Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Details, details, details.

In the meantime I ran across this marvel on the interweb cybertube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLgUEgbSrwU

(AI soviet harry potter)

holy poo poo this rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

DancingShade posted:

That'll happen anyway. War is the only lever the USA can pull to control it's domestic economy.

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/02/naval-intelligence-admiral-naive-american-public-has-a-china-blindness-problem/

quote:

“Can we please lower the amount of internal bickering within the United States and focus on the international challenges that actually affect every American?” he said.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
fuckin' plebs caring about poo poo in their daily lives instead of focusing on the higher goal of destroying people on the other side of the globe

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
hey gus lets forget the literal poison death cloud we unleashed in Ohio lets focus on putins kissable lips instead

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

the china blindess problem caused by the zillion CHINA BAD propaganda out there

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

hey gus lets forget the literal poison death cloud we unleashed in Ohio lets focus on putins kissable lips instead

That's just the Cuyahoga River, OP.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

They weren't coastal elites so they don't matter to the powers that be.

It never entered the mainstream news cycle and will be forgotten. In a week or so.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

drat they want it so bad

how this doesn't go nuclear i don't know because the US is going to do something really dumb

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

drat they want it so bad

how this doesn't go nuclear i don't know because the US is going to do something really dumb

It might rain that day and ground the entire USAF.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i imagine he will change his tune when the US abandons Ukraine

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I wouldn't expect him to say anything else at this point.

although given how the UK has conducted itself so far, I half expect it to cut a separate deal with Russia and completely kneecap Ukraine in the process.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dreylad posted:

although given how the UK has conducted itself so far, I half expect it to cut a separate deal with Russia and completely kneecap Ukraine in the process.

This and they'll somehow screw over Germany in the process. Lean times ahead so old rivalries will be resurfacing.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

i know im pages behind but lmao at making the jim face in front of nazi war crime memorial

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Majorian posted:

All right folks, it’s been fun modding this thread and cspam. But I’ve got a baby on the way and a new job, and I just don’t have the time, energy, or bandwidth to keep doing this effectively. On top of that it’s becoming increasingly clear that I’m out of step with what most of cspam’s users want. So it’s time for me to step down as a mod - probably past time, in fact. Thanks to everyone who made this a fun thread and forum to moderate. I hope this awful war ends soon.

May you all continue to be gay for Putin.

i thought things in the thread were fine now?

but congrats on baby + job.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BULBASAUR posted:

were his Vietnam and Bush era stories initially received as tepidly?

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1626279696827617290?t=bbkYRlxFT7NcbWZSwqQ1Hw&s=19

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

the big mistake people keep assuming about vietnam was that normal americans and reporters had any say about the outcome of that war, it was the exact same thing as iraq where popular culture talked about it but most people didnt care. i guess the draft was the big issue that gave normal americans a reason to oppose it but theres a reason why richard nixon got elected twice followd by Raegan after the carter blip and its that americans by and large and especially their working class are reactionaries and conservatives who dont care about anything beyond their literal arms reach at worst, and too poor and desperate to care at best.

america getting whooped in vietnam was 99% because the vietnamese wanted it more and fought for it harder.

basically America is the Great Satan that only understands the language of force.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 05:36 on Feb 17, 2023

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

crepeface posted:

i thought things in the thread were fine now?

but congrats on baby + job.

This thread's great, it's pretty much what I wanted for the rest of cspam.:)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kurt Vonnegut posted:

During the Vietnam War... every respectable artist in this country was against the war. It was like a laser beam. We were all aimed in the same direction. The power of this weapon turns out to be that of a custard pie dropped from a stepladder six feet high.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nah people in US were just psychos https://twitter.com/JustinWingerter/status/992395686380482560

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
besides that, north vietnam mainly won the vietnam war not because they "wanted it more" but rather because of far superior strategic acumen, generalship and political organization when compared to their successive enemies

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Thread is remarkably chill compared to previous incarnation and just as a thread in general. Not to jinx it.

