Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segue
May 23, 2007

smug n stuff posted:

Has anyone seen Pacifiction (getting US release this weekend after being out forever overseas)? Trying to decided whether to see it, seems like europeans really liked it (Cahiers du Cinema named it #1 film of 2022) but american critics reviewing it for the US release have been pretty bad.

I saw it at TIFF and it's pretty good, though it could stand to lose 45 minutes. It's mostly a vibe piece with some wonderful cinematography that comments on colonialism and hollow diplomacy and hosed up people. If you go in and just let it wash over you it's solid, though it is almost 3 hours long.

I know this won't help your decision, but I don't regret watching it, and it has a lot of very memorable scenes/settings that are still with me. It is lacking a central soul to the conceit (that kinda works thematically but lets it down filmically), but it's a languid bath in Tahiti, you won't regret it if you have a free afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I loving hated The Whale lol. good performances but it’s so goddamn fatphobic and misanthropic. I liked mother! but didn’t think Aaronofsky’s style worked for this one at all

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's funny that they're being so careful to keep The Whale in theatres only until after the Oscars, and I imagine that that must at least be in part due to the fact that the more people see it, the more people will realize it's a piece of poo poo.

edit: actually the VOD release is Feb 24, so nvm. it's still a piece of poo poo.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Snakes on a Plane was good, David R. Ellis was one of our best trash auteurs (rip)

I’ll concede quality for some reason and say it’s more about the marketing leaning into the meme . With Snakes it was organic and with Cocaine Bear the trailer is just 15 people screaming A BEAR DID COCAINE!!!!1 Fuckin thing sucks.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

maybe Pi proves me wrong but i’m not sure Aronofsky has ever actually made a good movie

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Mother! was a good theater experience. i withhold judgment as to "movie"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Noah was cool

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Black Swan is pretty undisputably great

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Brandon DiCamillo's cameo in the Wrestler is pretty much me during any Aranofsky movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I really liked mother!, which is a great representation of anxiety nightmares, particularly how the chaos and terror expands exponentially, starting quietly from a kind of Curb Your Enthusiasm social farce to the maximum destruction in the last act, where things shift so quickly that all sense of reality is lost (Wiig as the reporter is one of my favorite cameos of all time, because it plays perfectly into her slightly menacing style of deadpan humor). The Whale has much worse writing, and uses every "look at this gross body!" visual exploitation trick possible as a means to tell a limp story about martyrdom. Also, Aronofsky basically stating that hiring a disabled person would be too difficult was maybe not the best choice.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

weekly font posted:

I’ll concede quality for some reason and say it’s more about the marketing leaning into the meme . With Snakes it was organic and with Cocaine Bear the trailer is just 15 people screaming A BEAR DID COCAINE!!!!1 Fuckin thing sucks.

The trailer felt a bit like the SNL fake movie trailers, where they have one joke and they are going to make sure you got it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aronofsky has made multiple decent movies, just The Whale isn’t one of them. but I do think the issues are more with the script/original play than Aronofsky’s direction

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mother! Is a hoot and a half.

One of my favourite Bible movies..

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mcmagic posted:

Why the gently caress would I want to watch a "comedy" about people giving a wild animal cocaine and it dying?

How is this not a comedy

It has drugged up animals and people dying horribly

???

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/zachsilberberg/status/1626665046175539224?s=20

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Saw Marlowe today, it's fairly entertaining (not actually based on a Chandler book but on the more recently-written continuation of the character). Except it has this super-weird bit at the end about art and Nazis or something out of nowhere.

It's almost totally unrelated to the plot (only in as much as a few characters are involved in movie production, and that the film is set in 1940 or 1941), but at the end there's a sudden scene being filmed of a book-burning with swastika flags behind it, and Marlowe says something like, "Nazis sure hate books" and another character says, "but Leni Riefenstahl made some good films" and I was utterly perplexed.

I guess maybe it's making a point about liking something from the past that's problematic (the movie itself does not shy away from characters expressing racist attitudes and using offensive or sexist language) but it felt extraordinarily odd.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This is funny but makes those two shits seem more charismatic and relatable than they’ve ever been and significantly more than they deserve

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

In the heart of the sea is so bad looking my goodness.

Awful shots and editing

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Segue posted:

I saw it at TIFF and it's pretty good, though it could stand to lose 45 minutes. It's mostly a vibe piece with some wonderful cinematography that comments on colonialism and hollow diplomacy and hosed up people. If you go in and just let it wash over you it's solid, though it is almost 3 hours long.

I know this won't help your decision, but I don't regret watching it, and it has a lot of very memorable scenes/settings that are still with me. It is lacking a central soul to the conceit (that kinda works thematically but lets it down filmically), but it's a languid bath in Tahiti, you won't regret it if you have a free afternoon.

