Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jabor posted:

It's actually a little less complex, in that it's just "any legendary creature".

and Partner, and Partner with X, and Planeswalkers that can be your commander, and Background, and uhhhhhh The Grand Calcutron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

You know I'd love a queue that was "no meta decks". No idea how they'd define that, but it would be nice to have the chance to not play the same 5 decks every game.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Rap Game Goku posted:

You know I'd love a queue that was "no meta decks". No idea how they'd define that, but it would be nice to have the chance to not play the same 5 decks every game.

Yeah my lovely midrange mono Red Superfriends deck is not doing so hot against the BO1 meta, and honestly never had a chance against Obliterator or Vindicator or now Atraxa.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lone Goat posted:

and Partner, and Partner with X, and Planeswalkers that can be your commander, and Background, and uhhhhhh The Grand Calcutron

Yeah but those are literally things written on the card that change the rules. They'd apply to Brawl as well if any brawl-legal cards had that text.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It would be super easy to detect meta decks and slight variants, but I assume it's set up this way because they want people with janky free cards to suffer against people who have all the parts for good decks, as a prod to make those players want to spend more money or time.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Rap Game Goku posted:

Explorer. The card variety there is much larger so you're less likely to run into the same recycled horseshit. You will run into them sometimes, but not *all* the time, and unlike Historic it isn't polluted with Alchemy cards.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
y'all do realize why "i don't want to fight good decks, i want to fight decks that i'll win against" isn't really sustainable for a queue

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

flatluigi posted:

y'all do realize why "i don't want to fight good decks, i want to fight decks that i'll win against" isn't really sustainable for a queue

Some people would be quite content queuing into Sparky over and over as long as they thought it was a real player.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there any way I'd be able to tell if my opponent is real or sparky pretending to be human? Maybe all the psycho ropers are Sparky's?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

flatluigi posted:

It's more that I want to play lovely decks and not get constantly curbstomped.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

7-2 with this pile of red / white cards with no synergies. Just curve and Blast em

https://www.17lands.com/draft/b357f9b4c85742c48a5350dec52ecbac p1p1 was yolo, skitterfang much better there

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

really wish arena had an "are you sure" when you go to combat with mana in your mana pool. No I did not want to go to combat, I was trying to make a big lair of the hydra.

I'm trying to learn mono-g ramp in bo3 explorer, but nobody knows how to play it all I see are lists. What do I do vs counter spells? What situations should I karn for what?

I haven't played explorer in months, so i decayed down to bronze, but all my opponents are gold

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

A Moose posted:

really wish arena had an "are you sure" when you go to combat with mana in your mana pool. No I did not want to go to combat, I was trying to make a big lair of the hydra.

I'm trying to learn mono-g ramp

What do I do vs counter spells?

Allosaurus Shepard, Howlpack Piper

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rebecca Guay

Edit: oh that was in reference to the basic lands

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Managed to put another RG together... hmm

https://www.17lands.com/draft/4fa7a44572ea4dcd92b9ef80c0c9e226

Got passed a lot of Charforgers but didn't see anything else that would make me want to go RB really, and green seemed open enough.

What are the cuts here? I feel like a lot of the one and two drops are pretty close in value? Dare I shave a land...

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

cut a scamp and a roots (or a land if you really want to proliferate with roots sometimes but it seems hardly worth it)

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Horace Kinch posted:

Allosaurus Shepard, Howlpack Piper

oh, I meant the Explorer mono-g karn deck

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

19 creatures, I would probably play a Titanic Growth over a Shrapnel Slinger also. You don’t have a ton of oil I would stay 17 lands

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

A Moose posted:

I'm trying to learn mono-g ramp in bo3 explorer, but nobody knows how to play it all I see are lists. What do I do vs counter spells? What situations should I karn for what?

