Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
I've been running this control(?) deck and enjoying it because it feels like I'm actually responding to a game rather than playing for a single win condition and retreating if it don't hit it. Anyway my question is: I'm only just into pool 3 and Sera was my first pull. What should I be targeting as my free P3 cards if i want to keep playing decks like this? It seems like Aero was the obvious choice but just got nerfed so idk if that still holds.

# (1) Iceman
# (1) Mantis
# (1) Rocket Raccoon
# (1) Yondu
# (2) Star-Lord
# (2) Scarlet Witch
# (3) Morph
# (3) Groot
# (4) Enchantress
# (4) White Queen
# (5) Gamora
# (5) Spider-Woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

uXs posted:

9000 tokens? Do you mean credits?

I opened 36 boxes (pool 3 complete so no reason to open them earlier), and I got:

-Shanna
-Stature
-4 of the 5 steampunk variants (just missing the Cerebro one)

Shanna and Stature were in the same 40-box group so that's a thing that can happen apparently. I did not know that.

All in all, not opening boxes until you have a very good reason to do open them (like this variant rush, if you want the variants), has turned out to be a great idea. A++ would not open boxes again.

poo poo, I didn't realize I could buy boxes and just not open them. Probably cost me 5 boxes, so not the end of the world.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I meant credits.

Also I'm gonna start saving my boxes once the variant rush ends til the next one begins. Seems like a good idea.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Spent 5k creds, ended up with:
* Pixel Knull
* Steampunk Falcon
* Regular rear end Black Panther

Also picked up Shuri from the token shop because fukkin lmao

I vehemently dislike like the variant rush events, but at least I made out pretty good for having saved up the last couple of weeks.

Also also the patch notes suck, and the changes to Absorbing Man/Taskmaster/Mystique are stupid and dumb and I hate them.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Zodack posted:

Now, instead of having to beat 30+ power in two lanes, you need to beat 26ish+ power in two lanes. Bravo

*one lane, and that's with their ideal nut hand, their other draws are also a bit weaker and Aero no longer does nearly as much to bail them out of different scenarios (while new Aero played in opposition remains almost as good as it was)

that's still a tall order and you often won't beat that without your own deck having a similarly good draw, but that's true of other archetypes as well (Wong or Galactus when you don't have appropriate disruption for example) and that might actually be fine when you're looking at things on the level of match wins - reduced consistency and slightly reduced power can go a long way towards bringing 60-40 and 55-45 matches back towards 50-50

PlasticAutomaton posted:

It's almost like the real problem with the deck is the 4 drop that can give up to 15 13 extra power and it's hilariously easy to protect

it's very possible that is the case, but again that's actually not as exceptional as is being suggested - that all of that quite literally applies to Dracula as well, who often adds quite a bit more than 13 power and is far harder for most decks to interact with than Shuri is, and from a design perspective she doesn't have many buttons to push that don't effectively make her a new card or remove her from the game

the big difference between the two is that Dracula really wants to be in a discard shell and can't take advantage of the same sorts of cloning effects, whereas Shuri lends herself more to goodstuff archetypes and imposes few restrictions on deckbuilding (basically just wanting big dudes + cloning effects) - that's why I think the initial approach of trimming around the edges is a reasonable one, because (with the exception of Red Skull) the cards being hit were all already on the border through their own merits

(that's also why I won't be surprised if she does eat a nerf even if these changes successfully reign in the deck + targeting Shuri herself was also a reasonable approach, because the flexibility and power of the effect make it likely she'll be a recurring problem)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Just post some pool 3 decks with winning matchups vs shuri, that's all this discussion is about. Actually feel free to use pool 4 and pool 5 too just not galactus pls.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Waffleopolis posted:

I meant credits.

Also I'm gonna start saving my boxes once the variant rush ends til the next one begins. Seems like a good idea.

Yeah I'm mostly doing it because I want to avoid opening a box with a series 4 card in that would then drop to 3 in the very near future, which seems like a huge waste.

Opening them right after a drop and with the added bonus of this rush thing (and I like the variants) seems optimal.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

LGD posted:

Dracula really wants to be in a discard shell

dracula does just fine in sera decks/decks that can clear their hand and big boy decks where you have a lot of fat cards at the end

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

My in-game savings from the past weeks led to 25 reserves: 3 event variants, 2 other ones, 2 regular titles.

Also, these got data-mined.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

11/10 times I'm that child who eats the marshmallow now rather than 2 marshmallows 5 minutes from now so no minmaxed box hoarding for me. I have also lost 15 ranks this week.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Enjoyed opening a bunch of boxes today and upgrading a lot of cards. Not sure how many boxes I opened in total, I think maybe between 27-30, but I got Orka which makes me series 3 complete again after grabbing M'Baku from the new shop, a pixel Black Panther (yuck), Dazzler, and lucked out getting nearly all of the steampunks variants. I'm currently only missing the Cerebro steampunk variant.

