Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Psycho Landlord posted:

Depends on what you want. If you want literally just vanilla+ and give zero shits about mixing of IS and clan tech or adherence to the fluff, get expanded arsenal.
I'm glad you mentioned this one because I've been meaning to do a modded run for a while now and this seems like exactly what I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is the reason I don't like Roguetech, this description of it.

It's nothing like tabletop. Rotary AC/20 indeed.

All the mods have dumb fanon things, even BEX.

I am absolutely not a roguetech fan but it is definitely the modpack whose gameplay is most like sitting across the table from an irl grog.

Insert name here posted:

I'm glad you mentioned this one because I've been meaning to do a modded run for a while now and this seems like exactly what I want.

It's neat, most of the stuff in there is just Vanilla but More. Just be warned it turns into even more rocket tag at the high end, even with the damage reduction parts the mod added, because its trivial for dire wolves and the like to break 1k damage alphas with all the ++ Clan gear. That's very, very lategame though, and you have to fight stuff packing that before you can get it yourself.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 3, 2023

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Lets just go play megamek multiplayer

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

That is my reaction when people suggest Roguetech, yes

Wow weak machine much :smug:

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Thanks chaps, don't really care about fluff so sounds like Btech Expanded arsenal is the sauce for me!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Psycho Landlord posted:

It's neat, most of the stuff in there is just Vanilla but More. Just be warned it turns into even more rocket tag at the high end, even with the damage reduction parts the mod added, because its trivial for dire wolves and the like to break 1k damage alphas with all the ++ Clan gear. That's very, very lategame though, and you have to fight stuff packing that before you can get it yourself.
Saying this like somehow it won't make me want to play it even more lol

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Mugsbaloney posted:

Thanks chaps, don't really care about fluff so sounds like Btech Expanded arsenal is the sauce for me!

Enjoy your Heavy Gauss Rifle++ that does 180 damage and only takes up four critical slots

Mind you you'll have to pry it off something that shot you with it first

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Psycho Landlord posted:

Enjoy your Heavy Gauss Rifle++ that does 180 damage and only takes up four critical slots

is there another point to this game?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Not at all, it owns

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Psycho Landlord posted:

How much can you fit on a single mech this is important

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lol

Also I didn't know I could change the UI color

Also also jesus MW5 stop putting four bases next to each other it triggers every loving enemy everywhere, my poor backs and lostech

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Insert name here posted:

How much can you fit on a single mech this is important

they're like 16 tons iirc so you could def build a supergausszilla with an annihilator. Bullsharks are also great candidates.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Wish it was easier to disable/uninstall a mod and not have it screw up your savegames. Or maybe a way to specify what mods to load with what savegames?

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Psycho Landlord posted:

The only staple people seem to love that doesn't really work is the TTrulez AI bullshit but that mod never worked as well as people claimed in the first place and should be ignored imo

The base AI tweaks are great, but the whole formations addon that he made for it, yeah doesn't really fit the game all that well, so I usually just played it for the AI improvements and the role behaviors and ignored the lancemate addon entirely.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Warad posted:

The base AI tweaks are great, but the whole formations addon that he made for it, yeah doesn't really fit the game all that well, so I usually just played it for the AI improvements and the role behaviors and ignored the lancemate addon entirely.

Even the basic AI tweaks broke more poo poo than they fixed and half the things he claimed he did were actually PGI patches. The part of the mod you liked was mostly placebo.

Amusingly enough YAML ended up solving one of the biggest AI issues on its own and their solution was just "make autocannons have a higher base firing rate if the AI is controlling the mech." That's it, that's the fix. Everyone loves it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bentai posted:

Wish it was easier to disable/uninstall a mod and not have it screw up your savegames. Or maybe a way to specify what mods to load with what savegames?

You can't specify which mods to use with a save -- you have to full quit and restart the game every time you change which mods are active. The built-in mod system does that because the mod support was added after the fact and they didn't build in safety anywhere else.

One option is there's a save editor on nexus, which can remove mods from the required list in a save. Another is to switch to ModTek, which doesn't block saves from loading.

However in either case if you have things in your game that are now null references, the game will barf on them and break. Generally won't crash, but you'll either watch the spinny loading forever until you alt-f4, or the UI will be broken in the argo management screens, you won't be able to load the mechbay, and nothing will work besides exit.

So if you had a mod that just changes around existing things it'll be fine. So like, a mod that changes PPCs to 30 heat is fine when you turn it off. If you have a mod that added weapons or mechs you need to make sure that you've sold or scrapped everything new, there are none in the store, etc.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 4, 2023

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Restarted MW5 and having much more successful but the first 6 or 7 planets that I've gone to don't have any pilots to hire. I've got 5 mechs now but it's just me and the first LT. Is there something missing on the map that shows where pilots are available?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

tactlessbastard posted:

Restarted MW5 and having much more successful but the first 6 or 7 planets that I've gone to don't have any pilots to hire. I've got 5 mechs now but it's just me and the first LT. Is there something missing on the map that shows where pilots are available?