Thanks for the review! I appreciate the thoughtful comments. I knew that it was mostly about the vibes, and it’s good to hear that they (the vibes) are mostly good. I’ll try to catch it!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I refuse there’s a film component to The Whale. To me it’s just that one image of a balding and overweight Brendan Frasier wearing scrubs looking dead eyed in the middle distance.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Mother! Is a hoot and a half.

One of my favourite Bible movies..

Noah narrowly beats it because of this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFCXHr8aKDk

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alhazred posted:

Noah narrowly beats it because of this scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFCXHr8aKDk

This, and the flashback of Methusalem going scorched eart on the Children of Kain, literally.

I show the creation scene in every RE class I'm teaching, and it always fucks.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
El Mariachi is pretty good, but has some screwball bits that feel like they’re gunning to take The Last House on the Left’s crown of most ill-fitting comedy. But also, it has a cool dog in sunglasses, which is always good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Guy A. Person posted:

This is funny but makes those two shits seem more charismatic and relatable than they’ve ever been and significantly more than they deserve

I think Shapiro comes across very poorly in that clip.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Also, G-Saviour is better than a independent Canadian made-for-TV live-action Gundam movie should be. It’s cozy watching a low-rent sci-fi movie with actual production design and blocking. And the dated late-90s CGI actually helps the mecha scenes because they look stilted and weighty, like how you’d imagine a real giant robot fight would go. The screenplay is largely exposition and it drastically streamlines Gundam’s typical complexity (they don’t even use any Gundam-specific terminology except “side”), but the acting’s solid enough to make it not unbearable. It won’t convince anyone to try more Gundam, but it’s nice surprise for fans.

Also the whole thing’s on YouTube, so it’s our Youtube of the Day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZLFxPBrKjM

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Australian director George Miller died. But not the Mad Max one, a different Australian director named George Miller.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And not Filthy Frank either

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Australian director George Miller died. But not the Mad Max one, a different Australian director named George Miller.

Jesus Christ, don't scare me like that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

gently caress you

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched Hail, Caesar! and No Country For Old Men and it's wild how the same directors can make so tonally different movies. Hail, Caesar! is a fun little movie where Channing Tatum does a tap dance, meanwhile No Country For Old Men's message is that evil won and there's nothing you can do about it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really wish A Scanner Darkly wasn't so hideous to look at.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The ending of Hail Caesar is truly wild. The movie is simply over and not even in the characteristic Coen script way.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Alhazred posted:

Watched Hail, Caesar! and No Country For Old Men and it's wild how the same directors can make so tonally different movies. Hail, Caesar! is a fun little movie where Channing Tatum does a tap dance, meanwhile No Country For Old Men's message is that evil won and there's nothing you can do about it.

Hail, Caesar! is also a movie about evil winning it's just extremely tonally different in its delivery.

(I guess maybe it's more like evil was always in control.)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Speaking of Hail, Caesar!, if you liked it, you like a bunch of regular Coen themes, and you're willing to tolerate reading fiction, then I gotta recommend The Englishman's Boy by Guy Vanderhaeghe. It's a book that very much exists in the same thematic space, where a ridiculous dipshit studio owner hires a title card writer to find old cowboy Shorty MacAdoo so as to turn Shorty's story into a movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Grendels Dad posted:

Jesus Christ, don't scare me like that.

Failed Imagineer posted:

gently caress you

Just be glad I clarified it wasn't that George Miller! I was inconsolable for like 5 minutes until I figured out which one it was.

I am sorry if any of you were fans of Andre or Zeus And Roxanne though.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I refuse there’s a film component to The Whale. To me it’s just that one image of a balding and overweight Brendan Frasier wearing scrubs looking dead eyed in the middle distance.

The Whale is something that was always gonna be absurd in execution regardless (though it doesn't help there's a scene of him devouring everything in sight backed by ominous horror music).

Saw Quantumania. This is gonna be a future Attack of the Clones / The Room-esque so bad it's good meme watch. Majors tries to bring this above the neutered family-friendly Rick & Morty knock-off shenanigans surrounding him composited ala Vito Spatafore on Geonosis, but it’s a futile effort.

The Council of Kangs mid-credit sequence looked ridiculous and started making me side with the "The MCU died with Tony Stark" crowd.

Cassie tho, she's uh... distractingly attractive. *hides*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Not sure what you mean, attack of the clones is great star wars

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Cassie tho, she's uh... distractingly attractive. *hides*

Sorry I don’t know about the movie but from the trailer isn’t this Ant Man’s teenage daughter

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Yeah, op might mean they are going to hide from the police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Your honor, I didn't know she was 26 I swear