Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Alhazred posted:

Is everybody going to ignore that that poster wants "cannibalism as an act of love" to be a plot point.

I'm just spitballing dude, chill out. But yeah "doing hosed up things to protect people you love" is the main theme of this show. I would've liked to see the "hosed up things" have more variety than Pedro shanking mooks #3 and 4 on his way to save Ellie from getting raped onscreen by Reverend Boris Badenov.

And like I'm not the one who brought up cannibalism, the writers put that in there. I'm saying do something interesting with it! Even the Walking Dead played around with factory farming and systemic cruelty in their cannibals and that show was total pulp trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kazzah posted:

Ravenous (1999), one of the best cannibal movies of all time

In a possibly amusing detail, the Finnish name for Ravenous is literally "the wilderness eats a man", ie. "The Wilderness Gnaws on You".

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

In a possibly amusing detail, the Finnish name for Ravenous is literally "the wilderness eats a man", ie. "The Wilderness Gnaws on You".

Don't suppose you want to post the Finnish with word-by-word break down for those of us who just think that's cool?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

th3t00t posted:

Popping in to say I loved the Kicking Bird cameo in episode 6. The male half of the old couple everybody in the thread loved.

Just a ridiculously handsome dude.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
All the talk about Ravenous got me wanting to watch it, so I'm gonna start that. It has a bunch of actors I like in it.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Where is it streaming?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

Where is it streaming?
JustWatch only shows it as a $3.99 rental from a bunch of services, nothin free apparently

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Interesting criticism of the show I heard on a podcast today was that since the show has decided to downplay the presence of the zombies dramatically for the majority of the season (as compared to the game, apparently) it really diminishes the push and urgency behind the vaccine MacGuffin. I think that's valid, and I definitely feel that. Hopefully the character stuff continues to be as good as it has been and overcomes the super thin way they've chosen to go through the plot.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm not sure showing more boring zombie attack scenes would add anything. You're constantly shown how dire things are for most people. Any time mushrooms have shown up, someone has died.

A videogame needs to fill time in ways a show does not. The glut of zombie fights in the game isn't because they really needed to punctuate how bad the mushroom threat is, it's there because it is a AAA videogame and gun violence is best-selling gameplay consumers want to have fairly often to hold their interest and for other game and exploration or story systems to feed back into.

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum
I don't think it's a particularly good criticism. In nearly every encounter where the infected don't actually turn up, the threat of them is still super obvious. Like the dog sniffing scene when the Jackson patrol finds them, or how Ellie uses it to put the fear into David and James and avoid being cleavered. And the undoing of the villains in Kansas City is a lesson that if you let your guard down about planning around the threat of the infected you get hosed. Every society we meet is structured around the omnipresent threat of infection and the danger outsiders represent because of it.

If people expected more zombies in their zombie show that's one thing, but I think it's a pretty thin idea that the lack of infected everywhere in the flesh is undercutting the point of the whole plot.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I do agree that there doesn't seem to be a hurry for a cure by any characters in the show except Ellie doing the wacky thing by smearing her blood on a bite wound.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

It has been 20 years. I think there is a good chance everyone who would have been working on a cure for some part of that time gave up.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mu Zeta posted:

I do agree that there doesn't seem to be a hurry for a cure by any characters in the show except Ellie doing the wacky thing by smearing her blood on a bite wound.

...?

There's only one other character alive besides Ellie who knows she's immune. And he's the dude who is walking across a continent fighting raiders and zombies to get her to a place to hopefully cure it.

Are you seriously complaining that Joel hasn't shown enough hustle or am I misreading you.

Edit : wait, you mean by just like, some randos? My person. Where the gently caress were you when they were trying to invent the vaccines for COVID.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Vaccines are just weakened versions of an existing virus or whatever, right? Stands to reason to make a vaccine all you need to do is beat the hell out of a virus, but not kill it, and pour that rear end-beaten virus juice into a needle.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Khanstant posted:

Vaccines are just weakened versions of an existing virus or whatever, right? Stands to reason to make a vaccine all you need to do is beat the hell out of a virus, but not kill it, and pour that rear end-beaten virus juice into a needle.

Please doctor, speak English!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The theme of "the zombies aren't the real enemy, we are" within the zombie genre isn't anything new and this show hasn't escaped that. Zombies are just kind of the back drop for everything. The world is how it is because zombies. They did their part for the story. So in a way, I can agree with that sentiment of the cure not creating a real sense of urgency, but they also have to travel, mostly by foot, across nearly the entirety of the USA. The urgency was never gonna be there.

You also can't blame people looking for a cure, even still, and doing whatever they want, because they desperately need something to kind of drive them. And that drive also allows them to create an organization with a goal. Try and motivate people and gain them to your cause with just basic survival as the goal. Give them something like curing humanity, all their friends and loved ones they lost, etc, and you get a whole different kind of soldier.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Khanstant posted:

A fungus is much bigger than a virus so there's no way to do the same thing. And the tricky thing with covid is that even the dead version of it makes the immune system lose its poo poo, hence the first round of vaccines using mRNA to trick the body into making antibodies against a part of the virus.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We're not letting you into our compound, Dr. Einstein Poindexter, attorney of genius. We used bigger fists to beat up bigger fungus to pour into a bigger needle, meanwhile you're out there with baby needles trying to find a little girl to invent a cure for you.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Xiahou Dun posted:

...?

