Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Jon Irenicus posted:

tomorrow I'm going to take some money out of a bank.

OFFICER I'D LIKE TO REPORT A CRIME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

hmmm this sounds familiar. I'm no ChatGPT, but isn't the pattern here:

* sale fails
* panic
* FDIC steel chair

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I trust Tik Tok with my data more than any other social media company. China at least isn’t as capable of actionable use of it on me as my own government is.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I mean I know it’s all just “AHHH CHINA” bullshit but I’m genuinely curious because I’d think this would be a huge legal battle if they did try it

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

incredibly desperate but dumb enough to work

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Jon Irenicus posted:

movies are complicated tax shelters and/or money from the Pentagon now

love the recent trend of lower budget movies having 15 producer id cards up front and still looking terrible

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Have they rung BoE to ask if have a spare quid and want a piece of the action?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

holefoods posted:

I mean I know it’s all just “AHHH CHINA” bullshit but I’m genuinely curious because I’d think this would be a huge legal battle if they did try it

they just wave the national security flag and all lawsuits vanish like magic

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Vox Nihili posted:

If those are long-term securities (they are) and you hit a relatively high interest rate, inflationary environment (such as today), the banks find themselves locked into a really bad deal. They're going to be paying more in interest to depositors than they're gaining on their garbage securities, and they can't unlock that value without taking a huge hit on selling them. I don't know if that kills the bank outright but I think they're supposed to be in the business of making money and accruing capital.

They can usually make up for that by being able to charge more interest on the loans they make (and any variable rate instruments they have issued in the past).

The real major problem comes if you have a ton of depositors who want all their money out at the same time and, like you pointed out, you have to sell the "garbage securities" at a heavy discount to get the money quickly enough.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

are any USA social media popular in China

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

holefoods posted:

If the US government comes up with even a semi-credible national security basis for a law then the courts, up through and including SCOTUS, almost always rubber stamp it. Been that way for centuries.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

euphronius posted:

pretty sure not, even their version of Tiktok is a different site and different content pool

The population of the US is becoming a real problem in relation to global buying power of people in other countries and I don't see why anyone would play ball with us in a situation like this anymore - there's just not that much to gain, especially when your national agenda is opposed to the US' in the first place

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

It's essentially all banned in China

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

euphronius posted:

I don't know. I believe Facebook, YouTube, Google, and Twitter, and Instagram are all banned in China

Raccooon posted:

I trust Tik Tok with my data more than any other social media company. China at least isn’t as capable of actionable use of it on me as my own government is.

Make sure you don't go to China. :)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Tony West, chief counsel for uber, is Kopmala's brother-in-law.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

that owns

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

wow China sounds amazing

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Oh no

Now London is going to be exactly as hosed as the rest of England

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

holefoods posted:

how could this even be enforced? just tell all the ISPs to block the traffic and make it disappear from app stores? is there even any legal precedent aside from “because we feel like it?”

kinda like how the u.s. government told the private sector to cut ties with russia. the state can exert a lot of power when it wants to.

err has issued a correction as of 02:04 on Mar 16, 2023

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Weibo sounds lovely.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

euphronius posted:

wow China sounds amazing

Right?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
its not a crime when the president does it

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1djGXlLwgNjGZ

Doomsday econ radio

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m pretty sure the current SC would say death camps are ok if a president said it was for national security

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

I’m pretty sure the current SC would say death camps are ok if a president said it was for national security

yeah prisons have been ok for a while

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Congrats to China for banning social media

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
very foolish of the fed to raise rates without checking if banks could handle them. what a boner. they will have no choice but to lower now.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
the rates they are too much too powerful

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

holefoods posted:

how could this even be enforced? just tell all the ISPs to block the traffic and make it disappear from app stores? is there even any legal precedent aside from “because we feel like it?”

It hasn't even been 100 hours since the Fed declared insolvency no longer a concept. I don't think precedent matters anymore.

holefoods posted:

Huge legal battle with who exactly? International law isn't exactly ironclad.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

euphronius posted:

Korematsu!

I mean, they said it was bad law now, but if I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you if you think the conservative majority wouldn't just apply the same kind of analysis again if this country had a big security panic again.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Think my favorite attack on tik tok was that the US version makes people stupid while the Chinese version has guidelines to at least direct users towards educational things. Ignoring that the US version of tik tok is just exactly what all other US social media does and makes Americans stupid.

China not using social media to make their citizens brain dead was seen as unfair or devious in some way.

Raccooon has issued a correction as of 02:14 on Mar 16, 2023

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

For big laughs, TikTok should buy another US social media company. FourSquare? Pinterest?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Bank buys chinese tik tok shares ===> goes under because of rate hikes ====> bought out by chinese bank.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

For big laughs, TikTok should buy another US social media company. FourSquare? Pinterest?

Wells Fargo

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

I feel like posters in this thread haven’t visited the hellworld that is Weibo

Chinese social media is bad and god they can be vicious

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Lokar posted:

I feel like posters in this thread haven’t visited the hellworld that is Weibo

Chinese social media is bad and god they can be vicious

how good are the memes

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Is it better or worse than facebook.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Do they do the I identify as an attack helicopter joke on Weibo?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Regardless of how you feel about social media, or the Chinese government, it's absolutely not Joe Brandon's place to tell us that we can't access certain social media sites because the fossils in congress still think we're in the middle of the Cold War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Raccooon posted:

Think my favorite attack on tik tok was that the US version makes people stupid while the Chinese version has guidelines to at least direct users towards educational things. Ignoring that the US version of tik tok is just exactly what all other US social media does and makes Americans stupid.

China not using social media to make their citizens brain dead was seen as unfair or devious in some way.

China wants to make sure video games don't make you gay.