Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

OTG USB C plugs are pretty cheap, just get one of those and plug a USB there (or use a USB hub if you already own one)

If you want to spend zero money then SFTP is good enough for basic file transfer, as someone else said earlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I tried a couple other games on the Deck today/yesterday:

Witcher 3: This one didn't run so well. I have trouble tolerating a game like this at <60fps, and I was getting a very unstable 35-50. I think I'd have to turn down the resolution to get it to run better.

Warframe: This ran extremely well (Warframe in general seems to be very easy to run despite looking very pretty). Looking/aiming sensitivity was really messed up though; I had to turn them almost all the way down to make things playable. Might be easier to focus on melee while playing with the Deck. It's a bit annoying having to press R1 to use skills (since pressing the shoulder buttons regularly is a bit uncomfortable); I might need to remap some stuff differently.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ytlaya posted:

I tried a couple other games on the Deck today/yesterday:

Witcher 3: This one didn't run so well. I have trouble tolerating a game like this at <60fps, and I was getting a very unstable 35-50. I think I'd have to turn down the resolution to get it to run better.

With cryo installed I'm getting a solid 60 at native without any AA and everything else on High except for the shadows (medium) and Hairworks (which is off).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fuzz posted:

With cryo installed I'm getting a solid 60 at native without any AA and everything else on High except for the shadows (medium) and Hairworks (which is off).

Weird, I'm also using cryo. Maybe the AA is just making it take a giant hit to performance? I've tried FSR at Ultra Performance and FXAA (both performed similarly).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

AA is a huge performance hit, I just turn it off entirely if I'm playing handheld.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The screen is such low resolution I barely notice if it's on or off and with such a significant power/performance hit, it's one of my first things to turn off.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Majin posted:

I just add them to a USB stick on my PC then plug the stick into my Deck and drag them into the relevant rom folder

I too thought that Windows and Linux flash drives wouldn't be able to be read in each system... and downloaded some ftp program because I couldn't get the goon wiki instructions to work. :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ytlaya posted:

Warframe: This ran extremely well (Warframe in general seems to be very easy to run despite looking very pretty). Looking/aiming sensitivity was really messed up though; I had to turn them almost all the way down to make things playable. Might be easier to focus on melee while playing with the Deck. It's a bit annoying having to press R1 to use skills (since pressing the shoulder buttons regularly is a bit uncomfortable); I might need to remap some stuff differently.

aw poo poo, now I want to try Warframe again

ninja: I find the back triggers to be excellent shoulder-button substitutes, fwiw

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Baldur’s Gate 3 really does not like you trying to use the steam friends list and has crashed my deck 2 out of the 3 times I’ve tried.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I tried Witcher 3 with all AA off (and literally everything else off or turned to low) and still just get ~45-50fps even in a small town.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Ytlaya posted:

I did set the launch option (though shouldn't it also be possible to just go into settings and point it to the folder there as well?). When you install games, are you doing so by launching B.net through the "Steam mode" or through Desktop mode? It doesn't seem like the latter carries over the former for some reason, even when you tell it to scan for games where you installed them in Desktop mode.

How do you deal with controls? Do you manually rebind keyboard keys to buttons? Do you use the touch pads to select enemies (etc)? I feel like some classes might be easier than others; Necromancer selecting corpses to explode might be obnoxious without a mouse.

Also, I'm guessing it's being played through the main interface instead of Desktop mode (might be obvious, but if everyone is playing in Desktop Mode that could explain the confusion)?

edit: Basically when I load B.Net in Steam Mode, there's just no option to install games. Setting the launch option didn't seem to change this.

One other question - is Proton GE good for compatibility mode, or should I be using something else?

I installed battlenet through desktop mode, then added battlenet (with the redirect string in launch options) to steam as a non steam game. From there it's all in normal deck mode.

I only played rogue and necro... Necro was completely intuitive with the basic default controls though. Including summoning skellies and corpseploding. And of course rogue plays like an action game so was perfect with controls too.

I was using the battlenet proton ge mode.

https://overkill.wtf/how-to-install...e%20to%20Steam. That's the guide I used. And had the no install option thing too until I read further and added the launch options string / created a battlenet folder on my SD card.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Got my deck today, very cool. Can’t wait to try hacking around with it and popping in a bigger ssd at some point.

Number one on the agenda is xbox cloud playing, then looking into some emulation stuff.

What games are good with those trackpad like things? RTSes?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

priznat posted:

Got my deck today, very cool. Can’t wait to try hacking around with it and popping in a bigger ssd at some point.

Number one on the agenda is xbox cloud playing, then looking into some emulation stuff.

They're great with RimWorld - I never would've believed such a kb/mouse game could be so comfortable on a handheld console. (If you like sleep though, playing RimWorld in bed is not an effective strategy)

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Ytlaya posted:

So I tried Witcher 3 with all AA off (and literally everything else off or turned to low) and still just get ~45-50fps even in a small town.

I haven't tried Witcher 3 on Steam Deck yet, but on a Windows PC if you use DirectX 12 it runs like rear end. Try switching to DX11.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

.Ataraxia. posted:

I haven't tried Witcher 3 on Steam Deck yet, but on a Windows PC if you use DirectX 12 it runs like rear end. Try switching to DX11.

This and are you running it on your m.2 drive or are you trying to run it off your SD?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ace Combat 7 is so loving good on the Deck

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Masonity posted:

I installed battlenet through desktop mode, then added battlenet (with the redirect string in launch options) to steam as a non steam game. From there it's all in normal deck mode.

I only played rogue and necro... Necro was completely intuitive with the basic default controls though. Including summoning skellies and corpseploding. And of course rogue plays like an action game so was perfect with controls too.

I was using the battlenet proton ge mode.

https://overkill.wtf/how-to-install...e%20to%20Steam. That's the guide I used. And had the no install option thing too until I read further and added the launch options string / created a battlenet folder on my SD card.

I followed a guide similar to this. The one difference I notice after looking at this guide (that I'll experiment with later) is that I pointed STEAM_COMPAT_MOUNTS to the directory I created on the SD card, instead of the directory above that. So I had
code:
STEAM_COMPAT_MOUNTS=/run/media/mmcblk0p1/Battle.net/ %command%
instead of
code:
STEAM_COMPAT_MOUNTS=/run/media/mmcblk0p1/ %command%
Hopefully that ends up being the problem.

Fuzz posted:

This and are you running it on your m.2 drive or are you trying to run it off your SD?

I'm using both DX12 and the SD; I'll try changing the former first.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 28, 2023

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

I'm using both DX12 and the SD; I'll try changing the former first.

Gonna post it again since people don't seem to be reading the install notes on it:

Cryotools only works if you install the game on your m.2

This is part of why it actually works to improve performance, because of the way it uses the swap file and the data transfer speed as a backup buffer for your (larger) VRAM. The video I linked earlier made by the creator of the tools explains how every single thing works in great detail, and why you need to be installing anything you want to really benefit from Cryo on the m.2.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

priznat posted:

Any FPS.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Also any point and click adventure game.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Fuzz posted:

So, the video says the swap file has to go on NVMe (or eMMC I guess) and not on microSD, but I don't think that applies to game data. The FAQ page says this:

FAQ posted:

Do the swap changes work for all games?
Yes, they work for any program on SteamOS loaded from any location. That means that even Google Chrome installed on an external hard drive would benefit from these changes (If the trigger conditions are met).
That said, I would totally believe that in an open-world game, with on-the-fly loading, that storage performance might be the final thing to boost frame rate once CPU/GPU-related latencies are ironed out.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My Steamdeck is here. Still have to work, so I charged it, booted it, updated steam and put it away again.

Of course not before I sniffed the vent...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hopper posted:

My Steamdeck is here. Still have to work, so I charged it, booted it, updated steam and put it away again.

Of course not before I sniffed the vent...

May the ventsmell carry you through the day

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

sigher posted:

Any FPS.

I tried exactly one round of TF2 and it was okay. Any particular tips for FPS trackpad stuff?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

I tried exactly one round of TF2 and it was okay. Any particular tips for FPS trackpad stuff?

Set the right trackpad to mouse (trackball mode, medium friction) so you can flick and tap for quick turns and stops; you then do larger, sweeping aiming by running your thumb over the trackpad when you're pointing in broadly the right direction. You should also enable gyro when touching the trackpad to let you do fine aiming adjustments.

Valve recommends setting the in-game mouse sensitivity way down then adjusting the trackpads and gyro to your liking as it gives the hardware more accuracy to work with.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 28, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I got the xbox cloud going and the biggest hassle was entering the text in the steam desktop, ended up plugging in a hub and using a keyboard. Is there a remote desktop setup that can be ran when in desktop mode? Steam link seems to poop out when it goes into desktop mode.

I assume there is there seem to be a ton of installable apps in the desktop but just if there is a recommended one that'd be great.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

I got the xbox cloud going and the biggest hassle was entering the text in the steam desktop, ended up plugging in a hub and using a keyboard.

Yeah same. Trying to enter text is just frustrating sometimes. It’s just easier to grab a keyboard and do it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah same. Trying to enter text is just frustrating sometimes. It’s just easier to grab a keyboard and do it.

yeah it wasn't even the entering text it was the keyboard covers up what I was trying to enter and it was really quite the annoying experience trying to get the mouse cursor over it to drag a window around.. just a bit rough around the edges there!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

priznat posted:

I got the xbox cloud going and the biggest hassle was entering the text in the steam desktop, ended up plugging in a hub and using a keyboard. Is there a remote desktop setup that can be ran when in desktop mode? Steam link seems to poop out when it goes into desktop mode.

I assume there is there seem to be a ton of installable apps in the desktop but just if there is a recommended one that'd be great.

Anydesk is fine but there’s a million different choices people will
also suggest

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

priznat posted:

AnyDesk is in Discover and there's a flatpack installation for TeamViewer. Either of these is fine.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Cheers, anydesk works well and is remarkably easy compared to the old remote desktop apps I've used in the past

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nice

https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1640724342815305730?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Got my clurple JSAUX shell in today. The install kit was great, the shell quality is good, and it fixed the squeaky spot I had by the right shoulder buttons. A+.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Anyone have clever ways to hold the deck up while on the couch or in bed? I don't mind holding it as designed but my partner's hands are quite small and it's just a lorge boy. She's much happier setting it on something and playing with a PS4 controller.

I thought one of those tablet stand/holder things would work:

But the clamp is just slightly too small for either dimension of the deck. I thought for sure someone would have released a ball-joint clamp that works with the steam deck but I guess not? Any ideas?

Fake edit: looks like the deck mate is my solution. Just buy one of their universal pucks and stick it to the holder I already have, somewhere where it doesn't mess with using it with a tablet.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Tiny Timbs posted:

Got my clurple JSAUX shell in today. The install kit was great, the shell quality is good, and it fixed the squeaky spot I had by the right shoulder buttons. A+.

Neat, mine should be getting here tomorrow or Thursday. I went with the green which thankfully looks like a good blue-green in the JerryRigEverything video. Also going from 256GB to 1TB. My SD card isn't too happy with some titles.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Did you change the back buttons? I’m kinda tempted to get the new shell just for better back buttons.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

tuyop posted:

Anyone have clever ways to hold the deck up while on the couch or in bed? I don't mind holding it as designed but my partner's hands are quite small and it's just a lorge boy. She's much happier setting it on something and playing with a PS4 controller.

I thought one of those tablet stand/holder things would work:

But the clamp is just slightly too small for either dimension of the deck. I thought for sure someone would have released a ball-joint clamp that works with the steam deck but I guess not? Any ideas?

Fake edit: looks like the deck mate is my solution. Just buy one of their universal pucks and stick it to the holder I already have, somewhere where it doesn't mess with using it with a tablet.

i need to add "get nursing pillow" to OP

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

MarcusSA posted:

Did you change the back buttons? I’m kinda tempted to get the new shell just for better back buttons.

This was the reason I bought mine. Went with the blues and it's fantastic.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TraderStav posted:

This was the reason I bought mine. Went with the blues and it's fantastic.

Nice. I’m probably gonna order one. The back buttons are ok but these seem like a real improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Gonna post it again since people don't seem to be reading the install notes on it:

This is part of why it actually works to improve performance, because of the way it uses the swap file and the data transfer speed as a backup buffer for your (larger) VRAM. The video I linked earlier made by the creator of the tools explains how every single thing works in great detail, and why you need to be installing anything you want to really benefit from Cryo on the m.2.

Oh duh, thanks; that hadn't even occurred to me, but it's obvious if I stop and think about it for a moment.

edit: So I guess I want to shift around my games such that the more taxing ones are on the m.2 (I've mostly done that already, but space is more limited on the m.2 so I've been trying new stuff out off of the SD)