I haven't played explorer in months, so i decayed down to bronze, but all my opponents are gold

deck is weak vs counterspells; the best you can do (besides sideboard shifting ceratops) against that kind of deck is try to bait them out with your less powerful plays while attempting to put on enough pressure that they will have to tap out for a sweeper and leave you the space to resolve something powerful.

i haven't played it in a month or two but just looking over my karnboard (there's a lot of options so yours is probably at least a few cards different), i think most of the cards are pretty obvious but here goes anyway
portal to phyrexia - to close out the game vs creature decks
cityscape leveler - to kill a specific permanent or close out the game vs control decks
god-pharaoh's statue - for when opponent is constrained on mana and/or playing a deck that involves multiple spells per turn
extra skysovereign - to kill an x/3 and apply pressure, also often nice to have against greasefang decks where you can kill the rat and then crew it to block an angel
pestilent cauldron - to fetch value cards from the graveyard
the stone brain - against decks where you're only scared of one card
treasure vault - if you need to make a land drop
mightstone and weakstone - to kill an x/5 or draw two cards
pithing needle - vs planeswalkers mostly
haywire mite - against aggro it's a chump blocker + lifegain, also has emergency utility against fires and stuff like that
shadowspear - against aggro when you have stabilized, equip it to a cavalier and attack and you won't die to burn
tormod's crypt - against greasefang

also of course mana considerations often matter. in fast matchups you'll often want to get something cheap to smooth out your curve etc

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol have i been cursed, how often do other people get to keep 7

anyway i still won after a mull to 6, turns out urabrask, incubation sac, and furnace punisher just as a 3/3 Menace for 3 are good

Toozler posted:

19 creatures, I would probably play a Titanic Growth over a Shrapnel Slinger also. You don’t have a ton of oil I would stay 17 lands

hmm... results-based thinking is telling me that two shrapnel slingers blowing up the enemy's eye of malcator and the 5/5 vehicle is good, but I also have to tell myself how often am I going to play against mono-U artifacts

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

another 2-3 :sigh:

loss 1 to an atraxa cast perfectly on curve, loss 2 i had the curveout and got picked apart by removal, loss 3 i kept a 2-lander with a 2-drop and got mana screwed

18-27, clean 40.00% lmao

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

Arena is a digital card game which doubles down on all the lovely things about paper magic.

It absolutely does not, as the shittiest thing about paper magic is how expensive it is. It's impossible to F2P paper magic and very possible to F2P Arena.

imagine dungeons posted:

If you go for it, be prepared to only play against another shrine deck or a 5 color commander as that’s pretty much all I get when I play my shrine HBrawl deck.

I think there's just an absolute shitton of 5 colour commanders being queued up as I play against them all the drat time.

Lone Goat posted:

You forgot Friends Forever

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Phew, hit Mythic with 7 days to go using Dragon Cheat. Usually doesn't take me this long but that goddamn Izzet deck is ludicrously pervasive. I'm not complaining, I appreciate both winning and losing fast.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Managed to lose a game with 15 out of 17 lands in the 19 cards I'd received.

Gotta be a new record.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol have i been cursed, how often do other people get to keep 7

It feels like maybe only half the time, and I feel like I don't mulligan enough. I'll keep good looking two lander and draw no land or a four landers and draw all lands.
Don't have tracking cause I'm on my phone, wonder what good players keep rate are.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I was watching Numot this morning and he noticed that the autotapper had given away that he was holding White Sun's Twilight by holding up WW rather than WB when he cast a 1B card on 4 mana.

Today, I noticed OP left WW untapped after casting a 1X card. I thoguht 'hmm' and four turns later after i'd missed all but one land drop and still had them close to death, and would have killed them if i'd hit even one more land drop, the White Sun's Twilighted for 5 and killed me. Feels bad.

