Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Gonna be real here, I still love dogs and video game dog buddies, but I'm over dogs just getting put into games to score some easy points.

Like when Capcom had that huge hack and one of stated design goals of the Palamutes listed that "can you pet the dog?" twitter account.

Fortunately Capcom has corrected their mistake with the RE4 remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Clarste posted:

How does respeccing work in the sequel?

There's a handy NPC that will let you do it. Big caveat. You can't respec anybody below the level you got them at. This is a problem because A: there are too many goddamn archer NPCs and B: A few characters have extremely bad roleplay builds. Luckily there are mods for that and they're easy to install/use.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
there's a pic floating around with smt 4, 4a and 5 with consoles and steam logos on it, is atlus finally doing it?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I haven't heard any announcements, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were porting them to Steam, and probably PlayStation 4/5 and Switch for 4/4A.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the pic in question

it would rule to play smt4 on the deck but especially 5 on a system that didn't chug half of the time

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Honest Thief posted:

the pic in question

it would rule to play smt4 on the deck but especially 5 on a system that didn't chug half of the time

I feel like if this was real they probably would make sure the text on Nanashi wasn't flipped with his graphic

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
part of me feels like one wouldn't and just throw in a quick montage for a presentation

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah could go either way really lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fine, I'll buy another mainline SMT game like an idiot.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Barudak you should check out Mato Anomalies, I think it's your kind of jank.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Barudak you should check out Mato Anomalies, I think it's your kind of jank.

Ive been staring at it for a week, my fingers hovering over the buy button.

How did you know...?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

rean is being very charitable calling that 3d model well built

Orlando is extremely lean and muscular. I think anyone would consider that "well built"

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

every PSO2 urgent quest boss' theme shifts into playing the opening medley mixed in when the boss gets to like 15% HP and it's loving sick every time

the best version of this was in profound darkness when it kicks in as you get pulled in to solo duel Persona, who's your own character from a bleaker timeline that was traumatized and embraced becoming an aspect of Dark Falz, and it crescendos as you defeat them and return to the boss being stunned

PSO2 had some absurd but fun melodrama I really missed in NGS, NGS feels so lifeless in comparison

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 20, 2023

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Barudak posted:

Ive been staring at it for a week, my fingers hovering over the buy button.

How did you know...?

I've been playing it for a week.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What game is most like 13 Sentinels?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Story wise Horizon Zero Dawn, gameplay wise uh nothing comes to mind.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Utawarerumono is a completely different setting but does fit the "VN/tactical game" mold. Arguably, so does Tristrat though that's much more heavily on the SRPG side of things.

IIRC "tactics/VN" is an oddly popular subgenre so there's probably other recs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

I've been playing it for a week.

Let me finish Re4make and I'll hop on it.

Edit: I saw your party has a single healthbar and smashed that buy button.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 20, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I’m playing kingmaker now and am approaching the endgame I think, as a lover of time-management mechanics it’s been fun!
Although I believe I’m about to encounter an infamous written-by-a-kickstarter-backer quest about a super cool dude who does super cool things, I’m eager to see how it turns out.

The pathfinder system is not my fave for a bunch of reasons, much of it is unfriendly and overcomplicated, but this video game is imo excellent despite that

From a few pages back, I've been enjoying the game and I'm absolutely a card carrying member of the 'time management mechanics are fun' club but I just don't really enjoy the kingmaker kingdom stuff at all

I don't really get how it works I guess, apparently my citizens are concerned with my kingdom's economy but I'm not really sure why since it's slowly making money. I also just seem to stack up quests and I can't seem to find someone to fill one of the roles, and all the timed events take so long to complete that I completely forget about them.

It just doesn't really feel like it adds anything to the game I guess :shrug:

In totally other news, Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure has so far been a pretty cute game that I've been enjoying playing through with my SO. I appreciate that so far the stakes have just been pretty low, and while it's incredibly late 90s/early 2000s as you'd expect, it's late 90s/early 2000s in a very good way imo

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Beat Romancing SaGa 3. It's got more spectacle than RS2--one boss can be fought from atop a dragon--but I don't think its systems come together as well. Take LP: in RS2, it can only be restored via limited-quantity consumables, making permadeath a constant threat mediated only by regular party resets. In RS3, it's fully restored every time you visit an inn.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What game is most like 13 Sentinels?

It's combat is pretty much the combat from a PS1 game called Gunparade March, though sadly it's never gotten a translation.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I beat 13 Sentinels and was very embarrassed when I then went to the thread and found out that Meta-Chip Multiplier was actually insanely good and they basically maxed everyone out in like 4 battles.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Alard posted:

It's combat is pretty much the combat from a PS1 game called Gunparade March, though sadly it's never gotten a translation.

That's a bummer because the battles in the game I remember were so goddamn fun but it was honestly too easy

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Jay Rust posted:

I’m playing kingmaker now and am approaching the endgame I think, as a lover of time-management mechanics it’s been fun!
Although I believe I’m about to encounter an infamous written-by-a-kickstarter-backer quest about a super cool dude who does super cool things, I’m eager to see how it turns out.

