Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Eric Cantonese posted:

The "split the baby" seems to be a 25 point increase and then announcing that they'll see where it goes from there, with some nice cuddly words about valuing the stability of the financial system. I'm not sure what else they can do because potentially igniting more bank runs is not good.

Not good but amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Mustached Demon posted:

Not good but amazing

At the risk of outting myself as a kulak, I'd rather not have to sweat about whether I can really count on the FDIC to come to my rescue.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
If the fed needs to announce cuts or scale back their terminal rate then it's an open admission that the trouble already exists and they don't have a solution. The entire point of what's happening with SVB is that it's supposed to stabilize the banking system. If that's not good enough and the fed also needs to turn the faucet back on then it's only a matter of time anyway.

The markets will love it but I'm skeptical that they'd even genuinely be kicking the can down the road more than a few feet.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Eric Cantonese posted:

The "split the baby" seems to be a 25 point increase and then announcing that they'll see where it goes from there, with some nice cuddly words about valuing the stability of the financial system. I'm not sure what else they can do because potentially igniting more bank runs is not good.

On the other hand rewarding banks for having bad risk management practices is more not good.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I love it when I buy something and its functionality is subsequently eroded by a change in corporate ownership

Had to eliminate them as competition after all, very effishunt.

Nothus posted:

Has Google ever successfully assimilated a 3rd party product? Everything I can remember them acquiring dies.

Has Google ever successfully assimilated a 1st party product since like, Gmail?

They released the Pixel Watch last fall with "fitbit" technology in it, so I guess that was the play. They bought FB for the brand and IP and now that the watch is on the market, it's time to clear out the legacy users and devices.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Yellen walking back the "everyone will get bailed out" by saying that only banks that are properly large and politically connected will be bailed out was not good.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Court case completed for the day. Judgment in 2 weeks.

- Argued with the judge repeatedly about what is normal wear and tear.
- Had no response when the judge asked where the receipts were.
- Argued that pictures of when we lived there are relevant because it means we would leave the house dirty?
- Claimed the grout bag left by the guy who installed the kitchen tile (that she hired) was concrete for the patio. When told the bag clearly says grout she didn't have a response.
- Claimed I threatened to come to her house? When asked for evidence, she said she didn't have any.
- Claimed that because we were paying below market rate for rent, raising rent (that happened to be five days after we threatened to withhold rent) wasn't retaliatory, and it was "only" $200.

The judge cut her off mid-rant at the end and said, "Thanks for your time and judgment in two weeks."

Edit: Her response to the numerous violations of 1950.5(g) was, "I needed more time." When we responded with "The defendant never communicated with us about needing more time, and also did not provide a good faith estimate as per paragraph 3, she didn't have a response.

I'm sorry to inform you that the judge always sides with the small business owner. Sorry about your loss.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

The subtext is now just the text. Constitutional Oligarchy with Market Characteristics only ever meant that those with correct connections got the perks.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Justin Tyme posted:

crazy how if you brought home like $150k 15 years ago you would be living large but now it grants you the privilege of renting the most bog-standard constructed in 1995 one bedroom apartment with beige floors and "luxury" stainless appliances (stainless being standard for like a decade+ now)

also to even be granted the privilege of renting you have to fork over like five loving grand, what the hell are you supposed to do if you're broke but working a decent job?

There’s a lot of cities where you don’t have to fork over nearly as much upfront to rent. NYC is the loving devil on that front but I’ve lived in DC, Denver, and a host of mid sized cities and you can get away with <$1k upfront a good amount. poo poo I managed to get a place outside of Boston with $1 bc of credit and timing (they just opened and were desperate to fill units)

I was just looking at houses again, bc I’m an idiot, and there are straight up zero houses in any cities in the region that would be cheaper than rent. I can’t believe it but I regret not buying in 2018 when I considered it. I barely had the income then, but I would’ve kept a monthly payment just under $2k which would be incredible today.

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG

FlapYoJacks posted:

Court case completed for the day. Judgment in 2 weeks.

- Argued with the judge repeatedly about what is normal wear and tear.
- Had no response when the judge asked where the receipts were.
- Argued that pictures of when we lived there are relevant because it means we would leave the house dirty?
- Claimed the grout bag left by the guy who installed the kitchen tile (that she hired) was concrete for the patio. When told the bag clearly says grout she didn't have a response.
- Claimed I threatened to come to her house? When asked for evidence, she said she didn't have any.
- Claimed that because we were paying below market rate for rent, raising rent (that happened to be five days after we threatened to withhold rent) wasn't retaliatory, and it was "only" $200.

The judge cut her off mid-rant at the end and said, "Thanks for your time and judgment in two weeks."