You do it in those dotted line areas where you repair your mechs for cheap and buy poo poo too. Usually it'll say when they have em

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
From what I understand, every new mech in BTA is fully modeled while Roguetech is a mess of stand-ins. What about BEX, is that full of proxies too?

E: Oh yeah and how's the Hyades Rim mod as a new campaign, balance wise?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Psycho Landlord posted:

If you want something a bit closer to TT but is also just a guy doing his own thing with balance a bit but still a ton of high quality content, get BTA3062. Note that this one has a non-canon faction show up in a big way if you're the kinda nerd that this bothers.

To be clear about the non-canon factions in BTA, they show up in a far corner of the map in a place where you have to specifically travel to to ever encounter those factions or their tech, they never leave that corner, and if them even being there bothers you you can unsubscribe from mercnews events in-game and the event that causes it to appear never happens. It's included in the most unobtrusive way possible to allow people who don't want to see it.

BTA is generally fantastic about letting you opt out of non-canon weird stuff. There's also a bunch of non-canon community content that adds new mech variants or weird/wacky/overpowered weapons and such that you can also just turn off.

Mordja posted:

From what I understand, every new mech in BTA is fully modeled while Roguetech is a mess of stand-ins. What about BEX, is that full of proxies too?

"Fully modeled" in BTA is broadly but not 100% true. They're not above using proxies for things that are deliberately intended to look similar in-universe, like using the Timber Wolf model for the Rakshasa(which is the Inner Sphere's knockoff "we have a mad cat at home" reproduction of the Timber Wolf). Bloodydoves will generally refuse to add anything that doesn't have a bespoke model or something that looks extremely close, though.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Kanos posted:

"Fully modeled" in BTA is broadly but not 100% true. They're not above using proxies for things that are deliberately intended to look similar in-universe, like using the Timber Wolf model for the Rakshasa(which is the Inner Sphere's knockoff "we have a mad cat at home" reproduction of the Timber Wolf). Bloodydoves will generally refuse to add anything that doesn't have a bespoke model or something that looks extremely close, though.

BEX is the same way, when it comes to models but pretty much every mod relies on the Community Asset Bundle (CAB) for the models with some few exceptions, so if that doesn't have it, usually none of them will.

Mordja posted:

I mentioned it before but Hyades Rim can have some really gimmicky missions (like a whole 1v8 slog) and it really, really likes giving you consecutive mission and/or tonnage limits when all you have is the Leopard and so, only 6 mechs at a time which can be a real pain if you're used to always having the Argo, (though you do get it eventually near the end) and there's a fair bit of faction bloat so it's really hard to get high rep to farm high skull missions but if that doesn't bother you, the missions are fairly alright and usually match the quality of HBS' missions though the writing can be a bit offputting but English isn't the Dev's first language from what I've heard, there's a ton of new mech variants (with an option to add in certain CAB models as well) new weapon and mech upgrades, contract types, events, etc. Like I said, it's worth checking out at least.

E: that said there can be some ridiculous variants you can run into and abuse once you get them, so the difficulty can vary if you're used to min-maxing builds in vanilla and other mods.

Warad fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 4, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

tactlessbastard posted:

The constellation looking connected systems on the star map are Industrial Hubs. Everything is cheaper there, so whenever you get SORELY hosed up it's usually best to repair in an industrial hub, and also it's where you find the vast majority of pilots for hire.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Mordja posted:

I think as of the last release BEX doesn't have any proxy mech models anymore. The CAB models are of kinda varying quality but you can usually cover up issues with paint.

BEX does have some proxied vehicles but I doubt you would notice.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
For BEX and BTA I can look at everything and go "Yeah ok that's a clint, that's a starslayer, etc" even if the model is a bit rough sometimes, which is all I really want. The short period I tried roguetech I learned very quickly I had to interrogate every enemy unit in detail to make sure it wasn't something else and even then actually figuring out what they could do was a crap shoot because everything is so different from base battletech.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Klyith posted:

However in either case if you have things in your game that are now null references, the game will barf on them and break. Generally won't crash, but you'll either watch the spinny loading forever until you alt-f4, or the UI will be broken in the argo management screens, you won't be able to load the mechbay, and nothing will work besides exit.

So if you had a mod that just changes around existing things it'll be fine. So like, a mod that changes PPCs to 30 heat is fine when you turn it off. If you have a mod that added weapons or mechs you need to make sure that you've sold or scrapped everything new, there are none in the store, etc.
That might work fine then, I was considering throwing in one of those mods that make pilots eject if they get frazzled, but that should not affect savegames if I decide it's junk.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

so in BTA, if i'm really not into using battle armor or vees, am I seriously hamstringing the amount of firepower the game is expecting me to have or what

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bentai posted:

That might work fine then, I was considering throwing in one of those mods that make pilots eject if they get frazzled, but that should not affect savegames if I decide it's junk.

