Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Though be careful Becuase the worse you drive, the worse people around you drive and vice Versa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

nexous posted:

I watched a guy get on the 60 going the wrong way. took him like 30 seconds then he slammed on the brakes.

no idea how it’s such a big problem here

https://www.wtae.com/article/stolen-mail-truck-wrong-way-interstate-79/42626656

In January this guy stole a mail truck and went driving down the wrong side of I-79 at 60mph

Single car drunk driving accidents are basically just suicides, I figure these sort of events are the same thing

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

More specifically, how do I describe the knock-on effects from covid without saying they're the knock-on effects from covid

Apr 7, 2003

Nothus posted:

More specifically, how do I describe the knock-on effects from covid without saying they're the knock-on effects from covid

People are super angry if you even bring it up, I got some poo poo for saying that Covid is why the 24/7 diners all started closing at 9 PM here

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Louisgod posted:

this is purely :tinfoil: but I wonder if endless COVID infections has affected people's driving. purely anecdotal but it seems like people as a whole have become worse drivers specific to reckless choices. speeding has gotten so bad where I live that the local pigs need to announce they're setting up speed traps on the highways, yet people still speed and do stupid poo poo.

The government openly said they didn't give a poo poo about people's lives or health. The people who regardless tried to be courteous to others ended up "losing" the prisoner's dilemma. All the shitheads went on being shitheads, and the people who were otherwise constrained by societal nicety from being shitheads realized that "societal nicety" had no consequences at all for ignoring it, so they went on to be shitheads. The shithead disease spreads throughout the population.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

gotta unskew those graphs

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I'm photographing a wedding tomorrow and am very much looking forward to all the dumb chuds whining about my mask

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

pharma lobby/industry + hating the poors for the former, and insane US car culture/transportation system for the latter? doesn't seem like that bad of shorthand if obscurant

It sounded to me like he was splitting issues between partisan "sides" which while applicable for gun deaths seems kind of dumb for ODs & car accidents. Hating the poors is a bipartisan project as is people driving like dumbasses.

webcams for christ posted:

selling a far greater proportion of smaller, safer vehicles would measurably have a negative impact on gdp

just like if every American suddenly went from consuming ~3,700 kcal/day to say 2,800kcal.

drug overdoses is trickier to account for with the "opposing interests" framing alone

So it's capital vs. the people rather than chuds vs. libs.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 17:33 on Mar 31, 2023

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

selling a far greater proportion of smaller, safer vehicles would measurably have a negative impact on gdp

just like if every American suddenly went from consuming ~3,700 kcal/day to say 2,800kcal.

drug overdoses is trickier to account for with the "opposing interests" framing alone

The pharmaceutical industry is the biggest opponent to illicit drug use because it circumvents their monopoly on care and encourages the use of poorly monetizable drugs like thc, mdma and psilocybin

They are very invested in the fentanyl narrative because it takes heat off pharmaceutical addiction and draws the prohibition conversation away from "have the drug companies pay to fix this" back towards "won't somebody protect us from these degenerates"

This is why the fentanyl conversation remains a dumb scarefest with no proposed solution, and why every drug dealer with a bag of anything gets discovered with fent: its one weird trick to get millennials and gen z on board with the drug war

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 17:33 on Mar 31, 2023

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
more people are working than ever before. a triumph of capitalism.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

each of the negative outcomes is a threat, that’s their purpose.

Apr 7, 2003

RealityWarCriminal posted:

more people are working than ever before. a triumph of capitalism.

nobody wants to work anymore, but they're working anyway and that's what I call success

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Louisgod posted:

this is purely :tinfoil: but I wonder if endless COVID infections has affected people's driving. purely anecdotal but it seems like people as a whole have become worse drivers specific to reckless choices. speeding has gotten so bad where I live that the local pigs need to announce they're setting up speed traps on the highways, yet people still speed and do stupid poo poo.

I have no idea if it's confirmation bias but I agree. Driving post-covid is like encountering the adult version of the feral kindergartners we keep hearing about.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

hello, may i see the age and retirement adjusted lines from before the 2020 crash?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Oh man that is a depressing way to look at things. Our economic system literally cannot allow people to be healthy, and average calories eaten per day is just another number that has to keep going up forever.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There's too much money to be made off of people's misery and sickness

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Louisgod posted:

we already talked about this last thread but yes and no. covid itself, as a virus, has not really changed people's brains wrt driving. that would actually be a good and better reason. but it's actually a worse cause: society has changed. any semblence of social cohesion is largely nuked, and it's every man for themselve. why not go fast and try to beat other people 30 seconds sooner?

it's this

SKULL.GIF posted:

The government openly said they didn't give a poo poo about people's lives or health. The people who regardless tried to be courteous to others ended up "losing" the prisoner's dilemma. All the shitheads went on being shitheads, and the people who were otherwise constrained by societal nicety from being shitheads realized that "societal nicety" had no consequences at all for ignoring it, so they went on to be shitheads. The shithead disease spreads throughout the population.

