Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

This. If you're going to continue watching, the B5 blind watch thread will be overjoyed to have your impressions of it, whether that means detailed reviews of each episode or just vague thoughts now and then.

Starting about a year and a half ago, I did my own blind watch reviews and I'm very glad I did. Yes, on paper, the show seems like dollar-store DS9 but I assure you, it immediately goes its own way and it soon gets really really good.

e: The settings also have a slight difference of scale.

To be fair, Spacedock is similar in scale to Babylon 5, and if Spackdock isn't hollow, would be much larger in terms of population capacity. DS9 as a station was always actually meant to be relatively small and backwater. (Although so was Babylon 5, it was kinda strange we never really saw other stations at similar or larger scale. They should've recoloured and reused the Babylon 4 model as a station in orbit of Earth or something)

Then again I've always subscribed to Spacedock being hollow and mainly a, well, spacedock.

I do love a giant orbital habitat, though. Fuckin' love Starbase Yorktown.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

To be fair, the show is really bad at showing scale. We only get a handful of shots that show its a full fledged O'Neil Cylinder.

It took me a very long time to realise the 'painting' on the back wall of all the offices was meant to be a view out over the interior of the station and not just a painting.

It's kinda weird that there hasn't been that much art of the interior in the years since by fans that I can find, but maybe I'm just spoiled by Star Trek's fanbase.

Fun fact: they got a decent way into building a miniature for the interior because they didn't think they could pull it off in computer, but had to abandon it because $$$.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, Spacedock is similar in scale to Babylon 5, and if Spackdock isn't hollow, would be much larger in terms of population capacity. DS9 as a station was always actually meant to be relatively small and backwater. (Although so was Babylon 5, it was kinda strange we never really saw other stations at similar or larger scale. They should've recoloured and reused the Babylon 4 model as a station in orbit of Earth or something)

Babylon 5 can both be a massive orbital habitat by B5 galactic standards, and a backwater all at once. It's only got, what, a quarter-million people in it?

My read is that large-scale orbital habitats simply aren't common in the B5 setting; most stuff is done either planetside, or in orbit around an inhabited planet. Babylon 5's a special case because it's meant to be neutral-ish* territory that happens to be relatively equidistant to more important locations. I think one or two of the early Babylon station attempts weren't even sabotaged, it just simply failed (I think "collapsed" is the term they used), and this makes sense to me if nobody's really bothered to build something that big before.

*yes, the station and surrounding sector are EA territory, but it doesn't appear that there's really anything that happens around there that isn't the station itself

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

IShallRiseAgain posted:

To be fair, the show is really bad at showing scale. We only get a handful of shots that show its a full fledged O'Neil Cylinder.

I feel like a big part of this (and other scale issues, the Omegas just don't feel nearly as big to me as they allegedly are) is texture quality, which of course is largely a function of the memory available to their rendering computers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, it still didn't feel that big in Lost Tales. But one big thing that the lower detail and texture quality stops you on is it limits how close you can get, which means you can't easily do shots from near the surface with lenses that deliberately emphasise scale. (When they did do closeup shots I believe they tended to only be showing a smaller more detailed sub-area model).

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

cenotaph posted:

I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed Babylon 5 when I finally watched it a few years ago. When I was watching it I was kind of dreading that it was going to be a childish good vs evil conflict and I was happy that it wasn't. I thought some of it dragged a bit, but that was mostly season one, iirc.

I started a rewatch a few years back and burned/chickened out a little in season 4, cause it's 25 episodes a season and unlike Trek, I don't really feel like you can skip episodes, it feels like each episode pushes the story a little. Still really good though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

All this talk puts me in a mood of "We really need a sci-fi show set on an O'Neil Cylinder."

The stories you could tell on a setting like this are endless, and we have the vfx tech to pull it off realistically.

