Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The comcast guide says that the one starting now is from last week and that the new one starts at the regular time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It's apparently a 2 parter, both premiering tonight. I did check the schedule and there are 2 episodes listed, one 47 minutes long and one 46 minutes long, so not just a re-showing.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
They really kept that a surprise, we get a whole The Last of Us movie tonight.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

ShowTime posted:

It's apparently a 2 parter, both premiering tonight. I did check the schedule and there are 2 episodes listed, one 47 minutes long and one 46 minutes long, so not just a re-showing.

Googling around it seems like they’re just encoring the episode immediately after it finishes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ShowTime posted:

They really kept that a surprise, we get a whole The Last of Us movie tonight.

The second episode is the making of documentary.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Ahh, interesting. It's just listed as Episode 9. Both of them are labeled Episode 9, but they aren't listed as pt 1 and pt 2, so I guess that makes sense.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I'm very pleased that I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen I gather maybe some big reveal

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Seven Round Things posted:

Do I understand correctly that tonight's episode airs at 0100 UTC? The other episodes were all 0200, but EDT started today.
UK TV guides have it at 0200. I doubt they're wrong, so it looks like it's being unnecessarily delayed an hour.

Edit: :psyduck:

US changed the clocks this morning and UK doesn’t for two weeks or so, that’s why it changed times.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

smackfu posted:

US changed the clocks this morning and UK doesn’t for two weeks or so, that’s why it changed times.

It'll air in the US at 9PM New York time (1AM UTC), but Sky in the UK will air it at 10PM New York time (2AM UTC). Doesn't make sense any way you slice it- they're just sitting on it for an extra hour :(

(My :psyduck: was about it possibly being another hour early, but it looks like that was just a rerun of Ep8.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Hehe, that’s just Sky not changing their schedule. Oops.

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
Oh my god I thought Joel was going to blast that giraffe for meat

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
The action in the episode could've been shot better but I understand why they went with a more stylistic approach. It was quicker and easier, and got the point across just as well as a sick action set piece would have.

All in all I think they stuck the landing. I'd give the show an 8/10 overall.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well they definitely did a fantastic job of the series. drat that ending. I was surprised.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

LaserPrinter69 posted:

Oh my god I thought Joel was going to blast that giraffe for meat

There were a lot of them. I was hoping Joel would have said later we have a lot of giraffe jerky left but instead they went with another Chef Boyardee product placement.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm glad they didn't gently caress with the ending. This was a great season, really can't wait for season 2 though I'm guessing that's close to 2 years off since they aren't even doing pre production yet.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

That was unexpected.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

That ending did not deliver on the promise of the first 7 episodes lol. 10 minutes of characters and a 30 minute schlocky as gently caress action sequence. This could have been so interesting, but it immediately felt like a lovely video game dialog/action sequence.

Very disappointed in what felt like a missed opportunity in the finale.

Was the surgery guaranteed to succeed and also to kill Ellie? What went in to Marlene's decision? What about the nameless doctor?

Just so many random elements that could have created better character moments (which were the show's strength)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This one wins the prize for having a segment most obviously like a video game level.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Having Joel go full antihero like that is interesting, but the set-up and pacing of the end of the season really didn't work for me.

I liked last week's preacher episode but feel like it could have been skipped to do more with the Firefly leader and Ellie's relationship, and more exposition beyond 'actually we're sacrificing her and Joel is rampaging now'

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The show really mismanaged and misallocated it’s time. Why do 9 episodes when 10 is the standard, and two episodes were standalone episodes.

I’m not a fan of this indulgent production style where the show is happy to spend 75 minutes going off on a tangent but then has to rush through all the relevant plot points to squeeze everything in. This probably needed 10 70 minute episodes, and that spectacular episode 3 now looks like a waste of time in retrospect.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

TyrantWD posted:

The show really mismanaged and misallocated it’s time. Why do 9 episodes when 10 is the standard, and two episodes were standalone episodes.

I’m not a fan of this indulgent production style where the show is happy to spend 75 minutes going off on a tangent but then has to rush through all the relevant plot points to squeeze everything in. This probably needed 10 70 minute episodes, and that spectacular episode 3 now looks like a waste of time in retrospect.

Couldn't agree more.

The entire episode was over too quick. So were most episodes. My biggest complaint is that the episodes were too short. We had 5 minutes between Joel first calling Ellie "baby girl" last episode and him acting like she's his new surrogate daughter in this episode. I understand that we're meant to know that time has passed but it just felt rushed, like most of the season.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I was pretty happy with it overall. I forgot Ashley Johnson was going to be in this until I heard her voice. Acting was great all the way through. They could have trimmed a little more of Joel's rampage and been fine.

