Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

BrotherJayne posted:

It's not like it penned the muscle wall all the way into the abdoninal cavity, yeah?

its not that insane to survive his wound as long as it did not penetrate his organs and missed a critical artery. Given how sloppy the stab was its not a stretch at all that its just a nasty, bad stab wound but is not fatal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Also gut wounds, even ones that penetrate the intestines, the person can live for days. It's about as bad of living as it gets, to be sure, but that's the reality of gut wounds. One of the worst ways to die.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

In Starship Troopers Denise Richards gets two giant alien claws stabbed clean through her chest and is fine a few minutes later, so a little bit of wood in the guts shouldn't be a problem at all.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
The episode was fine. At this point in the season I've adjusted my initial "Chernobyl"-level expectations and am happy to casually enjoy the show and overlook the smaller stuff.

My opinions overall match what several people have already said. There were definitely parts that felt clunky - I had a longer paragraph here but couldn't really pin down my complaints - and while it slotted in well with the main plot I don't know if it was necessary to dedicate the entire episode to it. But if I don't overthink it... the set dressing was neat, plenty of creative scene lighting, it was nice to get more (really, any) background for Ellie, etc.

I was a little surprised that the rooftop jumping bit apparently isn't from the game. That one felt like a perfect example of quicktime event turned into an (underwhelming) live-action scene.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Joel got stabbed in almost the exact spot that Bill was shot in. It's a perfect location for dramatic tension - if it missed the intestines and liver it's a serious but survivable wound, but half an inch inwards and it pierces the intestines causing a long and painful death.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
People in TV shows have superhuman health and strength unless specifically shown otherwise for some plot reason or other. Just like how in all fiction you can "knock people out" by bonking them on the head and they just wake up later instead of being brain-dead, severely concussed, or in a coma.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its pretty unrealistic but its not implausible that he'd survive. He's more likely to die from a infection than the actual stab wound to the abdomen.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I also found this one a little dull. I felt with Bill's episode I learned more about what life is like since the apocalypse (it CAN be quiet, even) but this felt all a bit strange.
I think for me not actually seeing the infected bite either of them but them having bites in really obvious places made it feel like when someone dies in a cutscene in a game. I mean we all knew it was going to happen but it felt like an awkward way of doing it.

Showing him waking up AGES before anything happened also felt weird as well.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was already waiting for an attack the entire time at the mall, even though they tried to be like "no don't worry this isn't a zombie zone." A) I'm just not going to believe the show telling me that and B) Dawn of the Dead(I think?) was the first zombie movie I remember seeing and the mall is for many reasons a fun set for a zombie attack.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Taear posted:

Showing him waking up AGES before anything happened also felt weird as well.

Lot of noisy poo poo in that mall, thing was probably floating around all over the place until the mobile disco got going.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Khanstant posted:

People in TV shows have superhuman health and strength unless specifically shown otherwise for some plot reason or other. Just like how in all fiction you can "knock people out" by bonking them on the head and they just wake up later instead of being brain-dead, severely concussed, or in a coma.

I remember this from Walking Dead season 2. And I might have a mandela effect from the thread at the time that someone said, oh iron fence through the kneecap, after the doctor sees him he's going to be messed up for like a day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPX4XtuXHis

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

This was the weakest episode of the series so far for me. I’m not exactly sure why. It felt like they were simultaneously trying to ratchet down the tension to let the magical night at the mall storyline breathe, and ratchet up the tension to get to the bitey-bite outcome.

To be honest, I didn’t feel much chemistry between the two girls. It felt kind of … I don’t know, forced? A lot of set up in this episode felt contrived. And, honestly, I couldn’t get it out of my head that this was a 17 year old and a 14 year old. Maybe I’m weird, but when I was 17 I would never consider a 14 year old worth being a ‘love interest’. That 3 year difference feels huge at that age. I know the context of the world in the show is wildly different, but it still gave me a bit of an ‘ick’ feeling.

The dialogue wasn’t great. The logical inconsistencies with what they were doing in the mall vs. what has been established with fungus zombies honing in on sound bugged me. They never unplugged that Walkman, so I guess the attack happened with Etta crooning in the background. That would have been an interesting touch. Of course, the music just fades out so you can concentrate on the tension. Again, it just felt too contrived and unrealistic.

Maybe I’m being nit picky. Anyways, subjectively I still think the series rocks. Definitely looking forward to the next episodes!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I absolutely loved this latest episode. The show has been just "ok" for me until now, and I really enjoyed the mall.

Maybe it was just the Cure song idk.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I think just one or two wonders of the mall would have been enough

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ellie's reaction to the electric staircase was adorable. The fourth and fifth wonders were "Let's get EVEN LOUDER just to make sure a zombie attacks to move the plot along."