Of course in the era of "Modern TV" it would have to have some gimmick or overarching plot to the point where the setting became meaningless background. It would be daring in it's own way though to have a show that was just wide eyed optimism and futurism of "humans living in space" and have their travails and adaptations ne the focus of the plot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Set it on an O'Neill colony ship, you can have plenty of Prestige TV drama just from the challenges such a setting would provide and the exploration of the society.

(Salty the Expanse stopped showing us the inside of Medina station, IIRC in the books they eventually fill out dirt and get the originally intended plants and stuff inside going after it becomes a static station instead of a colony ship. before it gets blipped out of existence by angry aliens)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 13, 2023

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

BTW Michelle Yeoh got an Oscar for the Best Actress last night, so if the Section 31 series with her wasn't dead before, its definitely dead by now.

So this leaves us only with the starfleet academy show for future after Picard and DISCO goes away?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Worf Show when, Coward Paramount?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Astroman posted:

All this talk puts me in a mood of "We really need a sci-fi show set on an O'Neil Cylinder."

The stories you could tell on a setting like this are endless, and we have the vfx tech to pull it off realistically.

Of course in the era of "Modern TV" it would have to have some gimmick or overarching plot to the point where the setting became meaningless background. It would be daring in it's own way though to have a show that was just wide eyed optimism and futurism of "humans living in space" and have their travails and adaptations ne the focus of the plot.

I just want a proper, big screen version of Rendezvous With Rama that captures the absolute "holy poo poo!" feeling that the book did - but I feel the time for a film like that has passed. There's no way it would work with a modern audience and would need some bullshit drama inserted into the story because wide eyed wonder isn't enough for a film.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dog_Meat posted:

and would need some bullshit drama inserted into the story

Rama sequels!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I love space habs of all sizes but I would love a show depicting something on a scale achievable with real technology to do rotating settlements more often in general. I loved The Expanse but I felt they never really pushed it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, in civilian terms space in the Expanse was the slums, so there wasn't much in terms of neat habitats. Book spoilers: The nicer stuff would've come after the 20 year time jump between books six and seven, with the belters gaining political power as the transport union and building the Void Cities, which were large scale mobile rotating habitats with hundreds of thousands of residents. Although even with those we barely saw them, since Laconia cruised in and took the action away from the old Sol powers.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 13, 2023

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Astroman posted:

Can't help thinking that's small enough in radius (based on the scale of the buildings) that the coreolis effect would mess with your balance something fierce. You think you're standing on a flat surface, but the radial movement would make it feel as if you're tipping in the opposite direction to the cylinder's rotation. All the buildings would have to be 'stepped' to compensate, and good luck getting an audience to understand why it looks that way without all but delivering exposition to camera...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We believe that the minimum diameter for full comfort at 1G of spin gravity, totally eliminating corolis-induced issues from the effect's gradient, is about 400-450m or so, but that drops a fair bit if you're willing to go with somewhat lower gravities or possibly stomach moderate discomfort to get used to. We're not sure, though, either in terms of being certain about the numbers or if we can get used to it at smaller sizes.

It's likely if we do ever build rotating gravity stations or craft our early ones will be dumbells and not rings, in order to get the necessary diameters.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 13, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Astroman posted:

*Another one

(They didn't show this kind of shot much because I imagine they wanted CGI time to be stuff that was necessary rather than just background detail)

Dog_Meat posted:

I just want a proper, big screen version of Rendezvous With Rama that captures the absolute "holy poo poo!" feeling that the book did - but I feel the time for a film like that has passed. There's no way it would work with a modern audience and would need some bullshit drama inserted into the story because wide eyed wonder isn't enough for a film.

Denis Villeneuve is attached to direct one, which is probably the best chance of something like that we're going to get for the foreseeable

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Rama sequels!

I completely forgot that I read about half of the sequel and bailed out hard for that very reason. Christ, it was bad. Was it really Arthur C Clarke co-writing with some hack? Or did they just stick his name on it for legitimacy?

