Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Katanas are somewhat interesting in IBO because they (and other elements of Japanese culture) are generally used to signify the solar system's ethnic minority underclasses while the imperialist forces of Gjallarhorn are resolutely European. It's actually an important piece of visual storytelling that Gaelio's final machine uses a katana in his duel against McGillis, who's stuck championing the obsolete cultural purity of a largely-mythical heroic past with his pair of ultra-fancy knightly arming swords (which get shattered while Gaelio's comparatively plain but far more modern katana remains intact).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Darth Walrus posted:

Pretty interesting take. I'll be intrigued to see what its gimmicks are. Maybe those gold bits on the forearms are thrusters for ultra-fast iaijutsu? That would be the right kind of stupid-cool for a Calamity War Gundam.

those gold bits are throwing stars

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The most important thing here is that it's Rustal's family Gundam.

Because it means Rustal's great grandma was a total weeb.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Bael and Vidar are the coolest suits in IBO so blades are good

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Arc Hammer posted:

Mobile suits that use swords in IBO are lame, even the Barbatos got lamer when it used a Katana for a short while. When you have hammers, maces, giant claws and pliers in your arsenal a little slashy sword feels quaint.

The Barbarian Lupus again had it right with the Sword-Mace.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

The most important thing here is that it's Rustal's family Gundam.

Because it means Rustal's great grandma was a total weeb.

Seems like a perfect machine for Julietta to inherit, at least, particularly given the aforementioned cultural significance of being a weeb in the PD era.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

What is with after calamity and giving perfectly good designs atrocious paint jobs? It's insane; I can only assume Big Airbrush is behind this, or the Tamiya lobby, maybe a secretive cabal of handpicked hand painters pulling the handles of power?

Whomever is behind this you need to stop. You're inflicting retinal violence upon me, and draining the last vestiges of humanity from my body when you depict such mechanical monstrosities maleficently marked, and so poorly pigmented.

STOP THIS! IT CANNOT GO ON!

lol airbush go psssssssssssh

Zedd posted:

Frankly the lesson of Barbatos is that cutting weapons are a waste of time and energy. You can get the same results out of a giant mace with less fiddly crap--better, actually, since if for some reason you can't cut through the armor your sword is hosed. Meanwhile, your mace can continue to concuss the pilot, which is as valid a kill as any other.

Beam sabers change the calculus a bit, but in a setting where those are worse than a physical sword, big hammer is a pretty effective trump card.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The Turn A takes the entire run to seem impressive because it took Loran a long time to read the user manual in detail. It's one of my favorite detail bits in the series, in a lot of the quiet moments Loran is reading the Turn A manual/specs and discovers more and more about it. He is never a top tier Gundam pilot, but his natural progression as a result of his familiarity and knowledge of the platform over the series was always nice to me, it felt like a more natural way to become good at the Mobile Suit than most other Tomino protags where they have a newtype inherent knowledge or skill with their machines.

I'll defend the IBO suits because that MG Barbatos gunpla is the best thing I've built in a Gunpla and it deserves credit for being a quality design that translates well to a real world model without feeling weird.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Question. Is Gundam the point of origin for the "Pilot Cutaway" visual or does that imagery predate the show?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
If you mean the traditional "the shot of the scene shows the robot with an inset of its pilot" framing device, that was a traditional framing device in basically all the old school super robot shows that Gundam just carried over(because Mobile Suit Gundam itself was originally meant to be another super robot show except Tomino steered it in a different direction).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah that's the one. I should have written "Pilot cutout" rather than cutaway, because like you said it's inset within the image.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Zedd posted:

While I have nothing against the giant maces, Barbatos Lupus was my favorite for the sword-mace. It felt like the optimal combination for mobile smashy smashy, where the mace isn't so heavy that the Barbatos is momentarily immobile after a kill.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

tsob posted:

The actual gist of their story so far as I can ascertain it in the show though is that she met Will Game on her last trip to Earth about 100 years ago, and while there she made requests of several men; which was probably for gifts and so on. The scene is ambiguous but the feeling I got was that several men of import such as lords made marriage requests or something, and Dianna fobbed them off by making fanciful requests that were essentially impossible. Only Will Game, the one guy she did actually feel something for took it seriously despite her protestations and went to find some bird for her or something. He plants a sapling with her before he leaves, and tells her that he'll ask for her hand in marriage after he returns but he doesn't return quickly, so Dianna is forced to return to the Moon instead of waiting for him.

It just hit me that Dianna is Princess Kaguya. I should rewatch Turn A sometime.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/ZetsubouPanels/status/1638933631451422721?s=20

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Traveller posted:

It just hit me that Dianna is Princess Kaguya. I should rewatch Turn A sometime.

