Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

The thread for any zombie show is going to be roughly 30% media illiterate mooks who think the only reason they haven't succeeded at life is that there hasn't yet been a zombocalypse.

the absolute worst is when people stop talking about the show and start posting about posters instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Moltke posted:

the absolute worst is when people stop talking about the show and start posting about posters instead
*Scott Hall spooky fingers*

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Moltke posted:

season 1 of TWD was good, i remember enjoying it, but i see nothing new here. the joel/ellie story is boring and none of the side characters they introduced as a crutch are anywhere near ep 3 so far.

Ahhh yes season 1 of the walking dead where a cop dad has to save everyone is much better than this. Truly a sophisticated take.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Kwolok posted:

Ahhh yes season 1 of the walking dead where a cop dad has to save everyone is much better than this. Truly a sophisticated take.

it literally is. cop dad has a lot more depth than "just some dude" dad and it shows every episode they need to introduce a new character because of this essential problem. joel is just not that interesting.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Jesus that’s a take.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Moltke posted:

it literally is. cop dad has a lot more depth than "just some dude" dad and it shows every episode they need to introduce a new character because of this essential problem. joel is just not that interesting.

Source your quotes.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Kwolok posted:

Source your quotes.

Moltke posted:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The pilot for The Walking Dead absolutely ruled and was easily the best episode of the entire run by a country mile. It was legit great.

Total shame they decided to lock that title in by making nothing but dogshit after.

Anyway why are we talking about that in comparison to this show? Outside of genre-trappings of the settings, what do they have in common? They’re very different kinds of stories with different goals and tones too match. It’d be like comparing CSI Miami to Twin Peaks just because they both have cops.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Outside of genre-trappings of the settings

where is this show without the "genre trappings of the settings?" they didn't do mad max, the road, or even the postman. this is a zombie show and should be compared to other similar media.

its sort of like how something like a battlestar galactica managed to be its own thing despite being launched as a studio-directed star wars clone. this show is completely derivative and we should be looking to see what it adds, which to me (aside from e3) is not much besides a higher budget.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Is every show with zombies in it a zombie show? Like if for some unspeakable reason they made a show out of Zombieland, would you compare it to both of them? Would you compare Boardwalk Empire and Downton Abbey because they both take place in the 1920’s? Like I’m down to do this but it’s rapidly going to get very silly.

One’s an ensemble survival-horror and the other is a travel drama with one large A story framing occasional self-contained (?) B stories : no poo poo they’re gonna have different pacing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

*posts garbage rear end hot take with no support from a remotely charitable reading of the show*

"This hot take sucks"

"omg stop talking about posters!!"

:ironicat:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

The pilot for The Walking Dead absolutely ruled and was easily the best episode of the entire run by a country mile. It was legit great.

Total shame they decided to lock that title in by making nothing but dogshit after.

Anyway why are we talking about that in comparison to this show? Outside of genre-trappings of the settings, what do they have in common? They’re very different kinds of stories with different goals and tones too match. It’d be like comparing CSI Miami to Twin Peaks just because they both have cops.

For me, The Walking Dead ended when they blew up the CDC building in Atlanta and drove off into the sunset at the end of Season 1, because that's about where my solid memory of the show comes to an end. I remember bits and pieces of Seasons 1 to 4, but not enough to piece together anything concrete. But yeah, they really should have just ended the drat show on Rick helping Glenn make it to the car and Glenn driving off down the highway hooting and hollering in glee of actually surviving to get the hell out of Atlanta. End the show where the pilot ends.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Xiahou Dun posted:

It’d be like comparing CSI Miami to Twin Peaks just because they both have cops.

I’ve got some theories that are gonna blow your mind.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

zelah posted:

I’ve got some theories that are gonna blow your mind.

Just picturing Agent Cooper doing the Caruso sunglasses thing is pretty funny.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Just caught up with last week’s episode and I liked it a lot. I really appreciated seeing the contrast of Jackson Hole’s prosperity and peace because it’s a genuinely interesting feature in a post apocalyptic setting. I also liked the character development we got here, and like everyone else I really liked seeing the Northern Exposure couple back on screen again.

I do have to say, however, that while I’m invested in Joel and Ellie as characters, their relationship and narrative are pretty rote so far. Bill and Frank’s story was so engaging because it was a unique post apocalyptic narrative told by two excellent actors, including one playing against type. The gruff father figure who progressively comes to feel affection for the spunky teenage girl he’s charged with protecting is well trodden ground.