Also received a bunch of tokens and I now have enough for a pinned Thanos but I'm thinking of waiting to see how the changes today end up working with those decks. Not sure what else I'd want to pick up with tokens though aside from maybe Kang.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
If I have virtually all of Season 3 but no Shuri, what's good right now?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CitizenKeen posted:

The deck I climbed to infinite with has still been performing well today despite nerfs to Aero and SheHulk.

I may write up a big long thing about this later but I want to make sure it still fires properly before recommending it to everyone.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

No Wave posted:

Just post some pool 3 decks with winning matchups vs shuri, that's all this discussion is about. Actually feel free to use pool 4 and pool 5 too just not galactus pls.

Yeah, this.

Also Leech wasn't touched at all. Hope you guys like seeing him. My free card right now is Electro and I'm tempted to grab him and make a Leech Ramp. gently caress this new meta.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Quetzadilla posted:

11/10 times I'm that child who eats the marshmallow now rather than 2 marshmallows 5 minutes from now so no minmaxed box hoarding for me. I have also lost 15 ranks this week.

That's generally me as well, but I can resist it when the boxes are virtually guaranteed to either contain nothing or actual negative value.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

CitizenKeen posted:

I've been having a lot of success with this Sera control list:

1 Nova
2 Zabu
2 Scarlet Witch
2 Sentinel
2 Lizard
3 Killmonger
3 Polaris
4 Darkhawk (This could be White Queen or another 4 of your choice; I've been seeing less Thanos after the patch and that's the deck Hawk is mainly there for. Otherwise he feels like the weakest card in the deck)
4 Rock Slide (Probably replace with something else if you're not running Hawk, though a 4/6 that might ruin a draw is decent enough)
4 Shang-Chi
5 Sera
5 Aero (This is most likely replacable after the nerf in the patch, Spiderwoman seems like a good enough replacement perhaps)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cool, got the Shocker variant which was the only one I actually planned on using. Also got Orka, which is less exciting

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

The worst name/title combo.

But what av would complete the set?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Quetzadilla posted:

The worst name/title combo.

But what av would complete the set?
Captain Marvel av, or Agatha Harkness?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Typhoid Mary?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

canyonero posted:

Typhoid Mary?

Speaking of Typhoid Mary, that Red Skull buff basically made her useless outside of Luke Cage Antics

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Walla posted:

Yeah, this.

Also Leech wasn't touched at all. Hope you guys like seeing him. My free card right now is Electro and I'm tempted to grab him and make a Leech Ramp. gently caress this new meta.

They say Leech wasn't used in other strong decks, Thanos was the one very strong deck and they dinged him in three ways.

Were you seeing Leech much? I can't say I was but I've been on that Shuri Zero Red Skull beat for the last ~40 ranks and it's mostly other Shuri Zero Red Skull decks I'm running into.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

All I’m running into at Infinite is Shuri Red Skull Taskmaster. Well done Second Dinner, you stupid loving morons.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sandwolf posted:

Speaking of Typhoid Mary, that Red Skull buff basically made her useless outside of Luke Cage Antics

She's good Dracula food in some decks, still

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

No Wave posted:

It's not rly a nerf, he'll still have the same power on the board as before. Knull and Morbius behaved differently from devil dino and had their ongoings active in hand/deck and it ended up more confusing and inconsistent than helpful.

He's played in Dracula decks, and while it certainly wasn't what you wanted to be doing, sometimes you ended up with a Morbius stuck in your hand at end of game due to things like Isle of Silence or Plunder Island. It's not a substantial nerf, but the card is less powerful than it was before today.

Excited to try out the changes - Galactus definitely appreciates there being less Aero around which should be neat.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Only got one steampunk card, but the credits I got from my boxes allowed me to split Dracula again so now I have inked Alex Horley Drac and that's cool by me.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

parasyte posted:

They say Leech wasn't used in other strong decks, Thanos was the one very strong deck and they dinged him in three ways.

Were you seeing Leech much? I can't say I was but I've been on that Shuri Zero Red Skull beat for the last ~40 ranks and it's mostly other Shuri Zero Red Skull decks I'm running into.

I'm vibing in the 60's and I see a lot of Leech. It's one of the best defenses against Shuri, especially if you can cheat him out on 3 or 4. Also I see a lot of Thanos because everyone has either bought him or Shuri.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Walla posted:

I'm vibing in the 60's and I see a lot of Leech. It's one of the best defenses against Shuri, especially if you can cheat him out on 3 or 4. Also I see a lot of Thanos because everyone has either bought him or Shuri.

