Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ron Swansons libertarianism was always an issue but it’s mostly ok because he’s a really bad libertarian because he’s a reasonable decent person who is willing to compromise and be considerate of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

STAC Goat posted:

Ron Swansons libertarianism was always an issue but it’s mostly ok because he’s a really bad libertarian because he’s a reasonable decent person who is willing to compromise and be considerate of others.

The problem with making a satirical libertarian is that there is someone out there with whatever jokey belief you've made up for the character. It's funny when Ron says "put in a quarter, look at a duck." But there is someone that truly believes that.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Cojawfee posted:

The problem with making a satirical libertarian is that there is someone out there with whatever jokey belief you've made up for the character. It's funny when Ron says "put in a quarter, look at a duck." But there is someone that truly believes that.

I mean, then satire is dead if that is truly a problem.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/18/entertainment/julian-sands-missing-hiker/index.html

Things aren't looking good for Julian Sands. He went missing Friday while hiking on Mt Baldy and inclement weather has made searching difficult.

So it has been a month and they still haven't found him. :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Took almost 15 years to find these guys
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Valley_Germans

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

swickles posted:

I mean, then satire is dead if that is truly a problem.

Satire is very dead, if this is the metric.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Michael Schur even said that the guy in local government that he based Ron off of was a cantankerous unlikable rear end in a top hat. I think the reason Parks and Rec lost a lot of rewatchability for people after 2016 was that the myth of the awful conservative who ends up doing the right thing was buried at that point.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I dunno. I can make my peace with Parks and Rec because I'm able to consider that there's ONE small town with ONE small semi functioning government department thanks to ONE really dedicated civil servant who is able to get through to ONE self described libertarian who isn't actually a sociopath.

Like its a Schur show. Its a sentimental sitcom about a thing we all know to be a terrible mess most of the time in real life and just creates a world where everyone is decent enough to try and clean it up. I'm not sure its something to take a lesson from but it makes me feel happy after a bad day of watching the news.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 22, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well see it's fiction so it doesn't matter what irl libertarians are like,

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean its just as true that real life Andys don't usually turn out to be loveable goofballs with good hearts who slowly mature when they find a supportive system and people who love and care for them. But its a nice thought.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I definitely feel satire has lost a lot of it's punch in general these days. It also doesn't age well anymore as reality races to push the baseline absurdity of civilization a little further. The attitudes/people/idealogies/whatever being satirized have their own bubbles where what they think is normal and what everyone feels and feeds back into their bias forcefield.

For those who get the satire and what's wrong with the thing being satirized, you kind of get to go "yup that is a bad thing to think that way too many people earnestly believe and act upon." Like maybe there is no catharsis of shaming in it anymore, every bubble its own industry, it feels like observational humor without a punchline.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I dunno. I can make my peace with Parks and Rec because I'm able to consider that there's ONE small town with ONE small semi functioning government department thanks to ONE really dedicated civil servant who is able to get through to ONE self described libertarian who isn't actually a sociopath.

Like its a Schur show. Its a sentimental sitcom about a thing we all know to be a terrible mess most of the time in real life and just creates a world where everyone is decent enough to try and clean it up. I'm not sure its something to take a lesson from but it makes me feel happy after a bad day of watching the news.

Maybe because I watched a lot of Christian and bible media as a kid on top of the kind of moral lesson format of many children's programming growing up, but I totally enjoy these types of shows for being a kind of false better world with deeply flawed people who still more or less tend towards good, altruism, empathy, respect, supporting community, etc in a comedic way.

The real life analogues of all the things in these sitcoms suck, and natural to want some escapism or deflation of those things to decompress. Brooklyn 99 is probably the most extreme disparity between wholesome workplace comedy and characters and the real world version. I can manage that, not sure what worse they can throw at me

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We'd all probably be doing a little better as a society if more people had paid attention to all those cheesy "don't be an rear end in a top hat" bits of media messaging growing up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

We'd all probably be doing a little better as a society if more people had paid attention to all those cheesy "don't be an rear end in a top hat" bits of media messaging growing up.

Just more proof that media doesn't meaningfully impact behavior

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

zoux posted:

I believe William Hearst would disagree with you. But then again, he's not the guy who asked for a literal paper bag test to happen, so who is to say?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well I'd never disagree with William Randolph Hearst.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1628451823852957697

:lmao: Brian Cox fuckin' rules.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Brian Cox has been saying some real dumb poo poo in interviews recently, like defending Rowling, but that one’s pretty hilarious

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd wanna see how he answered that question, he has kind of this faux-irascible man thing where he comedically overreacts to stuff, I don't think an actor of his age and position would be constantly slagging off his costar.

Of course, maybe he's just helping Jeremy Strong by playing the cold, unapproving father irl

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Oh, I've seen this show before! He's going to act like that didn't affect him and then cry about it in his car later

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

zoux posted:

Of course, maybe he's just helping Jeremy Strong by playing the cold, unapproving father irl

Yeah, my first thought was "Oh, so he's method acting, too?" :allears:

Escobarbarian posted:

Brian Cox has been saying some real dumb poo poo in interviews recently, like defending Rowling, but that one’s pretty hilarious

Oh, boo, I missed that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doesn't sound like he's transphobic, at least, just a tone cop

quote:

Cox, who plays patriarch Logan Roy on HBO’s Succession, recently appeared on the BBC talk program Sunday With Laura Kuenssberg. During the interview, the Scottish actor described himself as “very proud” that the country’s Parliament last month voted to approve legislation allowing transgender people to change their legal gender without requiring any medical diagnosis.