I haven’t played the games but I did spoil myself in their plot a while back when I wasn’t sure whether to stick with the show and (not an actual spoiler, but spoiled to keep from any issues) it sounds like the plot of TLoU2 is much more complex than this, and would probably make for richer TV drama material.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

The thread for any zombie show is going to be roughly 30% media illiterate mooks who think the only reason they haven't succeeded at life is that there hasn't yet been a zombocalypse.

gently caress the apocalypse, when the internet temporarily goes down I don't know what to do anymore, there's no noise, all the stuff I like to see and do is gone. I'm not going to kill anything or sort of growing food. I'm also never going to ride in the back of any truck ever again so the soldiers can just shoot me at my house

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thank you for that. I needed a chuckle tonight.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

When the apocalypse happens and I lose internet access, I'll recreate the experience by alternately looking at two post-it notes on which I've written "lol" and "lmao"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Chamale posted:

When the apocalypse happens and I lose internet access, I'll recreate the experience by alternately looking at two post-it notes on which I've written "lol" and "lmao"

I’m just envisioning this, and now i’m cackling like a maniac at 1 in the morning.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I’m chuckling about a globe full of nerds forced to live like Ro Pats in The Lighthouse.

It gets better if you assume Defoe is still there shouting “monkeypump”.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

LividLiquid posted:

People can be complete failures at life and have opinions on a stupid TV show, or at least I hope so.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What are you talking about, now?

EugeneDebsWasCool
Nov 10, 2017
Buglord

MeinPanzer posted:

I do have to say, however, that while I’m invested in Joel and Ellie as characters, their relationship and narrative are pretty rote so far. Bill and Frank’s story was so engaging because it was a unique post apocalyptic narrative told by two excellent actors, including one playing against type. The gruff father figure who progressively comes to feel affection for the spunky teenage girl he’s charged with protecting is well trodden ground.

I've seen people say this without giving any real examples. If this is well trodden ground in post-apocalyptic fiction what stories are you thinking of? Or even road trip stories?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i suppose off the top of my head, the road also features a gruff man guiding a child through a journey, and children of men has many plot elements in common with last of us re: a gruff man leads a saviour woman on a journey to a anti-government faction who wants to save the world. actually it's very similar, the woman who tasks clive owen with the job even dies early on, she plays a similar role to tess.

i don't watch loads of post-apocalypse stuff but i really don't think last of us is doing anything new. it uses all the usual genre elements and even indulges in the usual handwaving about fuel, food, etc.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 26, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The tour group interrupted Mike Pence bonding with Shimmer.

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is every show with zombies in it a zombie show? Like if for some unspeakable reason they made a show out of Zombieland, would you compare it to both of them?

yes, a zombieland show would be comparable to TLOU because it is a zombie show, and it would probably be a more interesting concept than what TLOU is doing (outside of ep3).

Xiahou Dun posted:

Would you compare Boardwalk Empire and Downton Abbey because they both take place in the 1920’s? Like I’m down to do this but it’s rapidly going to get very silly.

One’s an ensemble survival-horror and the other is a travel drama with one large A story framing occasional self-contained (?) B stories : no poo poo they’re gonna have different pacing.

i'm not sure that i would be comparing boardwalk empire and downton abbey in TLOU thread. i supposed someone could do that if it were relevant.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Great now I have to picture Mr. Carson and the Dowager Countess fighting off mushroom zombies all day.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
gay mr. pamuk deflowering bill and dying of a heart attack the next day

Moltke
May 13, 2009
is there a way we can compare 2 pieces of similar media without being forced to compare things like darth vader and frankenstein? posters itt are hard at work on this epistemological problem

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I think arguing that Zombieland and TLOU are in any way comparable pieces of media says more about you than anything else. They feature zombies but they aren't of similar genre, tone, or basically anything whatsoever. It's like trying to compare Without a Paddle and Deliverance.

I feel like the 'gruff man leading girl through journey and slowly bonding' feels like more of a cliche than it actually is because it is fairly common in cinema generally (Leon, Man on Fire, etc.) but I really don't think I've seen it done post-apocalyptically. The Road doesn't work because they're already father and son, Viggo doesn't spend half the first movie ignoring his son out of resentment (the movie's quite depressing enough). I'm finding them both really likeable and I'm rooting for them which, for me, is half the battle with any TV show or movie, actually caring about the characters. I do here because they do feel like real people, down to Ellie being weirdly nonchalant because of course she is, she grew up in this world.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Moltke posted:

is there a way we can compare 2 pieces of similar media without being forced to compare things like darth vader and frankenstein? posters itt are hard at work on this epistemological problem

Have you considered taking a class on media literacy?

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I skipped episode three.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This loving guy eh

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kwolok posted:

Have you considered taking a class on media literacy?

it's Darth's Vader, Darth is the creator and Vader is the monster

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Never mind

WHY BONER NOW fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 26, 2023

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
how loving hard is it not to play this coy spoiler poo poo in the non spoiler thread

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Yeah this is the non-spoiler thread so please don't even post spoilers in spoilers. Go somewhere else.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
FWIW those are both absolute non-spoilers

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yeah sorry I wasn't trying to be cute or whatever, I'll remove it though so there's no black bars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ellie's swearing is really irritating to me but I appreciate that other characters in the show feel the same way like the District Attorney lady and the Graham Greene character.