Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The Butcher posted:

Checked if my fire extinguisher is actually full of booze.

It's not. But it's mostly not toxic. I checked the MSDS after the test.

From a safety perspective we should probably not store things that people want to drink in funny containers that may be mistaken as life saving equipment.

Yeah, well it's probably also not a great idea to store nerds in containers meant for book bags and gym clothes. Anyway, in the locker with ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I wish I could find a $5 ebay xbox 360 dongle. They're all $20+ now

Yeah back when I needed.one I ended up just buying a 360 controller so I could get the dongle since the dongle was as much as an on sale controller with dongle.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 24, 2023

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Welp, just spent $50 on enameled pins (I work at a high school, these are going to be fun to show off/give out).

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Welp, just spent $50 on enameled pins (I work at a high school, these are going to be fun to show off/give out).

Hope you got the bags of like 100 for 20 bucks (that always show up on my phone but never when i browse on pc....

here is one i found kinda

10/20/30/40/50/100pcs Diversity Random Badges Personalized Badges Pins Accessories For Cartoon Clothes Bag Metal Pins Sets

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Bluetooth 5.0 Audio Receiver Wireless Audio Receiver Adapter with 3D Bass Mode for Home Stereo TF Card RCA 3.5 AUX Jack

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGufBtF

Got one of these in the post today, perfect for wiring into the amp in the front room with the big speakers attached to play tunes from my phone / iPad. Pairs up no problem, solid bt connection with no drops. Don't think I'll need to use the twisty knob for next/prev tracks, but if you wanted wireless music in your car it could be useful.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Does it also have a transmit mode? I've tried about 3 BT transmitter gimmicks from Ali so far and not one has worked properly. They work fine as receivers though.

E: never mind, the listing explicitly says it's not a transmitter

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
What's the best in weird components and poo poo that I can build into 3D prints? I found these wireless phone chargers which seem like a great candidate to create customized wireless charging pads as gifts.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801686854881.html

There's a design for it on printables here, but I might just make my own:

https://www.printables.com/model/374963-desk-catch-all-with-wireless-charging

In any case it's gotten me interested in what other kinds of components I can order in bulk cheap off Aliexpress and turn into rad custom things. Anyone else doing anything like that?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Embed a speaker that will let out a little beep every rand(10,40) hours

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

L.E.Ds are extremely cheap so you can make custom night lights and displays, liquid switches and photosensors give you options for activation.
Also I'll bet there's plenty of available designs for toy cars and the like which only require adding a tiny engine and battery.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Bluetooth 5.0 Audio Receiver Wireless Audio Receiver Adapter with 3D Bass Mode for Home Stereo TF Card RCA 3.5 AUX Jack

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGufBtF

Got one of these in the post today, perfect for wiring into the amp in the front room with the big speakers attached to play tunes from my phone / iPad. Pairs up no problem, solid bt connection with no drops. Don't think I'll need to use the twisty knob for next/prev tracks, but if you wanted wireless music in your car it could be useful.

Looks like just what I need, so it's great to have your review of it.

Love that it has a Lotus Hole that can be connected with a Fancy Wire.

"TF card", though? It doesn't actually work with a modern micro-SD card? (Or do the Chinese simply refer to SD cards as the older TF name? Not that I'd ever use it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

"TF card", though? It doesn't actually work with a modern micro-SD card? (Or do the Chinese simply refer to SD cards as the older TF name? Not that I'd ever use it.

In my experience, the latter. I had aliexpress headphones that would play music off a "TF" card and any microsd I threw at it worked

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

What is a lotus hole? Google is obviously failing me hard here.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
From what I can tell, RCA plugs.

Is it the case that to play music from the "TF" card you have to download some third party app?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Yeah the RCA plug looks a bit like lotus leaves, I've seen it on a few AliX audio products. Haven't tried a SD card in my new widget, I'm guessing it would be OK if you didn't mind just going through a playlist of songs with no screen or way to shuffle them; I don't know if it even supports album folders or if you're just meant to dump all your mp3s into the root of the card.

edit: there's a button for a '3D Bass Boot' mode (that sounds awful), but a long-press on it is labelled as 'mode switch' which I'm guessing is between incoming Bluetooth and SD card inputs. As with a lot of these products, the instructions are vague if you're lucky.

edit edit: took a bit of hunting to find a microSD card and a PC USB card reader, but dropped a couple album folders and a loose MP3 in the root of the card, the widget takes the card OK (upside down) and then long-pressing the bass boost button switches modes, it will play the root mp3 first and then work through the album folders (I didn't check if it would go more than one folder deep) and you can step forwards / back with the knob twist (it only rotates about 45degrees either way, not a full rotary knob), I think adjust volume with knob-twist-holds, and play-pause by clicking the knob center.

