Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

fullroundaction posted:

True Detective s1 being just slightly better than this show is a take I enjoyed reading on my telephone this morning.

I don't understand at all either. This is a good show on its own, but as they say, 'comparison is the thief of joy'. If I wanted to base my enjoyment on a show if it is good as something like 'Mad Men' or 'The Wire', I wouldn't enjoy anything. Also, if you allow yourself, you can enjoy a show that is a 7 or 8, even more than one that is a true 10 out 10 at times. Even my namesake on here is from a show that is deeply flawed and has some real low points (season 4 looking at you), but I still love it. Same with shows like BSG. Myself, I would never claim that the TLOU is at that level of truly prestige TV, but like I said it has zero effect on my enjoyment.

Danger posted:

Especially when The Leftovers exists as the actual high water mark.

I am a defender of season 1 of The Leftovers, but it doesn't make it into my top 10. It can't overcome the HBO shows from the 2000's or AMC's high point (to be honest I would even put Halt & Catch Fire higher on my list). That said it is at a level quality wise, that it is in the conversation and comparing it to the best of prestige TV doesn't tarnish it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Danger posted:

How did you get through Chernobyl?

Mainly waiting for references to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. there weren't any.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

nate fisher posted:

I don't understand at all either. This is a good show on its own, but as they say, 'comparison is the thief of joy'. If I wanted to base my enjoyment on a show if it is good as something like 'Mad Men' or 'The Wire', I wouldn't enjoy anything. Also, if you allow yourself, you can enjoy a show that is a 7 or 8, even more than one that is a true 10 out 10 at times. Even my namesake on here is from a show that is deeply flawed and has some real low points (season 4 looking at you), but I still love it. Same with shows like BSG. Myself, I would never claim that the TLOU is at that level of truly prestige TV, but like I said it has zero effect on my enjoyment.

I am a defender of season 1 of The Leftovers, but it doesn't make it into my top 10. It can't overcome the HBO shows from the 2000's or AMC's high point (to be honest I would even put Halt & Catch Fire higher on my list). That said it is at a level quality wise, that it is in the conversation and comparing it to the best of prestige TV doesn't tarnish it at all.

Season 1 is ok; season 2 and 3 are transcendent and absolutely the best shows, with the best singular episodes, of at least the previous decade.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I was gonna say, why isn't the arcade MK3, UMK3 or even the dog poo poo MK4. But looked like a retro place and of course youre gonna have the omegatier MK2 out. Surprised we didn't see Street Fighter Alpha or SF 2/2T/3. :3: I did see they went by Medieval Madness pinball - one of the greats.

Good episode though - Storm Reid from Euphoria really knocked it out the park - perhaps learned a ton from Zendaya?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Also the Wire is incredibly overrated.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I think there is definitely some charm in Mortal Kombat 2 being Ellie's gold standard. And yeah, the episode itself wasn't all that amazing- the dialogue felt a bit stilted, but the acting was truly next level from actors of that age. And it absolutely succeeded in giving Ellie some needed depth. Of course she's bratty, angry, spiteful, etc....she had one moment of bliss before having it stolen from her.

Definitely the weakest individual episode IMO, but still a solid addition to the overall story. I do agree with the above poster that said earlier episodes were more trusting in the audience. This episode could have been trimmed to 30 minutes of flashback and retained the impact.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

It's canonically where it happens in the game too but the game actually warns you not to play it until you finish.

Ahh, I played through before left behind was released, thought it was standalone.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Danger posted:

:getout:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Danger posted:

That's a loving take.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I know the recent take is The Sopranos is overrated (people say it didn't age well), but The Wire is 'incredibly overrated? While I disagree about The Sopranos (it dropped a few spots on a rewatch last year, but still top 5 for me), I can see the criticisms given what has come since. That said The Wire being overrated I can't get behind. One could argue it was too slow for them, but what The Wire did hasn't been touched since. Not my top show of all-time but close.

