Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

zoux posted:

Also extremely pretentious literary titles

"Whomst Dies for A Day in Eden"

They tried this with Disco. Seriously, there’s a season one episode called “the butcher’s knife cares naught for the lamb’s cry” or some poo poo. But nobody cared because 1) disco 2) they didn’t even show you the name, you have to go look it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also because it's all arc they all blend together so nobody remembers single episodes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i dont know what anyone means by prestige tv anymore

maybe i never did. is it just a show up its own rear end, some good some bad

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
“Prestige tv” is a mostly meaningless catch-all complaint by now

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think if you had to pin a definition on it, it's probably more about what it's not than what it is. It's not 26-episode seasons. It's not on broadcast television. Episodes aren't self-contained storylines, but rather one single all-encompassing season-long story.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

“Prestige tv” is a mostly meaningless catch-all complaint by now

No, it's just a way of describing short-run serialised TV shows, it's something that never should have been fixed up with Star Trek but that's on the industry and not the people describing it

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

I think if you had to pin a definition on it, it's probably more about what it's not than what it is. It's not 26-episode seasons. It's not on broadcast television. Episodes aren't self-contained storylines, but rather one single all-encompassing season-long story.

also more expensive than average.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Like most secondary genre descriptors, it made sense for the first few examples of it, then made less and less sense as more people did it. But it still has its distinct trademarks even if they are no longer particularly "prestigious". The main thing is that it's divorced from the traditional seasonal schedule: 24-ish episodes every year starting in autumn, with only a handful of episodes produced before the season begins airing. All the other stuff kind of flows out of that, including the increased confidence in their ability to develop a season-long arc... a confidence which is often misplaced.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Matalas is starting to lose it...

Yes Star Trek fans are famous for lack of nitpicking, throughout history

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

There was a bullshit rumor going around about 5 years ago that Alex Kurtzman ripped a 70" TV off a wall and threw it across the room in a fit of rage because some nobody made a YouTube video about how bad he sucked at making Star Trek.

Terry Matalas seems like the kind of guy who actually WOULD do that for real.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TVs aren't nearly as heavy these days

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Given how Alex Kurtzman has failed so hard upwards if he sees any of those videos he probably laughs all the way to the bank

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

Given how Alex Kurtzman has failed so hard upwards if he sees any of those videos he probably laughs all the way to the bank

Seriously, if THIS GUY made a video about me ranting about how I was somehow a loser, and I ran loving Star Trek, I don't think I'd ever stop laughing.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

nine-gear crow posted:

According to Memory Alpha the new ESD is referred to as "Probert Station".

I guess now the only unaccounted for Enterprises are the fates of the Enterprise-B and the Enterprise-E then.

Enterprise B was flown backwards into a black hole trying to roll the odometer back.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Matalas was born in New Jersey in 1975. I guess he wasn't content with M'Talas Prime as a self-insert...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

zoux posted:

Hahahaha I only saw the brief twitter post in the other thread, I had no idea it was a whole insane rant

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Famously laid back fanbase:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

cenotaph posted:

Famously laid back fanbase:

I so would ahve bought this book when I was 10 and I'm so glad I never saw it now

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I absolutely had that book, and read and re-read it.

I will say that the kind of nitpicking they do in those books is much more goodnatured than it is nowadays. I never got the sense that the authors were in anyway complaining

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 24, 2023

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

No Dignity posted:

I so would ahve bought this book when I was 10 and I'm so glad I never saw it now

Someone got it for me around that age. I read it but I just didn't care about all that stuff too much and kept spending more time with the ST Encyclopedia.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Did anybody else have those unauthorized parodies where the various ships had cups of coffee for bridge modules on the cover of the book

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tighclops posted:

Did anybody else have those unauthorized parodies where the various ships had cups of coffee for bridge modules on the cover of the book

I read this one. Literally all I remember is the joke that the ship consisted of two large modules, the Saucer Section and the Cup Section.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
God that’s so lazy

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

I read this one. Literally all I remember is the joke that the ship consisted of two large modules, the Saucer Section and the Cup Section.

I had a different one with DS9 (featuring a whole coffee set) and all I can remember is that Data was trying to date Troi, who was from Milwaukee.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

Laughing again at the Matalas tweet where he threatened to keep tweeting until someone hired him again.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Matalas was born in New Jersey in 1975. I guess he wasn't content with M'Talas Prime as a self-insert...

