Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

silicone thrills posted:

Was talking about this with my husband just yesterday. We bought a new piece of furniture after doing some research about it and now all the ads on everything are for that piece of furniture and its like ??? its done. I bought it. I dont need another. You loving morons.

The problem is your purchase wasn't logged to your block chain. How are they supposed to know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

https://twitter.com/GACKTED/status/1642976881598431233?t=kq_OhKLqM4OYE-GXZdDHbg&s=19

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i meant to post this here first instead of capitalism.png but gently caress it i had to see it and now you do too

quote:

Sophie Kratsas was only a few hours old when she received her first email: a “welcome to the world” message from her father, Nick Kratsas. He had created an email account for his newborn daughter while still standing in the delivery room. This was 2014, and Mr. Kratsas, 44, had already noticed a dearth of unclaimed email addresses with a person’s full name without numbers, special characters or other concessions.

“I’m like, Man, if I can grab this for her now, eventually she’ll be able to use this when she’s ready for it,” Mr. Kratsas said. A few days later, he created a Facebook profile for Sophie so he and his wife, Heather, 41, could begin tagging her in posts and photos. When she’s old enough, they intend to turn over the email and Facebook accounts to her, along with the robust digital histories that come with them.

Sophie, now 9, is one of many children in her generation whose digital footprint precedes her physical one. In an age when teens and tweens are more online than ever, some parents find it just as important to invest in their offspring’s digital futures, like securing their email addresses, domain names and social media handles, as it is to invest in their finances and education.

“Both the digital and children are sort of symbolic representations of a future,” said Frances Corry, a postdoctoral fellow at the Center on Digital Culture and Society at the University of Pennsylvania. “And so putting those two things together is really salient and anxiety-provoking as people start to think about, What is the future going to look like for my child?”

Because of this, she added, the way parents approach their children’s social media presence is most likely informed by the relationship they have had growing up with it.

Chelsea Moylan, 34, came of age in the early aughts when the internet was new and still largely unexplored. “Anytime there was a new social media, me and my friends were always on there early enough to get our names,” Ms. Moylan said. It’s a privilege she now wants for her two children, Josie, 2, and Franny, 6 months.

“I was like, I need to get them their names, and I didn’t want to have to put a dot in it,” she said. Franny and Josie now have their own email addresses and private Instagram handles, which Ms. Moylan used for only friends and family. She intends to hand over the accounts to her daughters when they turn 18.

Sapphiroula, 28, and Nicholas Condoleon, 32, parents and online creators better known as “The Condos,” made an Instagram account for their 3-year-old son Georgii using his first and last name — with no pesky dots or underscores — in June 2019, two months before he was born. But their younger son, Charlie, 1, wasn’t so lucky.

“Someone’s got Charlie Condo,” Mr. Condoleon said, holding his phone up in a video interview. “And it’s like some random dude!”

Most of these digital artifacts sit untouched until parents think their children are ready — but some parents are using them in the meantime. Matt Maguire, 40, made email addresses for his children, Sophie, 9, and Emerson, 5, a few months before they were born. He sends them messages documenting their childhoods that he plans to share as a kind of digital scrapbook when the time is right.

So far, Emerson has accumulated 601 emails from her father and other family members. For Sophie, that number is 1,198. It will be a heartfelt gift when the time comes, but one that requires some maintenance. According to its policy, Google may remove all of your content from any accounts that have been inactive for two years. Parents holding onto Gmail accounts, and the messages inside them, will need to ensure that they are logging in often enough to keep them afloat.

But starting a child’s digital footprint at a young age raises some privacy concerns. While email accounts are not public-facing, the ethics become tricky when parents begin posting pictures of their children to social media, said Stephen Balkam, the founder of the nonprofit Family Online Safety Institute, which works with leaders in government and tech businesses to promote internet safety for children and families. “If you do want to upload photographs, keep it tight,” he said.

A majority of policies governing when children in the United States can use social media platforms are based on the regulations set by Congress in the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, which prohibits websites from collecting information on users younger than 13 without parental permission. Facebook, Instagram, Google, YouTube and TikTok require users in the United States to be at least 13 to sign up for an account. On Instagram, any children younger than that age must clearly state in their bio that the account is managed by a parent or manager.

But as with any issues related to parenthood, Dr. Corry said, caregivers should expect the unexpected when the time comes to relinquish control of their children’s social media accounts. “It’s maybe creating an identity that your child isn’t going to identify with,” she said. “Would that parent be OK with their child taking those accounts that they’re being handed and deleting everything? That’s one possible outcome.”