Edit: I see you have a 2023 reg date, how old are you? I wonder if this just how younger people now feel about The Wire, while people who watched it while it aired feel completely different. My son, who is 22, rewatched The Sopranos and Deadwood with me (he loved them both), but I am afraid The Wire is too slow paced for him. I might go with Mad Men for our next watch (me a rewatch, him a first-time watch).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 27, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

freebooter posted:

A counterpoint to this is when they're jogging in the gym (which in itself is a good touch - the outside, even in the heart of FEDRA-dominated Boston, isn't secure enough for jogging!) there are still the old sports banners hanging from the rafters. This would be fine and even a good touch if it had been a year or two, but in twenty years has nobody in FEDRA thought that maybe those reminders of the past are depressing for their young recruits and bothered to send someone up with a ladder to remove them?

FEDRA is canonically full of absolute idiots though. Second only to the Fireflies in terms of number of idiots by volume.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Danger posted:

Season 1 is ok; season 2 and 3 are transcendent and absolutely the best shows, with the best singular episodes, of at least the previous decade.

Oh good another chance for me to also agree International Assassin is the best episode of a show to ever be put on television.

Until s3e8 of Twin Peaks. Now they're both the best.

Anyway, I'm unfamiliar with the meta / where we are in relation to the pacing of the actual games. Is the assumption that s1 = mostly game 1 and s2 will = mostly game 2? Are they planning on continuing past the games and doing original content if the show is a massive hit? Just curious because surpassing the source material makes me really nervous thanks to GoT.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unknown at this time if season 1 goes passed the ending of the game or not.

Future's also not clear, but at least in this case the primary writer of the games (2 had a co-writer) is a producer and co-running the show.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Man some of yall are nuts this episode ruled. Who gives a poo poo if you "know the outcome" of them going to the mall. Two amazing performances all the way through.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

covidstomper58 posted:

Yeah I did miss that, I kind of checked out while watching the episode because none of it mattered since it was a flashback and we knew the outcome many episodes ago.

It's so cool coming into these threads and hearing this sort of insight from people watching their very first tv show.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I know the recent take is The Sopranos is overrated (people say it didn't age well), but The Wire is 'incredibly overrated? While I disagree about The Sopranos (it dropped a few spots on a rewatch last year, but still top 5 for me), I can see the criticisms given what has come since. That said The Wire being overrated I can't get behind. One could argue it was too slow for them, but what The Wire did hasn't been touched since. Not my top show of all-time but close.

Edit: I see you have a 2023 reg date, how old are you? I wonder if this just how younger people now feel about The Wire, while people who watched it while it aired feel completely different. My son, who is 22, rewatched The Sopranos and Deadwood with me (he loved them both), but I am afraid The Wire is too slow paced for him. I might go with Mad Men for our next watch (me a rewatch, him a first-time watch).

I have a 2004 regdate (lol regdates). I watched Sopranos and The Wire as they aired. Sopranos most definitely is not overrated and continues to be one of the best and funniest shows ever written. The Wire tends to the navel gazing lib nonsense very hard that ultimately has more in common with reactionary narratives about the inner city than anything else.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, put me in the camp of this was just ok. So far the season has been about an 8 for me. Glad I'm watching it but not best of the best or anything.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

fullroundaction posted:

Oh good another chance for me to also agree International Assassin is the best episode of a show to ever be put on television.

Until s3e8 of Twin Peaks. Now they're both the best.

Yep and Yep.

I'd also add The Most Dangerous Man in the World and his Identical Twin Brother.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

fullroundaction posted:

Anyway, I'm unfamiliar with the meta / where we are in relation to the pacing of the actual games. Is the assumption that s1 = mostly game 1 and s2 will = mostly game 2? Are they planning on continuing past the games and doing original content if the show is a massive hit? Just curious because surpassing the source material makes me really nervous thanks to GoT.

From the various interviews and soundbites, it seems it's S1 = game 1; S2 & S3 = game 2. Given it's doubtful they'll let the show go ahead of the games and given a third instalment is unlikely before 2027, I'm thinking we just get three seasons then maybe revisit things in a decade if there's still interest and the actors want to do it.

No actual story details above.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Danger posted:

I have a 2004 regdate (lol regdates). I watched Sopranos and The Wire as they aired. Sopranos most definitely is not overrated and continues to be one of the best and funniest shows ever written. The Wire tends to the navel gazing lib nonsense very hard that ultimately has more in common with reactionary narratives about the inner city than anything else.