No app needed for card playback.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 27, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah the RCA plug looks a bit like lotus leaves, I've seen it on a few AliX audio products. Haven't tried a SD card in my new widget, I'm guessing it would be OK if you didn't mind just going through a playlist of songs with no screen or way to shuffle them; I don't know if it even supports album folders or if you're just meant to dump all your mp3s into the root of the card.

edit: there's a button for a '3D Bass Boot' mode (that sounds awful), but a long-press on it is labelled as 'mode switch' which I'm guessing is between incoming Bluetooth and SD card inputs. As with a lot of these products, the instructions are vague if you're lucky.

edit edit: took a bit of hunting to find a microSD card and a PC USB card reader, but dropped a couple album folders and a loose MP3 in the root of the card, the widget takes the card OK (upside down) and then long-pressing the bass boost button switches modes, it will play the root mp3 first and then work through the album folders (I didn't check if it would go more than one folder deep) and you can step forwards / back with the knob twist (it only rotates about 45degrees either way, not a full rotary knob), I think adjust volume with knob-twist-holds, and play-pause by clicking the knob center.

No app needed for card playback.
Seems like something I have to get for my parents. Last time I stopped by, dad was blasting music directly though the phone's horrible speaker and it was making my ears very sad.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
This looks like the same product, minus the big stupid knob. (Why would anyone ever put this at less than maximum volume? Assuming you plug it in to a stereo or AVR, ideally it should run at line level and the volume should be controlled from your smartphone.)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004560884459.html

Considering getting this instead.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

This looks like the same product, minus the big stupid knob. (Why would anyone ever put this at less than maximum volume? Assuming you plug it in to a stereo or AVR, ideally it should run at line level and the volume should be controlled from your smartphone.)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004560884459.html

Considering getting this instead.

Yeah that would prob. be better for a house, the knob track switcher would suit not having to poke at your phone to skip a track while driving.

edit: :thunk: AliExpress: Easy Full Blood Resurrection

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 27, 2023

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm surprised this is the first time you're encountering that, every cheap Chinese card reader has used "TF card" to mean microSD since they were invented

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

At least it's not a half blood resurrection

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

flavor.flv posted:

I'm surprised this is the first time you're encountering that, every cheap Chinese card reader has used "TF card" to mean microSD since they were invented

To be fair to them "sd" cards are literally just an evolution of transflash
From what I understand for the most part they are pretty much just a serial interface to a controller on the chip, there isn't really anything smart needed in the device to talk to them.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

flavor.flv posted:

Let's say I recently discovered Aliexpress.

Anyway, they have an optical-output model, I think I'll change my mind to that, even though it has the stupid knob and no NFC. Surely all-digital is the way to go!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004707358620.html

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DJ4NJXR?amp=&amp=

I picked up one of these a while back to replace an old speaker amp, and apart from having to get a power supply for it off ebay, it's been great, if a little noisy at higher volumes. I'm pretty sure they also do bluetooth versions. Worth a look and possibly cheaper than ali, in some cases.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DollaTek-Bluetooth-Amplifier-Wireless-Receiver/dp/B083Q3D5ZY

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Looks like just what I need, so it's great to have your review of it.

Yeah it's one of those weird chinese-isms like U DISK, it means microSD

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
"U disk" is a direct Chinese translation of what they call "UBS drive" (as in thumb drive)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Microsd vs tf is simply kleenex vs tissue, it's a brand name that most of the public doesn't think of as a brand

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Let's say I recently discovered Aliexpress.

Anyway, they have an optical-output model, I think I'll change my mind to that, even though it has the stupid knob and no NFC. Surely all-digital is the way to go!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004707358620.html

Bought this one. Will review, whenever.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

"U disk" is a direct Chinese translation of what they call "UBS drive" (as in thumb drive)

Yeah but it still makes no sense

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

mobby_6kl posted:

I've had one of the $5 ebay ones working for years. There was some weirdness with the drivers but after that it worked fine.

Mine is the official Microsoft one, $30 years ago, and LOL for support, I guess. They never officially released Win10 drivers, just 8, and those stopped working on fairly recent versions of 10.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Darchangel posted:

Mine is the official Microsoft one, $30 years ago, and LOL for support, I guess. They never officially released Win10 drivers, just 8, and those stopped working on fairly recent versions of 10.

