Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The Postman posted:

Not sure if you already tried this, but just saw it on Twitter

Neat, maybe I’ll give that a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Commander Keene posted:

Decky breaking and needing to be reinstalled every update is kinda like updates to a soft modded console breaking homebrew every time, or updates to Skyrim breaking mod support.

At least the Steam Deck isn't updating just to add some DLC/microtransactions to the in game shop, or even specifically to break homebrew though.

Well you're modifying the OS itself so there's no way around that. Steam OS is kinda new and in development still, so I feel like it's a bit early to bother modding it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I was more going "this is something familiar to me after having modded so many consoles", not really complaining about it. Also there are a lot of cool features that are Decky plugins now, and while they may become SteamOS features someday I want them NOW!

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The Steamgriddb plugin is just such a nice to have, if you're at all bothered about your library aesthetics and organisation. I could probably go without Decky Loader at all were it not for that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SteamGridDB plugin is essential

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bumhead posted:

The Steamgriddb plugin is just such a nice to have, if you're at all bothered about your library aesthetics and organisation. I could probably go without Decky Loader at all were it not for that.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

SteamGridDB plugin is essential

Yeah, exactly. I also really love the vibrant plugin. Other than those two... Well, the proton badges one is great, and the volume mixer, and...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I like having my boot animation set to a shuffled list of "retro"-styled boot animations customized for the Deck. It's silly, but hits just the right nostalgia bone in me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

I like having my boot animation set to a shuffled list of "retro"-styled boot animations customized for the Deck. It's silly, but hits just the right nostalgia bone in me.

I'm using a The Real Ghostbusters themed video for mine. The ghost walking down the street, jumps forwards, gets caught in the no ghost logo, and then it morphs into the words "Valve Steam Deck", but written out as if it was the RGB title card. Complete with the original music.

I love it.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 10, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

I’ve done the same thing lol

People have made some really fun ones, you can get pretty much any console’s boot sequence redone as a steam deck specific thing

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Commander Keene posted:

I keep forgetting to do anything about the boot animations. Is that a Decky Loader plug in too?

Almost my entire installed library on my Deck are retro games from across various old consoles and PC, so this sounds like something I'd get a kick out of.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bumhead posted:

I keep forgetting to do anything about the boot animations. Is that a Decky Loader plug in too?

Almost my entire installed library on my Deck are retro games from across various old consoles and PC, so this sounds like something I'd get a kick out of.

Yeah it’s called animation changer or something like that.

You can install however many and then set them to shuffle on boot.

It manages them all on deck but you can browse them on pc too at https://steamdeckrepo.com

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Bumhead posted:

Yeah, it's just called Animation Changer or something simple and self-explanatory like that. It even has its own "storefront" where you can download animations other people have uploaded. It's all free though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I love having background music playing and changing the system sounds to PS4. I’ve been rocking the WiiU Mii Creator music and it’s super cozy.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ItsHappening.gif

I know to use Russ for any retro guides but what are the must-do’s for regular old Steam gamin’?

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I just downloaded Decky and Animation Changer and holy crap it's awesome. I downloaded like 25 boot animations and put it on random. The audio is a little loud on some of them vs. the rest so I may delete them if that becomes annoying.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rolo posted:

ItsHappening.gif

I know to use Russ for any retro guides but what are the must-do’s for regular old Steam gamin’?

I hope you have better luck than me, mine went out for delivery like 4 days in a row before I finally got it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rolo posted:

ItsHappening.gif

No unless you run into problems with a specific game it’s just click and play.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Look at the steam deck compatibility on the store page for the game you want. The less compatible it is, the more janitoring you might have to do, but things that have the green check should work more or less flawlessly

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Rolo posted:

You can tweak power settings on the right-side menu, things like setting an FPS cap or battery power draw cap - get used to messing with them for battery life, a smooth 40fps is not too much worse than an up-and-down 60ish, and remember that there's a toggle to make the setting "this game only" which you will forget to tick absolutely every single time and constantly set global changes you don't mean to do

So I guess just make peace with that and Game On™

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 10, 2023

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Rolo posted:

ItsHappening.gif

play them and have fun. You can tinker with power settings and what not if you want but for pretty much every game you can just launch it and play.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
This hombre is CHUNKY.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s a perfect size

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Give it a sniff

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Rolo posted:

This hombre is CHUNKY.

