Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

what if we crunch the numbers without the Bad People
https://twitter.com/nsjersey/status/1642165562464673794

lmao Colorado

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Harik posted:

joining leftist orgs gives you a number great sources of amusement: watching the disintegration of polycules, absurd infighting, and playing spotting the fed

this is all true and you may go through several before you find one with a core of folks actually doing anything, but it rules once you do

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jel Shaker posted:

the interesting thing about this for me is that we all know what you need already- good grades, extracurricular activities, regular charity work and hopefully international, national or local awards doing stuff

these people clearly got a fail child that did none of those things so theyre paying a fixer or rain maker to “help” smooth the application process / buy the dean a new house

And they see thousands, if not tens of thousands, of nearly identical applications from hyper-overachiever kids who check all those boxes and are rejected anyways, because there is a finite amount of space. Being a perfect student with more extracurriculars than there are hours in the day doesn't make you stand out when that's the minimum for every application they get.

Apparently, even being a legacy with buildings named after your family isn't good enough anymore, as they could basically fill up their rolls just from that pool, and they still have to let in some high-achieving lower-class people to maintain the illusion of the meritocracy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I peaced out of my local SRA chapter when the extremely online 20 year olds in it decided that all of the white cishet males in the org needed to go though some kind of re-education/ de-indoctrination course which they spent a weekend talking about. Same group had sone very strong opinions on China and that all media coverage of any “ fraudulent genocides” were purely imperialist in origin.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

i am harry posted:

lmao Colorado

https://slimemoldtimemold.com/2021/07/07/a-chemical-hunger-part-i-mysteries/

Denver is the least obese metro in the US. The most effective weight loss intervention is to move somewhere where people aren't fat. Diets universally perform the same no matter what diet you do, and they all work poorly.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

The_Franz posted:

And they see thousands, if not tens of thousands, of nearly identical applications from hyper-overachiever kids who check all those boxes and are rejected anyways, because there is a finite amount of space. Being a perfect student with more extracurriculars than there are hours in the day doesn't make you stand out when that's the minimum for every application they get.

Apparently, even being a legacy with buildings named after your family isn't good enough anymore, as they could basically fill up their rolls just from that pool, and they still have to let in some high-achieving lower-class people to maintain the illusion of the meritocracy.

Yeah the problem is that there's maybe 10,000 spots per year at the ivies and probably 2,000,000 qualified kids per year so they have to look at the applications and figure out which kids are wealthiest without directly looking at parental income since the stupid Feds made it so the admissions people couldn't just take bribes directly. So seeing who's able to drop $750,000 on some well-connected grifter is a good way to detect that.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The_Franz posted:

I was going to say I'm surrounded by these people, and they're a dime a dozen. I imagine the admissions people see an endless stream of Science Fair winners.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Twerk from Home posted:

Denver is the least obese metro in the US. The most effective weight loss intervention is to move somewhere where people aren't fat. Diets universally perform the same no matter what diet you do, and they all work poorly.

That article left me with a lot of (good) questions, thanks for the link!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://twitter.com/VictimOfMaths/status/1641846297148653571

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
drat too bad nobody's got the ability or willingness to do anything meaningful. shucks

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

yeah sure and look at the state on that map you can tell where the chuds live

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1642427909431279616?s=20

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh isn't even in a state anymore, it's just a zone of misery

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

"for anyone interested in crushing the local population look here!"

FistEnergy posted:

lol

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

FistEnergy posted:

the green spaghetti was a dead giveaway

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

plastic production vs childhood obesity lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
preservatives are probably the other cause

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

i am harry posted:

yeah sure and look at the state on that map you can tell where the chuds live

The three chudiest counties in the state are all on blue side of the spectrum

The red corner is mostly poor & hispanic agricultural communities.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

Nearly all snacks are skyrocketing in price while having their packaging shrunk down and the ingredients/recipes changed. I got a box of Wheat Thins Bigs the other week to use for a dip -- it was like $5 for 8oz and the chips are half as thin as they used to be. I'm just not gonna bother anymore with pretty much anything processed.

