of progress because I died :negative: These save rooms being few and far between kinda sucks haha

Otherwise, game's awesome so far!

e: Okay, I beat Flaahgra, time to stop playing for tonight.

Oooh, I think I know the exact stretch where you died because that triggered an old memory of doing the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I’m going to have to make a wishlist of my wishlist or at least make a separate priority list. Pity that you can’t do that.

I probably wouldn’t get Zelda digital but the savings with voucher makes it crazy not to especially since I want Pikmin 4. My real issue is I have 1 voucher left over from my last voucher purchase (Splatoon 3) so I need to decide where this “extra” one goes. Either Engage or Advance Wars neither being on my must get now list. Octopath 2 is an idea too. But I’m ok waiting for sales on those years down the road as I’m in zero rush to get games I’ve no time to play.

Otherwise I get Pikmin physically but that’s a jewel to keep not trade in. Barring that I wait a year and cross my fingers for MP 4. That may be the best option actually.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mp4 is cancelled

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Mp4 is cancelled

Shock twist Pikmin 4 is Metroid Prime 4.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
the last Pikmin is in captivity... the galaxy is at peace...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Prime 4 is being held out for the inevitable Switch 2. Nintendo can’t keep stalling that forever. Maybe this fall or maybe next Spring, but it’s coming soon and Prime 4 will be one of the graphical showcases for it. The rumors say that it’s going to be the equivalent of a PS4, Prime 4 would be a perfect way to show it off.

Or who the gently caress knows, Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I played Prime 4, the metroids are now spice orange and the space pirates are now cat boys

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I’m going to have to make a wishlist of my wishlist or at least make a separate priority list. Pity that you can’t do that.

You can make as many lists as you want on deku deals. Just do it there.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
use Deku Deals for all your wishlists needs and dont look back. there is no amount of hyperbole that can express how much more functional a Nintendo eShop it is than the Nintendo eShop.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

wizard2 posted:

use Deku Deals for all your wishlists needs and dont look back. there is no amount of hyperbole that can express how much more functional a Nintendo eShop it is than the Nintendo eShop.

Exactly. Features it has over the eshop:

- timely emails about discounted games and sales
- really great price history charts for literally everything
- ability to make however many lists
- option to rate games out of 5 stars
- ability to only show games from a specific market/storefront (eshop, Walmart, amazon, etc). I love this because I don't give a gently caress about anything physically released, so I never have to sift through that.
- generally more game data that's sortable (recent price drops, hottest titles, most wishlisted titles, etc)
- dark mode
- the option to no longer see anything associated with games you've already bought. I know the eshop at least puts "PURCHASED" instead of the price for games you own, but it's nice not to even have owned games on the list whatsoever. The eshop isn't like steam (:negative:) where you can easily buy titles for other people, so once you get something on there, you really don't need to see it on there ever again.

Also, when you use the site, it of course links up with the eshop, so you can literally use it for everything up to the moment of purchase, which you are then sent to the eshop to do. It's fantastic and once you start using it, there's really no going back.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 10, 2023

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

wizard2 posted:

Hey now

It's also better than the playstation and Xbox eshops

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

EvilJoven posted:

I decided to just ask the NYXI folks if they were gonna release a not GC pattern joycon set with the new sticks and actually got a response. They're going to announce a new controller.

Apparently sometimes all ya gotta do is ask.

Lmao that's like the most standard cookie cutter response you could have got my poster, they haven't just clued you into some scoop. They've literally just said "we're working on new controllers and will announce them at some point" - no poo poo, it's a peripheral company who makes controllers

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Cartoon Man posted:

Nothing’s been remade or redone the game is the same but with much better graphics, controls, and frame rate. It’s a remaster.

Nothings been remade apart from basically everything, you say? Remastering is touching up what's already there. Remaking is, as the word implies, building new assets. They've totally rebuilt the environments, lighting systems, particle effects, enemy models etc - it's a remake in all but name, and a very beautiful one at that

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

Nothings been remade apart from basically everything, you say? Remastering is touching up what's already there. Remaking is, as the word implies, building new assets. They've totally rebuilt the environments, lighting systems, particle effects, enemy models etc - it's a remake in all but name, and a very beautiful one at that

gamers dont' understand mastering, you will not be able to explain this to them

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

gamers dont' understand mastering, you will not be able to explain this to them

But they call it a remaster so it must be that :downs:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

A remake is what Capcom did to Resident Evil 2, or Square did to FF7, at least for me. A remaster is something that plays exactly the same, with the same levels and everything, even if they rebuilt it in a new engine with new models or whatever. I’m not downplaying the phenomenal job Retro did, the game owns and doesn’t need to be remade into something different, hence why it’s a remaster.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Reskin? I still consider TLOU to be a remake since they rebuilt it from the ground up even if they didn't change much.

This is ultimately the same game/code with nicer models though so I don't think it quite reaches that level.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Remake can cover the gamut from a full reimagining like FFVII and Resident Evil 2, to this Metroid Prime where they rebuilt all of the assets but kept the gameplay the same. Remastering would be increasing the resolution, texture quality, performance, aspect ratio etc, but having the same assets underneath. Taylor Swift remade all of her back catalogue recently so she could own it herself - same songs, same lyrics, same instruments, but remade - no-one would call those remasters.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
In film, remastering means working with a film. Doing a scan, digitally removing dust and damage and other foreign artifacts, color timing. Remaking a film is what what they did with The French Connection, or Disney is doing with their films, or what has been done 4 times with A Star is Born. Reshooting a film which has been made.