I also use Basic Panic System. If you want to try keeping it with toned-down settings, this is what I use:

code:
    "Settings": {
        "PlayerCharacterAlwaysResists": true,
        "PlayerTeamCanPanic": false,
        "EnemiesCanPanic": false,

"PlayerLightsConsiderEjectingEarly": false,
        "EnemyLightsConsiderEjectingEarly": true,
        "LightMechEarlyPanicThreshold": 0,

"PlayerMediumsConsiderEjectingEarly": false,
        "EnemyMediumsConsiderEjectingEarly": true,
        "MediumMechEarlyPanicThreshold": 0,

"PlayerHeaviesConsiderEjectingEarly": false,
        "EnemyHeaviesConsiderEjectingEarly": true,
        "HeavyMechEarlyPanicThreshold": 0,

"PlayerAssaultsConsiderEjectingEarly": false,
        "EnemyAssaultsConsiderEjectingEarly": true,
        "AssaultMechEarlyPanicThreshold": 0,

"MinimumArmourDamagePercentageRequired": 20,
        "AtLeastOneChanceToPanic": true,
        "AlwaysGatedChanges": true,
        "MaxPanicResistTotal": 15,
        "LosingLimbAlwaysPanics": false,
        "FatiguedAimModifier": 0,
        "StressedAimModifier": 0,
        "StressedToHitModifier": 0,
        "PanickedAimModifier": 0,
        "PanickedToHitModifier": 0,

"MaxEjectChanceWhenEarly": 30,
        "MaxEjectChance": 50,
        "MinimumHealthToAlwaysEjectRoll": 1,
        "GutsTenAlwaysResists": false,
        "ComboTenAlwaysResists": false,
        "TacticsTenAlwaysResists": false,
        "KnockedDownCannotEject": true,
        "ConsiderEjectingWithNoWeaps": true,

"BaseEjectionResist": 25,
        "GutsEjectionResistPerPoint": 1.5,
        "TacticsEjectionResistPerPoint": 0.5,

"UnsteadyModifier": 5,
        "PilotHealthMaxModifier": 10,
        "HeadDamageMaxModifier": 10,
        "CTDamageMaxModifier": 8,
        "SideTorsoInternalDamageMaxModifier": 5,
        "LeggedMaxModifier": 8,

"NextShotLikeThatCouldKill": 7,
        "WeaponlessModifier": 8,
        "AloneModifier": 15
    }
The settings it comes with are a bit over-impactful. This here removes the effects of panic, so just makes pilots occasionally eject in hopeless situations. Enemies more often than your own guys. (Enemies will eject without being panicked, and the weaponless & alone modifiers are doing a lot of work in that situation. Your own guys will only consider ejecting if max panic.)

It basically tunes it down to flavor.

OTOH I also play with 5 pieces required for assembly, and with a different mod that gives salvage based on how damaged the mech is. So I don't get a full mech every time someone ejects.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 24, 2023

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

so in BTA, if i'm really not into using battle armor or vees, am I seriously hamstringing the amount of firepower the game is expecting me to have or what

You can absolutely get away with just using mechs. Vehicles are a way to bring certain hard to mount weapon systems to the fight mostly, using a manticore instead of an actual mech is never worth it.

BA can be incredibly strong, especially mounted in a helicopter or VTOL, but it was never necessary for anything I saw playing that mod.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

For vehicles yes, for BA no. The various tanks and artillery piece you can bring can add some serious firepower and utility to your line up, or you can use them as extra scouts with target lock/TAG/NARC. There's no reason not to bring vehicles.

BA is more tricky since using them effectively requires you to bring a dedicated transport of some description, and even the armed APCs aren't that heavily armed or armored. Getting into a position where you can get rear shots on something with your BA + APC can be devastating and swarming enemy mechs can be very effective, but you're risking a lot to do it most of the time.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
BA jousting is a very weird development to the lower-tonnage Mech strategy. Load up 4 Elemental Stars (or Golems if you've gotten them) on your light lance, sprint them within 3 hexes of the OPFOR's big guns, troopers sproing onto the enemy and one-shot core him.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Ba are amazing as soon as you realize it is always some gimmick, usually reserving.

A ba reserves down, then activates on 1 init, does something absurd, then acts again on init 10 to escape.

You can run in with the Omni of your choice (owens with tag/narc/beagle/rl40 is a favorite) and shoot some poor rear end in a top hat in the back. Then the ba riding you jumps on his friend and cores them out too. Next round, ba hops on the scooter, and the party scoots away. Toodaloo!