Overall though they really did rush through the first game's story a little too fast. I've got to think HBO was hesitant to commit too big to the show and viewed making a game adaptation as a little risky. After the reception, I almost expect them to swing too far the other direction for subsequent seasons.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Season 2 will be the first level of the 2nd game.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
OK forgive a stupid question

From my watching she actually somehow became immune because the mom lied about timing and she got bit and then a 1/2 minute or so later maybe a minute then she cut the umbilical cord and that's what made her immune

I was thinking the twist was because it was a physical action like that it isn't anything she could pass on genetically from her dna or something

But actually that's not it and what Marlene said the doctor was going to do is actually the situation, cordycepts inside her brain and the doctors plan could have worked?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Bandire posted:

After the reception, I almost expect them to swing too far the other direction for subsequent seasons.

I don't think they'll start making too many episodes or super long episodes, but they have said that the second game would take more than one season, and it will. To do it properly it'll need 2 10 eipsode seasons.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 13, 2023

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Bored As gently caress posted:

Couldn't agree more.

The entire episode was over too quick. So were most episodes. My biggest complaint is that the episodes were too short. We had 5 minutes between Joel first calling Ellie "baby girl" last episode and him acting like she's his new surrogate daughter in this episode. I understand that we're meant to know that time has passed but it just felt rushed, like most of the season.

At least we got to see Joel deliver the line "It was never the lasterliest of you or me, it was The Last of US" and they slow panned through a montage of Boston, The Libertarian Advocacy Compound, Kansas City, Jackson, The University of East Colorado, Silver Lake, and Salt Lake City, just filled with corpses, monkeys, giraffes and cordyceps as the only living things left.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Spinz posted:

From my watching she actually somehow became immune because the mom lied about timing and she got bit and then a 1/2 minute or so later maybe a minute then she cut the umbilical cord and that's what made her immune

I was thinking the twist was because it was a physical action like that it isn't anything she could pass on genetically from her dna or something

But actually that's not it and what Marlene said the doctor was going to do is actually the situation, cordycepts inside her brain and the doctors plan could have worked?
Not a stupid question.

It sounds like from the time her mother was bitten to the severing of the umbilical cord, Ellie was dosed with just enough cordyceps for it to grow throughout her system (including her brain), but somehow not enough for it to actually take her over. Theory from the Fireflies was that the 'ceps she had gave off chemical signals that convinced foreign invading 'ceps that she was already one of the herd, which is why none of the bites led to a takeover. So, the plan was to scoop the 'ceps out of her brain, and somehow replicate the chemical and/or weakened 'ceps and test it on others.

The part about the initial infection not being strong enough to take her over seems... weird to me. But, you can see why the Fireflies are interested in doing what they attempted to do.

Narratively it works pretty well as, she'd definitely die (because how the hell are they going to keep her alive in this world after cutting out chunks of her brain) and it'd maybe work, but who knows.

Joel's response is understandable either way (for all the FEDRA are Nazis poo poo, this is some hosed up experimentation without consent by the Fireflies on someone he loves), but it's interesting to ponder whether the Firefly plan could have worked.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 13, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Spinz posted:

Not a stupid question at all. It's entirely valid. The surgeon's theory that Marlene gave us is both stupid and psychotic.

Stop and think about what the actual claim is. The doctor is claiming that the cordyceps in Ellie's brain is special. Only the cordyceps in her brain. Otherwise they could have gotten it from other parts of her body without killing her. Like any of her gnarly cordyceps scars. Or from her mouth where many other cordyceps zombies have been shown to grow cordyceps tendrils from. So if only the cordyceps in her brain is special, how come the scars where she got bit are so localized? If the cordyceps was behaving normally you'd expect to see a growth pattern from the infection site all the way to her brain. But you don't. The scars are little handish sized ovals. So there's clearly some mechanism where cordyceps infections are stopped from growing long before reaching her brain. The cure can't just be in her brain. Which is why I call the doctor's theory stupid.

Not only is it stupid, its psychotic. Ellie is the only immune person in the world. They have one and only one chance to make a cure from her. Even if they're pretty sure the cure is in her brain, they should try other things first. Cutting into her brain is expected to kill her (brain surgery is survivable in the here and now but the surgeon is clearly an idiot so I'm willing to accept that he's going to kill her in the process). So if his first attempt doesn't work, that's it. Game over. No cure. So any reasonable person would try every non-fatal method of extracting a cure first. Blood samples, muscle biopsies, samples from her scars. Samples from her bone barrow. Anything and everything you can try before killing your only hope of making a cure. But nope, their first and only plan is to murder a kid. Which is psychotic. You don't even need to be a good person to think this is a bad plan. It's a bad decision from a purely amoral risk-benefit calculus perspective.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 13, 2023

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Yeah, all of that too!

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

LLSix posted:

Not a stupid question at all. It's entirely valid. The surgeon's theory that Marlene gave us is both stupid and psychotic.

Stop and think about what the actual claim is. The doctor is claiming that the cordyceps in Ellie's brain is special. Only the cordyceps in her brain. Otherwise they could have gotten it from other parts of her body without killing her. Like any of her gnarly cordyceps scars. Or from her mouth where many other cordyceps zombies have been shown to grow cordyceps tendrils from. So if only the cordyceps in her brain is special, how come the scars where she got bit are so localized? If the cordyceps was behaving normally you'd expect to see a growth pattern from the infection site all the way to her brain. But you don't. The scars are little handish sized ovals. So there's clearly some mechanism where cordyceps infections are stopped from growing long before reaching her brain. The cure can't just be in her brain. Which is why I call the doctor's theory stupid.