Sorry fellow 2004 reg, I looked at it wrong (saw 2023 which was postdate). I will at least agree, The Sopranos is funny as hell, and it gets funnier every time I rewatch it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Not everything has to be mind blasting - just don't be dull.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

This show is fine and entertaining but it’s certainly not like groundbreaking or anything.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not my observation, but the societies depicted here are all very backwards looking (compare with Station Eleven, whose central conflict concerns a generational divide between pre-apocalypse survivors who can't move on, and the apocalypse generation who are trying to build their own customs and beliefs).

I can buy that Ellie's obsessed with the past, because there's always going to be someone like that, but part of me wonders whether that might be an outlier attitude -- seems like it might be a nerdy niche interest. I suspect they'd be huge swathes of kids who just look at escalators and carousels and old movies and just reject them, rather than find them fascinating spectacles, particularly given that twenty years have passed and most of this poo poo would have either been packed up or just degraded.

(BTW, what are your 10/10's from the last decade, if you have any. Not trying for a gotcha, this poo poo's so subjective. Just interested in what might resonate with a fellow Australian.)

I buy that many will not overly concern themselves with things they cannot have, but I don't think it would be unusual at all to be curious about the very recent past that caused the lovely world to be the way it was, as well as interest in the things they had before. The stuff she was amazed at would be amazing the first time anyone saw it, was exciting the first times we encountered them as children before getting used to it all.

Given how little folks seem to have, and how poo poo mostly looks like blasted ruins filled with mushroom monsters, or safe zones beset by authoritarians, they would find magical sights and locations to be magical sights and locations. The "too cool for the past" attitude seems like it would be the fringe position of some bitter individuals or a sect of people going to extremes with that concept as the new world coping mechanism.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kazzah posted:

There have been two flashback episodes, man.
I shouldn't have said every episode, but I didn't just mean the entire-episode flashbacks. With Kathleen and Henry's story, I felt like giving us their immediate backstory right after Joel and Ellie arrive was pretty unnecessary too. I'm not saying I hate these characters or the segments are terrible, it just started to feel like there's a bit of a "here's a new character, here's their backstory, now they die" formula that conveniently fills time.

Martman fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 27, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

nate fisher posted:

There's a certain kind of person who really, really likes genre TV but can't bring themselves to admit it, so they're constantly comparing trash genre shows (which they continue to watch of course) against super high-end prestige stuff to prove that they're watching this genre trash but they don't like it.

I don't know. It's such a common behavior in any discussion related to genre stuff that I don't know how people still manage to do it without being incredibly self-aware about what they're doing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Prestige TV has a really high ratio of complete bummers I'll gladly avoid. I know cops suck I don't need to watch the Shield about it, hard pass.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Prestige TV has a really high ratio of complete bummers I'll gladly avoid. I know cops suck I don't need to watch the Shield about it, hard pass.

Well you should because The Shield rules

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

It's the best when they pick like, the best examples of genre stuff as low points or something. Watching The Shield through all seasons as it aired was a wild ride.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

banned from Starbucks posted:

Man some of yall are nuts this episode ruled. Who gives a poo poo if you "know the outcome" of them going to the mall. Two amazing performances all the way through.

Yeah, there was a lot to like about this episode even though the outcome was known.

Ellie's amazement at the moving stairs was great. I remember when the first shopping mall was built in my shithole town back in the 80s and 8-year old me doing all that dumb stuff on the escalators, even though I already knew what an escalator was.

And yeah, we knew she got bit in the mall. We didn't know that she was in love with her best friend, came out to her, had a beautiful moment and then got it ripped away from her.

It also recontextualises some previous story points. After Ellie shoots that guy that's beating on Joel back in the city she says it wasn't the first time. At that time Ellie was basically a loudmouth kid and it came across as maybe her lying or exaggerating to make herself seem tough.

But she had this moment of first love and at some point in the hours or days afterwards had to put a bullet in her girlfriend's head while she herself remained uninfected. That's some serious trauma and survivor guilt that would gently caress anyone right up.