In music, remastering means working on a recording. Doing a transfer, digitally removing tape hiss or other foreign artifacts, adjusting levels. Remaking music, well, nobody really uses that term, but it's covers, or what Taylor Swift is doing with her catalogue.

In games? There's not damage or hiss or dust to remove. The delineation between re-creation and restoration is fuzzier, for sure. I suppose what is colloquially called "an upscale" would be close to the definition of remastering. What Nintendo did with Super Mario 3D All-Stars. Doing new assets, even draped over old bones, is closer to a remake, like what Nintendo did with Super Mario All-Stars.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I love that they added gameboy games. I started playing 6 Golden Coins last night and laying in bed playing it gave me huge “staying the night at grandmas house, playing my gameboy with the flexible light thing turned on” vibes, except now with a waaaaaaaay better screen

Thank you Nintendo

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 10, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

shocked at how good Prime looks on switch tbh. Just goes to show how lazy other devs have gotten

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

- the option to no longer see anything associated with games you've already bought.
Also, and just as importantly, the ability to hide games you know you’ll never buy, like so many shovelware.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I love that they added gameboy games. I started playing 6 Golden Coins last night and laying in bed playing it gave me huge “staying the night at grandmas house, playing my gameboy with the flexible light thing turned on” vibes, except now with a waaaaaaaay better screen

Thank you Nintendo

6 Golden Coins is such a charming little game, glad to see it on Switch.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

shocked at how good Prime looks on switch tbh. Just goes to show how lazy other devs have gotten

this. it's not a matter of hardware

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

AndrewP posted:

I tried out the Classic controls expecting it to be horrific and I was actually impressed at how well it works - the lock-on function was a pretty elegant solution.

It feels more like playing a mech game but it's certainly playable even today.
Yeah they very much designed the game and the enemies you fight around the mechanics they chose to use, so much so that there's a boss you totally chump with twin stick free aim because it's invisible and you can't lock on to it, so it was designed around the awkward free aim mode you had to use on GC and doesn't move or attack nearly as fast as a lot of other enemies that you can lock on to.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

A remake is what Capcom did to Resident Evil 2, or Square did to FF7, at least for me. A remaster is something that plays exactly the same, with the same levels and everything, even if they rebuilt it in a new engine with new models or whatever. I’m not downplaying the phenomenal job Retro did, the game owns and doesn’t need to be remade into something different, hence why it’s a remaster.

Exactly. I would've been fine with them remastering the Metroid Prime remake too

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Wow I got in on that B1G1 50% off Target deal for Zelda. Preorders sold out in like ten minutes. I never get that lucky.

Also got Metroid Prime, Disney Illusion Island, and Pikmin 4 so I'm set for a while. Kirby and Advance Wars weren't eligible for some reason.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Spellman posted:

Exactly. I would've been fine with them remastering the Metroid Prime remake too

Goatse looking box art

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Extremely grateful Nintendo finally put a Gameboy ROM on the Switch after 6 years

Thanks Nintendo you're too good to us

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Alan_Shore posted:

Extremely grateful Nintendo finally put a Gameboy ROM on the Switch after 6 years

This but not shittily

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
you're not jim lovely-balls after all

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Butterfly Valley posted:

Remake can cover the gamut from a full reimagining like FFVII and Resident Evil 2, to this Metroid Prime where they rebuilt all of the assets but kept the gameplay the same. Remastering would be increasing the resolution, texture quality, performance, aspect ratio etc, but having the same assets underneath.
1. The game is literally titled "Metroid Prime Remastered", so I think to the extent that the terminology is still a bit fluid as applied to video games it's appropriate go with the game's own identity.

2. Nomeclature suggested by the lead engineer of the original Prime trilogy:https://twitter.com/jack_mathews/status/1623735955675836418
3. In this particular case, it's worth acknowledging what didn't change as much as what did. The entire game design and much of the underlying game code was brought over into the remastered edition, along with new art assets and an engine to drive them. It's an incredible testament to the design and programming of the original title that Nintendo was confident enough to commission an asset-only remaster without reimplementing the systems portions from scratch.

I think the statement "they did so much work here it's basically a remake" comes from a place of good intention, but fails to acknowledge exactly how significant of a design/engineering achievement the original title was, and the achievements of the folks who worked on it.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Taylor Swift remade all of her back catalogue recently so she could own it herself - same songs, same lyrics, same instruments, but remade - no-one would call those remasters.
Correct, no one would. It's an important legal distinction though as what she produced are technically cover versions of her own songs, which due to her being the original songwriter and the nuances of Copyright as applied to music gives her legal control in a way that "remastering" those same songs would not.

That has nothing to do with video games though.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 10, 2023

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Nobody is ever going to say reimagining.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
think it's really important we get this hammered out guys. I will not be playing one second of the metroid prime re________ until its clear what it is

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

think it's really important we get this hammered out guys. I will not be playing one second of the metroid prime re________ until its clear what it is

you're not allowed say that word

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Nobody is ever going to say reimagining.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

1. The game is literally titled "Metroid Prime Remastered", so I think to the extent that the terminology is still a bit fluid as applied to video games it's appropriate go with the game's own identity.

2. Nomeclature suggested by the lead engineer of the original Prime trilogy:https://twitter.com/jack_mathews/status/1623735955675836418

MP: Pinball being referred to as a reimagining in some promotional crossed my mind when I was thinking back to it

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i've been flushing all these meal remasters down the toilet for years . . .

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Love ya bubby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Hot drat Prime looks fantastic and feels so good with dual stick controls. Easiest $40 in a long time.