Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's a lot of speculation about why they pulled the Cali and Parliament and nobody has any idea what the reason is.

My best guess is that the non-cartoon appearance of the ships hasn't been established yet, and they're not gonna let some rando artist do that in the background. There's going to be meetings and approvals and designers from multiple shows involved to sign off on the photorealistic look.

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, they had both a Parliament class and a Cali class designed for Star Trek Online at that point and they were swiping STO ship models by the handful to put into fleet shots, so they could have just used the STO models for it.

that would be a very bad outcome, actually - for some reason the STO models for the ships look... well, the Parliament looks bad, and the Cali looks awful. I think someone decided going from cartoon to game meant they could add detail and change the proportions and it's just really really bad.

E: show Cali:

Game Cali:

It's weird, normally their models are really well done. The Cali model used on-screen for the cartoon is pretty high-detail now, you'd have thought they'd use that as a base. (If it ever does come to live-action I would assume that'll be what happens)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ugh, that ship is nota handsome lady

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

There's a lot of speculation about why they pulled the Cali and Parliament and nobody has any idea what the reason is.

My best guess is that the non-cartoon appearance of the ships hasn't been established yet, and they're not gonna let some rando artist do that in the background. There's going to be meetings and approvals and designers from multiple shows involved to sign off on the photorealistic look.

that would be a very bad outcome, actually - for some reason the STO models for the ships look... well, the Parliament looks bad, and the Cali looks awful. I think someone decided going from cartoon to game meant they could add detail and change the proportions and it's just really really bad.

E: show Cali:

Game Cali:

It's weird, normally their models are really well done. The Cali model used on-screen for the cartoon is pretty high-detail now, you'd have thought they'd use that as a base. (If it ever does come to live-action I would assume that'll be what happens)
The model doesn't look that much off, so its 99% the rendering and lighting engine in STO being patchwork from a MMO released in 2009, whereas the show uses something much, much better.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

The model doesn't look that much off, so its 99% the rendering and lighting engine in STO being patchwork from a MMO released in 2009, whereas the show uses something much, much better.

It's pretty much this. And I think the Parliament looks pretty fantastic in STO. Its a shame they put these both in gambleboxes AND they're mediocre ships at best.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Why is every Bolian in existence a doughy middle aged man?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

No Dignity posted:

Why is every Bolian in existence a doughy middle aged man?

Psychopath tv producers keeping all the hot blue people to themselves

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The hot blue people get to be Andorians.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

Nah, the saucer is twice as thick on the game model as it is in the show, that's not just a difference in perspective. The proportions are completely messed. And there's stuff like this

compared to this

They've thrown on extra bits, decided 'let's put cargo doors here', for some reason they put a downwards-launching oval captain's yacht (like the galaxy) where the front-launching yacht bay door is, for some reason outlined the entire raised black structure with a red stripe... And the little details are all over the place, the saucer thrusters (yellow things) are all in the wrong places, the prongs on the back end of the nacelles are missing (although you can't see that in those shots), etc, etc.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 22, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

If I had to guess it's because they used the rougher s1 model as a base instead of the progressively better show mod.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
why does a space ship need racing stripes?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The same reason god needs a starship.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

why does a space ship need racing stripes?

lower decks made racing starships a thing in the star trek universe recently and it's loving rad

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

The Parliament-class was one of the few modern Star Trek ships that was designed by someone that knew what to do with impulse engines.

They appear to be thoughtfully integrated into the design and balanced for scale.

The Titan-A looks like they just changed the texture of a bunch of hull to impulse engine red.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Arivia posted:

lower decks made racing starships a thing in the star trek universe recently and it's loving rad

"racing ships" are fine, that makes sense. they have yacht races for whatever reason too so i assume someone enjoys it

but these are apparently thrusters also? thrusters that they didn't need before?

i mean guess they needed to come up with functionality for these things that look suspiciously like racing stripes, but i find that almost more insulting than the actual stripes. if they just thought the stripes were cool... just add the stripes? apparently literally nobody will stop you unless the stripes cross over

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The original Connie had the best racing stripes there will ever be :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Every Starfleet ship ever, from the original series on, (ENT and Disco future excluded) has had red racing stripes on it if you look at it. The original had it on the nacelles and engineering. The D and Voyager had it on the top of the nacelles and down the spine. Defiant has it outlining the whole top. All the background ships have it. A red racing stripe on the top or side is the Starfleet livery. Lower Decks just extended it to yellow and blue.

