Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Guess I need to look into openMW!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Guess I need to look into openMW!

In normal Game Mode:
Install Morrowind through Steam as normal like any game

In Desktop Mode:
Restart into Desktop mode, open the Discover app store and search for OpenMW
Install that
It will ask you where your morrowind install is, it should be in /home/deck/.steam/steam/steamapps/common
(If you can't find the .steam folder, it might be hidden. In the Hamburger Menu of file browser dolphin (The three horizontal lines), there's an option to Show hidden files.)
OpenMW will do its thing
Add OpenMW as a game to steam by finding it in the desktop menu, right click, add to steam.

Back in Game Mode
OpenMW should be in the Installed folder in Library. I added art to it using the SteamGridDB Plugin.
When you open it, there'll be a launcher with loads of options. If your trackpads aren't working here, hold Steam+L2
Fiddle around with the resolution (1280 x 800 is what you want)
That's it really

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

In normal Game Mode:

In Desktop Mode:
Install that
It will ask you where your morrowind install is, it should be in /home/deck/.steam/steam/steamapps/common
(If you can't find the .steam folder, it might be hidden. In the Hamburger Menu of file browser dolphin (The three horizontal lines), there's an option to Show hidden files.)
OpenMW will do its thing
Add OpenMW as a game to steam by finding it in the desktop menu, right click, add to steam.

Back in Game Mode
OpenMW should be in the Installed folder in Library. I added art to it using the SteamGridDB Plugin.
When you open it, there'll be a launcher with loads of options. If your trackpads aren't working here, hold Steam+L2
That's it really

You are wonderful :) Thank you for this!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

There's some OpenMW-specific art on SteamGridDB, but you can manually boop the Morrowind stuff into it too, which I think works better.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I personally wouldn't install anything that constantly runs like Decky unless I absolutely needed something it did. Too wary of it using resources or conflicting with something.

Cryo Utilities, on the other hand, is very nice. Run it once to noticeably improve performance. Simple. Easily reversible.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can see how much its using, its pretty negligible

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I personally wouldn't install anything that constantly runs like Decky unless I absolutely needed something it did.

Hmm, I hadn’t heard this. What about Decky is constantly running? I thought it just hooked into the UI of the Deck to be activated when the UI hook was poked. Some plugins might hook other things, but for example I would be surprised if the ProtonDB badges plugin was doing anything while I was in a game.

E: Oh, maybe you mean “resident in memory” as “constantly running”? I guess there are some structures that have to stay there, maybe?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The Deck is a modern PC in a handheld form, some tiny UI plugins like Decky's aren't going to affect performance even if they were somehow resident in memory.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, I hadn’t heard this. What about Decky is constantly running? I thought it just hooked into the UI of the Deck to be activated when the UI hook was poked. Some plugins might hook other things, but for example I would be surprised if the ProtonDB badges plugin was doing anything while I was in a game.

E: Oh, maybe you mean “resident in memory” as “constantly running”? I guess there are some structures that have to stay there, maybe?
It hooks Steam by attaching to it as a debugger, so there is a background process involved there waiting for its breakpoints. But the thing its hooking in the first place is a web browser which is a million times beefier than the debugger so its kinda pointless to worry about it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

barbecue at the folks posted:

The Deck is a modern PC in a handheld form, some tiny UI plugins like Decky's aren't going to affect performance even if they were somehow resident in memory.

If anything’s going to bug out and suck up resources in the background it’s going to be some rando’s Decky plug-in so turning that stuff off should at least be the first step in anyone’s troubleshooting process.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

kapi posted:

Is it worth buying the Steam version of The Division 2 if I already have the Ubisoft Connect version? I'm not sure if running the Steam version has any inherent benefits over just going through the Ubisoft launcher directly, and I heard they were crashing problems but those might have been fixed. But for nine bucks I could buy the game again if it would run better.

If you already have it set up to play on steam deck with the Ubisoft Connect version, no real reason to buy it again. The Steam version also uses the Ubi Connect to login anyway.

Division 1 is funny to install on the deck currently. It still uses uPlay, so you have to install Ubi Connect via desktop, then copy those files over to the windows folder on the deck and when the uPlay popup happens to login, it connects to Ubi Connect instead.

It runs fantastic, looks fine, but something about the screen size and 3rd person shooting feels off to me, but I think that's a personal thing rather than a deck issue.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Heads up that ubisoft connect has had an update that I think has broke running games on steam deck. Couldn't get ghost recon breakpoint to run despite doing the recommended things on protondb. Just get a blank screen showing me the steam deck options.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Square Enix games are on sale just about in every store front but GMG has the cheapest prices on them. $16 for Nier Automata was too good to pass up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Can you charge the Steam Deck with a car charger? I'm guessing the car's built-in USB probably doesn't supply enough power?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Square Enix games are on sale just about in every store front but GMG has the cheapest prices on them. $16 for Nier Automata was too good to pass up.