SKULL.GIF posted:

With apologies to Hoot, I strongly suspect the sharp rise in aggressive driving has a whole lot to do with the total failure of the American government at implementing mask mandates / stay-at-home orders / vaccination. A huge portion of the population went "What the gently caress? This doesn't do poo poo." and refused to do any of it, and the ones who didn't die choking on their back-of-ear fat ended up going "Wow the world didn't loving end after all. These leeeebrulls don't know poo poo."

This naturally segues into "Why the gently caress am I listening to the bullshit social rules about how to 'drive'? This just wastes my time sitting around. I drive better than any of these assholes," and start swerving around cars and crossing-over on right turns and running stop signs/red lights. And they don't die! They don't get arrested/fined by the police! (Until they do, but then they disappear from the system or they just shrug and pay the 0.05% of takehome fine.) So it self-sustains, and others see that and see the lack of social pushback against that, they go "Why am I bothering to do this stupid poo poo when these fuckers can do it consequence free???". It ends up not just self-sustaining but also self-propagating too.

Even apart from the impact of half-hearted covid measures, as Western society continues to rot there's going to be more and more people who won't bother going through with the social niceties and polity that keeps everything functioning smoothly. Why bother when you don't get anything out of it?

Willa Rogers posted:

I think it's deeper than that; my guess is it's that we were given a taste, for a treat, of what it was like to live in a society with a functional safety net, a common & shared purpose, and a hopefulness that politics & direct action could & would effect change, before it was all cynically exploited out of political utility & kayfabe.

We came to see the true value of elders in our society, which is to say utterly disposable, worth less than the campaign donations of the nursing-home owners who were called in by governors to write emergency orders that not only shielded the industry from legal liability but also literally barred state inspections & family visits, the only barriers against elder abuse.

We created a literal & metaphoric invisible servant class to provide for the well to do, covid whipping boys to take on the disease in the service of providing others. We saw stark class divides as never before, then made excuses for them if we could afford to purchase the servants we needed to keep ourselves safe, our families fed, our children taught.

Masks & the ultimatums surrounding them weren't the broken windows of the pandemic, nor the harbinger of the Crazy Times. What we went through was far deeper, far more complex, far more emotionally & physically devastating, and what we're going through feels like the acknowledgment that our social contracts are now broken for good.

And yet everyone still clings to the Us vs. Them, the Good People vs. the Bad, the Masks vs. the Barefaces, the Wise vs. the Ignorant. Everyone needs to think it's meaningfully distilled to tropes about "getting pancakes at applebees" or "wanting schools to babysit your kids" & whatever opposite tropes are propagated by The Others.

It's sicko poo poo, and it's deeply disturbing to watch, and it's not going to end in anything good.

Xaris posted:

i agree. i don't think covid, the virus, directly was really that impactful on it's own and it's clearly more widespread than a brief mask mandate or 'lockdown' or whatever. it's that yes we saw intense stark class divide and complete abdication of society to function, and if the state has abdicated, why shouldn't I try to get to work 3 minutes faster than all those "Others" who are just too rube sheeple to go as fast as me?

i think it's also pretty evident that some of the most insane actions have been by people in like 2001-2014 white accords or taurus's or whatever, (+ some combination of 80k suv Baby On Board sticker dad maniacs where everyone else is also the Lesser), that it's largely a whole class of society that has given up into psycho mode, and being treated like disposable, why shouldn't they mow down some cyclists and children?? Social contracts are broken and aren't coming back. It's been seen by everyone that there's no consequence for anyone from the jeff bezos to the pfizers to the faucis (and yes, a lot of social media resentment of overpaid computer toucher Influencer types on social media talking about ordering doordash everyday while working 1 hour a day in their pajamas and scolding poors for working and not being as safe as they are). The system is spiraling down the toilet

Xaris has issued a correction as of 17:37 on Mar 31, 2023

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

There's too much money to be made off of people's misery and sickness

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Nothus posted:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

People are super angry if you even bring it up, I got some poo poo for saying that Covid is why the 24/7 diners all started closing at 9 PM here

Conspiracy theorists :freep: : The world is controlled by pedophile lizards, everything is a false flag done with crisis actors who never talk, donald trump is still president and jfk jr will come back to life. 5G can read your thoughts and vaccines have a microchip.

