Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
It seems like they just recreated what they had worked on; the game really isn't that complex, particularly when you're buying in a big chunk of your assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I really hope the term "compulsory investigation" I keep seeing means whatever this is is minor, and won't cause the game to loving die.

edit: who the hell knows, hopefully not a Baghdad Bob situation:

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 8, 2023

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Lemming posted:

Come the gently caress on lmao

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
According to ironmace:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So? Can we have nice things after all?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i blame capitalism personally

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

There's a Golden Key room???

https://youtu.be/yD6sgViWzO8

Also there's variations of the main dungeon map???

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jiro posted:

There's a Golden Key room???

https://youtu.be/yD6sgViWzO8

Also there's variations of the main dungeon map???

lol something I noticed from watching lots of videos is that a lot of people were playing this game completely differently than I was

and yes there are 4 different normal dungeons maps and then 3 highroller ones?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

comedyblissoption posted:

the game's melee system very importantly doesn't have built-in feints, easy parries or blocks, or whiff attack into bullshit animation cancels that plague games like mordhau

even if your opponent does some crazy hitbox matrix poo poo, their attack is still readable and you know they're swinging and that if they miss you have a window to go hit them and everyone at all levels of play can recognize it!

I was looking at the first person melee games to tide me over and saw some video and that poo poo was way too involved. It'd be cool to play something with a bit more depth than Dark and Darker but the Mordhau poo poo was ridiculous. Definitely take the simplicity of dnd over that.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

even some of the good players in those games hate that the game looks like a ballerina dance

the most egregious design decision in mordhau and chivalry is letting players cancel the recovery of their whiffed attacks. nevermind that it heavily punishes players for not knowing this silly mechanic exists or makes the game look stupidly spammy. this mechanic devalues the fundamentals of footwork, spacing, and timing.

in the fighting game genre, the developers design their games so that players can punish whiffed attacks for a good reason!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
You can try Expedition to Agartha, which is going free-to-play next week I think. Only issue is that it rarely has players. It was released basically the weekend of the first DaD playtest and had a solid number of players, like 500-1000. But then everyone got tuned into DaD and the Agartha playerbase tanked to like, 3-10 monthly players. I'm hoping the f2p version of it gets some people to look at it again, because its a decent game made by decent devs. A group of like 3-4 dudes made a simply melee looter game with different weapon and armor types.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

comedyblissoption posted:

even some of the good players in those games hate that the game looks like a ballerina dance

the most egregious design decision in mordhau and chivalry is letting players cancel the recovery of their whiffed attacks. nevermind that it heavily punishes players for not knowing this silly mechanic exists or makes the game look stupidly spammy. this mechanic devalues the fundamentals of footwork, spacing, and timing.

in the fighting game genre, the developers design their games so that players can punish whiffed attacks for a good reason!

I also hate UIs with a bunch of stuff popping up though I don't know if Mordhau etc allow you to shut that off.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/aic_armor/status/1634237241840082944?s=19

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

In the evolution of human weaponry, it pretty much goes wooden club, horseman's axe, nuke.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gO4_8klSL4
good vid that I recommend watching

didn't normally run with big AR as fighter but did definitely have some moments where I walked straight at a ranger shooting me repeatedly, stepped in his trap, then disarmed it and continued to walk him down without dying

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

good vid but he neglects to mention or analyze damage breakpoints

getting even just 1% more damage reduction can be huge if it tips you into taking 1 more swing to kill, especially if it's a situation where being 1-shot becomes being 2-shot

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Ehh, there's so many more situational variables needed to analyze damage breakpoints that I don't really see that being very useful info outside of random curiosity.

IE "here's what every class hits with all their available grey weapons" which will be invalid most of the time or provide you with a false sense of security, or "here's what every class can hit with max gear perfect rolls full buffs" which is going to be irrelevant 99.9% of the time.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

there's probably a really good achievable EHP (including a 4 gold prot pot in the EHP) you can target per class that tips you over a lot of commonly achievable damage breakpoints

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
damage breakpoints are not consistent at all outside of starter gear because people run wildly varying +damage or +stat gear on the regular

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah I think damage breakpoints are a bit hard to figure out with the multiple variables, and I'm not sure we really know what 'average' gear looks like at this phase in the beta testing. You'd need like a multi-dimensional excel spreadsheet. But you've got your own AR gear, stats, and perks, and then the enemy stats, gear, perks and active abilities. And depending on how armor applies in this game (I'm not actually sure) hits-to-death will vary a lot because armor then affects low damage attacks far more than high damage attacks.