I'm 4-5 for today so far, deck from yesterday pulled 2/3 and I'm 2/2 in the next one e: 2/3 in the next one, kept a hand I absolutely did not intend to keepwhilst clicking back into the window :( Feels very bad. Wonder if I can get a pity refund, but probably not worth pushing it.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 21, 2023

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Milled someone with Jace in limited. It felt good. I know I was probably winning regardless with a rat on field and them at 9 poison but I don't care.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Shadows over Innistrad Remastered coming next month

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Went 7-1 with a U/B deck (with two planeswalkers lol). It did feel really good, I am not sure if I should have played both retrofitters. It felt really good whenever I cast it, but I really didn't have that many artifacts to enable it. Whenever I got Jace or Kaito on the field I won easily. I know these aren't supposed to be the best colors, but when really open they can still perform. One loss to a deck that played two Bladehold War-Whips in a row on turns 3 and 4.

Deck:

Wins:

Another mill win:

Beating a Nissa with my Jace/proliferate

Beating an Elesh Norn that played two Ossifications the turn after Elesh Norn

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Dumb question, does U/B mean black and blue?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

App13 posted:

You got it.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

App13 posted:

Yes it does.

I guess that makes more sense than A/B.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

App13 posted:

People like to shorthand the color names with the first letter of each color, but since "black" and "blue" both start with B the latter goes by U instead :eng101: I think all of the names for the common color groupings are in the OP.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It's Raka not Jeskai and I won't hear otherwise! :doom:

also where's the nurse with my pudding and afternoon pills?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

space uncle posted:

Yes it does.

I guess that makes more sense than A/B.

L is a land and A is artifact so yeah they just went with U for blue

and because they didn't want Dark Ritual to say "add KKK to your mana pool"

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I see the weekly event is recent set constructed but is not all access.

That's pretty drat cheeky, imo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It absolutely does not, as the shittiest thing about paper magic is how expensive it is. It's impossible to F2P paper magic and very possible to F2P Arena

Arena is only f2p if you don't count your time or if I guess you really wanted to just spam a few formats with really bad decks for who knows how long. I spend money on the game and still can't build the decks I want. Plus I don't own anything and have extremely limited options for play with no social elements or any of the other benefits of regular Magic.

And you literally can play paper Magic for free or as much as you want to pay, there is a sliding scale of options for price of cards from ludicrously expensive to completely free. And while there is still a gross gambling component to MTGA, it's somehow worse since nothing I buy can ever pay for itself, in paper magic sometimes a pack can be traded right back into a shop for more money than it cost to buy the pack itself.

In order from most to least expensive: Can gamble on sealed product, can buy singles or trades, use prison toothpaste to glue scraps of paper to playing cards with hazily remembered card texts you vaguely recall from before going to prison, you can buy high quality proxies for about 3 bucks or less of any popular expensive card, pay less for worse proxies or to have your own printed online, can just print them yourself on whatever paper you can grab, can buy a glue stick and some loose paper and glue blanks to basic lands or other bulk and write the cards on them, can write directly onto bulk cards, can just write on any pieces of paper you can slip into a sleeve and write on them, or you can borrow or be given cards by others.

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

I don't know how common this is but, in my area, the Pioneer and Pauper events regularly have players who bring several decks, explicitly to let others borrow.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm genuinely curious how you're spending money on Arena and still somehow not able to play the decks you want. What on earth are you spending money on? How much do you play a day?

I do my dailies and get about half a dozen wins and that adds up to quite a bit of gold, I play enough drafts to get to the mastery pass each set, and I have oodles of cards. I don't have full playsets of everything, but some judiciousness in wildcard spending means I usually end up with what I need to get me through a set.

I mean, I'll never get a full playset of every rare, but that's true in paper magic as well.

Like, it's entirely possible to be competitive as a f2p player, and I have a massive collection that would be thousands of dollars in paper cards. I'm so confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rickiep00h posted:

Like, it's entirely possible to be competitive as a f2p player, and I have a massive collection that would be thousands of dollars in paper cards. I'm so confused.

Yeah I haven't spent a dime on Arena after playing for years. I've been Mythic in constructed, sustain gems on drafts (after a boost from streaming to Discord) and have enough for the mastery pass each set.

Interesting that the tack is "Arena's free if your time is free" when the alternative is researching, selecting, and printing or otherwise crafting an entire set? A cube? One deck? Unclear, but one tier up is $3/card for proxies.