target/walmart/safeway/albertsons/cvs/etc big brand poo poo is definitely very dire these days. i don't bother shopping at safeway/albertsons anymore since it's more expensive than whole foods or trader joes now.

trader joes has not had significant shrinkflation at least, but prices are up about ~10-20% over 2019.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
tjs definitely has had significant shrinkflation the pizzas are like 30% smaller than 4 years ago

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

anime was right posted:

tjs definitely has had significant shrinkflation the pizzas are like 30% smaller than 4 years ago

i haven't noticed on the 4-pack bambinos or the Margherita? it's still around 14 oz. havent really ate any of the other ones though so maybe. they definitely have much less selection though.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

oh so you were willing to accept this this as legal tender 5 seconds ago but now cuz I ripped it in half you won't take it are you serious?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failing New York Times too cowardly to admit Pittsburgh is in Ohio

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

/fires up a GIS forWausau Wisconsin

Oh

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

Govt regs changed a while ago and drove the small farmers out of business. You have to have a climate controlled storage facility for them now instead of just piling them up in a big barn
I thinkt this changed around the end of Obama's term but just another way that good intentions of less rotting food meant more ability for the mega Corp to fix prices

It's the entire point. Deliberately forcing production to be more capital intensive at the expense of the individual (businesses) either forces them out of the business or enriches the supplier of the capital and the financier who supplies the loans for the purchase of said capital.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

That Works posted:

I peaced out of my local SRA chapter when the extremely online 20 year olds in it decided that all of the white cishet males in the org needed to go though some kind of re-education/ de-indoctrination course which they spent a weekend talking about. Same group had sone very strong opinions on China and that all media coverage of any “ fraudulent genocides” were purely imperialist in origin.

sorry dawg that sounds like extremely weird vibes. is the IWW doing anything near you? what about food not bombs or a john brown gun club?

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm sure those stats have nothing to do with black & immigrant populations and are only confined to chuds with political views opposite to mine. :shrug:

The color choice is unfortunate (deliberate?) and the Twitter thread is people drawing political conclusions, rather than economic ones

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

anime was right posted:

plastic production vs childhood obesity lol
that one's fun

it's also fun if you overlay polluted watersheds and accumulation

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

here we go again lmao

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

where's that insane website that's like 300,000 words of "research" showing that CHEMICALS cause obesity

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/0ddette/status/1642600315546468352?t=GXnLp2Ia2uFF0V3goZFJvQ&s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

webcams for christ posted:

where's that insane website that's like 300,000 words of "research" showing that CHEMICALS cause obesity

Increase in plastic presence in society maps almost 1 to 1 the increases in obesity. You can see this happening virtually right before your eyes in countries like Mexico and China.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i dont think its unfair to say that plastic either changes the rate in which you process calories or it changes behavior in a way to seek out more calories. the correlation is pretty obvious but the cause is harder to pin down

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

/fires up a GIS forWausau Wisconsin

Oh

It's not a terrible place, there's just not a lot going on at all there. It's also very carbrained. It's not as white as you'd expect for rural Wisconsin, the state took in a large amount of Hmong refugees after Vietnam and a bunch of them settled there. Other cheap (for now) places in Wisconsin: Eau Claire, Stevens Point, La Crosse, Green Bay.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Increase in plastic presence in society maps almost 1 to 1 the increases in obesity. You can see this happening virtually right before your eyes in countries like Mexico and China.

lots of things with no causal connection correlate almost 1:1. this website has a fun collection.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

ah yes plastics couldn't possibly be a co-correlate or be a proxy for other environmental, economic, and social factors, no sir. Definitely the plastics magically changing thermodynamics

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Honestly I feel like Japan has seriously hosed up by not going geothermal like iceland did, especially since they're sitting on the ring of fire. For some reason Japan is almost entirely natural gas and coal fired plants

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

bangor maine would be good if you're a stephen king fanatic i guess

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I mean it's not like Obseity Medicine is it's own discrete field nowadays with its own journals, board certifications, and over half a century of studies into the etiology or anything haha, that would make everything much clearer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I suppose it is more convenient and comfortable believing that all the plastic we're surrounded with and which packages all our food is inert with no impact on our bodies.