Use it for about a month and then pick up a Switch, which will feel tiny as hell.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Rolo posted:

ItsHappening.gif

Check out the beginner's guide in the OP. I wrote it! Here is that bit:

quote:

What to do first?
- Calibrate the analog sticks. The default dead zones are far too generous. This immediately improves how games feel to control.
- Insert and format an SD card. Start installing some games to it.
- Play Aperture Desk Job. It's a free minigame collection tech demo. Good way to get familiar with the controls. This is your first chance to get a good sniff of the vent, which has different aromas under load than at idle.
- Look around the quick menu that appears when pressing the ... button. Out of the box the Steam Deck is louder, hotter, and goes through battery quicker than it generally needs to.
- Hold the Steam button to show all the shortcuts, memorize your favorites.
Have fun with your Deck it's a great little machine.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Going back to the switch will also suddenly destroy your hands and wrists if you’re over 30

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Is there a keyboard shortcut to bring up the Steam and … menus? I’ve been playing mostly docked lately

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Going back to the switch will also suddenly destroy your hands and wrists if you’re over 30

I have a grip for my Switch which essentially gives it the ergonomics of a Deck, my ~40 year old hands thank me for getting it!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

Who doesn't own at least two Split Pad Pros at this point?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Shoot man I smelled the vent before anyone told me to. Like first thing.

Smells nostalgic. Reminds me of the Christmas that I got my first laptop, a Sony Vaio :allears:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RandolphCarter posted:

Is there a keyboard shortcut to bring up the Steam and … menus? I’ve been playing mostly docked lately

No, as far as I know the only way you can bring up the Steam menu with a keyboard is if you're not playing a game and you keep hitting Esc, the menu will eventually pop up. As far as I'm aware there's no way to open that in-game and there's no way to open the QAM menu on keyboard either at any point.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rolo posted:

Smells nostalgic. Reminds me of the Christmas that I got my first laptop, a Sony Vaio :allears:

The ventsmell is amazing, wait till you fire up a game that makes the fan spin up a bit

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
fun weird steam deck use case: my parents still have my rock band drums at their house, since I live in a tiny apartment and my neighbors would be most displeased if i banged on plastic all day. my ailing xbox 360 has finally stopped reading discs, and i'm too lazy to mod it, so i've started using clone hero instead. i got it installed on the steam deck with a native linux version and made a steam shortcut and everything works just fine when it's docked. i even have a separate sd card for just songs, since i've now got the whole rock band official library on there which is like 80 gigs. really surprised how well it all worked! very nice that i can bring this thing with me when i travel home and maximize my drumming time, lol (definitely a hell of a lot faster on the load times than rock band was)

i've also been using geforce now to play destiny a bit. that said, even when docked with a wired connection, with a pretty good internet connection here, it's pretty rough. i've only got the $10 tier and not the $20 tier, but i assume the higher tier just gets you higher resolution/fps which would be pointless if i'm already struggling with the bitrate. it's all playable enough for the easier pve content in the game, but i definitely won't be trying the new raid this weekend

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

abraham linksys posted:

i've also been using geforce now to play destiny a bit. that said, even when docked with a wired connection, with a pretty good internet connection here, it's pretty rough. i've only got the $10 tier and not the $20 tier, but i assume the higher tier just gets you higher resolution/fps which would be pointless if i'm already struggling with the bitrate. it's all playable enough for the easier pve content in the game, but i definitely won't be trying the new raid this weekend

Does it look bad/at a low FPS? If so, yeah that's an internet issue.

If it's input latency: Disable V-sync ("allow tearing") and any setting that affects input latency, in-game cap at 60 FPS. Disable the steam deck frame limiter and disbale half-rate shading. If it's still

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The ventsmell is amazing, wait till you fire up a game that makes the fan spin up a bit

Take it in then, because a lot of fan spinning is what clears the smell out to begin with.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

sigher posted:

No, as far as I know the only way you can bring up the Steam menu with a keyboard is if you're not playing a game and you keep hitting Esc, the menu will eventually pop up. As far as I'm aware there's no way to open that in-game and there's no way to open the QAM menu on keyboard either at any point.

That’s a bummer

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Rolo posted:

This hombre is CHUNKY.

They got the weight and size just right somehow. Like it feels substantial without being unwieldy or burdensome, and compact without giving the sense that it will break if you grasp it too hard.

Really just an impressive piece of machinery all around.

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

sigher posted:

I had to go check for myself because I assumed the regular Shift+Tab Steam overlay shortcut MUST work....but it doesn't. You need a controller.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rolo posted:

Mine reminded me of my new in the box Oculus Rift CV1 from back in the day. It really is a nostalgic smell if you're a technology nerd (as I'm sure literally everyone who owns a steam deck is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

How is Hogwarts legacy’s performance on the deck? I was streaming it from my desktop last night but my daughter will be using that today and I was wanting to play some while I try to grow couch roots watching basketball. Just wanting to know if it’s playable before I figure out what to delete to make room for 70+ gigs.