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I was stressed out the entire episode starting with Ellie having roll call or something in 2 hours, all that noise they were making, all those lights with that very prominent skylight a goon pointed out earlier. Waking up a fungoid was just formalizing the fact that something was going to crack and it was maddening waiting for it to happen. Escalator and Carousel were pure magic though, even my anxiety took a break for a minute.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chamale posted:

Ellie's reaction to the electric staircase was adorable. The fourth and fifth wonders were "Let's get EVEN LOUDER just to make sure a zombie attacks to move the plot along."

I like that it wasn't even the wonders that woke it up, it was then just them laughing and reacting that alerted it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It also looked like it was fairly close in condition to that zombie that Joel and Tess discovered in the first episode, where it had basically wasted away without access to any kind of nutrition (i.e, humans and other fungus). So I wonder if it was basically on death's door and it took all that noise to finally rouse it enough to get up and start moving again?

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

It's reasonable. It seems like when they go into that dormant sort of state the fungus spreads out in all directions, looking to connect to the larger network, expending all it's energy from the host until it can no longer spread out, then dies.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Remy Marathe posted:

I was stressed out the entire episode starting with Ellie having roll call or something in 2 hours, all that noise they were making, all those lights with that very prominent skylight a goon pointed out earlier.

I got unreasonably concerned about them dancing on a glass counter. I knew it wasn't going to happen, but I kept imagining the glass suddenly shattering and slicing the hell out of their ankles

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Right before they go into that museum in episode one Joel looks at a tendril on the ground and says, "it's bone dry," and then they proceed inside. It makes sense that fungus would need moisture too. A dry infected is a dead infected.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

404notfound posted:

I got unreasonably concerned about them dancing on a glass counter. I knew it wasn't going to happen, but I kept imagining the glass suddenly shattering and slicing the hell out of their ankles

I thought it was another great example of them acting with exuberant teen abandon and ignoring obvious dangers in a protracted moment of joyous release, just like when they almost ran into the FEDRA patrol and were making all that noise running across rooftops and the other times. Even in a zombie-infested postapocalyptic hellworld, kids will be kids.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not my observation, but the societies depicted here are all very backwards looking (compare with Station Eleven, whose central conflict concerns a generational divide between pre-apocalypse survivors who can't move on, and the apocalypse generation who are trying to build their own customs and beliefs).

I can buy that Ellie's obsessed with the past, because there's always going to be someone like that, but part of me wonders whether that might be an outlier attitude -- seems like it might be a nerdy niche interest. I suspect they'd be huge swathes of kids who just look at escalators and carousels and old movies and just reject them, rather than find them fascinating spectacles, particularly given that twenty years have passed and most of this poo poo would have either been packed up or just degraded.

(BTW, what are your 10/10's from the last decade, if you have any. Not trying for a gotcha, this poo poo's so subjective. Just interested in what might resonate with a fellow Australian.)

Station Eleven slots into the category of something I personally bounced off (I think every single aspect of it really strong except the melodramatic script) but am glad I watched and glad exists.

Off the top of my head, non-comedy 9/10s and 10/10s debuts for me over the past decade:

Better Call Saul
The Terror s1 (imo far and away the most underrated show of the decade)
Mr In Between
The Leftovers
Barry

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

freebooter posted:

I just rewatched this a few days ago on a whim because I really enjoyed it and I really enjoyed it once again. Definitely underrated - I mean, I looked at the wiki page and it went from 3.3 million viewers on the first episode to 1.3 on the second and dropped from there!

Never watched S2 but I might check it out soon.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

roomtone posted:

I just rewatched this a few days ago on a whim because I really enjoyed it and I really enjoyed it once again. Definitely underrated - I mean, I looked at the wiki page and it went from 3.3 million viewers on the first episode to 1.3 on the second and dropped from there!

Never watched S2 but I might check it out soon.

Season 2 is a huge drop, mostly because the lead is pretty bad. I gave up about half way through.

I thought this episode was the weakest of the season as well, not bad was hoping to feel. something more from the relationship.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Succession is the best show of the last ten years hands down. This is just about an 8 for me I’d say. For some reason I totally bounced off Chernobyl and I’d give TD s1 a 9.

E: I’m also very upset that bad poster ignored my Deliverance-Without a Paddle comparison :(

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I will hold up my hands and admit I bounced off The Terror after the first ep, just wasn’t doing anything for me despite the excellent leads.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

deoju posted:

Right before they go into that museum in episode one Joel looks at a tendril on the ground and says, "it's bone dry," and then they proceed inside. It makes sense that fungus would need moisture too. A dry infected is a dead infected.