Maybe you don’t decide to shoot. Maybe you just jump off for bonus sensor lock fun. Maybe instead of shooting, you call in that random airdrop contract. Because they are init 10 and can ride their friends, ba are the natural inheritors of the firestarter plan from vanilla and bta has a lot of disgusting things to do with them.

They are also dirt cheap with full armor and available all over, so you can very easily just stuff rookies in them and tell them to hide over there to get xp. Vehicles other than vtol, the 2ba helicopter, and ballista seem sort of dubious to me. Getting caught on terrain is rough even with the ez unstuck. Luckily, vtol and the 2ba heli are both absurd murder multipliers, and artillery lances can never have enough artillery.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've never been able to dismount a ba and convince them to get onto an enemy mech in the same turn

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Anias posted:

Ba are amazing as soon as you realize it is always some gimmick, usually reserving.

A ba reserves down, then activates on 1 init, does something absurd, then acts again on init 10 to escape.

You can run in with the Omni of your choice (owens with tag/narc/beagle/rl40 is a favorite) and shoot some poor rear end in a top hat in the back. Then the ba riding you jumps on his friend and cores them out too. Next round, ba hops on the scooter, and the party scoots away. Toodaloo!

Maybe you don’t decide to shoot. Maybe you just jump off for bonus sensor lock fun. Maybe instead of shooting, you call in that random airdrop contract. Because they are init 10 and can ride their friends, ba are the natural inheritors of the firestarter plan from vanilla and bta has a lot of disgusting things to do with them.

They are also dirt cheap with full armor and available all over, so you can very easily just stuff rookies in them and tell them to hide over there to get xp. Vehicles other than vtol, the 2ba helicopter, and ballista seem sort of dubious to me. Getting caught on terrain is rough even with the ez unstuck. Luckily, vtol and the 2ba heli are both absurd murder multipliers, and artillery lances can never have enough artillery.

Yeah the mechanics of BA are another thing i didn't quite get a handle on

though i think I do have an omni now and it's a super fast scout, hmmmmm

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Captain Foo posted:

Yes. You can get by with only mechs, but several deployment slots are BA and vehicle only, which means that you're not using all of your available power if you ignore them.

The easy "I don't want to think too hard about it" answer for vehicles is artillery and fire support. Use your vehicle spots on stuff like Chaparrals, Ballistas, LRM Carriers, and Mortar Carriers, keep them away from combat and out of LOS, and just use them as a barrage auxiliary to your mech forces.

For BA, it's more complex. The most set-and-forget usage of BA is to just buy cheap Achilles suits and use them as free sensor locks and cannon fodder; both swarming BA and shooty BA are incredibly powerful but a little finnicky to get used to using. "BA Transport" isn't really an issue though, you can slap BA handholds on any mech for 0.5 tons and a crit slot so you don't really need to fiddle with dedicated APCs or need omnimechs.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kanos posted:

Yes. You can get by with only mechs, but several deployment slots are BA and vehicle only, which means that you're not using all of your available power if you ignore them.

The easy "I don't want to think too hard about it" answer for vehicles is artillery and fire support. Use your vehicle spots on stuff like Chaparrals, Ballistas, LRM Carriers, and Mortar Carriers, keep them away from combat and out of LOS, and just use them as a barrage auxiliary to your mech forces.

For BA, it's more complex. The most set-and-forget usage of BA is to just buy cheap Achilles suits and use them as free sensor locks and cannon fodder; both swarming BA and shooty BA are incredibly powerful but a little finnicky to get used to using. "BA Transport" isn't really an issue though, you can slap BA handholds on any mech for 0.5 tons and a crit slot so you don't really need to fiddle with dedicated APCs or need omnimechs.

Thanks for the tips!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I slapped handles on my main scout mech so it just zipped around with 10+ evasion and could drop gauss troopers behind enemies which were quite strong. Even when the guns didn't accomplish much the ai loses its mind when ba is near

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wait is it safe to shoot a swarmed mech or not

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

wait is it safe to shoot a swarmed mech or not

i think it might be a campain toggle, but you can definitely off your own ba that way

anyway when you compare the amount of damage you get from the better ba to like, a small laser, it's kind of nuts but they also require more time, investment, etc.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Finally had a complete mission failure in BTA. Jungle map where Sumire landed everyone on a tiny peninsula on the corner, connected to the main land only via a small strip of cover-less shallow water, with most of the enemy force on the other side. It was a 2 star assassination contract, I was fielding mediums and 2 flamer equipped lights (hadn't had much luck with heavy salvage so far), and there were a lot of enemy reinforcements so it ended up being 6 vs 13 in the end (including a full heavy mech lance).

And they had a mech with sniper artillery. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lol

fixed spawns