There's only one other character alive besides Ellie who knows she's immune. And he's the dude who is walking across a continent fighting raiders and zombies to get her to a place to hopefully cure it.

Are you seriously complaining that Joel hasn't shown enough hustle or am I misreading you.

Edit : wait, you mean by just like, some randos? My person. Where the gently caress were you when they were trying to invent the vaccines for COVID.

I think it's more that the show isn't concerned about any cure. Which is fine. I don't think Joel cares much about it. He cares about doing what Tess wanted and he likes taking care of Ellie. In any case I think the title of the show is best taken literally. It's over for humans.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Something I thought of last episode, I wonder if Ellie legitimately did, or could, infect someone through a bite or with her blood? They call her "immune", but she could just be asymptomatic with a low-level amount of the fungus still present in her system. Like chicken pox & shingles, even though that's a virus. I mean I guess I don't know enough about human fungal infections to know whether that's possible, but it's also not possible for fungi to turn people into bulletproof rock monsters so we're kinda in uncharted territory here.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The world has basically ended but you know i just dont think this threat is real enough. maybe if a mushroom man popped up more to jumpscare me

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Technically not a virus. Which if you ask me makes it way the gently caress more terrifying. It's just a fungus that eats people from the inside out and takes over your brain and bursts through your skin and I can't imagine why a trans woman would find that so terrifying shut up shut up shut up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Khanstant posted:

Nah viruses don’t really take nonlethal damage. You either beat the virus till it’s incapable of infection altogether and inject that, an inactivated virus vaccine. We have one for polio, the Salk vaccine. The Cutter incident is what happens when you fail to inactivate every last virion.

Or you gently caress the virus’s genes up either directly with modern gene editing or by tricking it into adapting at infecting non-human animals and incidentally becoming worse at causing disease in humans.

This yields a live attenuated vaccine. We also have one of these for polio, the Sabin vaccine. The strength of this vaccine took polio to the brink of eradication, but it also illustrates the limitations of doing this work without modern genetic techniques. It has a small chance of evolving in the human body to form that causes disease, and it can spread within a community in this virulent form.

There is a live attenuated polio vaccine that’s been gene-edited to eliminate this risk, creatively called the New Oral Polio Vaccine, nOPV.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Xiahou Dun posted:

Marlene knew, presuming she survived getting gut shot. And which ever Firefly was making Ellie count to ten probably knew.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

deoju posted:

Marlene knew, presuming she survived getting gut shot. And which ever Firefly was making Ellie count to ten probably knew.

Okay, fair. I meant "character who is actually present in the narrative" since we're talking about if they're shown to be rushing for a cure. Marlene hasn't been on screen for most of the season so she could be founding a new secret order of mycologist-druids or chilling with the last functional margarita machine and it'd still be a moot point.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

banned from Starbucks posted:

The world has basically ended but you know i just dont think this threat is real enough. maybe if a mushroom man popped up more to jumpscare me

They popped up a bloater like a GOT dragon. I can understand watchers being like 'wait, why'd they even bother with the underground fungi system that connects them all, and The Long Night-esque zombie invasion caused by one truck sinking into the foundation of a house, etc if it means gently caress all'.

The show's a good 7/10, but the tone is all over the place. Are there different people making each episode or something? Did they not share notes?

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 11, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Barreft posted:

They popped up a bloater like a GOT dragon. I can understand watchers being like 'wait, why'd they even bother with the underground fungi system that connects them all, and The Long Night-esque zombie invasion caused by one truck sinking into the foundation of a house, etc if it means gently caress all'.

Does anyone have these expectations without randomly assuming it should be paced be like other shows?

Like would these same people be confused that a book isn't structured like a game of baseball or do they only confuse HBO shows with each other and not all the other poo poo in their lives?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

Does anyone have these expectations without randomly assuming it should be paced be like other shows?

Like would these same people be confused that a book isn't structured like a game of baseball or do they only confuse HBO shows with each other and not all the other poo poo in their lives?

I have no expectations. I never played the games. I'd play the first one if they ever decide to release it on PC.

Also the pace is fine, I never mentioned that.

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 11, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

https://twitter.com/TheLastofUsHBO/status/1624241821768613888?lang=en

HBO confuses themselves. Beware the Night King lol

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 11, 2023

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
You don't need a cure if you live in a bumfuck Colorado resort town that was never meant to be self sustaining, because there won't be infected around - it's been abandoned for 20 years and has no big scary buildings or sewers or subways or anything to speak of, and lots of wide open land

it does mean you starve to death in winter without enough long pork though

Barreft posted:

I have no expectations. I never played the games. I'd play the first one if they ever decide to release it on PC.

Also the pace is fine, I never mentioned that.

