Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

lol those banks that recovered some of their stock yesterday are all back down to their lows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

lol cnbc

"down today but higher than monday"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
NOT SO NEUTRAL NOW ARE YA

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Crazypoops posted:

Bunch of dipshit failsons hyped themselves into a complete collapse of the global economy

I didn't know we had that sort of power

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I get that banks are all to some level interconnected, but what is the risk from Credit Suisse to the US and it’s banks? Just the fact that some US rich people have money there and will be grumpy it failed and they might have to wait a couple of days to fondle their 1s and 0s the reflect their off shore money?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://twitter.com/Schuldensuehner/status/1635994065471668225

lmfao

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
didnt we find db was funding isis during the obama era and obama didnt do anything about it

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Logan's Bank Run

Watersuisse Down

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Someone hasn't been following ChatGPT predictions.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Suisseical the musical

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Orvin posted:

I get that banks are all to some level interconnected, but what is the risk from Credit Suisse to the US and it’s banks? Just the fact that some US rich people have money there and will be grumpy it failed and they might have to wait a couple of days to fondle their 1s and 0s the reflect their off shore money?

You know how SVB collapsed even though it had like 95% of assets to its deposits? If they just straight up sold all its assets the depositors would've gotten at worst a 5% haircut. It took only a relatively small bank run for SVB to trigger insolvency.

For banks, tugging on a thread even if it's a small one can lead to cascading effects because now they have to do all sorts of finance wizardry to be able to meet obligations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7eT_Ha2Iq4

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

the bank with holes in its leading operations was called Credit Swiss

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Orvin posted:

Depends on who is holding derivatives related to the status of Credit Suisse. If you sold a bunch of credit default swap to someone else obligating you to pay up if CS defaults…

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Anyway audit the Fed and abolish fractional reserve banking.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

RealityWarCriminal posted:

the bank with holes in its leading operations was called Credit Swiss

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Suissetime for Hitler

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
So just to clarify, there's still no detailed information on the "material weaknesses" CS reported, right? Everything that's happening right now is essentially self-reinforcing panic that this might be the big one?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

SKULL.GIF posted:

Anyway audit the Fed and abolish fractional reserve banking.

vote ron paul

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

what have you missed? oh i'd say about 15 years

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
if you have some time to kill this Mark Blyth talk gets into banking failures a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuHSQXxsjM

Probably more and more relevant as we go.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MktsInsider/sta...ingawful.com%2F

Lmao

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Obama drink the Suisse

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Paradoxish posted:

So just to clarify, there's still no detailed information on the "material weaknesses" CS reported, right? Everything that's happening right now is essentially self-reinforcing panic that this might be the big one?

Yes

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the assad curse has struck the financial system

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

would be funny if all the startups still died after being bailed out

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Die Schweiz, die

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there is infinite money at the federal reserve

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

triple sulk posted:

would be funny if all the startups still died after being bailed out

Because of the very public failure of SVB (along with the end of ZIRP) banks are gonna be a lot more careful lending money out to idiotic startups going forward, which is itself gonna dry up a lot of these startups.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
It's happening (again)

:munch:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Paradoxish posted:

That matches what I’ve read. It was enough to trigger doubt in the performance numbers they were giving, but not specific enough to help industry analysts give them the benefit of the doubt.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

You know how SVB collapsed even though it had like 95% of assets to its deposits? If they just straight up sold all its assets the depositors would've gotten at worst a 5% haircut. It took only a relatively small bank run for SVB to trigger insolvency.

For banks, tugging on a thread even if it's a small one can lead to cascading effects because now they have to do all sorts of finance wizardry to be able to meet obligations.

and every time they do a stress test they declare themselves really solid cause they have all these things they can do to weather a crisis but all those things are all "as is" tools and a crisis is itself a change from "as is"

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I didn't know we had that sort of power

Well I can only ruin my own life, no threat of contaigion.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

the material weakness is that its credit suisse

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Paradoxish posted:

DrPossum posted:

da red ink goes fasta

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

Because of the very public failure of SVB (along with the end of ZIRP) banks are gonna be a lot more careful lending money out to idiotic startups going forward, which is itself gonna dry up a lot of these startups.

for sure, and i should have said "instantly" die in the same vein as if svb wasn't bailed out

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

lmao if the chatgpt prediction for the 15th turns out to be (inadvertently and ironically) accurate due to dumb luck, but lol if I don't hoot n hollar for future predictions based off this

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Suisse Family Robinson

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vova wins again, Mr. Brandon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

SVB went down because Peter Thiel spread a rumor it has herpes