(sorry - derailing - ignore me)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Probably the best glossy O'Neill cylinder imagery you're going to get is in the Gundam shows, although in a lot of cases those were just... landscapes, the way the shots were framed. Which makes sense, of course, with a big enough cylinder. This does mean that if they actually make a live-action Netflix Gundam or something, they might actually do the cylinder shots.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dog_Meat posted:

I completely forgot that I read about half of the sequel and bailed out hard for that very reason. Christ, it was bad. Was it really Arthur C Clarke co-writing with some hack? Or did they just stick his name on it for legitimacy?

I wouldn't call Gentry Lee a hack--the man has done incredible work in the field of spaceflight (particularly Mars missions) and is a senior director at JPL--but, yes, he wrote the Rama sequels and Clarke just put his name on them to boost sales.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think one of the places where B5 really shines is in being willing to constantly show that the station is packed full of people with lots of crowd scenes full of extras in elaborate alien prosthetics. It definitely feels a lot bigger than DS9.

Astroman posted:

This is one of those things where the Gundam series is Actually one of the most "realistic" sci-fi franchises out there, since they incorporate a lot of the old speculative ideas about living in space, no artificial gravity, just spinning colonies. On spaceships you often would see people floating by or needing the assistance of a little handle thing to help them scoot through hallways.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think one of the places where B5 really shines is in being willing to constantly show that the station is packed full of people with lots of crowd scenes full of extras in elaborate alien prosthetics. It definitely feels a lot bigger than DS9.

It does, and four episodes in it seems like Sinclair/Garibaldi are less in control of the underworld elements in B5 (e.g: the insectoid black market dealer that's popped up a couple of times) than Sisko. I actually kind of like that, because it makes for even more of an interesting atmosphere than DS9.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

WFM seems to be set in centrifuge rings mounted on asteroids, though they haven't gone into the details much. I always wondered, how do you get in and out of such things? I guess you can build the structure so there's a hub with access ways, and then just make it so anything docking with the hub has to match rotation.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

This is one of those things where the Gundam series is Actually one of the most "realistic" sci-fi franchises out there, since they incorporate a lot of the old speculative ideas about living in space, no artificial gravity, just spinning colonies. On spaceships you often would see people floating by or needing the assistance of a little handle thing to help them scoot through hallways.

At some points UC Gundam does hew pretty closely to the old "introduce one or two new technologies and see how the world changes" SF aesthetic, it's just that those two technologies - the Minovski Particle and Newtypeism - are heavily massaged to make space combat in giant human-shaped vehicles an attractive proposition

I think other Gundam series did the other two High Frontier station types at some point, but Universal Century was always about the O'Neills. Even when they were being converted into staggeringly huge laser chambers or dropped on Australia.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really haven't kept up on all the iterations of Gundam, but also it was hard to find shots of Gundam space colonies with visible Gundams inside. Space colonies are just too drat big.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It does, and four episodes in it seems like Sinclair/Garibaldi are less in control of the underworld elements in B5 (e.g: the insectoid black market dealer that's popped up a couple of times) than Sisko. I actually kind of like that, because it makes for even more of an interesting atmosphere than DS9.

Yeah B5 has a very extensive underworld. There's people who came to the station and just hit hard times, and there's people who came to the station looking to score. On DS9 it feels like it's just Quark.

Nobody's on DS9 who doesn't want to be, and even though Bajor is explicitly outside the Federation and going through hard times trying to recover from Cardassian occupation, something like Brown Sector is too distopian to exist in Star Trek.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Phy posted:

At some points UC Gundam does hew pretty closely to the old "introduce one or two new technologies and see how the world changes" SF aesthetic, it's just that those two technologies - the Minovski Particle and Newtypeism - are heavily massaged to make space combat in giant human-shaped vehicles an attractive proposition

I think other Gundam series did the other two High Frontier station types at some point, but Universal Century was always about the O'Neills. Even when they were being converted into staggeringly huge laser chambers or dropped on Australia.
G Gundam had, shall we say, colonies comparable to Yorktown. Some of the sphere/torus type colonies show up in UC Gundam but they're usually kind of relics - "we built this so we'd have somewhere to live while building the REAL poo poo."