I read this as 30 years ago and tried to remember what Window version was released in 1992.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

norp posted:

To be fair to them "sd" cards are literally just an evolution of transflash
From what I understand for the most part they are pretty much just a serial interface to a controller on the chip, there isn't really anything smart needed in the device to talk to them.

They're actually 4-bit, it's not just serial. The SD people used to be somewhat secretive with the protocol, so a lot of low end/hobby projects used their SPI mode which *is* serial and much slower. I think it goes up to more bits, too, I have an SD card with a million pins but nothing that has that many pins on the receiving end, probably as they can just drive the 4-bit bus faster.

When you actually look into it, it's the same physical interface as "MMC" (e.g. those other cards you used to be able to buy for full size SD slots that included wifi, digital camera, etc. peripherals for old PDAs) and that appears to be how inside a lot of modern phones/laptops the wifi and flash memory will still be hooked up on the board, and they often *do* use all the pins for extra speed.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Suddenly I've had a series of bad aliexpress luck, first one seller sends me a completely wrong thing, but it's a $3 purchase so who cares.

Yesterday I received a combined shipment of two orders where one of the packages were missing from the bag. I tried to dispute which aliexpress immediately rejected as "tracking shows item was delivered"
I have tried to appeal but I don't have high hopes, it sucks because this time it was a $20 thing. And it's not even the sellers fault, it's the combined shipping service that aliexpress provides you without asking...

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I joined Banggood recently just to see what it's like and I honestly didn't even find something to buy with the new members coupons. That store is good maybe for drone building people and other than that they got very little to offer.
Are all the competing sites to AE like this, focused on one thing?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

By popular demand posted:

I joined Banggood recently just to see what it's like and I honestly didn't even find something to buy with the new members coupons. That store is good maybe for drone building people and other than that they got very little to offer.

I looked at Banggood for RC cars I couldn't find on Ali, and noticed there are more options for EU sellers. Like, maybe all those RC guys have a shop in the Czech Republic, idk.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

By popular demand posted:

I've been using Banggood for years and it was often better and cheaper than Aliexpress but lately it seems pretty crap :(

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I’ve only used banggood a couple of times and both times for “local warehouse stock” that was shipped from overseas and took months to arrive - to the point I was pestering them for a refund while they kept trying to fob me off with poo poo like “well it was in stock when you ordered it but someone else also ordered it and we had to get yours from elsewhere so it’s taking a *little bit* longer.

Pissed me off because their prices are okay but after that experience I just noped out.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I ordered an electric unicycle from banggood back in the day when EUC was very underpowered. I looked at banggood again when I was interested in building a FPV drone. But yeah I can't find anything else to buy.

I have never come across the super cheap mini chainsaw deal people bragged about in this thread.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 28, 2023

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/sSUb6Kl.mp4
€55,- euros for the pear levitator
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002055537828.html

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Put this cute penis plush on the pedestal
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...id=5rvc0SeHcIPj

mystes
May 31, 2006

this feels like an item that will restore hp in a video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

flavor.flv posted:

That is excellent advice and the Pro 2 in particular has a ton of extra features like programmable macros and such, but I will also say that if you find the right store you can still get ahold of the original design from before the C&D, and the novelty might just outweigh the ergonomics. Plus you can slip it into your pocket a lot more easily

I don't think this is true anymore--I tried to find one of these as a gift for a friend last year and spent waaay too much time over a period of weeks scouring AE (and a bunch of even sketchier websites) for it, only to have them cancel the order when I finally found one that was listed as in stock. I wound up getting one of the slightly-less-infringing SN30s and swapping out the face buttons, but it was hard to find that one at the time and now it seems to be impossible as well, so it probably got added to the naughty list too.

You should be able to do the same trick with the PSX-colored one that's still available; they all use the same spec for the face buttons as the original SNES/SFC controller, so you can find replacements all over the place for a few bucks. Swapping them out takes about ten minutes and a Torx screwdriver.

Modification chat aside, it's a very nice controller and the ergonomics are great as long as you aren't constantly using the thumbsticks. You aren't going to save much ordering it from AE over Amazon or wherever, FWIW.

EDIT:

ianmacdo posted:

I got one of those nintendo style 8bitdo ones, to use on my computer. and one downside is that the buttons are not the same as an xbox one i guess? So that in games the tutorials and quick help show the wrong button, so I i dont know what im supposed to press.

8BitDo actually sells replacement buttons for this exact use case.

Nestharken fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 28, 2023