As a for instance, if your armor reduces damage by 9 and a ranger's arrow does 10 damage, and you have 100 hp, the ranger has to hit you 100 times. The scenario except a Barbarian who does 100 damage on every hit, and he only has to hit you twice even though he only has 10x the damage as the ranger.*

I'm not math enough to figure that out without doing different breakdowns for every gear setup and class.

*numbers completely invented to illustrate problem

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

All of this math arguing is bullshit anyway. All the good players are prot potting for every encounter, and the good teams have buffed there barb with bless, shield, haste and ignite.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yes, but there's no reason your math can't include things like that. Prot pots are effectively just +extra HP for a duration, after all.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if a buffed barb is common, there's like a certain specific damage range to the head like 99% of them with whatever gear rarity you're seeing are going to have.

the gear decisions based on that breakpoint + buffs is then going to be important! do you go for speed or is stacking those rando plate armors you found even going to do anything vs the barb

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You're supposed to wear armor cuz it looks cooler.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

IronicDongz posted:

damage breakpoints are not consistent at all outside of starter gear because people run wildly varying +damage or +stat gear on the regular

there's defensive breakpoints where x armor does 5% dr, those are the ones that matter to hit. early breakpoints are super low requirement and then they diminish significantly unless you have top-end gear

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Anyone playing Expedition to Agartha during the Dark and Darker wait? Let me know if so. It's Free to Play and they made some pretty hefty improvements over the past few months. It's not bad. Not as good as DaD, but its fun still. Might be fun to do some groups. Hit me up on Discord if you wanna do groups: Headshock#7342

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ShowTime posted:

Anyone playing Expedition to Agartha during the Dark and Darker wait? Let me know if so. It's Free to Play and they made some pretty hefty improvements over the past few months. It's not bad. Not as good as DaD, but its fun still. Might be fun to do some groups. Hit me up on Discord if you wanna do groups: Headshock#7342

Did they change the ridiculous HP sponges that enemies were? Last time I tried that game every match was loading in and dying to a single zombie that wouldn’t die.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ShowTime posted:

I figured most people were trying out Diablo IV

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Diablo is full price for a limited time beta? No thanks...

Blizzard kinda lost a lot of credibility with Immortal, I'm not paying sixty bucks to play their game for three days.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Doesn't just paying for it now give you access to the beta and early access and then the game??

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Mendrian posted:

Diablo is full price for a limited time beta? No thanks...

Blizzard kinda lost a lot of credibility with Immortal, I'm not paying sixty bucks to play their game for three days.

They did a promotion with KFC where you could buy a sandwich from their app and get a promo-code for the extra weekend. Too late now though.

I am however, pissy that it's another game where the $20 extra version lets people start playing the game four days before the 1.0 launch. It's a charge that's purely based the social pressure of not wanting to fall behind or be left out.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Diablo 4 is going to be rear end because Blizzard lacks either the talent or the motive to make good games these days. Probably both. This will not stop it from massive success for some reason, because most gamers love being paypigs and Blizzard has mastered the Pavlovian art of loot grind

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

ShowTime posted:

tldr: I think this is a gem of a game, and I am playing it way more than I want to admit, but that gem is covered with some really caked-on poo poo you have to get through. (not P2W poo poo just game design choices)

Also this game has basically the exact same melee combat system as Chiv.

I went in with extremely low expectations given the game's pre-F2P playercount of ~15. Once I started doing arenas and raids and playing with the chiv-but-with-extra-systems combat, I kind of feel like this could be polished/fixed to potentially become a competitor to Dark and Darker offering a different experience. (it probably won't be, but I hope these devs eventually pull it off.)

I do not see myself playing this once Dark and Darker goes into EA, not because I think this game is that bad, but because time is finite and my gaming time will shift there instead (also I'm not sure how much content this has or how often they'll be adding new content).

Player pop is low, but present, at least for right now; some people are actually streaming it and steamcharts shows 150-300ish people since going f2p.

queues aren't bad, most waits are less than 2 minutes and I don't think I've waited more than 3 minutes for a match

however, the fast queue times are because all modes will be populated with bots even if you end up with you and just one other person in the arena or a raid. that's also an immediate turnoff for some people, which is understandable, but you also get lobbies chock full of players sometimes (which I assume coincides with people streaming it, like SoBadStrange streamed it for like 10 hours and the matches where I saw his name on the kill feed were full of players, guessing his viewers trying to play too) but normal raid maps, in my experience so far, tend to have at least a few players/groups per map (fewer as you go into the harder/key-gated maps).

free is the right price for this game right now. and the devs seem to mean well since they've made changes quickly to address feedback (patched some glaring QoL issues the day after f2p launch and appear to be poised for more).

