Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Mirthless posted:

Happened in 2008 too, at thst time people were hedging losses by dumping speculative oil investments

Could be another indicator. I'm sure today wont be the day but a guy can hope

It is an indicator yes. When oil prices tank that means commodity trading think a slowdown or recession will happen. I've seen finance News blamed an eia report which said Russia is pumping more oil than ever, but that doesn't jive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Definitely watch pre-market First Republic as it's dropping like a rock. Or maybe it's open, I can never remember when the US market opens

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

SVB was $175billion. Credit Suisse is $700billion. Perspective if credit suisse actually collapsed.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

*chuckling in libertarian*

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Milosh posted:

Where should I put my money? If it all goes to hell.

Ammunition and a water purification chip?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Tom Keen saying the news flow reminds him of '08 lol

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Is this going to be another day that teases doom and blood in the morning and winds up with markets +/- .05% at close?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Orvin posted:

Is this going to be another day that teases doom and blood in the morning and winds up with markets +/- .05% at close?

Stop trying to be the first guy to be right and just enjoy the suspense!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Orvin posted:

Yeah, probably, it'll be fun until lunchtime & then people will jump in to buy the dip, & then it'll drop more overnight.

Still, fun is fun

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Orvin posted:

nah, chatgpt talked to the high frequency trading algorithms and they're gonna drive us off a cliff today

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

SVB was $175billion. Credit Suisse is $700billion. Perspective if credit suisse actually collapsed.

Credit Suisse is a Global Systemically Important Bank (G-SIB) and SVB was not

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

First Republic down 20%, Western Alliance down 13%, even the big ones like Goldman are down close 5%. A nice start.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joe Biden’s Bank Boondoggle

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

First Republic down 20%, Western Alliance down 13%, even the big ones like Goldman are down close 5%. A nice start.

all time highs by end of day

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Orvin posted:

That does make me think of an odd pattern I've noticed lately. Most of the actual price movement in the market now seems to happen overnight between close and open.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

all time highs by end of day

So buy the dip then

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Cool Bloomberg is now having a segment about how the fed has to pause because the banks, who are strong and stable, are frightened.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/financialjuice/status/1635994028515766272

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

dead republic

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

buy that DIP

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, probably, it'll be fun until lunchtime & then people will jump in to buy the dip, & then it'll drop more overnight.

Still, fun is fun

Ahh, so the banks drop in the morning. The retail rubes panic and sell. The big institutional money comes in and buys low and the price starts to recover. So the retail rubes pile back in on the upswing. Rinse and repeat for a few days.

Gotcha

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

your all going to jinx it

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

HallelujahLee posted:

dead republic

Why are you talking about the United States?!?!?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

Why are you talking about the United States?!?!?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

We heroically achieved non-zero interest rates for several months, time to go back.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Orvin posted:

Ahh, so the banks drop in the morning. The retail rubes panic and sell. The big institutional money comes in and buys low and the price starts to recover. So the retail rubes pile back in on the upswing. Rinse and repeat for a few days.

Gotcha

So long as the overall trend continues down, I'm content

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nonsense posted:

it’s time to admit Joe Biden is an extraordinarily talented banker

He's bringing the immense talent he's shown in keeping his family alive to the economy.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Spoondick posted:

nah, chatgpt talked to the high frequency trading algorithms and they're gonna drive us off a cliff today

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

He's bringing the immense talent he's shown in keeping his family alive to the economy.

god drat

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

triple sulk posted:

number dead?

it is finally done. our long watch is ended.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

BLOOD

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Subvisual Haze posted:

We heroically achieved non-zero interest rates for several months, time to go back.

we may live to see the Dow hit 100,000 on the same day CPI numbers show 50% yoy inflation

well, some of us may live. :shrug:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Credit Suisse Group AG market cap is ~7.3 billion now that it’s down 25% today

market cap is baaaasically what SVB was the day its throat got slit (6.3 billion or so)

lmao at being GLOBALLY SYSTEMATICALLY IMPORTANT and also on the dollar menu

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Larry Fink
Bob Diamond
Joe Gentile
Sam Bankman

Gustavo Burger
https://twitter.com/ibogost/status/1636001078532620289

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

coelomate posted:

Credit Suisse Group AG market cap is ~7.3 billion now that it’s down 25% today

market cap is baaaasically what SVB was the day its throat got slit (6.3 billion or so)

lmao at being GLOBALLY SYSTEMATICALLY IMPORTANT and also on the dollar menu

I’m lovin’ it

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:pray:

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Holy f**k that economy of yours is absurd

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Don’t be born with the name for the job you have. Be born with the name for the job you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
so far chatgpt has predicted feb 15 and march 15. I wonder if next month it'll predict april 15