Beeftweeter posted:

"racing ships" are fine, that makes sense. they have yacht races for whatever reason too so i assume someone enjoys it

but these are apparently thrusters also? thrusters that they didn't need before?

i mean guess they needed to come up with functionality for these things that look suspiciously like racing stripes, but i find that almost more insulting than the actual stripes. if they just thought the stripes were cool... just add the stripes? apparently literally nobody will stop you unless the stripes cross over

Oh when I say the yellow things are thrusters I don't mean the stripes, sorry, the thrusters aren't in that little crop out. They're the yellow squares on the edge of the saucer and other sections.

They've been visible on every single Starfleet ship since the TMP refit. They're one of the many constants of Starfleet design language you don't notice but helps keep the feel.

They're not actually visibly shown in use much though, although ostensibly they're used all the time. We saw a shot of them firing off once in TNG, I think, and there was a cool scene in Lower Decks showing them

https://i.imgur.com/RyDW2K2.mp4

Also here's a cool fan made video you all should watch because it's awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdRUL8RbDw8

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 22, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

God this was a good episode, like not just "good for Lower Decks" but an actual Good Star Trek episode.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MikeJF posted:

Every Starfleet ship ever, from the original series on, (ENT and Disco future excluded) has had red racing stripes on it if you look at it. The original had it on the nacelles and engineering. The D and Voyager had it on the top of the nacelles and down the spine. Defiant has it outlining the whole top. All the background ships have it. A red racing stripe on the top or side is the Starfleet livery. Lower Decks just extended it to yellow and blue.

Oh when I say the yellow things are thrusters I don't mean the stripes, sorry, the thrusters aren't in that little crop out. They're the yellow squares on the edge of the saucer and other sections.

They've been visible on every single Starfleet ship since the TMP refit. They're one of the many constants of Starfleet design language you don't notice but helps keep the feel.

They're not actually visibly shown in use much though, although ostensibly they're used all the time. We saw a shot of them firing off once in TNG, I think, and there was a cool scene in Lower Decks showing them

https://i.imgur.com/RyDW2K2.mp4

lol i appreciate the clarification, i was hoping it wasn't that dumb

stripes have obviously been a part of their design language from the beginning, that's true. they haven't been this prominent though and it kind of seems silly for something that people will realistically spend most of their time not being able to see

obviously we do see it though, so i understand why they're there. they look a little weird to me, but overall i think it's fine and relatively consistent with the rest of the design's evolution. i was just hoping they weren't paint thrusters

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's not unreasonable that they would highlight RCS Thruster areas as high visibility when the environment where they will be used extensively is one where there may be people working in close proximity (spacedock.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bull3964 posted:

It's not unreasonable that they would highlight RCS Thruster areas as high visibility when the environment where they will be used extensively is one where there may be people working in close proximity (spacedock.)

I think he was taking about the big decorative stripes as a bit silly, not the hull utility markings like the thruster highlights or stuff like the little red circles around the umbilical ports.

The big stripes I think it's, well, you see ships on the viewscreen often enough. And also they're advanced enough that why not. They probably have to paint the hull with something as a protective layer anyway.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 22, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MikeJF posted:

I think he was taking about the big decorative stripes, not the hull utility markings like the thruster highlights or stuff like the little red circles around the umbilical ports.

The big stripes I think it's, well, you see ships on the viewscreen often enough. And also they're advanced enough that why not.

yeah, to be clear it's this

it was the source of my "just add the drat stripes then" diatribe lol. these producers have made some really really dumb choices to justify other stupid poo poo so it seemed plausible to me

not that the stripes are dumb — they're fine — but thruster stripes is going a bit too far. which they didn't do so that's good

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, yeah. Aesthetics play a part in ship design. Color highlights are no different than the shapes themselves. It's all part of a design language. Otherwise, the federation might as well just go the Borg route and do featureless cubes.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I like that Lower Decks extended the design language to include different coloured stripes for different ship sub-types, it feels like a natural extension of the uniform colour coding.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And it's made clear by all the California class ships not only having their division colour stripes, but all having slightly unique, different designs, that the big decorative nature of them is partly just for the sake of cool, in-universe. Cali captains want to show off a bit of flair.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

MikeJF posted:

The best part of this edit is how hilariously irresponsible it makes the one-quarter impulse power order look.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

The best part of this edit is how hilariously irresponsible it makes the one-quarter impulse power order look.

