Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011
This assumes independence, which is clearly not a good assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

webcams for christ posted:

https://twitter.com/spignal/status/1636242698595180545

lol everyone rediscovering this over and over again during crises

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1542245279801434120

Dazzo
Jun 22, 2006

Wasn’t the CEO of SVB on the board of the San Fran Federal Reserve?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Probably why there are some minor attempts at walking back the "everything everywhere insured all at once" line.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Joe Biden and the rules based international order

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO0VPkUMGZM

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Dazzo posted:

Wasn’t the CEO of SVB on the board of the San Fran Federal Reserve?

yes

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Webbeh posted:

amazing how they squandered a literal money printer

But the blacks!!!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Happy profits to all of you

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

looks like the home solar industry is taking a hit maybe in anticipation of interest rate hikes and tightening home lending from all the banks collapsing

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

webcams for christ posted:

https://twitter.com/spignal/status/1636242698595180545

lol everyone rediscovering this over and over again during crises

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Spoondick posted:

looks like the home solar industry is taking a hit maybe in anticipation of interest rate hikes and tightening home lending from all the banks collapsing

The home solar industry is absolutely filled with scammers pushing various financing schemes so this isn't surprising at all. Residential solar is similar to residential roofing in that it's a finance/sales industry first and a contracting industry second.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

The home solar industry is absolutely filled with scammers pushing various financing schemes so this isn't surprising at all. Residential solar is similar to residential roofing in that it's a finance/sales industry first and a contracting industry second.

Yeah I looked into one of those no cost solar installation services once and it turns out the way it works is you sign over all the tax benefits you get to the company in perpetuity.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

it's funny that they're threatening tiktok after the revelations of the twitter files as the threat of tiktok is obviously more free speech.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

The US means to keep its word when it comes to the world financial order but it’s going through some poo poo right now and would appreciate some understanding

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Not really feeling like a blood day today, probably because Biden wouldn't want anything bad to ruin St Paddy's day.

Total media blackout for France, I take?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Father Wendigo posted:

Not really feeling like a blood day today, probably because Biden wouldn't want anything bad to ruin St Paddy's day.

opposition called the no-confidence vote

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Father Wendigo posted:

those kind of stories never see play in the western media

https://twitter.com/Mediavenir/status/1636690941078536192

#greve17mars means they're promoting a general strike

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

coelomate posted:

Do you think the WSJ still pays for design/art, or did they fire everyone and go straight to generative images to improve margins?

As far as I can tell the primary driver of AI generative art investment is businesses wanting to replace corporate art departments. Nobody is going to pay for this kind of art ever again once the technology gets to the appropriate baseline. It's bascially there now. I just dont see the point in hiring people to draw diverse throwaway cartoons of people eating salad when the AI can do an equally good job

Anything that requires actual creativity and thought will still be real hard for the AI to do, but poo poo like this? Literally what these things were made for

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Mirthless posted:

As far as I can tell the primary driver of AI generative art investment is businesses wanting to replace corporate art departments. Nobody is going to pay for this kind of art ever again once the technology gets to the appropriate baseline. It's bascially there now. I just dont see the point in hiring people to draw diverse throwaway cartoons of people eating salad when the AI can do an equally good job

Anything that requires actual creativity and thought will still be real hard for the AI to do, but poo poo like this? Literally what these things were made for

The problem is that trends in design tend to shift fairly rapidly and most of these companies actually do like to have recognizable and brandable styles. Generative art might be able to replicate the current look, but it'll struggle to produce anything new and then consistently follow through. I can maybe see graphic design roles shifting to be more about producing AI training data than final artwork, though, and honestly that seems a little more dystopian to me.

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

Lol, lmao

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

is pepsi ok posted:

Yeah I looked into one of those no cost solar installation services once and it turns out the way it works is you sign over all the tax benefits you get to the company in perpetuity.

I mean if that's all it is I'd probably be ok with that as long as I truly got no cost solar panels and the free juice that comes with em (especially if a battery is included)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Blood today!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Poco posted:

Lol, lmao

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

meanolmrcloud posted:

The one VC guy I know is taking the line that it isn’t a bailout and you are demanding the suffering of millions of workers if you insist it shouldn’t have happened.

the only good VC is a dead VC

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Calumanjaro posted:

This assumes independence, which is clearly not a good assumption.

Isn't there a physics thing where a system shakes itself apart by having increasingly large oscillations?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

love to do a little market manipulation in the morning

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

is it insider trading if he invests in that fund which bets against him?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

ArmZ posted:

the only good VC is a dead VC

VC numba one USA numba ten

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Frosted Flake posted:

Isn't there a physics thing where a system shakes itself apart by having increasingly large oscillations?

Blythe uses the physical phenomena of entrainment as an analogy.

His observation was that everyone in the financial industry tends to the same sort of volatility because there's personal risk associated with not doing so.

You don't want to be the one guy who lost money when everyone else made money, and you *really* don't want to be the one guy who made money while everyone else lost money. So in times of high volatility all associated firms tend to converge on a similar set of decisions and observations and that means they all exhibit similar periods/oscillations.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
A red day with bank stocks eating poo poo?

Has anyone told number about the infinite bailouts and printing?!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Just caught up and watched this. holy moly lmao

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Jel Shaker posted:

is it insider trading if he invests in that fund which bets against him?

Yes.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Red Baron posted:

remember the fundamentals are strong, and you can’t spell FUNdamental without f-u-n!

*without F uqq

E: lol what a typo

BrotherJayne has issued a correction as of 16:24 on Mar 17, 2023

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Bofas days are nimbered

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
JAY

JAY

JAYYYYYYYYYY

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

ben shapino posted:

Bofas days are nimbered

What happened to Bank of America?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ben shapino posted:

Bofas days are nimbered

Charles Schwab is gonna pop before BofA. F uqq

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

schwabing for deez nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Justin Tyme posted:

I mean if that's all it is I'd probably be ok with that as long as I truly got no cost solar panels and the free juice that comes with em (especially if a battery is included)

that’s definitely not how it works with the scam panel leases. those systems are always direct grid tie, and generally dont even give you the ability to disconnect from the grid during an outage to make use of the power.