I went back and watched those scenes from episode 4 and with hindsight it's pretty clear she didn't give a poo poo about shooting Brian, and her whole emotional response was based on the last time she had to shoot someone.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Now I enjoyed this episode don’t get me wrong but does it beat the real life excitement of watching the very similar Cheltenham Festival? I’m just not sure.

In all seriousness probably my weakest ep so far but I suspect that might be for a similar reason to the guy who said he just wasn’t in the mood. I think I also just really wanted to see what would actually happen next with the story. It was beautifully shot and acted though.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Nothing will ever top the three silent minutes of a man sweeping a bar floor in Twin Peaks S3. This is not a joke post.

I don’t need this to be the best show ever, but I love that’s it’s a great adaptation to a story I like with great acting. It’s okay to hoot and holler and stomp your feet when the zombo gets stabbed.

Jakabite posted:

It was beautifully shot and acted though.

The whole carousel part with the lighting and the palpable excited tension and anxiety that comes from being a youth about to confess your feelings to a crush. Perfect, to me.

zelah fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 27, 2023

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I hope they went back to that taco place in the mall and found some shift worker's weed stash to spend their last moments together with.

My only gripe is the needle and thread Ellie found should not be saving Joel's life. He got gut stabbed with a jagged shard of wood. He dead. Even if there was a full team of EMTs there and he was rushed straight to surgery his chances wouldn't be good.

Like just make it so the raider guy had a blade and got a good swipe at Joel that caused a lot of bleeding but didn't puncture major organs.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Yeah, it's a bit of an issue, but she's trying, is the point. There is no way to get out of either the stabbing or a dirty needle and thread without getting a pretty serious to life-ending-without-injectable-antibiotics level infection, at the very least, if it did miss vital organs - it was pretty low/to the side so that's somewhat plausible.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Justin Credible posted:

Yeah, it's a bit of an issue, but she's trying, is the point. There is no way to get out of either the stabbing or a dirty needle and thread without getting a pretty serious to life-ending-without-injectable-antibiotics level infection, at the very least, if it did miss vital organs - it was pretty low/to the side so that's somewhat plausible.

Plus, she had his flask. From my tv-based understanding, a splash of any medical or drinking alcohol onto an open wound will neutralize any potential infection.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

My only gripe is the needle and thread Ellie found should not be saving Joel's life. He got gut stabbed with a jagged shard of wood. He dead. Even if there was a full team of EMTs there and he was rushed straight to surgery his chances wouldn't be good.

Like just make it so the raider guy had a blade and got a good swipe at Joel that caused a lot of bleeding but didn't puncture major organs.

People survive all kinds of insane poo poo though, it's not like it's impossible. Just unlikely.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

To be fair, I think it's a 'better than nothing' approach but pouring booze into an open wound is not likely to do the patient many favors. Getting it on the needle and maybe thread before cramming it into flesh would be a decent option though.

Sentinel Red posted:

People survive all kinds of insane poo poo though, it's not like it's impossible. Just unlikely.

8 shots, by a firing squad. With rifles. AND an execution coupe-de-grace headshot. With 1915-level medical care.

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 27, 2023

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
drat, Justin, that's a find. I was thinking of the old timey dude who shot a rail spike in his brain, or the stewardess who fell 30,000 feet.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

It's not like it penned the muscle wall all the way into the abdoninal cavity, yeah?

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Sentinel Red posted:

drat, Justin, that's a find. I was thinking of the old timey dude who shot a rail spike in his brain, or the stewardess who fell 30,000 feet.

Had Ripley's books in my childhood. That one always stuck in my brain much like a railroad spike

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wenceslao_Moguel

War veterans surviving being cut in half, and in terms of like gut injuries that one guy who basically has almost no digestive system, has to constantly eat because his system extracts very little because of the short tract and most comes out as it goes in. Oh and he has to like manually move food down his chest. That one is wild.

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I hope they went back to that taco place in the mall and found some shift worker's weed stash to spend their last moments together with.

well in the game it was a piece of rebar he fell onto that went all the way through him so this is less implausible at least