Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

sithael posted:

anyone able to get Dropsy working? It says it's supported, but I get a black screen after the logos. I've tried every proton version.

According to ProtonDB, Proton GE is necessary to get video playback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Red Dead Redemption 2?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2?

What about it

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, as a bunch of posts have been made since I last asked, any good Poker games on Steam?

Prominence Poker is free to play and deck verified, seems alright. Singleplayer and multiplayer modes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

History Comes Inside! posted:

Didn’t OP literally say any poker games except poker night at the inventory lol

I did indeed, as I already have them. No idea if they're delisted.

I assume the Red Dead post was in response to my poker request. Maybe?

Rimjob Rodeo posted:

Prominence Poker is free to play and deck verified, seems alright. Singleplayer and multiplayer modes.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2?

1280x800, textures on Ultra, everything else on Medium, seems pretty solid at 40+fps.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

rafikki posted:

#decklife

What game is that? I dig the style.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Beastie posted:

What game is that? I dig the style.

It’s a one off level in https://store.steampowered.com/app/1213230/Rain_on_Your_Parade/

There’s a variety of styles across the levels.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Honestly the deck has been running modern day AAA games much better than I expected. Though with how it worked it looks like you should wait a couple days for shader poo poo to be parsed out

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

KozmoNaut posted:

1280x800, textures on Ultra, everything else on Medium, seems pretty solid at 40+fps.

High res textures on low resolution isnt what you wanna do

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vic posted:

Doesn’t it help avoid shimmering and such with textures that are at an angle or farther away? I thought that was one reason to increase texture resolution. I guess LOD mipmaps work against that idea, hmm.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Vic posted:

It works and looks good, and the default setting on the Deck is Ultra+low everything else. With AA and anisotropic filtering, there's no shimmering or weirdness.

I hate blurry textures.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Vic posted:

Sure it is, why not? Deck has VRAM out the rear end.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
any good non-riichi mahjong games for the deck?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Textures and anisotropic filtering are the two areas the Deck should be OK since it has decent memory bandwidth, but at the same time if you're hard pressed to see a difference between Medium/High/Ultra (or 4x/8x/16x for anisotropic) I'd be inclined to go with the lower option.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SCheeseman posted:

Yeah, I set it to 4GB and I always put Textures to High on everything. It's the last setting I dumb down if I ever need to and I tend not to.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Doesn’t it help avoid shimmering and such with textures that are at an angle or farther away? I thought that was one reason to increase texture resolution. I guess LOD mipmaps work against that idea, hmm.

No that would be anisotropic filtering.

KozmoNaut posted:

It works and looks good, and the default setting on the Deck is Ultra+low everything else. With AA and anisotropic filtering, there's no shimmering or weirdness.

I hate blurry textures.

SCheeseman posted:

The small screen size and resolution just means you can't actually see all the texture's detail. Granted I don't actually know what Ultra means in terms of actual texture size, but in general you're basically just wasting CPU time decompressing big textures that just get downsampled right back, also VRAM. You'll probably get the same percieved sharpness on whatever high or even medium is.

e: assuming you're playing handheld 1280x800. If you're on a big TV on a higher res, then sure crank it higher.

Vic fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 18, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Also AAA games being big is pretty much all uncompressed high res textures. I wish they'd do them as an optional free DLC like some games started doing.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I heard riichi mahjong is pretty good

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The deck has spoiled me. Playing ps5 for the first time since I got the deck and I miss the back buttons and the gyro aiming something fierce.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Remote play from the deck with the TV on and you can just pretend it’s a really big controller while making the back buttons do whatever you want and having gyro aiming too.

Chiaki4deck is the answer.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Remote play from the deck with the TV on and you can just pretend it’s a really big controller while making the back buttons do whatever you want and having gyro aiming too.

Chiaki4deck is the answer.

Moonlight.

PS5 games you only need talk, cover, shoot, climb, and at least 10 hours of cutscenes

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We get it you don’t like the PS5, find a new angle

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

sigher posted:

It runs incredibly well, there was a lot of hitching and whatnot on launch but patches and shaders have smoothed it out. I went throught he whole game 100% exclusively on the Deck and loved it.

