Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Where the gently caress does anyone get the notion that the company famous for strangling brick-and-mortar businesses to death would revitalize their brick-and-mortar temple to consumerism and 1980s optimism?

How do you even get that many brain worms?

America will establish peace and stability in ________.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Cpt_Obvious posted:

America will establish peace and stability in ________.

bourgeois enclaves

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

triple sulk posted:

all the brand and system-specific communities are now trying to figure out where to migrate to. it sucks a lot
Discord obviously :mrgw:

unironic answer: reddit. but i think reddit's says are numbered with Conde Naste trying to cash out with an IPO and will be driven into the ground tumblr-style, but even more locked down and corporate-restricted

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Jon Irenicus posted:

why the gently caress did my bank just cold call me to offer me a home equity loan?? they even left me a voicemail.

Seems like it's just a things that banks do. We get a call maybe every two or three months along the lines of "hey, you're pretty close to being done with your mortgage, what good is that equity if you don't borrow against it?"

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Xaris posted:

Discord obviously :mrgw:

unironic answer: reddit. but i think reddit's says are numbered with Conde Naste trying to cash out with an IPO and will be driven into the ground tumblr-style, but even more locked down and corporate-restricted

hate to say it but if reddit dies the internet is legitimately kinda hosed because "[term] reddit" is really the only way to get half decent information these days

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

triple sulk posted:

hate to say it but if reddit dies the internet is legitimately kinda hosed because "[term] reddit" is really the only way to get half decent information these days

if something replaces reddit it will be whatever does that in its stead

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

triple sulk posted:

been saying this for solid 6+ years now

it will absolutely be the death of the usable internet

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

There's still a lot of really good information on YouTube if you can deal with fighting through an overly long video to get at it, but long-form video content is probably on its way out, too.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

anime was right posted:

if something replaces reddit it will be whatever does that in its stead

Our time to shine

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

There's still a lot of really good information on YouTube if you can deal with fighting through an overly long video to get at it, but long-form video content is probably on its way out, too.
problem is you can't easily search videos if it has what you need. i'm not even sure if transcripts are searchable

but yes if you have a generic problem like "how to replace side mirror on honda HRV 2019" then you'll probably get a video

the other thing is there's a lot of information that can't, or is detrimental, to be presented in video-format. things like instructions or cooking, sure its great, but things like knowledge or something, then it's worthless

Xaris has issued a correction as of 22:16 on Mar 21, 2023

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Our time to shine

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

triple sulk posted:

dpreview (site for cameras, don't be horny!!) is apparently closing too as a result of the amazon thing. rip

lol spit out my coffee when i read that

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Return to Geocities.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

triple sulk posted:

dpreview (site for cameras, don't be horny!!) is apparently closing too as a result of the amazon thing. rip

ughh that was a really good site

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

triple sulk posted:

i get that it is about cameras but is it for previewing dicks or reviewing double penetrations?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

listen, if you need a camera/lens review just check the many highly rated reviews on Amazon.comn

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

aside from reddit the only place you can reliably find information are other weirdly specific web forums like mumset or pistonheads

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
[me, working for big forum] yes...hahah...yes!!

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

TIGHT labor market

https://twitter.com/lines_down/status/1638279878742269952

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

skooma512 posted:

They're right.

Which is why I donate to the regional food bank and to the Goon Fund. Not National President Radio lol

I donated to my local food bank two years ago and I am pretty sure every dollar I donated has gone to postage and printing costs of sending me letters 2-3 a week asking for more donations

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What's BOFA Global Investment Strategy?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

bofa deez globes

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

DISINFLATION

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

blue squares posted:

I donated to my local food bank two years ago and I am pretty sure every dollar I donated has gone to postage and printing costs of sending me letters 2-3 a week asking for more donations
non-profits are such dogshit. why yes, thank you for rewarding me for donating by consequently text/email/mailing me donation begging calls multiple times a day. i've stopped donating money to non-profits besides RAICES out of annoyed spite

i've gladly volunteered labor though. but most of the time they don't want labor and money.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 22:47 on Mar 21, 2023

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The local homeless shelter has never bothered me about donations. They actually sent me a handwritten thank you note every December. Good people.

