Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Discussion of number should be limited to high priests who speak the tongue of Economics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
These texts were never intended by Number to be translated from Bloomberg into Reddit!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

That is not a good sign

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

now we all have to join the cult of number

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

How long until the FCC contacts Jeffrey

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Not So Fast posted:

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

cool i'm sure this'll fix the problem

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Mr Hootington posted:

That is not a good sign

Correct. It's a great sign!

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Not So Fast posted:

won't happen until well after they've blackbagged half the membership of a few subreddits

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Why even make this phone call? Everyone is exposed to Credit Suisse lmao

Imagining the substance of this conversation as a dude just blubbering into the phone and begging the other person to tell him this isnt real and somehow he's not about to get rolled by the biggest bank failure in world history

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Mirthless posted:

Why even make this phone call? Everyone is exposed to Credit Suisse lmao

Imagining the substance of this conversation as a dude just blubbering into the phone and begging the other person to tell him this isnt real and somehow he's not about to get rolled by the biggest bank failure in world history

Maybe they need hard numbers on the extent of the exposure.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
i think all of these banks making GBS threads themselves to death is probably a bad sign!!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

Maybe they need hard numbers on the extent of the exposure.

the numbers are very hard

Doomtalker
Dec 10, 2019

punished milkman posted:

i think all of these banks making GBS threads themselves to death is probably a bad sign!!

I know, it's great

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

zetamind2000 posted:

Lol chatgpt was right

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

punished milkman posted:

Actually it's very very good. Unfortunately, as is traditional, there will be zero consequences and that's bad.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Memories: 3 years ago today

https://twitter.com/TickerHistory/status/1636011632106127360

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

so who bails out international banks

is it still us?

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022

Buffer posted:

hold Elon or anyone like him accountable to the laws as written?
Thiel for instigating a bank run?
No! only the unlanded may suffer - impose a censorship regime on the poors

if we jail thiel, who will we contract to prevent all the disinformation on social networks??

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

the canary in the gold mine

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

From an off-the-record interview with a FDIC aide about the BTFP:

quote:

'That's not the way the world really works anymore,' he continued. 'We're an empire now, and when we act, we create a new deposit insurance program. And while you're studying that program—judiciously, as you will—we'll act again, creating other new insurance programs, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors...and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do'.[2]

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

SVB was $175billion. Credit Suisse is $700billion. Perspective if credit suisse actually collapsed.

:stonklol: chat gpt was right

god drat this poo poo is going fast.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 15:42 on Mar 15, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lol:

quote:

Newsom also recently came under fire in the California press for allegedly abusing what are called behested payments: donations requested by politicians for any “legislative, governmental or charitable purpose.” Though California law stringently regulates campaign contributions and gifts to elected officials, there are no limits on behested payments like the $100,000 donation that Newsom requested from SVB for his wife’s charity. Last year, Newsom reported at least $23.7 million in payments to such groups at his behest.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

is it still us?

BIS, the other G-SIBs, and the Bank's National Bank I think? A G-SIB has never gone under, and I don't think they'll be allowed to.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

The hill of the Market represents higher spiritual ground, which brings us closer to Number. ... No false words besmirch his or her reputation. - SEC 24:2

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Credit Pisse

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

this is must be a putler or chud conspiracy to destroy buchanon joe

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
credit bussy

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
lol gm

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

HallelujahLee posted:

this is must be a putler or chud conspiracy to destroy buchanon joe

China was clearly involved as well

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

And yet gas prices haven’t fallen at all, $4.50 where I live.

Almost like it’s a scam

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

is it still us?

Everyone

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

10-2 yield spread trying to get positive again also probably a good sign that it's not too far off now tbh

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

The FDIC has an interest in keeping SVB open as a going concern, so that it’s more attractive to a potential buyer and they can ultimately offload it, even if it’s for a nominal dollar. If the FDIC instead has to keep the lights on for years until the last deposit is withdrawn while stripping out all the copper wire to pay depositors and creditors that costs way more money :shrug:

Stutes has issued a correction as of 15:51 on Mar 15, 2023

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

HallelujahLee posted:

insert baghdad bob image

I read an article a while ago about how when everything collapses we'll get "everything is ok messages" and nobody will know the true extent until they look around and all the leadership and rich people have disappeared. I want to say there's even a term for this (other than just Baghdad Bobbing) but I'm drawing a blank.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Glumwheels posted:

And yet gas prices haven’t fallen at all, $4.50 where I live.

Almost like it’s a scam

Gasoline is a refined oil product and isn't so directly tied to the price of oil

The scam is that you've been tricked into caring about the price of crude oil, a much easier to manipulate commodity

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

B
A
N
K

D
E
A
T
H

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Can we make this an official thread rule? All the goons trying to be smugly cynical are incredibly tiresome.

my guy this is the thread for goons so market-brained that economy = gdp + s&p price. stop tapping the glass and enjoy the content

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
T-mobile will be buying Mint mobile for $1.35 billion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

this says over 90% of SVB’s depositors had over 250k?????? what?????