When they announced the remake of the first one for PS5, they said it was coming to PC "later" that was like a year ago they announced that. It was supposed to come out last week but it's out the 28th

You are gonna be REALLY sick of infected, clickers especially, by the time you're done

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 11, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Nail Rat posted:

You are gonna be REALLY sick of infected, clickers especially, by the time you're done

Yeah they moved it to later this month when it was supposed to be out now, so grr.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
That studio doesn't miss. If they needed 3 extra weeks they needed it.

I'm gonna rebuy it on PC too, but maybe in a while - I just finished the remake on PS5. When it comes to pacing, expect to fight a lot of infected and raiders. Over and over and over. And over.

I personally like the pacing of the show better esp as I was just replaying the game to see the story again, but it would probably make for a boring videogame. Different mediums and all

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Khanstant posted:

We're not letting you into our compound, Dr. Einstein Poindexter, attorney of genius. We used bigger fists to beat up bigger fungus to pour into a bigger needle, meanwhile you're out there with baby needles trying to find a little girl to invent a cure for you.

In The Last of Us universe, the man who grew up next to a Hulk Hands Factory is King.

Edit: Well either that, or Ludacris is....

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Again I never mentioned pacing. I mentioned tone. Every episode seems so wildly different it's almost like the Star Wars Sequels with different directors.

I like the show, I'm not making GBS threads here

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Barreft posted:

The show's a good 7/10, but the tone is all over the place. Are there different people making each episode or something? Did they not share notes?

Well, yea, kinda. Depends on what you mean by "making". There are 7 different directors. That's pretty common for series though. They all stick to the same plot and have the same producers, same writer, same editor, etc, but the director is different in almost every episode. It's not that unusual that things feel a little different.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I don't understand. The whole point of the show is that Joel is taking Ellie across the country to make a cure/vaccine. He abandoned everything he knew in Boston because his dying partner tearfully begged him to do it so her death would have meaning. He then tearfully begged his brother to take Ellie the rest of the way to the fireflies because he felt he'd gotten too old to see it through, and was only convinced otherwise after another heartfelt conversation with Ellie.

We're constantly treated to a beaten, broken down world inhabited by beaten, broken down people. The exception is Jackson, yes, but everywhere else we've seen is slowly dying at best and actively being overrun by infected at worst. Ellie's potential cure is a solution.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The mushrooms probably just need to be cooked and that's why they are making everyone sick. If you eat or are eaten by certain raw mushrooms obviously you risk geting sick or worse.

Jerusalem posted:

In The Last of Us universe, the man who grew up next to a Hulk Hands Factory is King.

Edit: Well either that, or Ludacris is....

Always a good time to revisit that video. That's the sort of stuff I'd bore Ellie to tears with if I were Joel. She doesn't even know about Neopets or my unjust account freezing for cheating just a little bit.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Morrow posted:

I don't understand. The whole point of the show is that Joel is taking Ellie across the country to make a cure/vaccine. He abandoned everything he knew in Boston because his dying partner tearfully begged him to do it so her death would have meaning. He then tearfully begged his brother to take Ellie the rest of the way to the fireflies because he felt he'd gotten too old to see it through, and was only convinced otherwise after another heartfelt conversation with Ellie.

We're constantly treated to a beaten, broken down world inhabited by beaten, broken down people. The exception is Jackson, yes, but everywhere else we've seen is slowly dying at best and actively being overrun by infected at worst. Ellie's potential cure is a solution.

So what don't you understand?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I'd love for sometime to explicitly say how the tone is different other than a nebulous "it feels" post. Ever episode established a cruel, unforgiving new world full of viciousness and unease sprinkled with fleeting moments of connection and found love/happiness, often for it to only be quickly taken away.

Like every episode.

Episode 1) we see the world fall apart and Joel loses his daughter setting up everything we'll come to expect.

Episode 2) they escape and run into brutal infected, and we lose tess, after establishing that they had some kind of relationship

Episode 3) literally the thesis, a brutal world conquered by Frank who finds love before they both choose to go out on their own terms. This is probably the most uplifting episode because they, in a way, do get a happy ending, and it was less taken from them as much as they choose it.

Episode 4 & 5). They deal with a brutal Kansas City, Ellie is forced into her first act of violence and an uneasy truce becomes a friendship until morning comes and Henry and Sam die.

Episode 6) again maybe a bit different but it's about how you can cultivate that connection into an entire community but Joel rejects it in favor of a promise he made to tess and they are sent back into the wilds where Joel is hurt.

Episode 7) again more directly on the thesis that people cling to love/connection in this horrid world but it's still often stolen from us in an instant but that still makes it worth fighting for.

Episode 8) Ellie protects Joel and helps him recover but not soon enough before being ambushed and captured leading to her finally having to become extremely violent and damaged, Joel still tries to protect and find that connection after it happens to her.

These all feel very tonally similar and appropriate to me but maybe I'm weird. Every episode seems to revolve around the question of "in a world where you need to lose your humanity to survive, why do we cling to it so hard"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Yeah you're right. Sorry.