The pathfinder system is not my fave for a bunch of reasons, much of it is unfriendly and overcomplicated, but this video game is imo excellent despite that

I presume you mean the Hell Knights quest. And if so, well, rejoice I guess. There's plenty of waste of time management left for you to enjoy. Personally, that's the point where I had it with the game and dropped it for a year or so before coming back to it refreshed to settle things for good. I enjoyed it a lot overall but found my enjoyment heavily front-loaded. Later game kingdom stuff became more of a chore than anything with the same faceless event cards just repeating over and over, and a couple of the late dungeons are a bit of a pain in terms of mob strength/density. But everything leading to the barony and the first couple acts after that was fantastic. And massive credits to the devs for the amazingly granular difficulty settings.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
man i didnt expect to start hating the monastery this early into three houses it's setting in for me how many more times i'm gonna have to do this poo poo

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

the best version of this was in profound darkness when it kicks in as you get pulled in to solo duel Persona, who's your own character from a bleaker timeline that was traumatized and embraced becoming an aspect of Dark Falz, and it crescendos as you defeat them and return to the boss being stunned

PSO2 had some absurd but fun melodrama I really missed in NGS, NGS feels so lifeless in comparison

I really appreciated the first phase of that fight having a surprisingly competent remix of PSIV's "Ooze"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R39FuQXuN8M

I've been checked out of NGS for a while but I don't think they've really done anything like that yet which is a shame

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Colonel posted:

man i didnt expect to start hating the monastery this early into three houses it's setting in for me how many more times i'm gonna have to do this poo poo

If you're being at all completionist about the monastery you can easily spend as much time there as you do in actual battles and it gets extremely tiring.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Been playing Jade Empire for some reason. It's not very good but it has a gay option for both selectable genders so I guess there's that. I just made it to the city and have helped the evil master of a martial arts school defeat the good spirit of another master and he taught me an evil style and gave me an evil gem. The game keeps telling me that closed fist is not evil but it pretty much is 90% of the time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jade empire isnt good but its a more interesting setting than most bioware games

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mr E posted:

The game keeps telling me that closed fist is not evil but it pretty much is 90% of the time.

It took Bioware a while to figure out how to write "bad but not evil" and even then the solution they ended up on was to make Renegade memeable.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There are plenty of justifiable Renegade options. Honestly, if anything, games with morality meters tend to be too harsh in what they judge to be evil or wrong.

Also Jade Empire is like my 3rd favorite BioWare game, maybe 4th. My only problem with it is that its too short. Add another city and like 5-10 more hours of gameplay and it might have been #2 or so. Nothing can probably beat DA Origins as it's literally the perfect BioWare WRPG.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Endorph posted:

jade empire isnt good but its a more interesting setting than most bioware games

I agree with that. The animal demons are cool along with the bug planes and even though most of the styles aren't very good it's cool that there's a bunch of them. I like the ghost design and the art direction is mostly good after the first village. A sequel could have refined a bunch of the mechanics. Story wise it's kind of funny that it mostly plays serious and straight with the story and characters but there's also moments your character will do a funny animation or something out of a wuxia comedy film happens right after you have the option to sell two women into slavery or explode someone by punching them so hard with early 3d mortal kombat or shooter level gibs. That kind of tonal shift can work in games, especially RPGs in my experience, but it doesn't really work in this game. I don't hate the game though and am planning on finishing it. I do wonder if the game was meant to be longer since you get quite a few party members despite only being able to keep one with you at once.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jade Empire has a neat little narrative beat near 2/3rds? 1/2? Cant remember now where it is and the core combat idea is really neat but executed in a horrendously unbalanced way.

Id love to play a sequel game but thats extremely never gonna happen

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

There are plenty of justifiable Renegade options. Honestly, if anything, games with morality meters tend to be too harsh in what they judge to be evil or wrong.

Also Jade Empire is like my 3rd favorite BioWare game, maybe 4th. My only problem with it is that its too short. Add another city and like 5-10 more hours of gameplay and it might have been #2 or so. Nothing can probably beat DA Origins as it's literally the perfect BioWare WRPG.

in sonic chronicles tails reminds you to save your game every so often and you can tell him to shut up

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i love 3hou's cast but man it took me a really long time to finish one route and I'm not sure I'll ever feel up for another

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
just found an rpg opening weirder than cyberdoll

https://files.catbox.moe/wo9ezc.mp4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKiH7lUS8fg

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

this sounds like something that would play in a haunted SM64 cart vid

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this game loving rules. it opens with the main character, kai, living in a prison camp. he hears from a girl in a neighboring hut that there's an escape tunnel hidden somewhere. so he walks back into his hut and notices a giant conspicuous barrel and says "i've never noticed this barrel before." (he has been living in this hut for 17 years.) so he pushes the barrel and finds a hidden tunnel under it. inside the tunnel is a single empty treasure chest and at the end he randomly emerges from a pot inside the slavemaster's control tower, conveniently hidden behind a wall as he overhears the slavemaster have a conversation with one of the bad guys about their plans to massacre the entire slave village because the slave village exists to force everyone to dig holes, and they found the dark crystal they were looking for, so there are no holes they need them to dig anymore.

then you start getting into combat and

https://files.catbox.moe/uwiype.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
heres what happens when your party members die in ancient roman

https://files.catbox.moe/79lus1.mp4