Cerebral Bore posted:

besides that, north vietnam mainly won the vietnam war not because they "wanted it more" but rather because of far superior strategic acumen, generalship and political organization when compared to their successive enemies

definitely all of those things. the "wanting more" does come into play because a war of attirition until one side was incapable of waging war might not have favored North Vietnam, depending on outside support. Not sure if it's a nuance worth too much time but in the sense that the US hosed off rather than losing the ability to wage war. Although there are probably good arguments that North Vietnam would have been able to basically remove America's ability to contest it without having to go to the last American because oceans. I'd say strategic acumen, all the other stuff, and the wanting it more of existential threat vs hegemony.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Dreylad posted:

why would russia deal with the UK, they'll just wait as the raw sewage lapping at their heels consumes the cursed isles.

after merkel, hollande, poroshenko and zelenzsky all came out and said minsk was just a way to buy time to rearm, russia is probably wary of any deals they make. they may deal with the US or just tell them to all to gently caress off because unless the west wants to send boots on the ground, they have no leverage. they're running out of weapons to send, their sanctions have hurt europe more than russia and in diplomatic terms, the rest of the world is moving closer to the eurasian bloc.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Majorian posted:

All right folks, it’s been fun modding this thread and cspam. But I’ve got a baby on the way and a new job, and I just don’t have the time, energy, or bandwidth to keep doing this effectively. On top of that it’s becoming increasingly clear that I’m out of step with what most of cspam’s users want. So it’s time for me to step down as a mod - probably past time, in fact. Thanks to everyone who made this a fun thread and forum to moderate. I hope this awful war ends soon.

Congratulations on the family! For what it’s worth I thought you did a fine job of modding and always were far better at communicating with posters and taking feedback than any other starred person I can think of. I don’t think you were ever truly out of step with cspam and I don’t think it incredibly likely any replacement can do a better job. Lok’tar ogar.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

Vo Nguyen Giap is objectively one of the greatest generals who ever lived

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

i dont mean 'want it more' in the trivial sense im using it as a catch all for everything real like planning and political/strategic acumen, etc.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i think the term for that is based

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

crepeface posted:

why would russia deal with the UK, they'll just wait as the raw sewage lapping at their heels consumes the cursed isles.

after merkel, hollande, poroshenko and zelenzsky all came out and said minsk was just a way to buy time to rearm, russia is probably wary of any deals they make. they may deal with the US or just tell them to all to gently caress off because unless the west wants to send boots on the ground, they have no leverage. they're running out of weapons to send, their sanctions have hurt europe more than russia and in diplomatic terms, the rest of the world is moving closer to the eurasian bloc.

Yeah, if anything the UK has already showed most of its hand at this point, there isn't really a real reason to negotiate with them. Arguably, there is a reason to negotiate with the US but then again it has showed how much it can be trusted and at this point it is probably just more effective to wait for Western arms shipments to naturally bottom out.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

tryharding a war is how you a war :hmmyes:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Al-Saqr posted:

america getting whooped in vietnam was 99% because the vietnamese wanted it more and fought for it harder.

Hang on I’ve got the German general staff on the line, yeah they’re asking you to stop violating their copyright on will being the determining factor in winning wars

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Cuttlefush posted:

mr. hersh, there is no evidence of Huey being in Vietnam at the time of the alleged massacre. How can you be so bold?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

tryharding a war is how you a war :hmmyes:

It's actually by having more control points and managing your ticket loss.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
that's tryharding, sweat

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cuttlefush posted:

that's tryharding, sweat

First they yelled at me for spawn camping, then they yelled at me for lane whoring. Truly there is no winning unless one adopts the way of the bunny hopping 360 no scope sniper, which is regrettably beyond me.

Alas, a noob forever more.

edit - a dragunov or similar, obviously

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
you know it's pretty curious at this point why neither side has savescummed. i would have by now

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

you know it's pretty curious at this point why neither side has savescummed. i would have by now

Seed is randomized at every turn so there's no point, explains the Russian cover crawl strategy though

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i think vietnam didn’t even try, if they actually bothered to turn up they could have taken a few pacific islands as part of a peace deal involving their withdrawal from san francisco

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

grats on getting promoted back to poster majorian

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Majorian posted:

Congratulations. I would like to encourage you to use your new found power as a poster wisely and to flame your forums enemies with only the sickest of burns. Here's one for free "Bump? More like Rump! That's right, your posts are rear end."
Also thanks for listening.

Western actions in Libya were as good as British colonization of South Africa is something I agree with but didn't expect to see from this perspective.

Al-Saqr posted:

richard nixon got elected twice

Nixon ran on a peace platform in Vietnam.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Chat about those tanks driving into that minefield led me to this and my only question is why isn't it in Red Alert?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_89Y-I8fPs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

i dont mean 'want it more' in the trivial sense im using it as a catch all for everything real like planning and political/strategic acumen, etc.

so to summarize you're using "want it more" as a shorthand for a bunch of things that have nothing to do with wanting something more?