Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RatHat posted:

There’s at least one type of melee weapon that wasn’t in the demo for some reason: Dual sabres. These are distinct from Dual swords

i think there's a few that are drops only, for whatever reason, like the podao

there's also a unique armor set that the boar boss drops that i don't think you can get anywhere else in the demo, although i've only seen the (admittedly pretty cool-looking) chest so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ulio posted:

Btw did they ever say what wolong means, it sounds like a delicious chinese noodle variation to me. Ya I'd like to order some wolong with szechuan sauce.

:raise:

Let's not have any more jokes like this one.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Found a paragliding glitch in one of the martial arts:

https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1630773430470553601?s=20

Vermain posted:

it's a maximum of 4, which feels like a deliberate attempt to make the choice of which spells to take more impactful; even a second bar of 4 would allow you to cover most of the spells in a single tree

a game like ER gave you enough spell slots that you could cover almost all of your bases, but that consequently made each spell feel less like a part of your build and more like another tool in the toolkit. i think the emphasis here is on choosing the spells which best support your playstyle or the situation you find yourself in over becoming a swiss army knife, which helps to create more definition to each individual character

Fair enough, especially if a lot of the spells are just 'this earlier spell but better' so you can set things up how you like and then upgrade to similar things as you go. Was just a bit weird to me they wouldn't even let you have one spell per element tree equipped at once.

isk posted:

I'm happy with a smaller available pool of spells. Prebuffing in Nioh 2 gets silly at the high end. Reapplying all those buffs mid-fight gets even worse.

I'm not sure what you mean :confused:

https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1375289087876243468?s=20

CharlestonJew posted:

The first boss was very hard for me because his stretchy arms really messed up my sense of timing

:same: I think the spikes made it look bigger than it was and I kept deflecting too early.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I really wish there was a way to turn of the tutorial text. Yes, game, I know how to deflect and spirit attack, this is the third boss, you do not need to remind me anymore.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

When is this coming out. It's been 3rd of March for 13 hours here already.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

A Sometimes Food posted:

When is this coming out. It's been 3rd of March for 13 hours here already.

It isn't 3rd of March anywhere in the world for 5.5 more hours

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

he's from the future

these aren't always accurate but until I can get back in touch with my uncle at nintendo I don't think anyone's got anything better

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

looks like it's timezone-related, since a day and 2~ hours is smack dab midnight on the 3rd for me, and i'm in one of those timezones that's never used to benchmark releases

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
On Xbox and PC you can set your time zone to New Zealand and play at 7am ET but PlayStation has to wait

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'll just go Nioh route and level up everything until I have some idea of what anything even is.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

God damnit. I've gone the whole last two days thinking it was a day ahead.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A Sometimes Food posted:

God damnit. I've gone the whole last two days thinking it was a day ahead.

my one solace is that i'll have plenty of time to try no hitting the first boss tomorrow

i think i've mostly got his first phase patterns down, but there's a couple of spots where it's real easy to slip up (e.g. him doing a crit attack charge at long range, trying to deflect one of his attacks that goes a mile wide and then getting hit by the followup, a pillar blocking my view of him, etc.). i think second phase will mostly come down to figuring out which attacks i need to just sprint away from, like his 4 hit combo or that really nasty crit attack charge he does

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I haven't succeeded in no hitting the second phase but the first one is not super hard, after deflecting the first attack just constantly put the pressure on him so he doesn't have any real chance of attacking. Remember that you keep building spirit even in blocked attacks and that double jumping off of enemies(including the first boss) can flinch them out of most non-critical attacks, so that or a cheap spell can cancel attacks you aren't in the right position to deflect. The only problem is that sometimes he just chains 2-3 critical attacks after each other, for no reason.

Finally got the gamepass demo to work so I played it through again, because when you can get a good back and forth fight going it feels great.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hel posted:

I haven't succeeded in no hitting the second phase but the first one is not super hard, after deflecting the first attack just constantly put the pressure on him so he doesn't have any real chance of attacking.

yeah, my general strategy is to pressure as long as he's blocking, then pause after an attack chain, wait for a deflect, then either do another combo until my spirit gauge is full or spirit attack and repeat. seems to work pretty well for avoiding getting clobbered by random crit attacks outta nowhere

think i might try ongbal's method where he deliberately stays at middle distance to bait out the charges and easier-to-read leap attacks, might be a bit slower but definitely more consistent

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I hope this game will have a feature that incorporates gestures like mujina and nurikabe did.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

02:00 CST is literally right when i go to bed, god damnit lol

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Too long, Wo Long!

Gamepass says the release is 11pm on the 2nd here in central time, it that matters.

Astrochicken fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 2, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Hel posted:

double jumping off of enemies(including the first boss) can flinch them out of most non-critical attacks,

YOU CAN GOOMBA STOMP PEOPLE??