I was wondering where the gently caress New Jersey came from

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I was wondering where the gently caress New Jersey came from

It’s also one of the surviving WW2-era Iowa-class battleships and a museum, so there’s precedent.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s also one of the surviving WW2-era Iowa-class battleships and a museum, so there’s precedent.

Incidentally, the USS New Jersey museum has a YouTube channel that posts a LOT of cool videos about ships, mostly their own but they visit other museum ships too. Totally a pro subscribe if you're at all into ships.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

On the upside, they canonised the NX-01 refit.

This alone makes the PIC S3 head and shoulders above the previous PIC seasons. It also implies that the production notes for ENT Season 5 might could be canon, except for the parts that aren't. This, by association, would also include the Rihannsu books about Romulans.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Computer: Fresca, hot

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Speaking of books, I have the star trek chronology book from like 1993 or so. Was there ever an updated version? Something that ended around the end of voyager? I kinda sorta liked didn't hate voyager, but never really got in to enterprise, and don't have any desire to, same with the jj trek movies and now nu trek.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

zoux posted:

I absolutely had that book, and read and re-read it.

I will say that the kind of nitpicking they do in those books is much more goodnatured than it is nowadays. I never got the sense that the authors were in anyway complaining

All the books are is good-humoured about the whole thing - the author makes a point at the start that this is all a bit of fun, and no-one should be getting angry or using the nitpicking as an attack on the show.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I haven't watched the PIC S3 yet, I am waiting until its completely out, but in my books it seems that they at least lean into the Good Stuff from the canon-adjacent (more popular STO ships and items, arguably the more popular story elements from STO, ENT S5 production notes...) than just making GBS threads all over it and redesigning stuff on a whim like DISCO did. They at least take the effort to try to make the show part of the Star Trek storyline.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Not really. It's the lightest of all window dressings. It's like they went through an imgur album of someone's favorite Star Trek moments and just included the things they saw with no context

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Picard seems so busy throwing random characters from older - and better - series while wink-wink-nudging the audience that I wonder how they have time to tell new stories.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Powered Descent posted:

My favorite part of this book is when they get on a turbolift and wind this story about something that happened on a deck, and so the turbolift begins taking them to that deck, and then an argument begins about where specifically they were when this thing happened, and the turbolift starts moving them all over the place because multiple people are spouting off different locations. It made you realize why TOS made you hold onto the handle when you gave your destination.

Anyway, Picard S3 deciding to cloak a Fed starship and the Defiant II being at the museum shows just how dumb it was for DS9 to blow up the original Defiant and then roll out an identical copy.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 25, 2023

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

CainFortea posted:

Not really. It's the lightest of all window dressings. It's like they went through an imgur album of someone's favorite Star Trek moments and just included the things they saw with no context

It really felt like they went to the Star Trek museum in an episode of Star Trek...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Penitent posted:

It really felt like they went to the Star Trek museum in an episode of Star Trek...

They did that in lower decks

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Craptacular! posted:

Anyway, Picard S3 deciding to cloak a Fed starship and the Defiant II being at the museum shows just how dumb it was for DS9 to blow up the original Defiant and then roll out an identical copy.

that was to establish the breen as being more dangerous than the jem'hadar though, who were already shown to have been able to easily take out a galaxy class ship. if you follow the show's logic for the defiant class existing then the breen were also more dangerous than the borg

so in context i think it worked, plus i also don't think they really intended for the defiant to show up again outside of DS9. it doesn't really have the same reverence that an enterprise does, even among star trek fans (as far as i can tell, anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Penitent posted:

Like, okay this is a nitpick that deserves to be in one of the books but it leapt out at me as a way to highlight this thing.

In S3E1 Picard pulls out the ressikan flute from the Inner Light episode. It's one of the very best episodes of TNG. Even decades later it still makes me all misty eyed. It's a very popular episode. In fact the flute from that episode sold for $48,000 at auction. It was one of the highest priced items from TNG, and as far as I can see the only things that beat it out were ship models.

Clearly they knew about the flute being this big deal so they had to have it in their show.

But since it was sold, they had to make a new one.

But it looks like they made it based off someone's description of what they remembered it looked like. They didn't even just....look at the episode!

And it's not complicated. It's totally non-functional. They just needed some vaguely tube-ey shaped things and a bit of machining.