Yeah, Tomino based Dianna on Princess Kaguya according to people like Feez over on Twitter, though I'm not familiar enough with the story of Kaguya to notice it on my own. Tomino was also heavily influenced by Takurazaku theater apparently, a troupe of all women who've been going for decades now and who Tomino is a big fan of. It's why Loran is rather feminine looking going by what he's said, rather than Tomino originally wanting Loran to be female. The earliest character designs for Loran are much more masculine looking. It's also the basis for the Harry/Kihel and Loran/Dianna relationship apparently, because that kind of knight in shining armor and lady relationship is a big element of Takurazaka shows. Feez's site has some really interesting information, along with translated scans of the Wind of Moon manga and poo poo. It's worth a browse if you're a Turn A fan.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

had a dream about a new Gundam show and now i'm dissapointed it's not real :(

there was even cool thematic imagery in it... the Amuro/Char stand-ins would appear piloting each other's suits in the ending, perhaps symbolizing how they were ultimately cast from the same mold?

maybe when i run out of gundam to watch i'll turn to lucid dreaming

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

catgirlgenius posted:

there was even cool thematic imagery in it... the Amuro/Char stand-ins would appear piloting each other's suits in the ending, perhaps symbolizing how they were ultimately cast from the same mold?

That's Gundam Wing

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

Yeah, Tomino based Dianna on Princess Kaguya according to people like Feez over on Twitter, though I'm not familiar enough with the story of Kaguya to notice it on my own. Tomino was also heavily influenced by Takurazaku theater apparently, a troupe of all women who've been going for decades now and who Tomino is a big fan of. It's why Loran is rather feminine looking going by what he's said, rather than Tomino originally wanting Loran to be female. The earliest character designs for Loran are much more masculine looking. It's also the basis for the Harry/Kihel and Loran/Dianna relationship apparently, because that kind of knight in shining armor and lady relationship is a big element of Takurazaka shows. Feez's site has some really interesting information, along with translated scans of the Wind of Moon manga and poo poo. It's worth a browse if you're a Turn A fan.

Knowing the Kaguya story really helps explain a lot about Turn A. For example, the episode where Diana tries to trick Loran into asking for her Line contact information only to fail when it turns out Line no longer exists due to apocalyptic warfare on Earth? Classic Kaguya reference. Similarly, the episode where Sochie impresses the Ramen Kings without knowing it is an extended play on a similar plotline within the wider Kaguya myth cycle.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Who's Ishigami then?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Traveller posted:

you should, yes

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Stairmaster posted:

That's Gundam Wing

And Thunderbolt, sort of.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Who's Ishigami then?

Keith.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've never actually read Princess Kaguya but it seems to be referenced a lot in media that imma just treat it like the Japanese equivalent of Shakespeare getting turned into an early 2000s romantic comedy.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I'm never gonna be able to look at Yazan the same now that I learned he was based on Sting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Have you considered the image of Yazan crossed with Beavis instead?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Grape posted:

I'm never gonna be able to look at Yazan the same now that I learned he was based on Sting.

How do you feel about the fact he allllllmost awoke as a Newtype, but rejected the feeling and just went on to kick rear end as a normal pilot instead? It's something a lot of people seem to have missed or forgotten, and tends to cause people to re-evaluate him for better or worse too.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

Have you considered the image of Yazan crossed with Beavis instead?

I have! My first impression was Beavis.
Now it's Beavisting.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Heh-hehehe

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Heh heh, check it out. I'm gonna drop a colony.

Huh huh, that's cool.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arc Hammer posted:

I've never actually read Princess Kaguya but it seems to be referenced a lot in media that imma just treat it like the Japanese equivalent of Shakespeare getting turned into an early 2000s romantic comedy.

Th Ghibli movie is really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9QnebAVHVk

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Also I forgot which goofy looking Titans guy was which and got the name wrong and well

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

someone do jerid as stewart and emma as daria

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

If you haven't watched Isao Takahata's The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, you need to clear some time for it right now. It's an astonishing artistic achievement.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Randallteal posted:

Also I forgot which goofy looking Titans guy was which and got the name wrong and well

Similar energy to a google search I made years ago where I typed in "jesus christ" and the first auto complete was "it's jason bourne"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/nigoki/status/1639271719612325902?s=20

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/benjanun_s/status/1639220577469894662?t=PPGqEPIu07TVUXsIpmNBpQ&s=19

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

But cool robot!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

She really wants people to see the tears of time and wonder who will survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcnj8KuAFOI

Gundam Build Metaverse, a three episode 10th anniversary Build miniseries