Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DancingShade posted:

Look up the price of some Omegas. Macron was practically wearing a poor mans entry level luxury watch. A daily beater.

Whether he was wearing a very expensive watch or not doesn't matter while his suit probably cost more anyway. He should have worn a slightly crumpled white shirt with a slightly loose tie and rolled up sleeves, and the cheapest casio digital watch.

Watches are loving insane, anything in the $300+ range is just total nonsense

It's just a matter of the degree of the nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the only watch anyone needs is one of those calculator watches so u arent limited by your feeble 10 digits

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

the internet was a commons, and then they enclosed it

Sheep NFTs are the future

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

gradenko_2000 posted:

the digital frontier was just that. and it was colonized effectively

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

It sucked mightily during the pandemic if you had a problem with the IRS or the SSA or any of the other legacy government systems in which "people have to be in the office to get these computers to talk to each other" so poo poo got put on hold for two years. :mad:

the IRS uses COBOL systems from the 60s still lol

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Vox Nihili posted:

watch people are loving nuts. It's definitely something ill never comprehend.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
they're called complications, idiots

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vox Nihili posted:

It's basically all about peacocking.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

DancingShade posted:

It's basically all about peacocking.

And literally no one but ppl with 10k watched will understand. At least people know what an expensive car looks like

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

anime was right posted:

And literally no one but ppl with 10k watched will understand. At least people know what an expensive car looks like

Peacocking for people who talk about their yachts at the yacht club over a surf n' turf.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

modern peacocking is dull as piss. i want rich men to wear big elaborate robes and/or codpieces

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

a strange fowl posted:

modern peacocking is dull as piss. i want rich men to wear big elaborate robes and/or codpieces

I know just what you mean. We need more codpieces in modern wardrobes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5A55eWbiBI

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’m somehow not surprised that history is being privatised

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1639069777623654400

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lol borrowing money to buy an NFT and then destroying it

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1639462070923190272?s=20

elsewhere in crypto South Korea police confirmed the identity of Do Kwon, after his fingerprints matched official records. he's facing forgery charges in Montenegro and also awaiting legal proceedings for extradition to both South Korea, where he faces charges for fraud and breaches of South Korea’s capital markets law, and New York to face recently-filed charges. From web3 is going great:

quote:

federal prosecutors in New York filed eight criminal charges against him: conspiracy to defraud, conspiracy to defraud and engage in market manipulation, and two counts each of commodities fraud, securities fraud, and wire fraud. Prosecutors accuse Kwon of defrauding people by selling LUNA and UST (Terra) based on false claims about the technology, degree of adoption, and effectiveness of the algorithm intended to maintain Terra's stability.

The criminal charges out of the US add to civil charges he's facing from the SEC, as well as an investigation out of South Korea.

perp walk

https://twitter.com/AltcoinDailyio/status/1639316282221932545

this rules

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Clickbaity headline.

quote:

Exxon Mobil said in December that it had closed the sale of its operations Chad and Cameroon to London-listed Savannah Energy (SAVES.L) in a $407 million deal, but the Chadian government contested the agreement, saying the final terms were different from what Exxon Mobil had presented.

It warned that it may ask courts to block Savannah's purchase of Exxon's assets in the country and take further steps to protect its interests.

https://www.savannah-energy.com/about/history/

The most colonial of British energy companies lol

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

What utter Chads

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Better be careful Chad, the British might sail down their unarmed aircraft carrier. Which will have fuel from the... oh.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

DancingShade posted:

Clickbaity headline.

lol that's egregious

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Gildiss posted:

Oompa Loompa, do-ba-dee-dest,
You denied my vacation request

:popeye:

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

Vox Nihili posted:

A local real estate agent was robbed at gunpoint when leaving work recently, the robber was specifically demanding his watch so it was probably planned.