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Lmao they're doing the Australian launch on west coast time. That's loving bizarre. They usually do midnight AEST not midnight AWST. Which usually means I get it at 9pm.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I wonder if it's a Japanese dev thing? I remember Dark Souls 2 DLC released at like 3 AM for me.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Roughly 10 minutes until the embargo ends. If I had to predict, I'd say it's gonna have about an 80/100 average, probably with some notably much harsher scores. After the embargo ends, I can answer questions if people have any, with some limitations.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Roughly 10 minutes until the embargo ends. If I had to predict, I'd say it's gonna have about an 80/100 average, probably with some notably much harsher scores. After the embargo ends, I can answer questions if people have any, with some limitations.

Did you enjoy it?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

iGestalt posted:

Did you enjoy it?

For the most part. The basic gameplay is tremendously fun when it all works, and deflecting poo poo is great. But there are times when it feels like it's either bugged or weirdly a lot more stringent than 90% of the time, leading to what feels like cheap hits. Also the companion AI is next to useless a lot of the time, and it's kinda frustrating to get dunked on by five enemies while Liu Bei stands in the background looking on. Weirdly it feels like the day one patch that hit yesterday made the companion AI a lot worse, so either Team Ninja felt companions were too effective or accidentally broke something.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

dunked on by five enemies while Liu Bei stands in the background looking on.

Sounds like it's working as intended. Now, if you had a small infant he could throw at them? Maybe he'd help you out.

Thanks for the info, though. I'm not surprised the companion AI is terrible, but the rest sounds cool.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah about par for the course as far as professional reviews go. None of them seem to talk much about what the endgame is like, so unfortunately not much info to find here.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Zhao Yun does the Akira drift on a horse

10/10

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
ACG put up their review (if you don't mind his shtick), he likes it but is fairly critical too: https://youtu.be/jfBGyS5-SU4

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Given the period covered by the game, does Yuan Shao appear in the game at some point?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Azran posted:

Given the period covered by the game, does Yuan Shao appear in the game at some point?

He's in the trophy list

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I've seen many people review the game and play with the companions... That just looks weird to me, since the companions make the game easier and clunkier.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 2, 2023

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Hel posted:

The only problem is that sometimes he just chains 2-3 critical attacks after each other, for no reason.

For the first phase, if you deflect a charge you'll actually push him farther away if he's going to follow up with a second charge, and won't ever do more than 2 in a row.

The close up bash has two timings and he likes to pull it out if you're too aggressive with physical attacks, so I'd stick to two sword slashes or one of the spirit attacks so you have time to deflect it if he whips it out. Because there are two timings, I got into the habit of double tapping deflect if I missed the first timing, because in that instance I'd end up dodging back and still avoiding it even if I didn't deflect.

The second phase the attack where he slides the mace from the ground two or three times will sometimes be followed up by the long range grab, but otherwise I didn't notice him doing the same thing as much.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Most mainstream game critics are morons. Companions aren't an accessibility feature. They're an optional slight difficulty modifier. This poo poo annoys me because it makes the accessibility conversation less clear and gives the wrong impression of the actual definition of accessibility. Sorry for the rant but watching dumb gently caress reviewers repeat this bad interpretation is really obnoxious.

e: And if the demo is anything to go on, they’re not even that effective. Someone upthread made the point that if bosses aren’t focused on you, you lose the opportunity to practice deflects when learning a boss and I totally agree.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 2, 2023

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Ulio posted:

I've seen many people review the game and play with the companions... That just looks weird to me, since the companions make the game easier and clunkier.

Yeah but on the other hand how could I say no to fighting alongside Cao Cao or w/e

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I want my party to be nothing but the cool buff boys. Zhang Fei and Guan Yu, 24/7, let's go.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I will admit I did cheese the first Tiger demon you find by letting it wail on the small blind boy until it threw itself into the fire while I watched from the nearby rooftop

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Im a sucker for team ninja games and deflect mechanics but the only chinese history or culture i know comes from big trouble in little china. Which, considering the wizardry in the game, tracks in a very dumb way for me. It has fire, lightning, all that kind of thing.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

BurningBeard posted:

Most mainstream game critics are morons. Companions aren't an accessibility feature. They're an optional slight difficulty modifier. This poo poo annoys me because it makes the accessibility conversation less clear and gives the wrong impression of the actual definition of accessibility. Sorry for the rant but watching dumb gently caress reviewers repeat this bad interpretation is really obnoxious.

e: And if the demo is anything to go on, they’re not even that effective. Someone upthread made the point that if bosses aren’t focused on you, you lose the opportunity to practice deflects when learning a boss and I totally agree.

Ya agreed, Fightingcowboy's review was quite positive, he did say regular enemies repeat a lot but he still liked it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I ended up using the party members in Stranger of Paradise for side quests or re-running missions and even then sometimes I'd turn them off on a boss just because they're a lot more random about who they're attacking and why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Phantasium posted:

I ended up using the party members in Stranger of Paradise for side quests or re-running missions and even then sometimes I'd turn them off on a boss just because they're a lot more random about who they're attacking and why.

Pretty much this exactly. Nothing wrong with the companions themselves they’re fine if you want them. It’s just reviewers’ characterization of it as accessibility that’s dumb as poo poo.

Larger font size—thankfully available in the options—is an accessibility option. lol.