Can you get 60fps on Automata (or Replicant for that matter; I've been meaning to get the other endings at some point) on the Deck?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

Can you charge the Steam Deck with a car charger? I'm guessing the car's built-in USB probably doesn't supply enough power?

Can you get 60fps on Automata (or Replicant for that matter; I've been meaning to get the other endings at some point) on the Deck?

Its 65W... don't know about modern expensive cars but mine doesnt even charge my phones :D

There are adapters for the cigarrete lighter port which supposedly deliver 65w but I think build-in USB slots wont

haldolium fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 23, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Car chargers max out at 120w DC, typically, or 10amp and 12 volts. Technically, they can, just get a car charger that doesn't suck. You want something that can push 35w (3a @12v would get you right to 36w)

Some of the name brand car chargers claim 20w like anker, but there's some Chinese ones that claim 65w

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Does OpenMW support Tamriel Rebuilt? I just checked and… Jesus the project is almost old enough to smoke and it’s still only halfway into its scope :dogstare:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Anyone know anything about a recent video codec issue with the Steam OS 3.4.6 update and Proton GE?

Harvestella is 44% off on GMG XP and I was considering picking it up (again), but I checked ProtonDB and it looks like the cutscenes (which always required Proton GE?) are broken again.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Relatedly, any idea how long the sale is going for GMG or elsewhere?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Ytlaya posted:

Automata I don't know, Replicant runs around 45 fps.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is Minecraft Java viable on the Deck, or am I best off running a Windows install from an SD card and doing it from there? I remember having an absolute nightmare of a time adding Minecraft to Steam and using Steam Input in the past, but maybe things have changed.
Posted earlier in the thread (I haven't tested this myself, though):

Heran Bago posted:

SevTech Ages is running super well. Controls better than expected, and I'll have to try gyro eventually.

Idiot's step-by-step for vanilla or modded Java Minecraft on Deck
  • Switch to Desktop mode.
  • In the Discover store, install GDLauncher.
  • Open GDLauncher from the start menu > Games.
  • Click Automatic Setup.
  • Sign in.
  • Click the arrow in the bottom-right four times, close the pop-up.
  • Click the gear icon in the upper-right.
  • Click General in the left pane. Enable Hide Launcher While Playing.
  • Click Java in the left pane. Change Game Resolution to 1280 x 700 (for some reason not 800). Increase the Java Memory slider bar to 8192 or more.
  • Click the boxed X in the upper-right area (don't close the window).
  • Click the + in the bottom-left. Search for and select your desired vanilla version or modpack. You will be given a chance to name the instance. Click the right arrow to install. If your mod pack has any "opted out" mods, allow the browser window pop-up to automate downloading them for you.
  • Right-click your installed instance. Click Manage then click Mods in the left pane. Click the Add Mod button. Search for and install Controllable.
  • Click the boxed X in the upper-right area (don't close the window).
  • Click the steam icon on the task bar. Click Library. Click the boxed + in the bottom left and click Add a Non-Steam Game... Check the box next to GDLauncher and add game.
  • In the Steam Library window, search for GDLauncher. Right-click it in the list and click Properties...
  • Rename it Minecraft: Java Edition.
  • Close all open windows. Return to Gaming Mode.
  • Select, but don't start Minecraft: Java Edition. Open the control settings.
  • From templates, choose Gamepad with Mouse Trackpad.
  • Edit the template and go to trackpads, set the left trackpad to button only and map it to left click.
  • Start Minecraft: Java Edition.
  • Click on your instance to start it. If using a big modpack it will take some time to load.
  • From the title screen enter the options.
  • Click the small controller icon added by the mod. Make sure that you see a green check mark. You can change controller mapping under Bindings. Click Settings. Disable Virtual Mouse and Render Mini Player. Return to Options.
  • In video settings turn on Fullscreen and reduce Framerate to 60 or lower. You may want to reduce graphics options or increase brightness.
  • That's all! You can now join a server or start a new world. Steam button + X will bring up the on-screen keyboard at any time. Sometimes it may take a few presses.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

In normal Game Mode:

In Desktop Mode:
Install that
OpenMW will do its thing

Back in Game Mode
That's it really

Quoting this for later, thank you.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

In normal Game Mode:

In Desktop Mode:
Install that
OpenMW will do its thing

Back in Game Mode
That's it really
Just gonna save this.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

Does OpenMW support Tamriel Rebuilt? I just checked and… Jesus the project is almost old enough to smoke and it’s still only halfway into its scope :dogstare:

Yeah, I’ve been playing through normal morrowind, but I have Tamriel rebuilt installed and I accidentally visited one of the cities so it seems to work.

Some mods have a specific openMW version, I don’t think Tamriel rebuilt is one though.

