Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Baxate posted:

If I remember correctly the HD remasters don't have pressure sensitive buttons. Even though the PS3 still had pressure sensitive buttons I wanna say they took them out because of the Xbox 360 version.

The PS3 version has the pressure sensitivity still.

I keep the ol' PS triple around just for that game and MGS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Welp, I guess I'm sold on finally playing Ground Zeros, which I have in my library that I haven't touched. And then I'll likely get MGSV proper during the upcoming March sale.

Edit: this is the one with Kiefer Sutherland as Snake, right?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Welp, I guess I'm sold on finally playing Ground Zeros, which I have in my library that I haven't touched. And then I'll likely get MGSV proper during the upcoming March sale.

Edit: this is the one with Kiefer Sutherland as Snake, right?

Yes, it is, Ground Zeroes was Sutherland's first VA job as Snake.

GZ is a lovely little game if you're interested in a sandbox-y MGS base infiltration and loving around with guards.

MGSV is then that but with a really great variety of bases spread out over a big open world.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Has anyone played any civ games on SD. I need a cosy game. If so, which is more fun 5 or 6? Both are going v cheap on a grey market site.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Science_enthusiast posted:

Has anyone played any civ games on SD. I need a cosy game. If so, which is more fun 5 or 6? Both are going v cheap on a grey market site.

I'd prob go for 6 and it should work just fine.

I'm officially done using windows on the deck.

It's clunky. It's slow. Its fuckin annoying if you don't boot into it every day with all the updates and poo poo.

I have a real windows handheld if I want to play the few windows games that the deck can't run.

Windows really blows on portable machines.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’m not trying to be too hyperbolic or anything but MGSV is probably in my top… 2??? games ever in terms of actual fun gameplay. The sandbox you get to play around in to complete missions is joyous that I couldn’t believe it. It’s light years ahead of the other games in the series in terms of being accessible and immediately fun and there really hasn’t been much to match it since it released. It also still looks great, the Fox engine was one of those masterpieces of engine design that meant you could get incredible results on hardware as weak as the original PS3. I think about it all the time, the story ends up being a complete mess but I could play around in that sandbox forever. The few subsistence missions in the game are genuine gaming nirvana for me.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

GreenBuckanneer posted:

use a hair dryer
go slow
expect to have to lift up the curved areas you're trying to apply to do them over and over again
using your thumb to smooth out the areas can end up over stretching the curved areas very easily causing more ripples you can't fix and you'll probably have to use an exacto knife to make a cut in the vinyl to fix it (or deal with the ridges). this is less likely to happen the thicker the vinyl (dbrand white skins are quite thin)

What do you use the hair dryer for?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It heats the skin up to make it easier to work with.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ceramics posted:

The PS3 version has the pressure sensitivity still.

I keep the ol' PS triple around just for that game and MGS4.

I picked up a ps3 expressly to play through the metal gear solid games but I can't seem to find a original sony controller that works. Maybe I need to crack them open and replace the sticks or something.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Annath posted:

What do you use the hair dryer for?

You need to need it to heat up any edges and better adhere the glue to the plastic

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’m not trying to be too hyperbolic or anything but MGSV is probably in my top… 2??? games ever in terms of actual fun gameplay. The sandbox you get to play around in to complete missions is joyous that I couldn’t believe it. It’s light years ahead of the other games in the series in terms of being accessible and immediately fun and there really hasn’t been much to match it since it released. It also still looks great, the Fox engine was one of those masterpieces of engine design that meant you could get incredible results on hardware as weak as the original PS3. I think about it all the time, the story ends up being a complete mess but I could play around in that sandbox forever. The few subsistence missions in the game are genuine gaming nirvana for me.

I sincerely appreciate this post, thank you.

See, I absolutely adore MGS3 (Subsistence). I love the sneaking, I love the goofiness, but my favourite aspect is actually the sniper battle with The End. I realize I might not get that with any other game ever, but hey, I don't hold that against other games.

I also love the little things, like how killing a food or ammo supply depot means that the next few screens are going to involve hungry or out-of-ammo enemies.

I think I love MGS3 so much that I've been so reluctant to try 5, as if it's spoil my love for 3 somehow, OR me just assuming that it won't be better, so why bother?

Another very minor reason why I haven't tried it yet is because I only got a new gaming setup last year (and then later on, my deck). None of my older laptops (or my mac, :lol:) would have been able to handle it. And I only had a Switch for a console, so I couldn't play it that way, either.

But these reasons are either dumb or not applicable anymore and I fully expect to come back here spouting my love of 5 very soon. Well, I only have Ground Zeros for now, but still...

So, thank you all again; it's actually very nice to hear such high praise from people who (likely?) totally get why I love 3 so much. I've never played 4, and only played 1 and 2 a couple times each. Been through 3 numerous times.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

my favourite aspect is actually the sniper battle with The End. I realize I might not get that with any other game ever, but hey, I don't hold that against other games.

Have I got good news for you

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Squiggle posted:

Have I got good news for you

Ngl, I was secretly hoping someone would say exactly this. I know nothing, I was just hoping.

Also, I'm 30-ish minutes into GZ and....