I'm curious to see where they go and I'm enjoying it enough that I don't regret buying the supporter pack for ~$18 USD while it was on sale after it went F2P, but if I was on a budget right now I would absolutely not spend that cash because you don't need to at all. the biggest perk it gives you is +600 stash spaces on top of your in-game gold stash upgrades, and if you just grind out ~400 stash slots that's plenty for non-packrats and very doable via selling what you make on freebooter runs.

Speaking broadly to anyone still reading: if you know how to play Chiv, and you like Dark and Darker, I think it's worth at least trying this free game to see if you like it, especially if you wish Dark and Darker had more varied areas to explore; that is far and away this game's greatest strength imo, the raid maps (non-tutorial and non-freebooter-arena) are actually kind of beautiful and detailed with a lot of nice touches (tutorial looks like poo poo, arena imo is fine once you have the context of the rest of the game's art style)

BUT! If you do try it, I cannot stress this enough: run through the lovely tutorial as fast as you can. you keep nothing from it and the zombies in the tutorial are buggier than on normal maps for whatever reason. the tutorial is total poo poo compared to just playing their no-cooldown Freebooter mode, which is where you load in with random free trash gear (so zero risk and you can just learn) and if you survive/extract, all loot your freebooter character had on them automatically goes into your stash for mercenary mode. (merc mode being dark and darker style "pick a map, bring in items from your stash, and try to extract")

just make sure you periodically check your stash and sell excess loot for cash, both to have it to buy stuff in merc mode but also to upgrade your stash because if your stash fills up then anything you escape with as a freebooter is lost.

I have some disorganized thoughts on the details of the game, and the various things I've learned/terrible things the devs need to improve, but for now I want to waste a few more hours exploring Agartha.

If anyone else is curious enough to hear even more about this weirdass but imo good-for-what-it-tries-to-be game, I'll put a summary post together of the various good and bad and hilariously bad aspects of the game for new players.

Bussamove posted:

Did they change the ridiculous HP sponges that enemies were? Last time I tried that game every match was loading in and dying to a single zombie that wouldn’t die.

I guess they must've? zombies seem about on par with the skeletons in dark and darker while fighting them with starting gear until you find something better (using blades helps for the stacking bleeds to make pve faster) i.e. they can all be ranged/danced around and dealt with by taking no damage, and all hit for a lot of damage if you do take an unblocked hit, just like skellies in dark and darker

(zombies are like the plain skellies, drauger are red ones, corrupted zombies at night being the black skellies that move fast and have different move sets)

also in this game, players, human NPCs, and basic zombies (not draugr or corrupted) can be staggered out of their attack if you land a hit on them during their attack animation, so the plain zombies can just be left-clicked down for the most part by hitting them as they start to scream before charging

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Expedition Agatha is better than it’s own tutorial makes it out to be. It’s definitely more Tarkovy than Dark and Darker. I’ve been having fun with it but it’s player base is going to remain low so it will have no chance to go anywhere.

As far as my actual thoughts on it, it has more of the bad parts of Tarkov than DaD. Insurance, although it’s not as big of a deal in this, is something I hated in Tarkov. People camping their dead teammmates for 20 minutes trying to save the gear instead of looting or doing their quests. Won’t be the same issue here because it’s melee not guns that shoot hundreds of meters. The other issue is the quest design and vendors, as well as having to have items in your inventory not stash making everything take forever. You have a lot of potential to spend a ton of time in the menus instead of in game and fighting.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Agatha has a mode where you can queue like the scavs from Tarkov, but you enter a 16 person tournament where every time you win your 1 on 1 match you get a little more loot until the final 4 have a FFA. It's a ton of fun, good way to actually practice the combat and build a nice stock of loot. Hell I enjoy this so much I just might do this mode forever.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

Agatha has a mode where you can queue like the scavs from Tarkov, but you enter a 16 person tournament where every time you win your 1 on 1 match you get a little more loot until the final 4 have a FFA. It's a ton of fun, good way to actually practice the combat and build a nice stock of loot. Hell I enjoy this so much I just might do this mode forever.

It also has regular scav run type deal on the first map only. Its oddly located on the very top of the screen so a lot of people miss it.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Shut up about not dark and darker

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Shut up about not dark and darker

the only people playing agartha are people waiting to play dark and darker

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Fart and Farter XD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
watched 999 vids of this game and am desperate to play it. i was a big wheel on wizard wars (not really) and its tickling a deep desire i didnt know i had.