Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Crowetron posted:

It's under game settings but looking at it again it's called "Display Take over all items" instead of just being called a loot filter.

That's really weird and probably why I didn't find it.

Anyway I've been replaying Super Robot Wars 30, and the DLC units all look kind of weird? Like their art styles don't quite mesh with the rest of the game and it's kind of offputting. It doesn't stop them from being rad or anything, I now have three variations of the nu-gundam just obliterating the battlefield. But the hi-nu, and OG unit sprites mostly look like something you'd see in a mid 2000's browser game ad, while a bunch of others like the ultraman units just look like 3D renders plopped down into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Tomb Raider 2's final boss with the Dragon kind of sucks, I hated that fight. I've beaten the game now though, so I'm done with it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Dragon’s Dogma could use some kind of enemy radar, my pawns keep shouting “look, a goblin!” and it’ll take like 10 seconds for me to figure out where the drat thing is.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Wolves hunt in packs!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

What a large tree.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Someone needs to do a Elden Ring video where the player character comments everything using pawn voices from DD.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
While I'm enjoying Maneater a lot, there's a mechanic I'm having to deal with late in the game that's starting to really annoy me.

In the tutorial you're introduced to the idea that you can grab targets then, rather than eat them, launch them into the distance. This ability serves no particular function in the tutorial, and then after completing the tutorial it's taken away from you until you're quite a bit further into the game. Even then it serves no real point.

Until all of a sudden you hit the final two bounty hunters, who have electric fields on their boats and throw depth charges into the water, which you're expected to grab and launch at the boats with precision targeting while under a storm of fire because it's a late game battle with humans.

This is incredibly obnoxious to put it mildly, and what I'd call the first real misstep of the game.

I was able to wear down the nine-star bounty hunter because my mutations let me launch blasts of poison, thereby slowly wearing down the bounty hunter, but this bodes poorly.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Dragon’s Dogma could use some kind of enemy radar, my pawns keep shouting “look, a goblin!” and it’ll take like 10 seconds for me to figure out where the drat thing is.

I hear they ill like fire.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nuebot posted:

That's really weird and probably why I didn't find it.

Anyway I've been replaying Super Robot Wars 30, and the DLC units all look kind of weird? Like their art styles don't quite mesh with the rest of the game and it's kind of offputting. It doesn't stop them from being rad or anything, I now have three variations of the nu-gundam just obliterating the battlefield. But the hi-nu, and OG unit sprites mostly look like something you'd see in a mid 2000's browser game ad, while a bunch of others like the ultraman units just look like 3D renders plopped down into the game.

They're not trying to be the same art style, they're trying to replicate different stuff from their animes and Ultraman was in 3d cgi I guess. Gridman's one attack is just a youtube video from it lol. It does feel clunky later when they start putting different things in like a bad low framerate gif of something scanning or activating or whatever. It's a little weird for Hi Nu because it's not actually from anything but a novel so they kind of just made something up.

SRW 30's real problem is just how easy it is and how loving long it is though lmao

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Mar 13, 2023

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Cythereal posted:

While I'm enjoying Maneater a lot, there's a mechanic I'm having to deal with late in the game that's starting to really annoy me.

In the tutorial you're introduced to the idea that you can grab targets then, rather than eat them, launch them into the distance. This ability serves no particular function in the tutorial, and then after completing the tutorial it's taken away from you until you're quite a bit further into the game. Even then it serves no real point.

Until all of a sudden you hit the final two bounty hunters, who have electric fields on their boats and throw depth charges into the water, which you're expected to grab and launch at the boats with precision targeting while under a storm of fire because it's a late game battle with humans.

This is incredibly obnoxious to put it mildly, and what I'd call the first real misstep of the game.

I was able to wear down the nine-star bounty hunter because my mutations let me launch blasts of poison, thereby slowly wearing down the bounty hunter, but this bodes poorly.

The late game stuff got pretty tedious but you can get through it simply by button-mashing. Don't think I engaged with the throw mechanism again once I'd got the lock gates open.