:swoon:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
MGSV is a game of contrasts. On the one hand, the deepest and most satisfying stealth gameplay ever made. On the other, a story that doesn't flow well or stick the landing and a mostly barren open-world.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I thought it was an extremely well told story about a man's quest to attach weather balloons to everything in africa

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I thought it was an extremely well told story about a man's quest to attach weather balloons to everything in africa

Solid Drifloon

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gaseous Snake

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

There's a mod for the PC version that lets you turn on subsistence rules for any mission, among other things. Pretty nice.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah MGS5 is the best sneaking game I've ever played and I still get hankering to replay. The story is awesome actually because it doesn't get in the way if you just want to play the game, and is full of neat ideas and moments if you want to get into it. And the only disappointing thing is knowing there could be more but won't be. The game's fine as is.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

About the only thing I'd like to see it do better is encounters with super powered weirdos - we get a handful (and some of those missions are great) but it's not a patch on the boss battles of MGS1 or MGS3.

If someone managed to put Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis / enemy army system into MGSV's engine (with the potential for random superpowers to be awakened in random soldiers if certain events occur) I might not need another game ever again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SavageMessiah posted:

There's a mod for the PC version that lets you turn on subsistence rules for any mission, among other things. Pretty nice.

:stare:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1630638044922658816?t=0KqzYfIsxez39fWJm3ZiMw&s=19

Top 20 Steam Deck games of February, sorted by playtime. Good for Brotato.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I hadn’t even considered GTA V on a handheld

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1630638044922658816?t=0KqzYfIsxez39fWJm3ZiMw&s=19

Oh drat Witcher 3 is a great fit for steam deck never thought of that. Never got the steam version. Does it run worse with the patches they made to add “next gen” stuff

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

Really surprised to see project Zomboid on there... I do not enjoy that on the deck.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Lol I'm not playing any of those games right now, the only one I currently have installed is Skyrim, and I only own Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 additionally.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh drat Witcher 3 is a great fit for steam deck never thought of that. Never got the steam version. Does it run worse with the patches they made to add “next gen” stuff

Yes, slightly, but it’s still very playable.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Heran Bago posted:

My deck has been a Stardew Valley/Brotato machine over February, I feel like such a normie now.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

SavageMessiah posted:

Is there a mod that strips out all the online elements? I remember using cheat engine the first time around to get around some aspects of it, but it stopped working after a few patches.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Really surprised to see project Zomboid on there... I do not enjoy that on the deck.

Yeah, I kept seeing it listed as "verified" and it runs, sure, but :psyduck:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
steam deck 2: just the steam deck but "verified for deck 2" means actually plays well

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Is there a mod that strips out all the online elements? I remember using cheat engine the first time around to get around some aspects of it, but it stopped working after a few patches.

I don't know about stripping the online elements out, but there's one Cheat Engine table online still mostly works. You can have infinite GMP, add resources (except for common minerals I think), have infinite ammo and supressor, no recoil, etc. Setting combat deployments to be instant is actually a mod on the Nexus, though.

Despite loving MGS5 I didn't care even a little bit about the online parts though I can see after playing Death Stranding what were they trying to do. I wish I could disable them entirely, too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah, I kept seeing it listed as "verified" and it runs, sure, but :psyduck:

Speaking of games with lots of controls, I gave Bomber Crew a try because by all rights it should be a perfect Deck game. Unfortunately, the game pad controls can only be described as monstrous in a way that you can’t compensate for with a custom profile.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

The good news is the number of "unsupported" games that actually work brilliantly far outweighs the number of verified ones that don't!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dove into cyberpunk last night. Mostly it runs great after I dialed down the deck preset a bit, but when the action gets heavy, the audio really starts crackling. Anyone know of a fix for that?

Also it was really cool to be able to turn on the gyro controls and just have them magically work. Also also, valves solution. If only having gyro active when you are resting your thumbs on the thumb sticks is pure genius. No “reset view” button needed

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

only having gyro active when you are resting your thumbs on the thumb sticks is pure genius. No “reset view” button needed

It's an absolute game-changer and I hate that every other console doesn't have the feature built in at the system settings. it makes the PS5 controller and especially the Series X, which has no gyro at all, feel ancient.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I got about 80 hours of GOAT-tier gameplay out of MGSV. I thought the game part of it was incredible.

My experience with it as a total package is soured by 30-60 minutes of story bits and pieces at the very end of the game, plus that Quiet cutscene somewhere in the middle - which I consider one of the worst things this medium has ever produced and should lead to every copy of MGSV auto deleting itself out of embarrassment.

But to play it? I think it's by far the most fun and engaging open world sandbox that's ever been made. It's fun as hell to just toy around in that space.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

https://www.nexusmods.com/metalgearsolidvtpp/mods/45

quote:

A mod for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain intended to extend gameplay through customizable settings and features, as well as providing addon systems to support other mods.

Addon systems include allowing custom sidops, missions, enemy soldier types.

Has several hundred toggleable options ranging from Subsistence mode for all missions, replay side-ops, Mother base invasions with multiple attack helicopters, Skull attacks in Free roam, Free-cam, skip heli rides, customization of enemy and mother base gear, foot, heavy vehicle and heli patrols in free roam, and much more.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I haven’t hooked my deck up to a tv yet, any thing special I should do/know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bumhead posted:

, plus that Quiet cutscene somewhere in the middle - which I consider one of the worst things this medium has ever produced and should lead to every copy of MGSV auto deleting itself out of embarrassment.

Ok, so I remember some sort of controversy about Quiet back when this game came out but I avoided reading anything about the game at all. I do that for games that I can't, at the time, play whatsoever. It helps avoid fomo, since I'll just want to play it more.

So I gotta ask, what are you referring to? I don't care about spoilers.