Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
when's the mom era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The helpful lawyer lady who dresses up as a hostess to get Yagami some info in the two Judgement games lives

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Haruka doesn't die but she does get kidnapped like five times which I think is close to murder on the crime exchange rate

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

cheetah7071 posted:

when's the mom era

Have you ever played Final Fantasy 13?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also like im trying to remember major female characters in Yakuza games who don't end up being murdered at some point and am coming up with "the lady in Yakuza 2 who got unceremoniously written out of the story after the main writer changed"

i mean it's Yakuza but still just a weird series to get big thwt way

Makoto and Yuki from the Cabernet club games if those count. Otherwise Hana is also in the Sayama situation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also like im trying to remember major female characters in Yakuza games who don't end up being murdered at some point and am coming up with "the lady in Yakuza 2 who got unceremoniously written out of the story after the main writer changed"

i mean it's Yakuza but still just a weird series to get big thwt way
yakuza 7 is a bit better about this but the female party members in that game are still clearly not really the focus for the most part

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/spookygoo/status/1632286651006218240?t=Yhz0MqyCHZA-RL9JDg9cXA&s=19

I think this is the worst yet.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

rps made a 'top 10 visual novels of all time' article and only 2 of them were japanese

jesus christ

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

...yeah I think that edged out the PS3 one somehow.

If there's worse than this I really don't want to know anymore.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
what article was that? the one i see has 5 japanese visual novels, and one from the philippines, so the majority does irk out western stuff.

it puts umineko in the honorable mentions and has dangan ronpa in the actual top 10 so it is still a very bad list tho lmao

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Plus, DirectX was created under the codename of Project Manhattan, named as such to directly reference the bombs because it was created with the goal to destroy the Japanese gaming market. Eric Engstrom even admits as such here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjZWUweIIEU&t=1820s

So yeah. Definitely always was anti-Japanese sentiment and bitterness in the gaming industry.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Plus, DirectX was created under the codename of Project Manhattan, named as such to directly reference the bombs because it was created with the goal to destroy the Japanese gaming market. Eric Engstrom even admits as such here.

So yeah. Definitely always was anti-Japanese sentiment and bitterness in the gaming industry.

what the christtttttt

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

And the X in DirectX became the basis of the name Xbox.

One of the many, many proposed internal project names for the Xbox was "Midway" and that was one of the few that wasn't a weird acronym. The official line is that it's because it was supposed to be a bridging point between PC and console gaming. The fact that it would have shared its name with the Battle of Midway was of course just a coincidence. Much like how the original DirectX logo was a radiation icon. Just a coincidence, guys.

Definitely not a bunch of dudes being racist about Japan, no sirree bob

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Runa posted:

One of the many, many proposed internal project names for the Xbox was "Midway" and that was one of the few that wasn't a weird acronym. The official line is that it's because it was supposed to be a bridging point between PC and console gaming. The fact that it would have shared its name with the Battle of Midway was of course just a coincidence. Much like how the original DirectX logo was a radiation icon. Just a coincidence, guys.

I'm amazed that according to this, even Microsoft thought Eric and Alex St John were being racist as poo poo and asked them to tone it down.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/46338/alex-st-john-interview

It was originally an even more overt radiation symbol.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I’m suddenly having all these memories of awful X-Play segments making GBS threads on JRPGs/Japan flooding back to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J41ba7qv9rQ

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
When I was young, G4 was like the only tech focused tv channel I had and x-play was my fave show because as a kid, videogames was pretty accessible compared to computers or other gizmos.

Anyway, it's really funny to find out all the hosts are like crazy people now

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i like that the dub for the battle network anime also just cut out like, lots of random visual gags for no reason. like they cut out a bit where ms. mari makes two baked fish snacks kiss. and a bit where they pan over to yai sitting at a bar with a huge pile of empty wine glasses next to her and the bartender goes "you know, drinking this much is gonna be bad for your stomach." and then fills her glass with pink lemonade

lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm amazed that according to this, even Microsoft thought Eric and Alex St John were being racist as poo poo and asked them to tone it down.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/46338/alex-st-john-interview

It was originally an even more overt radiation symbol.

for some reason this makes it a lot funnier that the absolute granddad of American video game companies had a Japanese word as a name, and a logo that got confused for Mt Fuji (apparently because Nolan Bushnell was a Go nerd)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
xplay was also super transphobic
https://mobile.twitter.com/yipsigoon/status/1632096393262166018
https://mobile.twitter.com/yipsigoon/status/1632235229011226624
https://mobile.twitter.com/yipsigoon/status/1632318587560947713

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Snooze Cruise posted:

what article was that? the one i see has 5 japanese visual novels, and one from the philippines, so the majority does irk out western stuff.

it puts umineko in the honorable mentions and has dangan ronpa in the actual top 10 so it is still a very bad list tho lmao

they might have changed it, they edit "best x games" articles and republish them sometimes, which is why the "best metroidvanias on PC" list has 400 comments yelling that John Walker left out Hollow Knight and John Walker yelling that the Hollow Knight community is toxic in the comments, despite it currently being in the list

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Snooze Cruise posted:

to be frank i always found the steam thread kinda off putting cause of certain posters. its easier to just skim headlines and click relevant articles.
use the fresh release thread, it's pretty no nonsense