I found once you had the Bone armour fully upgraded the boat fights just became a case of using your Special to tank, spamming ram/roll until it ran out, then chomping divers to regain health and power until you could Spec/Spam again. For the animal bosses use the Poison armour instead to grind them down and use the ranged attack continuously to stack poison markers between their attacks.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Cythereal posted:

the game rocks, but skip the DLC. grabbing and launching becomes the new primary mechanic

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter:
The game so far has been about walking around in a forest with some small points of interest here and there and some footpaths. You are provided no map and no road signs. Here's hoping you remember where everything is, especially since you'll be needing them to solve the puzzles.
Oh, and the cutscenes/imagination events aren't helping, since they often teleport you to a different location, throwing your navigation off even more.
The game (intentionally) lacks clear motivations or instructions for progressing, which it describes as "the game not holding your hand", but sometimes it feels more like I'm trying to reach towards it and it slaps my hand away with a slimy fish.
I've barely started the game (just reached the graveyard) and I'm already unsure whether I want to continue.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bussamove posted:

What a large tree.

'Tis even bigger up close

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Suleman posted:

The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter:
The game so far has been about walking around in a forest with some small points of interest here and there and some footpaths. You are provided no map and no road signs. Here's hoping you remember where everything is, especially since you'll be needing them to solve the puzzles.
Oh, and the cutscenes/imagination events aren't helping, since they often teleport you to a different location, throwing your navigation off even more.
The game (intentionally) lacks clear motivations or instructions for progressing, which it describes as "the game not holding your hand", but sometimes it feels more like I'm trying to reach towards it and it slaps my hand away with a slimy fish.
I've barely started the game (just reached the graveyard) and I'm already unsure whether I want to continue.

I enjoyed most of those puzzles, but thenn I got to a lategame one that just ruined the atmosphere where you are wandering through a mine and there is a jumpscare zombie wandering around. It was just so out of place.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

BioEnchanted posted:

I enjoyed most of those puzzles, but thenn I got to a lategame one that just ruined the atmosphere where you are wandering through a mine and there is a jumpscare zombie wandering around. It was just so out of place.

Oh my GOD, that part sucked so bad I had voided it from my memory. :psyduck:

Enjoyed the game otherwise, but :wtf:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've gotten the urge to start playing MGSV from the beginning again, so today I remembered just how annoying that extended prologue/tutorial gets to be. It's great for one time through, very cinematic and intriguing, but it sucks to play more than one time and needs to be skippable. Today's experience was pretty typical:

- Spend 20 minutes dicking around with steam, trying to remember how to find and overwrite your save files with a fresh one skipping that section
- Give up and spend another 25 minutes slogging your way through all of the intro, even with skipping the dozens of separate cutscenes as soon as possible
- Bonus twist: finally getting to the first mission almost an hour in, only to remember that your controller is screwed up enough that you can't switch your primary weapons

I love playing the game starting from the beginning and slowly working your way up through weapon and gadget tech, but it seems like such a hassle to actually get to the gameplay every time
:negative:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I checked out Hardspace Shipbreaker again, after testing it out a bit way back in the first-early-access release days.

And game, I just want to hardspace shipbreak, please stop having people monologuing at me through my intercom.
There isn't that much of it thankfully, but whenever someone starts talking at me after a mission it always feels 2x too long. The ingame stuff is perfectly fine, because I'm doing stuff.
The stuff in the hab just has you prisoner.

I wouldn't be annoyed with this if these chats came in during gameplay instead.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Elden Ring is one of the best games I've ever played.

However, mapping crouch to L3 leads me to constantly crouching during boss fights when I'm trying to haul rear end. When I get panicky during tense moments, my guy decides that now is a good time to try and hide in some weeds.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

However, mapping crouch to L3 leads me to constantly crouching during boss fights when I'm trying to haul rear end. When I get panicky during tense moments, my guy decides that now is a good time to try and hide in some weeds.

Yeah, it's pretty clear they ran out of buttons on the controller. Between that and trying to learn a new way to flip between 1h/2h stance, I feel like I constantly mess up in that game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That can actually work to your advantage since there is a glitch where if you crouch while running and toggling weapons you can recover stamina will still running, giving you infinite stamina. How likely you are to remember that in casual play I don't know. I know I don't.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

This was my dad's biggest problem with Breath of the Wild, and was hilarious every time I would go over to his place and hang out while he played. Middle of a Ganon fight. I'm solving a shrine on my own switch and I just hear "STOP!! CROUCHING!!" and look up to see waterblighy Ganon dumpstering a crouching Link

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

bawk posted:

This was my dad's biggest problem with Breath of the Wild, and was hilarious every time I would go over to his place and hang out while he played. Middle of a Ganon fight. I'm solving a shrine on my own switch and I just hear "STOP!! CROUCHING!!" and look up to see waterblighy Ganon dumpstering a crouching Link