Edit: Her response to the numerous violations of 1950.5(g) was, "I needed more time." When we responded with "The defendant never communicated with us about needing more time, and also did not provide a good faith estimate as per paragraph 3, she didn't have a response.

hell yeah

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
market based fascism with McDonald’s characteristics

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Basic Poster posted:

expensive fascism with added beef fragrance?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

She does in house data privacy stuff (GDPR, the new china thing etc) so thankfully she doesn’t have to be a dick sucking machine to get a job with a Firm. But it’s still frustrating because apparently there aren’t too many people who specialize in her field and there are tons of job listings but they just ghost so hard when she dares to get a high five figure salary. It’s so hosed up out there.

lol i'm seeing this after getting my new CIPP accreditation. Seems like a growing sector of the economy but doesn't seem like there's a lot of people hiring.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Basic Poster posted:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

hell yeah

Nothus posted:

Has Google ever successfully assimilated a 3rd party product? Everything I can remember them acquiring dies.

youtube seems to have worked out well

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Nothus posted:

The general Youtube experience has gotten much shittier over a decade and change but technically it works as expected

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nothus posted:

YouTube ?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

And Android

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FlapYoJacks posted:

And Android

Doesn't Android still operate as their own weird little fiefdom? I've also seen grumbles that Google engineers working on the Android apps hate the engineers that work on Android the OS because they break poo poo constantly, including breaking POSIX.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I used to wear a Fitbit but I switched to an apple watch a couple of years ago and Fitbit is (or at least was) unquestionably better at being a health tracker but I've only got room on my wrist for one device and a full feature smartwatch that does a lot of things reasonably well serves me better than a fitness tracker that does just one thing really well.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/CNBCPolitics/status/1637886005926559745

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I don’t think I’ve seen anyone wear a Fitbit in years. gg google

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just wear a Casio F-91W, it tells time, that's all I need in a watch

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My pixel 6a does it just fine

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
watches are jewelry not timekeepers

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Thoguh posted:

I used to wear a Fitbit but I switched to an apple watch a couple of years ago and Fitbit is (or at least was) unquestionably better at being a health tracker but I've only got room on my wrist for one device and a full feature smartwatch that does a lot of things reasonably well serves me better than a fitness tracker that does just one thing really well.

I like my fitbit because it's battery lasts like a week rather than a day. It's nice seldom worrying about having to charge it. Also my job is kind of dirty and I'm p sure with all the scratches on my fitbit I probably would have already hosed up an actual smartwatch. One of the younger guys at work had an iwatch he just took on/off depending on what task he was doing and that seems kind of tedious to me.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I've been using Garmins since before smartwatches were a thing and fitbits always seemed like a huge downgrade and behind the curve, even Polar watches had better functionality

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

chatter seems to be zeroing in on a 25 bp hike this week

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love how it’s always multiples of .25

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Would you like a list of banks who could blow up?
https://twitter.com/KobeissiLetter/status/1637791417069101057?t=jiKhTMvi672iQeIjVD0kuQ&s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FRC isn't being rapid-fire halted anymore but it's still bleeding. Bounced up to $16/share now at $13.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Phew

KillerFuzzball
Jul 1, 2007

taste the pain

skooma512 posted:

Fitbit got bought by Google at some point I guess and now is the time for the controlled demolition :getin:

Got an email saying they are improving the Fitbit app, by removing challenges and groups. Total doublespeak and it's clear that even if it wasn't their plan from the jump to buy and dismantle Fitbit, they're getting their lunch eaten by the Apple watch. Email had loser energy too.

They rolled out an update that killed the versa 2’s heartbeat sensor, if it didn’t brick it entirely. You can’t roll it back, and all they did about it was offer $35 off of a new one. gently caress em.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

KillerFuzzball posted:

They rolled out an update that killed the versa 2’s heartbeat sensor, if it didn’t brick it entirely. You can’t roll it back, and all they did about it was offer $35 off of a new one. gently caress em.
lmao no way, wtf?

Do No Evil :twisted:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xaris posted:

lmao no way, wtf?

Do No Evil :twisted:

Turns out that evil is subjective!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

lets pour one out for credit pisse and now probably dead republic

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

webcams for christ posted:

I've been using Garmins since before smartwatches were a thing and fitbits always seemed like a huge downgrade and behind the curve, even Polar watches had better functionality

My friend bought a new Garmin and gave me his old one and I love it. Although I use it almost entirely for fitness stuff, I do enjoy the other stuff. Can't complain about a free watch

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

FRC isn't being rapid-fire halted anymore but it's still bleeding. Bounced up to $16/share now at $13.

BTD

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

Fitbits are super inaccurate and overstate calories burned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

What if we just made it illegal for people to withdraw their money