Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

This article ends with calling the youngs ungrateful and says that they should spend more money on the boomers.

:colbert: and?

(this was my original greedy geezers link but sometimes it's paywalled)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Orvin posted:

Why would anyone want to acquire Credit Suisse? Seems like that bank is continuously on the brink of failure. Is this a offer a snickers for the shares scenario, to get at the underlying assets?

Why would an out side entity want in on CS? Is it just to gain a foothold in Switzerland? Or do they think they get access to the maps where the “Lost Gold” is buried?

I imagine their financial records alone are worth far more than the bank.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

I wonder if he really did fly in the banker CEOs the other day.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1637219392848117760

oh yay, another lich to add to the pile running the country. Also the once plurality shareholder of wells fargo & some union-busting railroads.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

anime was right posted:

hahaha gently caress thats like 650 more than what i pay for a shack in toronto

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

An awful opinion piece

It is a decade later and social security won't be there because old people want it destroyed for young people.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Radirot posted:

living in the ghetto aint no joke. definitely an exciting time all around if you're into it I guess.

story time from my last apartment

one time i saved a woman from her abusive boyfriend. i was watching tv with the spouse real late when we hear screaming for help down the hall. opening the door the first thing i see is her face covered in blood and then we let her inside as the police show up. that wasn't the only we did that for someone there either.

there was also the time someone was murdered in the parking lot. the murderer is still loose since the cops arrested the wrong guy, go figure.

sadly we had to leave since some crazy fucks were threatening to kill us and the cops wouldn't do jack poo poo.

dang. keeps you sharp.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
lol social security ain't going anywhere

even trump understood that touching it would be political suicide

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

It is a decade later and social security won't be there because capital wants it destroyed for young people.

fixed

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
capital doesn’t really seem to care too much about social security. abolishing it is the project of conservatives, mostly elderly ones still fighting against the ghost of fdr

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, why the gently caress would capital care about social security, that doesn't even make sense

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Don't think I saw this here yet

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1637233605947834368

lmao

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

triple sulk posted:

philly rules but what they don't mention is that's at 10th and chestnut and you will likely be robbed and/or stabbed by a meth addict if you walk around by yourself any time after dark. it's not a safe neighborhood.

not really joking either. someone was stabbed to death one or two blocks up and over in broad daylight a month or two ago

I just looked up this intersection on google and there's an au bon pain, a farmer's market and a Bank of America on this intersection

a real hive of scum and villainy to be sure

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 00:33 on Mar 19, 2023

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AqKid6HLCk

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
if olds have social security they can be better consumer later

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

That letter from midsize banks is 100% correct that Yellin's statements have potentially created a huge banking crisis.

Not for the people that matter!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

homeless people existing, restaurant workers taking their breaks, panhandlers being where the rich people are

edit: these "streets of..." videos never cease to fuckin amaze me, like people have never been in the actual city part of a city before so they've gotta whip out their phone and record such shocking scenes of urban decay as... a group of black people in street clothes, walking. People in coats... smoking!!

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 00:42 on Mar 19, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

if olds have social security they can be better consumer later

Yep, same principle with UBI (and the berniebux).

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

yeah, why the gently caress would capital care about social security, that doesn't even make sense

Capital has diverted pensions into private retirement accounts but also has fought equitable taxation that would fund social programs. Remember, social security was created to be a 3-legged stool, with pensions & savings rounding it out, and now we're down to it being a 2-legged stool.

Social security is also poverty-level income for olds with low-income earning records (mainly women and minorities); has not kept apace proportionately with the cost of medicare premiums, housing or food; has been punitively taxed for olds poor enough to need a fraction of benefits at age 62 instead of waiting till "normal" retirement age of 67; and is more regressively taxed than any other facet of our tax code bc a person making $20k/year pays a higher percentage toward social security than someone making $200k.

These are all due to decisions & moves by capital.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

looking up "homeless person hotspots [my zipcode]" and setting up my steady cam rig so I can slowly drive through the neighborhood recording people's misery for hits

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

yeah i've noticed this is a thing, a kind of version of normalcy bias

i call it the near miss fallacy. if a disaster is narrowly averted multiple times people will assume there's no threat but in such a situation it is very likely the disaster will keep coming and eventually can't be avoided

This is why the liberals are always clamoring for war with a major world power. They think it will go exactly how WW2 and the cold war went. None of them understand how different the world is today compared to 30 years ago.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joe Biden is a fool for signing a blank check to the banks and now all of Washington will be dealing with patriots on Tuesday!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Paradoxish posted:

The entire SVB response was predicated on a bunch of idiots working themselves up into a very public tantrum close enough to a weekend that no one could calm them down, and the result was for regulators to start babbling about infinite money and unlimited deposit insurance. It was so bad and stupid that European regulators started making statements that sounded like posts pulled from this thread.

Except those Euro bankers were complaining about how the US should not have complained about the Euros bailing out whoever they wanted, not that the bailouts were the wrong thing to do.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Capital cares about social security, it's money they don't have!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the biggest takeaway about the SVB response imo is the government still moves quickly when it wants to
lol posters itt were convinced that there wasn't anything that could be done over a weekend to resolve the issue

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Capital cares about social security, it's money they don't have!

Remember when Republicans tried privatizing social security but backed down when they realized that it would lead to the government owning the stock market?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Nonsense posted:

Joe Biden is a fool for signing a blank check to the banks and now all of Washington will be dealing with patriots on Tuesday!

inshallah

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

anime was right posted:

theres no other reason to fly in several private jets into omaha

like if it were one or two, whatever. but it sounds like a ton of .01%ers met warren buffet. bankers or otherwise.

No reason to do it anyway with modern video teleconferencing software. These are literally the kind of people who should be appearing as shadowy silhouettes on monitors in the meeting room.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

This article ends with calling the youngs ungrateful and says that they should spend more money on the boomers.

lol

quote:

But the last thing we need is another heated confrontation and a new line of social division. Instead, children and grandchildren should draft thank you notes to their elders for saving so much and leaving trillions behind.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I said boomers, thank you for your service.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

do you have to be old money to get a job as a columnist writing about how everyone needs to eat your rear end or is prior professional experience enough?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Spoondick posted:

do you have to be old money to get a job as a columnist writing about how everyone needs to eat your rear end or is prior professional experience enough?
Matty was a nobody.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Cpt_Obvious posted:

This is why the liberals are always clamoring for war with a major world power. They think it will go exactly how WW2 and the cold war went. None of them understand how different the world is today compared to 30 years ago.

yeah that's a great example that i hadn't really thought of before in this context

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Matty was a nobody.

Nope. His dad used his connections to get Matty setup

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Famous Philadelphian Ben Franklin invented the switchblade and murdered his son and paid a doppelganger to leave to England.

classic Philly move

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

the day the last boomer dies should be a global day of celebration

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Can someone explain that thing where JP Morgan personally called all the bankers together to save the economy at the turn of the last century?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

fits my needs posted:

But the last thing we need is another heated confrontation and a new line of social division. Instead, children and grandchildren should draft thank you notes their elders for saving so much and leaving trillions behind. into the next american war

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

Can someone explain that thing where JP Morgan personally called all the bankers together to save the economy at the turn of the last century?

the important thing about it is that the depression still happened eventually anyway.

he locked all the bankers in a room and told them they weren’t leaving until they fixed what was wrong.

Bar Ran Dun has issued a correction as of 02:14 on Mar 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Fed’s got a lesson plan on it lol

https://www.stlouisfed.org/-/media/project/frbstl/stlouisfed/education/lessons/pdf/the-panic-of-1907-jp-morgan-and-the-money-trust.pdf