Ah, I haven't played Elden Ring, but I was trying to remember what other game did that and it was BotW. It gives me no end of trouble even after getting used to the run button, because clicking the left stick is just too easy to do by mistake. It's also aggravating that they let you do some controls customization, but only in the form of swapping two options for the jump button.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've gotten the urge to start playing MGSV from the beginning again, so today I remembered just how annoying that extended prologue/tutorial gets to be. It's great for one time through, very cinematic and intriguing, but it sucks to play more than one time and needs to be skippable. Today's experience was pretty typical:

- Spend 20 minutes dicking around with steam, trying to remember how to find and overwrite your save files with a fresh one skipping that section
- Give up and spend another 25 minutes slogging your way through all of the intro, even with skipping the dozens of separate cutscenes as soon as possible
- Bonus twist: finally getting to the first mission almost an hour in, only to remember that your controller is screwed up enough that you can't switch your primary weapons

I love playing the game starting from the beginning and slowly working your way up through weapon and gadget tech, but it seems like such a hassle to actually get to the gameplay every time
:negative:

Also there is, inexplicably, no audio controls for MGSV. Personally, the thing that fucks me up about that game is that they patched out the really awesome weapon customization bug that let you basically add anything to anything; it was so cool and they took it away.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
I'm wondering what's wrong with me because clicking sticks in on a controller is one of the most deeply unpleasant sensations and I can't imagine doing it by accident.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Also there is, inexplicably, no audio controls for MGSV. Personally, the thing that fucks me up about that game is that they patched out the really awesome weapon customization bug that let you basically add anything to anything; it was so cool and they took it away.

I forgot about that first thing, one of the downsides to playing on PC and having to fiddle with steam audio if I want to listen to something else on the side. Also, I didn't get to the game for a few years after it came out, so I can only dream of the glory days of grenade silencers :sigh:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Nuebot posted:

Is there a mod to re-add that bug?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

"Click the stick to sneak" is standard for a lot of non-Fromsoft games, especially open world games, which is why I think they did that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

"Click the stick to sneak" is standard for a lot of non-Fromsoft games, especially open world games, which is why I think they did that.

Ghost of Tsushima was one I looked up while trying to figure out which game that reminded me of - it uses L3 to run and R3 to crouch, which makes way more sense to me and is much less disruptive in tense scenes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I would simply design a game with better controls

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Waste of Breath posted:

I'm wondering what's wrong with me because clicking sticks in on a controller is one of the most deeply unpleasant sensations and I can't imagine doing it by accident.
If you move the analog stick in any direction too hard it's easy to depress it a little in the process, or just by being tense in general.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I don't remember what game it is but I can recall an experience of trying to run but instead looking through my scope again and again.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sininu posted:

I know there's a mod that basically puts that bug into Fallout 4.

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008

kazil posted:

IIRC that boss fight also had a pop-up message about dodging attacks which was pretty much the wrong way to do the fight

:actually:
The dodge attack is really good against Lady Butterfly. If you do it quickly enough you can basically stun-lock her the whole time. But it feels like cheese, even if the game just told you to do it. Although I feel perfectly justified using whatever means to win in a Fromsoft game.

I'm currently doing NG+. Sekiro is great.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

SLOSifl posted:

If you move the analog stick in any direction too hard it's easy to depress it a little in the process, or just by being tense in general.

Very fond memories of playing track mania with friends and hearing someone honk while going around a turn for the same reason.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Aren't trackmania inputs all on/off rather than analog? I seem to recall that being a thing.

Trackmania got worse once it became All Stadium All The Time. Bay/coast/island from sunrise were so good

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I loved Trackmania, the first one. Then over the years there's been just like a dozen iterations of it. I wanted to get back into it a while ago but felt kind of overwhelmed. Is there now a sort of GaaS version?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Waste of Breath posted:

"I panic during From Software boss fights" is the best way I can explain it.

L3 is standard for crouching, yes, and usually not a problem but when poo poo gets intense, I just push every button HARDER because I am a bit of a nut and don't want to die.

Again.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 01:09 on Mar 16, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sininu posted:

There's got to be by now, I know there was a cheat engine table that did more or less the same thing for a while but it was prone to crashing your game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Waste of Breath posted:

You're not alone. It makes me feel like I'm actively loving up the sticks, regardless of the truth.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I forgot about that first thing, one of the downsides to playing on PC and having to fiddle with steam audio if I want to listen to something else on the side. Also, I didn't get to the game for a few years after it came out, so I can only dream of the glory days of grenade silencers :sigh:

The silenced grenade was from Payday 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

The silenced grenade was from Payday 2.

I've been misinformed about that thing for almost a decade now :negative: