Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rectal Death Adept posted:

its 2023, we should quit acting like this stuff is myth and legend when it's posted in this actual thread

the California small claims court damage limit is $10,000

Goon sued for their rightful damages and the landlord made up a giant number to countersue with that equates to $10,000

the result of this was a judgement that neither party gets their way except for the goon paying the landlord $300 in court fees and stuff

if this is appealed it goes back to a different judge who re-decides on the damages to be awarded. If this judge decides the landlord is correct in wanting $14,000+ they can award them $10,000. The $300 has to be paid no matter what. $10,300.

Yes. Also people who don't understand the fundamentals you just clearly explained are giving ad-hoc emotional based "legal advice".

Let us sit back and watch what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

PoundSand posted:

tbh it's kind of surprising more tech people haven't done that. People talk a big game about how city life gives them so much more access to x/y/z and they're not wrong but do most of em actually utilize it? Is some microsoft computer toucher really crawling bars on cap hill , hitting up live performances, reveling in the arts and culture available? Or are they just wfh/commuting to wherever in the GSA they could get property for a bit cheaper and living almost identically to people from smaller cities, putting all their fun money into deliveries and downloads. I grew up in and live a couple hours from seattle and could if I felt like it just take a long weekend there with the wife once in a while and that'd still be more engagement with the city proper than most of my friends who still live there. The person that truly takes advantage of metro life like it's some sort of sitcom feels like a unicorn, you don't have the money when you have the youth and you don't have the youth when you have the money.

My brother works for a major tech company and has been wfh for years and finally just pulled the trigger on moving and buying a house cause it's not like he used the city he lived in much anyways and the absurd rent was just pissing away money. It seems like the natural move for the bulk of people.

I can't speak for everyone but when I lived in New Haven there was plenty of engagement for myself and people I knew. Rent was cheap and this was the halcyon days of pre covid and I was going to tons of local concerts, enjoyed the parks and woods, and had easy access to NYC. 35 bucks or so for a round trip ticket to spend the day in the city and see a show or visit a musem and see friends, and then come back at 1 in the morning or crash on a couch and come back the day after. I wasn't making a lot of money by any means, but wasn't poor either, about 45k a year. Now a lot of "city engagement" is driven by alcohol consumption and that's a point worth making. And to be fair I'm still a goon and probably spent more of my time staring at the computer at home but just remember going out and doing stuff more clearly

I do think it's gotten a lot harder post 2020 with how prices have spiraled and the whole deadly pandemic thing. And seattle was already expensive before all this has gotten worse. I live about 90 min away don't find it particularly easy to get around there either, but only go up for weekends or work sometimes right now.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

thalweg posted:

. Now a lot of "city engagement" is driven by alcohol consumption and that's a point worth making. And to be fair I'm still a goon and probably spent more of my time staring at the computer at home but just remember going out and doing stuff more clearly

I do think it's gotten a lot harder post 2020 with how prices have spiraled and the whole deadly pandemic thing. And seattle was already expensive before all this has gotten worse. I live about 90 min away don't find it particularly easy to get around there either, but only go up for weekends or work sometimes right now.
yeah most people's idea of "going out" is just drinking. which is fine. but if you aren't into spending $20 on bespoke gin-n-tonic shots racking up a tab of $200+ every night, then... well.... now even eating out simple thai food for 2 people at a cheaper "street-food" type place still runs close to 80 now. there's still some good local theater but even then theater tickets, even for a small local production, is like $200-$300 for 2.

downtown sf/oakland has really died hard and hasn't really recovered. public transit is still like 1/4th of 2019 levels which is massive. traffic is worse than pre-pandemic despite layoffs.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

canceling my SF/Seattle/Williamsburg lease and moving into one of these to fully embrace the WFFE lifestyle

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lol

https://twitter.com/middleeast/status/1640234044838297601https://twitter.com/middleeast/status/1640245662489931778

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The personal reason being that MBS is about to have his head detached from his body. Considering they lost about $1.2bn thanks to that one careless statement on Bloomberg

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

anime was right posted:

abq has a pretty low murder rate for a city and a really high theft rate which is really funny. its the most "crime ridden city" in the US entirely off addicts just jacking poo poo

Ya gotta be careful about making sarcastic remarks or unwise orders at the donut shop though

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i am harry posted:

nobody wears a loving watch you moron

i wear a watch.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i also wear a watch

it's a handy way to check the time without being hypnotised by the demon box that is my smart phone

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

forkboy84 posted:

The personal reason being that MBS is about to have his head detached from his body. Considering they lost about $1.2bn thanks to that one careless statement on Bloomberg

MBS looking at the bank chairs body "Guess who slumped bro"

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

i also wear a watch

it's a handy way to check the time without being hypnotised by the demon box that is my smart phone

abhor the smartphone.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

V. Illych L. posted:

i also wear a watch

time and space have no meaning, only through The Number can you find glory

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

i am harry posted:

nobody wears a loving watch you moron

excuse me but how else am I supposed to measure my HRV to optimize workout recovery or monitor the cycling cadence on my commutes

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

V. Illych L. posted:

i also wear a watch

the measure of time is a capitalist pastime and possibly heretical.

quote:

quote:

Keep up a high esteem of time and be every day more careful that you lose none of your time, than you are that you lose none of your gold and silver. And if vain recreation, dressings, feastings, idle talk, unprofitable company, or sleep be any of them temptations to rob you of any of your time, accordingly heighten your watchfulness.
“Those that are prodigal of their time despise their own souls” says Matthew Henry (“Worth of the Soul,” Works of the Puritan Divines, p. 315). Protestant asceticism is moving also here in its old tried and proven pathway. Today we are accustomed to observe that the modern professional “has no time” and to measure (as did even Goethe in his Wilhelm Meister’s Years of Travel) the degree of capitalist development according to whether the clocks strike every quarter hour (as Sombart notes in his Der moderne Kapitalismus)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

Thou dost slander the one true faith with doubt and false words? May number strike ye down ye heretical wretch! Brothers rouse the villagers, we have an unbeliever before us whose flesh must be tested true by the short term high yield bonfires of belief.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

watches were the original smartphones. hosed up.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Radirot posted:

what amazing bargains are you getting elsewhere. Target? Costco?

Lol a real walmartstan. I didn't think they were real among goons.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

is this the thing you say to friends when they ask you why you're a half hour late to something

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1640298181526278146?t=K88pc-Th7iRChMoYcgbmnw&s=19

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

Yes. Also people who don't understand the fundamentals you just clearly explained are giving ad-hoc emotional based "legal advice".

Let us sit back and watch what happens.

yeah, I never claimed goon shouldn't appeal just that it's a diceroll with our legal system

You could win based off of your haircut reminding them of someone or lose if you wear glasses that they think you are wearing to "look smart in court." The facts might prevail or they might not.

It's not a slam dunk if a single person is allowed to enforce their opinion and any biases they have. The first judge already completely ignored the actual laws and gave the landlord who is objectively in the wrong a symbolic victory with the court costs so it's not like that is impossible a second time.

I'd still side with the lawyer giving actual legal advice though. Usually the more confident and sure goons are about something the more incorrect they are about it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=powBr8Hobbk

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
God forbid I get exploited by the large bank instead of the small regional bank!

All just Warren-ite "capitalism is fundamentally good but needs to play by the fair rules!" cope

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

A Bakers Cousin posted:

yeah mountain lions dont seem like the "take them lightly" kind of animal

edit: I think the lion part is a good clue tbh

Just gotta walk around with a mask of a face strapped to the back of your head 100% of the time so the mountain lion thinks you are watching it and won't attack you like those guys in India did to avoid getting eaten by tigers.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Walmart is garbage. make some real money and buy poo poo anywhere else.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Number not going down today. Very sad

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Nonsense posted:

Walmart is garbage. make some real money and buy poo poo anywhere else.

Yeah, like it's just simple like that! Just stop being poor and you can buy better stuff

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

NeonPunk posted:

Yeah, like it's just simple like that! Just stop being poor and you can buy better stuff

stop being poor?

but noble are the poor, for they have given all that they have to number.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It’s time to admit the United States is the greatest nation in history.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Nonsense posted:

It’s time to admit the United States is the greatest nation in history.

history, like playtime, is over

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Finally, a landlord doing the right thing for once

https://twitter.com/damienredicamn1/status/1640103651002789890

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Cuttlefush posted:

I thought the latex finisher was just }

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

mawarannahr posted:

But wearing a watch allows the worker to challenge the capitalist's version of time, which was often manipulated in a factory setting.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The town I grew up in is currently getting murdered on home prices too -it's a three hour drive from Philly.

Hello Mr. President

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

PeakAutism posted:

mod edit: no

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

PeakAutism posted:

if the court accepts your case*

He must have won a settlement once to have all this account regging money.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Shipon posted:

God forbid I get exploited by the large bank instead of the small regional bank!

All just Warren-ite "capitalism is fundamentally good but needs to play by the fair rules!" cope

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

depositing all of my hard earned fiat into my local mom and pop bank to help slow this tragic decline

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

Just gotta walk around with a mask of a face strapped to the back of your head 100% of the time so the mountain lion thinks you are watching it and won't attack you like those guys in India did to avoid getting eaten by tigers.
https://i.imgur.com/jfptMVF.mp4

I always wear my Necromonger Lord Marshal cosplay gear when going outside as any sane goon would do. It took some work but I've also integrated the 3M 7800s full face respirator into it to deal with bio threats from humans and deer.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

punished milkman posted:

depositing all of my hard earned fiat into my local mom and pop bank to help slow this tragic decline

You can give me all your money, I'll keep it safe under my mattress for you.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

FlapYoJacks posted:

I’ll still run it by our lawyer. Because he can’t legally represent us in court in California, his fees were upfront and one time only. He’s not in it for extra cash monies.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the rules of small claims court in California forbid having external counsel (which is probably smart for keeping disputes from getting too expensive, but probably stupid for getting good outcomes because you're expecting pro se parties to approach proceedings without knowledge and stay within the requirements of the law).

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 14:41 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I think you did the right thing by just walking away, though. $300 for not having to litigate something out with a crazy person is the kind of annoying, but worthwhile expense that our world imposes on adults.