Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Are the screws on the deck loc-tited? (blue)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've had weird instances where emulators run better in desktop mode than game mode, and I have no idea why. I also have one game that has no sound in gaming mode but works fine in desktop, and I haven't been able to find an answer for either.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

priznat posted:

Mine were, and two were hard to get out but i managed and replaced them

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Played the first few chapters of The Last of Us on Deck, mainly sticking to the preset Deck settings but with a 30fps cap. Once the shaders have compiled it works pretty well, though there are quite long loads between major areas.

Expect a locked 30 indoors and then somewhere between 23-30 in larger outdoor areas . Places with a lot of NPCs sometimes went to the high teens. Also some of the textures on the Deck setting are just N64 style blurs, but it's not so bad unless you get right up them.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Finally got my 512gb sd card today, I will never get used to having so much storage in such a small thing.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Fuzz posted:

Gonna post it again since people don't seem to be reading the install notes on it:

Cryotools only works if you install the game on your m.2

This is wrong information, a chunk of what Cryotools offers is to symlink data specifically to enable games on your SD card to also have cache and shaders stored there, and yes those benefit from the m2 swap file improvements.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Im answering my own question here but, if Im following the thread correctly:

I am too chickenshit for heat guns, prying tools, loving around with soft screws, andddd my apartment is very sunny with glare galore.... its the 512gb model for me, correct? :ohdear:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yes

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

oh thank god you just saved me a lot of grief

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

wizard2 posted:

I am too chickenshit for heat guns, prying tools, loving around with soft screws, andddd my apartment is very sunny with glare galore.... its the 512gb model for me, correct? :ohdear:

I bought the 512 for the etched screen personally and it's been worth it. I can barely play my switch due to the glare.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

wizard2 posted:

100% yes. You can play the 512GB in total sunlight just fine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

wizard2 posted:

You're going to loving love it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RBA Starblade posted:

The PS1 ones play perfectly fine on Duckstation. The PS2 ones work great on PCSX2 with occasional slowdown (especially by the last ones on it) but require a lot of fiddling per game (texture offset, some buffer stuff, etc. Nothing major) and there are some emulator bugs with the UI cutting out now and then, but it resolves by the next mission. The PS3 era runs slowly and only recently work correctly on RPCS3. I haven't done a lot of PS3 stuff yet on it but I would imagine it's pushing it.

Good ones to start with are AC1, AC2, AC3, and AC For Answer, imo. Each implement drastic changes from the others, but the first three all have the same control scheme. IMO skip Armored Core V and Verdict Day - they weren't very good even at the time.

Hmm, I was hoping the PS3 ones would play OK, but I guess that was too much to ask for. Thanks for the tips!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
JSAUX backs for both me and my wife’s Decks arrived today. Green for me, purple for her. Super easy, done with both including a 1TB SSD upgrade for each in a half hour. The purple seems to fit a little worse but after going around a second time and tightening the screws the gap by the thermal pad went away.

Now let’s see how it holds up over time

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Demon souls plays pretty good but has weird audio hitching. I decided to stop at the PS2.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So the screw grip stuff I got didn't work, and the extractor bits are all actually too big. I have the iFixit precision extraction tools on the way, though I doubt they'll work (and probably not until sometime next week, since it's not being shipped by Amazon). This screw has never even budged and I get the impression that it wouldn't screw out even if I could get a grip on it. I can't find any extraction bits (the ones that drill into the screw and pull it out, which seems like the only semi-guaranteed method of removal) that are small enough for a screw this tiny; it would need to have a diameter of like 0.5mm or something. I might need to actually go to the local Lowes or something for that.

Edit: I think the lesson from this for others in this thread is that you should test your Steam Deck's screws before getting something like the backplate replacement. At least that way you'll know if your backplate can even be reasonably removed beforehand (and I imagine the rest of the process is very simple if you can unscrew the backplate).

Also, be very careful with the screws because they are very lovely and strip more easily than any other screws I've ever encountered in my years of building various PCs or opening some laptops. The instant they seem to be giving you trouble, stop and try something else.

Edit2: In less frustrating/negative news, I've been enjoying Hades a ton. I get why people liked this game so much. I don't even usually enjoy Roguelikes. It's a lot of fun trying out the various boons with different weapons, etc.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 29, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

So the screw grip stuff I got didn't work, and the extractor bits are all actually too big. I have the iFixit precision extraction tools on the way, though I doubt they'll work (and probably not until sometime next week, since it's not being shipped by Amazon). This screw has never even budged and I get the impression that it wouldn't screw out even if I could get a grip on it. I can't find any extraction bits (the ones that drill into the screw and pull it out, which seems like the only semi-guaranteed method of removal) that are small enough for a screw this tiny; it would need to have a diameter of like 0.5mm or something. I might need to actually go to the local Lowes or something for that.

Edit: I think the lesson from this for others in this thread is that you should test your Steam Deck's screws before getting something like the backplate replacement. At least that way you'll know if your backplate can even be reasonably removed beforehand (and I imagine the rest of the process is very simple if you can unscrew the backplate).

Also, be very careful with the screws because they are very lovely and strip more easily than any other screws I've ever encountered in my years of building various PCs or opening some laptops. The instant they seem to be giving you trouble, stop and try something else.

Edit2: In less frustrating/negative news, I've been enjoying Hades a ton. I get why people liked this game so much. I don't even usually enjoy Roguelikes. It's a lot of fun trying out the various boons with different weapons, etc.