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah B5 has a very extensive underworld. There's people who came to the station and just hit hard times, and there's people who came to the station looking to score. On DS9 it feels like it's just Quark.
It sounds like DS9 had a permanent population in the hundreds, at best, which made it more like a literal Western outpost town even if there's the nearby much larger (if not very affluent) Bajoran landscape. So it does make sense that Quark would be the permanent sleazebag fixture, just because there wouldn't be room for a number of them - and Sisko's whole play was that Quark would make the crime manageable and monitorable.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I watched Civil Defense yesterday and Dukat said something like "are you willing to sacrifice the lives of 2,000 people" rather than grant a Cardassian garrison on DS9.

Also is Civil Defense a comedy episode?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dukat is very funny so yes

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Civil Defense is imo in the same vein as TNG’s Disaster. That is, they are both hilarious.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I can't even unicycle normally and Gates McFadden is there doing it in heels and stirrup pants. That's some King poo poo

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

She was the director of choreography for Labyrinth and Muppets take Manhattan, she is indeed cool as poo poo

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

zoux posted:

I watched Civil Defense yesterday and Dukat said something like "are you willing to sacrifice the lives of 2,000 people" rather than grant a Cardassian garrison on DS9.

Also is Civil Defense a comedy episode?

It should be. The moment where Dukat tries to leave and the computer starts broadcasting the "I knew you were going to abandon your post like a bitch" message was pure Curb Your Enthusiasm gold.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
This is how she practiced for the Muppets. By unicycle.

e:

I'm looking for a woman who can choreograph Muppets and sing and dance and ride a unicycle in heels and stirrup pants.

The mayor: If she can balance the budget, I'll hire her!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I really haven't kept up on all the iterations of Gundam, but also it was hard to find shots of Gundam space colonies with visible Gundams inside. Space colonies are just too drat big.

Nobody's on DS9 who doesn't want to be, and even though Bajor is explicitly outside the Federation and going through hard times trying to recover from Cardassian occupation, something like Brown Sector is too distopian to exist in Star Trek.

The Federation pre and post-Dominion war is also several multipliers of ten ahead on the power curve against "beaten to the level of non-existence" Earthforce just a decade or so (?) prior to B5 taking place.

And everyone knows that the cool underworld is in Qo'noS, not anywhere where the feds run the show.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

And everyone knows that the cool underworld is in Qo'noS, not anywhere where the feds run the show.

Qo'noS has giant courtrooms just FULL of Klingons. They're not lawless, they have all sorts of laws!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Der Kyhe posted:

The Federation pre and post-Dominion war is also several multipliers of ten ahead on the power curve against "beaten to the level of non-existence" Earthforce just a decade or so (?) prior to B5 taking place.

I'm presuming that later on in the series we'll get some kind of explanation for why it was that the Mimbari suddenly pulled out and spared the human race.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

I'm presuming that later on in the series we'll get some kind of explanation for why it was that the Mimbari suddenly pulled out and spared the human race.

in general when JMS sets something up he will pay it off even if it takes a few seasons

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

You most definitely will. And its a wild ride when it hits you and you get the full implications of what just happened.

EDIT: If you are first watching B5, just do as told by this thread and do not watch the In the Beginning tv-movie before you are done with S4. Follow the first airing dates like it was court-ordered decision.

JMS did the series in the exact order you should watch it, he actually wrote most if not all of it before the first episode was filming, and unlike some occasions, B5 actually needs you to follow the episode order also outside the main series.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 13, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Though costume quality sometimes suffered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

In the episode I watched this afternoon (1x04), the archaeology guy's assistant was wearing slacks with a belt that looked straight out of a 1994 JC Penney catalog. Being a Star Trek fan, though, I don't know how much room I have to talk about bad costuming.