Yeah, thats why a few weeks ago I was talking about how one of the big knocks on fedra is compared to Romero zombies, this type can be worked around and going on 20 years after the event its their own failure that more areas are not safe and QZs are so dilapidated. The vast majority of the initial infected are dead, they have detectors that work in an instant, and 20 years of knowledge on how to kill them. There just are not that many new infected being created compared to the number that could be killed off by determined and organized people.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I can't believe a show would spend an entire episode fleshing out an aspect of one of the main characters' background.

SirPablo fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 28, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Better to spend that episode fleshing it out IMO.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

nate fisher posted:

I know the recent take is The Sopranos is overrated (people say it didn't age well), but The Wire is 'incredibly overrated? While I disagree about The Sopranos (it dropped a few spots on a rewatch last year, but still top 5 for me), I can see the criticisms given what has come since. That said The Wire being overrated I can't get behind. One could argue it was too slow for them, but what The Wire did hasn't been touched since. Not my top show of all-time but close.

Edit: I see you have a 2023 reg date, how old are you? I wonder if this just how younger people now feel about The Wire, while people who watched it while it aired feel completely different. My son, who is 22, rewatched The Sopranos and Deadwood with me (he loved them both), but I am afraid The Wire is too slow paced for him. I might go with Mad Men for our next watch (me a rewatch, him a first-time watch).

I mean, I'm barely older than your son yet have babies of my own, and I also think The Wire is wildly overrated. It's not because my baby brain thinks it's too slow, it's just before my time. Mayor Littlefinger and his Amazing Accents is the main thing I remember.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

freebooter posted:

by far

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Episode 3 may have been my favorite so far but this would be my least favorite which is interesting because they are both character heavy flashbacks. But the pacing, and character motivations felt weird here.

Least favorite still makes it pretty good TV IMO but yeah really looking forward to the next episode now.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Sentinel Red posted:

I will hold up my hands and admit I bounced off The Terror after the first ep, just wasn’t doing anything for me despite the excellent leads.

It's a miniseries, not a show, so you quit before you even got to the plot. Which is a downside of that format ; at that stage you're basically just getting an introduction to the setting, not even the characters.

Basically, it wasn't doing anything for you yet because all the first episode is trying to do is show you "holy poo poo, I would not not want to be in the Arctic, especially not in the 1840's fuuuck this would suck".

If you try again it's gonna be a bit of a wait for the real action stuff to happen, but that's because the first couple episodes are a lot of getting to know the characters while the situation they're in gets worse. And worse. And o holy gently caress is that a demonic polar bear?!?!?.

Really great show. Everyone is very well cast. The only downside is that it will make you want to grow some ridiculous facial hair (if you're able). Not telling you what to do, obviously, watch or don't. I'm not your horror-show dad telling you to do your homework.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I agree with whoever said that they revealed the zombie wake-up too early, and that caused some pace issues. We already know they're gonna get got by a zombie in the mall. But at first, there's still some tension, because we don't know how many, or what type, or when it's coming, or any details. So by revealing that stuff, and then continuing on for another 10 or 20 minutes while there's no more uncertainty what's coming, they actually made the episode less tense. IMO. Shoulda stuck to creepy sounds in the vents or whatever. Or something else, hell I'm not a screenwriter.

I did like the queer narrative here. Not that this was intentional, but it was easy to relate it to a modern experience. On the one hand, Ellie has the option to conform to a rigid society where her identity will be repressed and her personal needs dismissed, but she'd get safety and social privilege and economic stability. Or, she can be gay and find love and beauty and wonder and freedom, but with no social standing, no stability, constant danger with no safety net, and not only would she not be supported by society, she'd have to constantly look over her shoulder for violent fascists even if all she's doing is walking around outside past curfew.

Again, I'm not saying this is the "true meaning" of the episode or anything, but it was something I related to.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Can't believe you guys are still using the z-word after all those pages complainin smh

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ruddiger posted:

Can't believe you guys are still using the z-word after all those pages complainin smh

if it helps i almost called it a mummy and had to correct myself

i'm very sleepy

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

freebooter posted:

non-comedy

Barry

I think you have a very different take on Barry than I do.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Exodor posted:

I think you have a very different take on Barry than I do.

It's borderline (as is Mr In Between, ironically also about a hitman) but by the third series I would say it starts leaning more heavily to drama than comedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

freebooter posted:

It's borderline (as is Mr In Between, ironically also about a hitman) but by the third series I would say it starts leaning more heavily to drama than comedy

The season were the car dealer guy somehow gets a shotgun and shoots a wanna-be assassin?

The season with the bomb app call center?

Barry is one of the best comedies there is-

Edit: episode was fine, but I would've prefer if they advanced the story in a more literal way. We already had episode 3 for an incredible love story in the past that sorts of forms the characters

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 28, 2023