Let us know if they work. I didn't know they made tiny extractors and they seem like they'd be really useful.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, I was hoping the PS3 ones would play OK, but I guess that was too much to ask for. Thanks for the tips!

No problem! Even on PC AC4 and For Answer (and onward) run badly and crash often. They're very finicky to emulate.

Jordan7hm posted:

Demon souls plays pretty good but has weird audio hitching. I decided to stop at the PS2.

That's a bummer to hear though - I got an item randomzier working for it and was going to move it over lol

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

RBA Starblade posted:

I haven't done a lot of PS3 stuff yet on it but I would imagine it's pushing it.

Good news! AC4 and 4A run perfectly fine on the Deck through RPCS3. I played through both and had virtually no issues, slowdown, etc. There used to be issues but the developers fixed them.

The only thing I noticed in 4A was once in a while the player machine textures glitch out. I barely noticed. It looked like your typical garish paintjob at the time.

In fact ima go take down Spirit of Motherwill again right now

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

No problem! Even on PC AC4 and For Answer (and onward) run badly and crash often. They're very finicky to emulate.

That's a bummer to hear though - I got an item randomzier working for it and was going to move it over lol

Everything I read was that it’s kind of random. If I were you I’d at least try it. With this kind of issue it may not even bother you.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ytlaya posted:

I would try a tiny left hand drill bit. That's your best bet of getting it out IMO. I've never had any luck with extractors. They usually just break off and make things worse.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm playing Terranigma, which is a game that has both 8-directional movement and double-tap dash, is it possible to have a Steam Input setting that'll map dash to the left stick?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Ytlaya posted:

The fiddly screws are honestly very weird given how otherwise absurdly easy and friendly the SD is to disassemble. Not counting the two screws that forced me to go dig out my tiny ratchet, upgrading to the 1TB SSD barely took a half hour including the time needed to reimage and update. They've somehow managed to use screws that are worse than the ones you'd find on cheap laptops and that's impressive.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

The fiddly screws are honestly very weird given how otherwise absurdly easy and friendly the SD is to disassemble. Not counting the two screws that forced me to go dig out my tiny ratchet, upgrading to the 1TB SSD barely took a half hour including the time needed to reimage and update. They've somehow managed to use screws that are worse than the ones you'd find on cheap laptops and that's impressive.

Where'd you end up getting the 1TB?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

priznat posted:

Where'd you end up getting the 1TB?

I ended up getting the WD off Aliexpress after seeing a ton of reputable sources vouch for it:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804714924643.html?gatewayAdapt=Pc2Msite

KDiskMark says it's somewhat substantially faster than the 512gb that came with my SD but I haven't noticed any actual practical difference.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I’m sure the drive itself is faster but I’d venture that there’s a bottleneck somewhere that would make it perform the same as the OEM ones in the 256/512 models anyways

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

I ended up getting the WD off Aliexpress after seeing a ton of reputable sources vouch for it:

KDiskMark says it's somewhat substantially faster than the 512gb that came with my SD but I haven't noticed any actual practical difference.

drat that is a smoking deal. I had been looking at the SN740 too. I imagine they’d ship to canada too as well..

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

drat that is a smoking deal. I had been looking at the SN740 too. I imagine they’d ship to canada too as well..

Well I wasn’t planning on upgrading my 512 but here we are.

$41 is legit.

Oh lol I can’t read it’s $79

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

To be honest, the 2TB is the really good deal. If I had known about that and known how drop dead easy it was to replace the drive, I definitely would have just gotten the 64gb, gone straight to 2TB, and probably never even bothered with an SD card.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Care to post a screenshot of the listing? The link very much doesn't work of you're not in the US

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Care to post a screenshot of the listing? The link very much doesn't work of you're not in the US

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

priznat posted:

yeah, mine weren't much a problem tho. I just put it face down in the case and used enough pressure so it didn't slip

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Shucks, definitely not available for me. Oh well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

yeah, mine weren't much a problem tho. I just put it face down in the case and used enough pressure so it didn't slip

Oh that's a great idea to use the case for that, I will do the same. I ordered a 1TB SN740 from aliexpress.. Sadly will probably get here the week after I am scheduled to travel, ah well.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

They also used self tapping screws without metal inserts so every time you reassemble the case you’re physically weakening it. Just a cost cutting measure.

Kween
Jan 9, 2005
Not recently,no
I had to drill the heads off two of the long screws before I could open mine up and replace the ssd. It looked like they'd either already been partially stripped or simply not well formed when it turned up.

Only took 5 minutes but not everyone is going to be comfortable taking a drill to their expensive new toy.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hopefully it's available next month for next month's budget

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Paradoxish posted:

To be honest, the 2TB is the really good deal. If I had known about that and known how drop dead easy it was to replace the drive, I definitely would have just gotten the 64gb, gone straight to 2TB, and probably never even bothered with an SD card.

poo poo, I paid $160 for the 1TB Sabrent. This is supposedly twice the storage for the same price. Screaming deal.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Come home from a party last weekend and wanted to play a bit of something before bed, probably Peglin. I ended up installing 200-ish boot up animations with the decky loader plugin instead. Don't remember most of them.

Used to just have the instant black boot video to get into the device quicker, but the surprise each boot is pretty neat. I can really recommend it. But instead of getting drunk maybe hand it off to a friend to spend 5-10 minutes doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Friends dont let friends Deck drunk