Bernie on the other hand...

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ironically I think the "how to do xxxx home/car thing" video is better suited for the choppy short form editing style where the video is like 40 seconds to a minute long, 10 minute videos on how to change a headlight are loving annoying because most of the video is the person flapping their gums about unhelpful bullshit or fumbling around with tools

Short 5-10 seconds lines of instruction with quick cuts showing where and what to do makes it so you don't even need to search the video, it's short enough to just watch through (or at least searching becomes trivial). The issue is idk how easy it is to search for specific videos on apps like Tiktok or if videos even have titles TO search.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

Ironically I think the "how to do xxxx home/car thing" video is better suited for the choppy short form editing style where the video is like 40 seconds to a minute long, 10 minute videos on how to change a headlight are loving annoying because most of the video is the person flapping their gums about unhelpful bullshit or fumbling around with tools

Short 5-10 seconds lines of instruction with quick cuts showing where and what to do makes it so you don't even need to search the video, it's short enough to just watch through (or at least searching becomes trivial). The issue is idk how easy it is to search for specific videos on apps like Tiktok or if videos even have titles TO search.

also those short videos make no ad money. Unless you are on TikTok but nobody on that is doing auto how-to videos

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Property owners will get their bailout too so number will go back up.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

look, if you are out there making an honest living, gently caress you

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

blue squares posted:

also those short videos make no ad money. Unless you are on TikTok but nobody on that is doing auto how-to videos

What happened to making content for its own sake

Why do we have to monetize everything

I make content here every single day, and no one pays me

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

exactly

these people thinking the internet can make them money are all buying into a Faustian bargain that will catch up with them eventually

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

cutting/editing is so much work if you're not used to it.
the videos are long because they're experts at the home/car thing, not Adobe Premiere

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Something awful posts are internet charity

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

the videos are long because they're experts at the home/car thing, not Adobe Premiere

You're right if you're watching a video by a nobody, but anyone with even a modest number of subscribers is doing for monetization. You'll get all kinds of mixed answers about what's "best" for a YouTube video, but longer is almost universally better until the video is so long that nobody clicks on it. It doesn't even matter whether it really works for the algorithm or not, the end result is that anybody who tries to find any information about video length will turn up a billion blog posts and videos telling them to make their videos 5+ minutes.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

zetamind2000 posted:

Something awful posts are internet charity

that's right

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

webcams for christ posted:

and yeah just making content, that isn't posting/writing (and even then) is huge. there's probably a ton of good civil engineering/foundation/soil stabilization content i could make and would like but between already doing 50 hours a week of poo poo at work, cleaning up, walking dog, making dinner, then lightly shitposting for a bit, there ain't any time left in the day

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
I think a general problem with american culture is we've more or less enshrined more money = better than so unless contributing to something gets you personally rewarded not only is it not worth doing but it means you're bad at thing. It can be a pretty discouraging process so the people who are in it for the love of the hobby or craft or whatever probably are just gonna stick with doing it for themselves/friends/families where it feels more appreciated than struggling through years of being invalidated online.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Anyone who has any kind of real hobby has probably been endlessly assaulted by well-meaning by friends and family recommending ways to monetize it. Every year people we know will tell us that we should sell produce from our garden at the farmer's market, or that we should make a gardening YouTube channel, or why do we put so much effort into it if we're not making money from it? I got into a small argument with a family member when I told him I was scaling back/more or less abandoning my fairly profitable 3d printing side gig because I wanted it to just be a hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Xaris posted:

and yeah just making content, that isn't posting/writing (and even then) is huge. there's probably a ton of good civil engineering/foundation/soil stabilization content i could make and would like but between already doing 50 hours a week of poo poo at work, cleaning up, walking dog, making dinner, then lightly shitposting for a bit, there ain't any time left in the day

Yeah, I keep telling myself I’ll actually use my CFD software more significantly to get my side consulting gig going more, but with young kids and normal job stuff, there just isn’t time.