Yeah, the reason why Starfleet regulations restrict ships to thrusters only in space dock is because everyone in the enclosed dock portion of ESD dies from shockwave trauma and ionizing radiation burns and they have to spend 6 months repairing all the structural damage every time Kirk hits the gas on his way out of spacedoors.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Well impulse is meant to be fast like that and it makes Valeris looking terrified as she impulses out against regulations actually fit the scene.

It's space, though, they're all used to dealing with relative speed differences measured in hundreds or thousands of kilometres per second.

Hell, in theory when they're going somewhere at the slow speed of full impulse they accelerate to about 75,000 kilometres per second. But Trek's never depicted stuff like that well.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 22, 2023

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
A Star Trek game called "Belay that order!"

That's as far as I've got.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Man, I gotta nerd out on propulsion in spacedock. In WoK, Saavik orders "Aft thrusters, one-quarter impulse power" and they glide out of spacedock. And that's not even an enclosed spacedock, that's an orbital drydock. In Picard, Seven, ordering the Titan out of Spacedock (presumably Starbase 1), she again orders thrusters at 1/4 impulse power, and they glide out of spacedock. Then in TUC, Kirk orders "one-quarter impulse" with no mention of thrusters, and they zoom out. You'd think it would be very confusing to describe thrust power in terms of impulse power, especially when thrusters at 1/4 impulse power is much less power than "1/4 impulse".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The big glaring thing there is that thrusters aren't even related to impulse.

Also, they always refer to impulse as if it's a speed but really it should be an acceleration.

In the TNG tech manual, they say they try to limit sublight velocities to 0.25c to keep time dilation manageable. You should be able to reach 0.25c under ANY impulse output, it's just a matter of how long it takes you to get there.

Also funny how there's no forward facing impulse engines, how are they slowing down?

Are they blipping a subspace field into existence to lower the mass of the ship and then slowing down with the thrusters? If so, why even have impulse engines to begin with?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Well it’s a tv show, so they just have the modelers stop swooshing the ship around

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Easy fix just rotate the ship with thrusters until your impulse engines are in the direction you're traveling then use them to slow down

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, but they don't do that on screen ever.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

When Kirk orders Warp Point Five in TMP is he ordering half-impulse or what

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's actually a better order to have in the script as they would just accelerate to 0.5c and then turn off the engines.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, the reason why Starfleet regulations restrict ships to thrusters only in space dock is because everyone in the enclosed dock portion of ESD dies from shockwave trauma and ionizing radiation burns

They'll be fine, Doc will wave a light over it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cross-Section posted:

When Kirk orders Warp Point Five in TMP is he ordering half-impulse or what

according to wolfram alpha "warp 0.5" in the original series would be 0.125c. with the tng scale it would be 0.09921c

if it has any impulse propulsion capabilities though i haven't hit upon the magical incantations to make it work

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Based on elapsed times started on screen (and possible planetary positions), Warp 0.5 in TMP tracks pretty close with 0.5c.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The big glaring thing there is that thrusters aren't even related to impulse.

Also, they always refer to impulse as if it's a speed but really it should be an acceleration.

In the TNG tech manual, they say they try to limit sublight velocities to 0.25c to keep time dilation manageable. You should be able to reach 0.25c under ANY impulse output, it's just a matter of how long it takes you to get there.

Also funny how there's no forward facing impulse engines, how are they slowing down?

Are they blipping a subspace field into existence to lower the mass of the ship and then slowing down with the thrusters? If so, why even have impulse engines to begin with?

This is easily answerable if you simply assume space has air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is easily answerable if you simply assume space has air
There was some PS1 space combat game I remember getting unreasonably annoyed about because if you released the thrust button you just cruised to a stop in about five seconds.