I think you need to make a new character if you install it though since it adds so much. I installed it right before the most recent update so I’m missing some of the new stuff.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Tayter Swift posted:

Yep. I think it's their recommended option, now, too.

I played through a lot of the places, while it's weird to see land masses just... end. It is Morrowind, so not that odd.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm playing as vanilla as possible for now, I used to play Morrowind back in like 2004 and I'd spend more time messing around with the load order than playing the actual game. I still think as far as vibes go, it's unmatched for RPGs. The atmosphere is insane. Such a classic game. Being able to play it in bed on the Deck is a dream.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Relatedly, any idea how long the sale is going for GMG or elsewhere?

The Square Enix sale on Steam runs until the 27th, so I’m guessing the other storefronts will match it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah morrowind and other big open world rpgs are some of my favorites for handhelds. I got the gyro aiming set up really nicely too, it’s super smooth. I think I set it up to be gyro mouse but I’m still using the joystick controls. That way you can gyro around the mouse to click things. And I use the back buttons for mouse clicks. Also a left pad virtual menu for the 1-9 quick bar.

It’s awkward to click the ok when moving stacks of stuff, so I bound something as the enter key. So click on the stack, then enter will pick it all up by default.

I remember running being a bit weird. You can enable default running in the config file, or just bind the run command (I think it might have to be a keyboard button not sure).

I’ll post my settings for a mostly vanilla, with the usual performance mods and ground cover later. You can extend the viewing distance and keep a solid fps (except in balmora). IIRC messing with the background physics threads was helpful to getting a more consistent frame rate.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've never played Nier Automata but I've had friends going on and on about it for years so I grabbed it on sale. Do you still need to do a lot of bother with mods or should I just play it stock on the deck?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
If I understand correctly to play FFXIV I need to install some steam version on the Deck's internal memory correct? So if I have the 64gig version I'm SOL? From what I remember FFVIX is pretty massive. (though that might be because of all the expansion I have, maybe the trial version is a lot smaller).

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Sludge Life is free until March 30th and is described as a "grimey first-person vandalism sim". It has a platinum rating on ProtonDB, and is only a few hours if you looking for something small to play.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1144770/SLUDGE_LIFE/

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9AVCaTob3g

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
First time playing morrowind I created my character, went through the tutorial, answered the questions and ran a little bit of the way through town. Told a guy I did not have a ring and entered a building to try to find it. Accidentally picked up a lantern and got murdered on some stairs by a lady in a robe.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

theblackw0lf posted:

If I understand correctly to play FFXIV I need to install some steam version on the Deck's internal memory correct? So if I have the 64gig version I'm SOL? From what I remember FFVIX is pretty massive. (though that might be because of all the expansion I have, maybe the trial version is a lot smaller).

Follow the instructions from the XIVLauncher, I believe you don't have to do that anymore and it can all be done on an SD.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

VideoGames posted:

First time playing morrowind I created my character, went through the tutorial, answered the questions and ran a little bit of the way through town. Told a guy I did not have a ring and entered a building to try to find it. Accidentally picked up a lantern and got murdered on some stairs by a lady in a robe.

It's a living breathing world.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

It doesn't matter where you install it and also the Steam version you install is like 40MB because its just the updater, not like you're installing it twice if you're playing the non-steam version.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

homeless snail posted:

It doesn't matter where you install it and also the Steam version you install is like 40MB because its just the updater, not like you're installing it twice if you're playing the non-steam version.

Oh that makes sense. Good to know.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

hell yeah

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Commander Keene posted:

Just gonna save this.

Post it to the wiki at goondeckwiki.com

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd want to have personally tested anything I put up on a wiki for everyone to see.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Open up desktop, open a terminal, then type ‘sudo rm -rf /‘ to make your deck faster, put that on the wiki.

(please do not do this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have Genshin Impact working via GeForce Now with some real finagling.

I had to, basically, use an extension called Vytal to spoof that it's not on Linux because GeForce Now uses a deeper User Agent checking mechanism. Then I launch into GeForce Now in the normal kiosk mode, but make sure to click the "supported browsers" page because every time I launch it, it thinks I'm not using Chrome. Then I select the Chrome option on the bottom of the supported browsers page and everything works just fine.

You see, GeForce Now has, I guess, set up stupid restrictions such that certain games aren't playable on Linux or in certain browsers. So you would use a normal UA switcher to easily say your browser is connecting from a Windows PC. But, unfortunately, that's not enough, and checks a deeper version of your UA. Vytal, somehow, changes the UA string to be changed on the deeper level but it doesn't persist between sessions so when you load back into GFN it doesn't know what in the world is going on. Going into the 'supported browsers' page, and selecting the 'launch in chrome' option lets Vytal change your UA on a deeper level and GFN doesn't ask anymore questions.

I don't even play this game, I just wanted to be able to.