Fair enough. Time to slot Infinaut in my Shuri deck, probably replace Aero.

E: 4 is too late, by that time Shuri's queued up already, you'd have to cheat him out on 3 to actually affect her, if I don't have her by 4 to play she's not getting played at all and I'm likely retreating. I do like a good Leech on Red Skull and Infinaut though, thanks for removing the downside on my cards.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I just got 600 collector's tokens from a cache. I knew changes were coming but it's just wild to see that many at once.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Wow, they blew it with the Shuri nerfs. That’s crazy.

Are they still unable to do hotfix balance changes? If so that makes Shuri a pretty safe buy from the token shop.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
At 5k tokens, Kang pinned in the shop, let's goooooo

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Just inked my Iceman also :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4UqMyldS7Q

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

BGrifter posted:

Wow, they blew it with the Shuri nerfs. That’s crazy.

Are they still unable to do hotfix balance changes? If so that makes Shuri a pretty safe buy from the token shop.

I presume they can, one of the game designers is saying they can tap RS in a hotfix if needed: https://twitter.com/Glenn_Jones_/status/1638227777139916800

But they likely can't or won't hotfix Shuri, any changes to her require something more than just a number tweak. If you make her a 4/0, or 4/-1 or whatever, the power double is still just as strong. Making her a 5/2 just dumpsters her, you're spending T5 and T6 to drop one strong card in which case Infinaut is right there and doesn't depend on drawing himself and Shuri.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I mean making her a 4/0 does do something. It's probably not enough but knocking 2 power off of pretty much anything is a big deal.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

parasyte posted:

I presume they can, one of the game designers is saying they can tap RS in a hotfix if needed:

That’s good to know. I vaguely remembered some posts a couple weeks ago about how they lost their inability to hotfix cards on one platform or another. Guess they got it sorted!

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

All I’m running into at Infinite is Shuri Red Skull Taskmaster. Well done Second Dinner, you stupid loving morons.

I'm sorry for your pain, but it's kinda hilarious that pre-matchmaking change, everyone was complaining about getting their poo poo stomped in by infinite players and the game not being fun, and now infinite players are forced to play each other and the game not being fun. Hopefully that new game mode comes online to give infinite players something more fun to do besides Shuri Red Skull Taskmaster each other.

Jedit posted:

Just go to the shop, it will be there unless you're already S3-complete after the drops. I went in and my shop had room for M'Baku.

I see it, but I'm dumb and don't really understand/trust it. The main bit of information I would like to see on the screen is the time left for the current season (to confirm that the "season" wherein you get the free claim is the same as the Season Pass season).

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

parasyte posted:

Fair enough. Time to slot Infinaut in my Shuri deck, probably replace Aero.

E: 4 is too late, by that time Shuri's queued up already, you'd have to cheat him out on 3 to actually affect her, if I don't have her by 4 to play she's not getting played at all and I'm likely retreating. I do like a good Leech on Red Skull and Infinaut though, thanks for removing the downside on my cards.

I don't play a lot of Leech, it's just what I see. Presumably it's to shut down Taskmaster and She Hulk. I play Surfer and high value decks and most of the time if I get Leeched they just don't have enough value on the board and end up retreating.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

No Wave posted:

I mean making her a 4/0 does do something. It's probably not enough but knocking 2 power off of pretty much anything is a big deal.

I'm not going to claim I'm great at the game or anything but the 2 power from Shuri is just not something I ever care about. I'll gladly toss her into a death zone if one's available; RS/Taskmaster is just so strong.

Maybe it matters more now that RS has been knocked down slightly, I haven't had the chance to play a ton since the patch.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

cgeq posted:

I'm sorry for your pain, but it's kinda hilarious that pre-matchmaking change, everyone was complaining about getting their poo poo stomped in by infinite players and the game not being fun, and now infinite players are forced to play each other and the game not being fun. Hopefully that new game mode comes online to give infinite players something more fun to do besides Shuri Red Skull Taskmaster each other.

I see it, but I'm dumb and don't really understand/trust it. The main bit of information I would like to see on the screen is the time left for the current season (to confirm that the "season" wherein you get the free claim is the same as the Season Pass season).

That notification shows up after you choose your card. I have 1w 6d before I can claim my next free card, exactly the same time as the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I mean minor tweaks like thay can slightly affect winrate which would make the archetype slightly less common, i think the Galactus 6/3 -> 6/2 nerf was a pretty good example of that and I liked thay nerf as it made galactus just sliiightly worse enough that he appeared sliiightly less and that was all that was needed. But when something is as overpowering as Shuri it basically makes no difference dropping her to 0 or -1. Sadly the only way I can see Shuri being fixed without turning her into a 4-cost Forge is to make her a 5/3 or something.