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Going through my 3DS backlog and trying to figure out how to spend the last few dollars in my eShop account, is any of the DLC for the 3DS Radiant Historia worth picking up? Worth noting that I have not actually played the game yet :v:

Also I ain't touching any of this '00s XPlay stuff because it's gross as hell, but since a Baten Kaitos Origins review was the first thing I saw on this topic I feel obliged to say that the BK games kick rear end and it's probably worth picking up the remaster bundle on Switch if you haven't played them before, and also like deck battlers with really wild art direction. Too bad they couldn't get the rights to the English VO (or were too cowardly to remind people of the VO from the first game)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I would say it’s weird they didn’t redub it then, but it’s Namco-Bandai, I feel like if they felt it wouldn’t affect sales they just wouldn’t dub anything going by stuff by the Vesperia remaster and like half the subtitles don’t match the dub script in Arise.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Going through my 3DS backlog and trying to figure out how to spend the last few dollars in my eShop account, is any of the DLC for the 3DS Radiant Historia worth picking up? Worth noting that I have not actually played the game yet :v:

maybe the original art pack, since the new portraits don't have nearly as much personality to them, but the scenario dlc's are all 15-20 minutes each and better off being skimmed on youtube

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not adding this one to the racism pile i'm just eternally confused about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlJrEwEMIpM

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Runa posted:

I wonder how much of this is common knowledge in Japan. Not that Xbox sales could get much worse there.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
xbox has been selling okay now actually. series s/x have found a niche now that playstation's all but abandoned the jp market, it's basically the same situation as it is here where there's not much reason to buy a ps5 unless you want big ps5 exclusive rpgs. even pc gaming's been gaining ground there so there's not much reason to buy a ps5 for those either as long as the ones you want are getting pc releases

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I was totally unaware of the incredibly yikes history of DirectX and the Xbox. Yowza.

I never watched x-play or whatever it was called, didn't even know it existed until the recent Tallarico madness. I had Nintendo Power back then, what else did I need?

Anyways, currently working out which JRPG to play next out of the backlog. We'll see what I end up picking up.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Snooze Cruise posted:

to be frank i always found the steam thread kinda off putting cause of certain posters. its easier to just skim headlines and click relevant articles.

i pointed my rss reader at eurogamer after rps went down the hole and i've not been disappointed so far

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
eurogamer is the site which recently had a great article with this epic quote in it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i still remember one of the first things my brother said about ffxiv after jumping to it from wow was that he was baffled at some of the qol stuff it had that wow still didn't

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i cant believe that article when it came out lmao. in fairness it was a guest editorial and not by their staff but it's still your website

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Colonel posted:

i still remember one of the first things my brother said about ffxiv after jumping to it from wow was that he was baffled at some of the qol stuff it had that wow still didn't

in WoW's case, it's partly that mods helped to cover a ton of the base functionality that WoW was lacking (you still couldn't move the basic UI elements without a mod when i played in BfA), and partly that WoW was the market leader for so long that modern design expectations like fast travel were ignored, since spending 20 minutes flying around on a wyvern was good enough back in the day

it's, ironically, the kind of design hardheadedness that FFXIV 1.0 had, although i've been told dragonflight is course correcting hard and feeling a lot more modern these days

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Sess has shown himself to be an unhinged crazy person after 2016 broke his brain but I think offensive jokes from 15 years ago is not the right angle to attack this on.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
everything that came out of the g4 writer's room was incredibly tasteless, this is like shooting fish in a barrel that is itself a giant fish

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Sess has shown himself to be an unhinged crazy person after 2016 broke his brain but I think offensive jokes from 15 years ago is not the right angle to attack this on.

The reason this is all blowing up is because people were saying Yoshi-P was being crazy for thinking the west discriminated against JRPGs and Japan 10-15 years ago, and now people have gone back and looked at the mainstream gaming culture of the time and realized that yes, he actually has a point.

Besides, Adam Sessler wouldn't have even been the punching bag if he just shut the gently caress up and didn't double down on defending his racist remarks on G4 two days ago on Twitter.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The reason this is all blowing up is because people were saying Yoshi-P was being crazy for thinking the west discriminated against JRPGs and Japan 10-15 years ago, and now people have gone back and looked at the mainstream gaming culture of the time and realized that yes, he actually has a point.

Besides, Adam Sessler wouldn't have even been the punching bag if he just shut the gently caress up and didn't double down on defending his racist remarks on G4 two days ago on Twitter.

I don't disagree with all that. But I just am tired of seeing all the "i can't believe it...THEY SAID RETARD IN 2006!!!" style posts latched onto this. And it's like, I know these people must be like 15 or something but that was commonplace back then...It's not indicative of anything now lol. Sess' problem was doubling down, not that they said cringe poo poo 15 years ago.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i mean that parody of a japanese game show is something you could have gotten away with on like SNL or some poo poo, but everything after that was not lol

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't disagree with all that. But I just am tired of seeing all the "i can't believe it...THEY SAID RETARD IN 2006!!!" style posts latched onto this. And it's like, I know these people must be like 15 or something but that was commonplace back then...It's not indicative of anything now lol. Sess' problem was doubling down, not that they said cringe poo poo 15 years ago.

Most of that poo poo was entirely unacceptable in 2006, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah maybe i'm misremembering things but even then "me so solly!!" level stuff would get you yelled at if you tried it on any given stand-up routine or something