Not only is it stupid, its psychotic. Ellie is the only immune person in the world. They have one and only one chance to make a cure from her. Even if they're pretty sure the cure is in her brain, they should try other things first. Cutting into her brain is expected to kill her (brain surgery is survivable in the here and now but the surgeon is clearly an idiot so I'm willing to accept that he's going to kill her in the process). So if his first attempt doesn't work, that's it. Game over. No cure. So any reasonable person would try every non-fatal method of extracting a cure first. Blood samples, muscle biopsies, samples from her scars. Samples from her bone barrow. Anything and everything you can try before killing your only hope of making a cure. But nope, their first and only plan is to murder a kid. Which is psychotic. You don't even need to be a good person to think this is a bad plan. It's a bad decision from a purely amoral risk-benefit calculus perspective.

They built this theory and prepped her for surgery in about the four hours Joey was knocked out. And I took it to mean that her brain was producing signalling proteins in her brain on a cellular level that they could grow in some medium. Not that the cordyceps was that happened to be in her brain was any better. So lets say they interviewed her while she was freaking out and Marlene is like Joey is downstairs, sorry the guards knocked his rear end out. That she would submit to any of this without confirming Joey was alright and she had talked it over with him first.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

LLSix posted:

amen, regardless of the game and if there is more detail there or something, with what the show presented, Joel is right.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Seemed like this season needed one more episode. Like they get caught by the fireflies at the end of 9, and 10 is the hospital and escape.

I’d say I’m disappointed by the season overall. Started with some real high hopes, but I’ve gotten tired of these sort of villain or location of the week episodes. Maybe next season is better if they can hang around Jackson for at least a few episodes. I am wondering where it goes from here. The story could’ve easily just ended and it would’ve been fine. I’ll still watch S2, but I may give up after that if the show doesn’t improve a little.

E: agreed that the doctor’s plan was stupid. Not to mention does that surgeon even know how to cultivate and develop a cure? Those are very different fields of medicine. Surgeons are going to operate though.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

FWIW, I don't think this counts as a spoiler anymore - the game went a lot less into the theory than the show did.

In fact, I had heard that they were trying to make it in the show so it's no doubt it would work (that debate has raged on for ten years already) so looks like they failed going by this thread :lol:

I don't think the fireflies could invent tomato soup let alone a cure

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I mean hell, Marlene says they didn't tell Ellie and put her under oblivious, then 20 minutes of runtime later makes an appeal to Joel about "it's what she would want." If that was the case and you were confident why not just ask her that? Why not let her say goodbye to Joel rather than risk his rampage?

It really just SCREAMS "lovely video game dialog option" rather than any actual motivation or logic you could put to it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I do appreciate Joel’s no hesitation killing, unlike every other person who comes across him it seems.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Skyl3lazer posted:

I mean hell, Marlene says they didn't tell Ellie and put her under oblivious, then 20 minutes of runtime later makes an appeal to Joel about "it's what she would want." If that was the case and you were confident why not just ask her that? Why not let her say goodbye to Joel rather than risk his rampage?

It really just SCREAMS "lovely video game dialog option" rather than any actual motivation or logic you could put to it.
I wouldn't say it's bad writing though. I haven't played the game, but from what we've seen the Fireflies are fanatical idiots and hypocrites. Marlene's actions are consistent with that.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Skyl3lazer posted:

easier to say after the fact its what she would have wanted than to actually ask a person if they will sacrifice themselves and then risk them saying no. then you have to murder them.

marlene isnt supposed to be fundamentally right here.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

That's Marlene's attempt to appeal to Joel, but I'd say it's pretty clear that would do it whether she agreed or not. It makes a selfish kind of sense that they wouldn't want to ask her under those circumstances, because what if she does say no?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

easier to say after the fact its what she would have wanted than to actually ask a person if they will sacrifice themselves and then risk them saying no. then you have to murder them.

marlene isnt supposed to be fundamentally right here.

yeah them putting her under without asking and telling joel that, plus the cockamamie plan to create a cure to me makes the firelies look like clowns. also why would you not wait to tell joel until AFTER its done? Absolute idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ersatz posted:

I wouldn't say it's bad writing though. I haven't played the game, but from what we've seen the Fireflies are fanatical idiots and hypocrites. Marlene's actions are consistent with that.

Sure, my point was more that because they don't give you any of the character moments that lead to a major decision ("I am going to kill my dead friend's child") it just seems farcical from an audience perspective. You're left to make a bunch of assumptions about what she's thinking or struggling with rather than being with them as they process events. It's one of the same problems GoT had with Danerys - what is she thinking as she's rampaging around? There's tons of interesting or provoking things it *could* be, but it's left to to audience to fill in for missing scenes.