After calling the law “long-needed,” Cox was asked how he felt about the discourse surrounding Rowling, who has publicly opposed the Scottish legislation.

“I don’t like the way she’s been treated, actually,” Cox said. “I think she’s entitled to her opinion; she’s entitled to say what she feels. As a woman, she’s very much entitled to say what she feels about her own body, and there’s nobody better to say that, as a woman.”

Difficult to square the two opinions here, seems like one of them would have to be preeminent. Of course, British terfs aren't exactly coy about their views, so idk.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
There is so a huge movement to downplay and minimize her stance, so that most people don't even know about her comments and the ones that do seem to think she is painted in a bad light despite her own efforts. Who knows how much he actually knows/ reads about what she says.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
UK citizens and BBC literally don't have freedom of speech when it comes to Rowling. She will sue private citizens for accurately stating her views in the media.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah the first amendment causes us a lot of problems but at least we don't have insane european libel laws.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Don't worry, Florida is trying to fix that problem

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Difficult to square the two opinions here, seems like one of them would have to be preeminent. Of course, British terfs aren't exactly coy about their views, so idk.

I really hate that the straw man bullshit that challenging someone's bigoted opinions is the exact same thing as full on government censorship has caught on so well. This guy seems fully bought in.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Don't worry, Florida is trying to fix that problem

Yeah, Florida's HB 991 seems laser targeted to be unconstitutional. So I'm sure it'll stand just fine.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 22, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

IRQ posted:

I really hate that the straw man bullshit that challenging someone's bigoted opinions is the exact same thing as full on government censorship has caught on so well. This guy seems fully bought in.

My favorite was when the Duck Dynasty assholes got their show taken off the air for a while (due to one of them claiming that black people were happier during segregation and comparing same-sex marriage to bestiality) , all these rednecks claiming to be all-knowers of the Constitution suddenly started hollering about free speech, as if a private company firing an employee is the same thing as the government censoring them. :psyduck:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

zoux posted:

I really disagree with that -- advertising works, and propaganda works even better if you don't realize you are getting propagandized to. And double so if you are buying into that propaganda at a base level or out of spite.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

The thing is, it’s not “her being attacked for her opinion”. That’s the bullshit line people are being fed. She’s actually heavily involved in advocating for anti-trans groups and legislation over here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

The thing is, it’s not “her being attacked for her opinion”. That’s the bullshit line people are being fed. She’s actually heavily involved in advocating for anti-trans groups and legislation over here.

Yeah that's why I'm saying it's hard to square with his "being proud" that Scotland passed that gender bill, they're signaling opposite sentiments, they can't both be true.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Cancellations/Renewals:

Max cancelled Southside. Amazon, meanwhile, renewed The Rig.

Khanstant posted:

I definitely feel satire has lost a lot of it's punch in general these days. It also doesn't age well anymore as reality races to push the baseline absurdity of civilization a little further. The attitudes/people/idealogies/whatever being satirized have their own bubbles where what they think is normal and what everyone feels and feeds back into their bias forcefield.

For those who get the satire and what's wrong with the thing being satirized, you kind of get to go "yup that is a bad thing to think that way too many people earnestly believe and act upon." Like maybe there is no catharsis of shaming in it anymore, every bubble its own industry, it feels like observational humor without a punchline.

I think the crazy was always there -- people violently defending their belief in child pizzas doesn't seem that different from people killing people over the relative position of the sun.

The way a lot of satire failed to age very well just points out that a lot of older pieces were deeply out of touch, or were coming from a place of hypocrisy and reaction. (Even accounting for the fact that a story should largely be considered in context.) The Internet pops a lot of people's bubbles, and it does so at historically unprecedented speeds.

But it doesn't mean satire can't survive. If you look at something like Gormenghast or Brazil or Gulliver's Travels, they've not been revealed to be limited takes at all. And modern satires like Veep and Search Party and maybe Avenue 5 seem to be holding up decently well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok right yeah I feel you it’s all good I didn’t think you were saying anything pro-her anyway. The anti-trans lobby is just so huge and toxic in this country, and Rowling is so litigious that even rando no-name twitter users are getting threatened with legal action for posting stuff about her, it’s so unbelievably lovely and gross

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Cancellations/Renewals:

Max cancelled Southside.

drat. I may not remember anything about South Side despite watching all of it but it was a really fun “watch while hosed up on some kind of substance” show that also seemed like it deserved better than that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

In a just world, South Side would be the celebrated award winning show about Chicago and not the loving Bear.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
"You're a lunatic with a madman's dream of a milk-proof robot!" (American Dad, unsurprisingly) is one of my faves.

BonoMan posted:

I'm not really a Family Guy fan, but the scene where Peter forgets how to sit always killed me.

The entire extended Maude theme song though! "Amelia Earhart flew a lot of airplanes, except for that one time when she didn't come back!"

Also, this post is hella late, but I'm not really sure how to introduce it seamlessly even if the discussion is still kind of going on.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

In a just world, South Side would be the celebrated award winning show about Chicago and not the loving Bear.

The Bear is really loving good though tbh

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Not sure who are where to ask this weird question.

I've been streaming Arrested Development on Netflix prior to it getting removed in March, but I hopped on to watch an episode just now and it's no longer available, won't even come up in searches anymore. Did it get removed early?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Which episode?