:v: Everyone getting infected with a serious disease multiple times is causing cognitive side effects on a societal level.

Conspiracy theorists :freep: : That's just not a credible claim. I need to see some evidence.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

RealityWarCriminal posted:

gotta unskew those graphs

Fake Statistics 2: The Refakening

lmao "age and retirement adjusted LFPR" if you are retired, are you Participating in the loving Labor Force??

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Popoto posted:

hello, may i see the age and retirement adjusted lines from before the 2020 crash?

no

Now, as we emerge from the pandemic again for the fourth time, is the only time that people have retired from working, and had age

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

how does more calories per day work when the companies shrink the packages

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

forkboy84 posted:

The Chinese market goes mad for Scotch. The limited run high end poo poo almost always ends up in Chinese hands these days. Asia-Pacific now buys more whisky from Scotland than the EU.

Unfortunately Indonesia, Brunei & Malaysia aren't particularly keen on alcohol so I'm not sure this trade deal helps much.

Japanese whiskey is often just as good these days

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

Conspiracy theorists :freep: : The world is controlled by pedophile lizards, everything is a false flag done with crisis actors who never talk, donald trump is still president and jfk jr will come back to life. 5G can read your thoughts and vaccines have a microchip.

:v: Everyone getting infected with a serious disease multiple times is causing cognitive side effects on a societal level.

Conspiracy theorists :freep: : That's just not a credible claim. I need to see some evidence.

Just finished working with a man like this. Pretty sad, in retrospect actually. Passed his GED, though. ironically did very well on the "science" portion.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Frosted Flake posted:

Japanese whiskey is often just as good these days

Less snob appeal.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Truck culture is a thing now in a way it wasn't fifteen years ago too, no one will ever sell their giant truck off to drive a Prius like people did in 2008 because that'd be like cutting their own arm off.

Japanese trucks and Japanese whiskey are the path forward.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

two car guy with the red shirt is paying almost 3x my mortgage for his cars

KillerFuzzball
Jul 1, 2007

taste the pain

Louisgod posted:

Our roads are designed in such a way as to encourage higher speeds than are usually posted. Think about the wide, straight double or triple lane main arteries running through a typical mid-sized city. Speed limit is usually 45 but everyone does 55 and you WANT to go 65 because that road is basically a highway. Same idea applies even to most suburban streets. The limit is 25 but wide lanes and generous easements make 35 feel ok in a lot of places.

Now add to this the fact that newer cars are so isolating to the driver that unless you’re really paying attention, it’s easy to speed and not realize it.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Frosted Flake posted:

Japanese trucks and Japanese whiskey are the path forward.

And Japanese cartoons.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

actionjackson posted:

two car guy with the red shirt is paying almost 3x my mortgage for his cars

Looks like someone isn't keeping up with the Jonses. :colbert:

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

i am listening to my wife's work call and they just googled inflation, saw it was 6.4%, and then added that to the invoice for the customer. I assume that's what everyone is doing.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

car payments
you're literally indebted to the car

it owns you

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

why can't fun things not have externalities dammit

No worry! Live in moment! Time money! Hustle! Go! Go! Go!

I really, really want to know how consumer habits changed and usa citizens overall thoughts on other people deteriorated since covid.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1641848650107060236?s=20

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Woke Mind Virus posted:

i am listening to my wife's work call and they just googled inflation, saw it was 6.4%, and then added that to the invoice for the customer. I assume that's what everyone is doing.

they should google more inflation stuff

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

car payments
you're literally indebted to the car

it owns you

own me harder baby vroom vroom

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yep. There is no reason to be "nice or civilized" anymore. Life is about self-gratification. Nothing more than that.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

wolfs posted:

how does more calories per day work when the companies shrink the packages

you're either paying way more, cooking longer and more, or eating lower quality (often more calorie-dense, less satiating) food

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mustached Demon posted:

you expect parents to drive their brood around with a minivan?

We have a minivan and it’s honestly an amazing, comfortable, smooth ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

This is literally what happened to the Soviet union when he usa totally didn't invade after the USSR collapse

russians killed themselves with alcohol, we're using fentanyl. very different.

Willa Rogers posted:

What are the "opposing interests" to drug overdoses & car accidents? This sounds like a lazy construct.

also keeping drug addictions high is necessary to keep the (insanely profitable) drug war and prison industrial complex going