It was a 40 000 dollar watch lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Xaris posted:

admittingly yes you're right, but it's hard to describe the nuances. police are weapons of the ruling elite, but they also can act in their own interest because they like to flex and beat some people. this was mostly a case of cops liking busting some people up yelling about em because their feelings were hurt. In this case the ruling elite were never actually scared of BLM, they were quite secure and some even went along with it (for appearances only), even NPR coverage was mostly "pro" (at least in the liberal sense of token racism) whereas it was very negative on OWS. This unfolded that way because there was not a significant class component to the protests (although there should have been) and the framing was largely one of racism/bad apples rather than exploitation and rich-getting-richer.

blm were largely over in like under a month besides some token sideshow thing like CHOP, whereas OWS went on for closer to a year (although the energy was gone by the tail-end). but yes they were both failures overall.

Eh. Wouldn't really say that. OWS was taken down by an organized assault of the DHS while the media was only talking about annoying drum circles, with BLM an incredible number of people were gassed and beaten by the police while the media pretended that BLM is actually an NGO that raises awareness and funds, that you can give money to in order to absolve yourself of your sins. It's not that different though one is longer ago than the other so the official position has had more time to replace what actually happened in the public consciousness.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bot 02 posted:

A local real estate agent was robbed at gunpoint when leaving work recently, the robber was specifically demanding his watch so it was probably planned.

It was a 40 000 dollar watch lol

California? I've heard many stories of similar from there.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

genericnick posted:

Eh. Wouldn't really say that. OWS was taken down by an organized assault of the DHS while the media was only talking about annoying drum circles, with BLM an incredible number of people were gassed and beaten by the police while the media pretended that BLM is actually an NGO that raises awareness and funds, that you can give money to in order to absolve yourself of your sins. It's not that different though one is longer ago than the other so the official position has had more time to replace what actually happened in the public consciousness.

My wife and I took a walking tour through NYC one time. The tour guide turned out to be former NYPD, and when we got to Zucotti Park he told us it was the site of the famous Occupy protest, which ended when the weather turned cold and the protesters all went home to their mother's basements.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

sugar dust i assume

It's just the CIA trying to build their case that Ukraine's chocolate king blew up Northstream.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

genericnick posted:

It's just the CIA trying to build their case that Ukraine's chocolate king blew up Northstream.

Russia did it

To show they could blow up other chocolate factories

If they wanted to

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
lol i just got a notice from my bank that their savings account (not CD) rate is now up to 4%.

just lmao. The only restriction is number of transactions per month.

this is normal right? a completely reasonable thing to expect.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

The first man who, having enclosed a piece of ground, bethought himself of saying "This is mine", and found people simple enough to believe him, was the real founder of civil society. From how many crimes, wars and murders, from how many horrors and misfortunes might not any one have saved mankind, by pulling up the stakes, or filling up the ditch, and crying to his fellows, "Beware of listening to this impostor; you are undone if you once forget that the fruits of the earth belong to us all, and the earth itself to nobody."

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

There is a viable alternative to the problems raised by Bill Gates in his irate letter to computer hobbyists concerning "ripping off" software. When software is free, or so inexpensive that it's easier to pay for it than to duplicate it, then it won't be "stolen".

—Jim Warren, July 1976

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
I need to calibrate my posting - do we all hate copyright lawyers / law / capitalist intellectual property rights again?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
what do you mean again

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

what do you mean again

anti-AI posters love Intellectual Property, they love to suck off the concept of IP

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Can't handle a little contradiction?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Cuttlefush posted:

what do you mean again

It’s my fault

I pretended to love copywrite law on here to try get good pussy but that’s all behind me now

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

Can't handle a little contradiction?

the anti-AI crew can't, no

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Cuttlefush posted:

what do you mean again

for a bit there whenever generative art made the news it felt like a lot of people were cheering those things on and pushing for things like the conception of IP where a creator can sue you for framing a picture in a way unflattering to the work

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mirthless posted:

I think it only applies to their online book lending feature fwiw but i think the internet archives days are probably numbered regardless tbh

The internet in general sucks now. Thanks capitalism!

Just like The Trove before it, it'll have to go to some decentralized system where people can happily upload viruses into the file sharing.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Clickbaity headline.

Still a pretty bold move considering America has invaded countries for less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I remember in school someone had one of those Casio watches that had like a tuner in it or something and used it turn repeatedly turn on the classroom TV to annoy the teacher.