Perfect answer, thank you. You’ve just earned EA my £49.99.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since every steam deck is the same hardware is valve shipping pre compiled shaders with games to avoid hitching or is that on the devs to handle? Or is it not being done at all?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Since every steam deck is the same hardware is valve shipping pre compiled shaders with games to avoid hitching or is that on the devs to handle? Or is it not being done at all?

Valve does it and you get little updates for it every time the game gets a patch or the Steam Deck is updated.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I've replied to two posts about the PS5, it's alright honestly.

We're all gamers

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 19, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They actually crowdsource the shaders. Steam OS will download the latest set of shaders when you install a game (and occasionally update thereafter), and everytime you quit a game it checks if you have any new cached shaders and uploads them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

They actually crowdsource the shaders. Steam OS will download the latest set of shaders when you install a game (and occasionally update thereafter), and everytime you quit a game it checks if you have any new cached shaders and uploads them.

I still don't understand this. Yes, I get that it's checking for shaders to make sure the game runs as smoothly as possible, which is somewhat easier with the deck, since we're all using the same hardware, so the profile is very common. I got that part.

But how does it determine what a good new shader is? How does a new shader get developed if it's not someone literally coding one? Is it literally people coding new shaders per game?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Ponies crying cos they dropped $550 on a console with no games, unlike the steam deck….

🤣😂

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ponies crying cos they dropped $550 on a console with no games, unlike the steam deck….

🤣😂

Ponies?!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I still don't understand this. Yes, I get that it's checking for shaders to make sure the game runs as smoothly as possible, which is somewhat easier with the deck, since we're all using the same hardware, so the profile is very common. I got that part.

But how does it determine what a good new shader is? How does a new shader get developed if it's not someone literally coding one? Is it literally people coding new shaders per game?

New shaders may get generated when something changes that impacts the way the game runs, literally anything from system or driver updates to patches for the games themselves. They aren’t necessarily ’better’, they’re just newer.

It’s basically just distributing whatever the latest shaders that have been compiled are, not validating them for improvements. There’s no real thought process behind it like you’re imagining.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Stupid derogatory rhyming slang for Sony Playstation buyers.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

It’s basically just distributing whatever the latest shaders that have been compiled are, not validating them for improvements. There’s no real thought process behind it like you’re imagining.

And to elaborate further - the shaders in the game aren't changing - the shaders created by the developers and bundled into the game can't actually be directly run on the hardware. They have to be compiled for your specific graphics card model (and driver version and etc), which can happen at any point in the runtime of the game and will take an amount of time (a few millseconds, a few frames worth) which will cause the game to hitch up waiting for the shader compile to complete before it can finish rendering the next frame.

Because steam deck has the same graphics card across all models you can reliably pre-compile the shaders and download them off the network to save you from having to compile them on the deck, and thus saving you from seeing the frame-hitching that the compile process will cause. You could theoretically do the same on regular PC, but because the hardware variations are so vast it becomes less practical to have to store and offer for download so many variations (when the only real performance boost is that you save a few frame hitches here and there)

Lord Bob fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 19, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah you see this a lot in emulation where you'll often have small stutters early on while the emulator compiles the game's shaders and gradually smooths out.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don’t get what’s wrong with midnight suns, but I tried it again yesterday hoping the fact it had been patched and now is verified would solve all my issues… and it hard crashed the deck when it hit a cutscene. I really liked what I played of this game, but if I can’t play it on the steam deck, I’m just not going to play it.

Only steam game to have done that so far.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Stupid derogatory rhyming slang for Sony Playstation buyers.

Wow that's stupid. I hate that a lot.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Final Fantasy XIV. :getin:🀄

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you fill up a 512 GB SD card with Steam games, it will fill up your 64 GB SSD with shader caches. There's a program or workaround to move these to the SD card.

I get less hitching in modern Unreal engine games on my Steam Deck than on my gaming PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

My understanding is that it's not the shaders that get downloaded or created, it's that the in-game shaders are compiled for the Steam Deck hardware and that's what gets downloaded and shared with others.