Ms. Moylan already plans to wipe her children’s Instagram accounts before they inherit them. “You’re not going to want to be 17, and if somebody scrolls back far enough, it’s you in a diaper,” she said.

Anthony Garmont, 53, has already given the digital real estate to his child, and the reaction was … anticlimactic. Mr. Garmont sent about 15 messages to the email address he secured 18 years ago for his son, Riley. Their content was largely sentimental, so he thought it would be better for his son to read the emails on his own.

But did Riley understand the value of his father’s yearslong digital planning? “He’s a pretty nonchalant person,” Mr. Garmont said with a laugh. So, in other words, not really.

Regardless of the platform, parents taking early ownership of their children’s digital footprint allows for a certain degree of control over this newer and more unpredictable element of life. “I understand it as a benefit that you can exert some sort of reputation management over your child’s identity,” Dr. Corry said.

And while parents have no way of predicting what role social media may play in the future, acquiring these accounts is a relatively low lift for a potentially high reward. “What do we lose?” Mr. Kratsas said. “It’s not like we paid for it or anything.”

If he were to relive that day in the hospital room again, Mr. Kratsas would have done only one thing differently: secure his daughter an Instagram handle, too.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

I already plugged it in the housing thread but the Element Hotels are the best & most reasonably priced I've come across, or at least they were when I was traveling.

i'm the light fixture that isn't remotely centered over the dining table

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

actionjackson posted:

enough about my kitchen

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

actionjackson posted:

i meant to post this here first instead of capitalism.png but gently caress it i had to see it and now you do too

This is just Moloch worship in slow motion. Feed your infant to The Beast.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Mr Hootington posted:

Most parties are waging wars of genocide on the populations of the states they control, but red states are in the lead for points scored.

you say that, but andrew cuomo successfully killed enough of his state to cost them a seat in the house.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

actionjackson posted:

very progressive and good! children should be plugged in while still in the womb, maybe we can figure out a way to hook an Ethernet cable to an umbilical cord. it would be child abuse to NOT expose them to constant internet

it’s perfectly fine and harmless.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

love the "what do we have to lose, it's not like we paid for it or anything"

oh you're paying alright

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I was camping in Yellowstone for like $10/night. It was great

camping in yellowstone is free if you do it over new years. they just told us to keep the tent out of site from the lodge

it was also -30F so that sucked

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SlimGoodbody posted:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

SlimGoodbody posted:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

the number of ai generated bernie avs is too damned high!!

Here, have an AI-generated jesus selfie to cleanse your palate.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

AI and the American Smile: How AI misrepresents culture through a facial expression.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

webcams for christ posted:

ah yes plastics couldn't possibly be a co-correlate or be a proxy for other environmental, economic, and social factors, no sir. Definitely the plastics magically changing thermodynamics

there's enough calories in grass to grow a cow, why don't you try eating that for a week and let us know how thermodynamics worked out for you.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Willa Rogers posted:

soychrist

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 66 days!

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

really cool that the thread IK just casually smears posters he dislikes

i think its pretty cool too

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
some real anglo looking jesus and apostles

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

actionjackson posted:

I want all of these people to know just how boring this is

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

AI and the American Smile: How AI misrepresents culture through a facial expression.

And here I thought it was the perfect teeth that made the pics ahistorical.

eta: here's a non-smiling one

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 22:52 on Apr 3, 2023

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

What would the opposing, correct Chad be in this instance

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

exploitive megachurch pastor-lookin-rear end jesus

jesus needs to look dirty and malnourished for me to know he's serious. missin a tooth with scraggly, fig leaf hangin out hair

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Good shout on the elements hotel willa. I'm gonna seek these out from now on because lol, they look exactly like the Travelodge I stayed in for 60 bux less. Fewer amenities doesn't phase me because most places don't have any amenities anyway, to the extent I use them at all, which isn't very often. A hotel room is just a place to secure my crap and crash for the night. I'll also see what that Quarters place is about

actionjackson posted:

Which makes it like any other budget hotel room :v:

actionjackson posted:

Have to get them email addresses because they need to get on a waiting list for daycare before they even have a name to put down.

silicone thrills posted:

Was talking about this with my husband just yesterday. We bought a new piece of furniture after doing some research about it and now all the ads on everything are for that piece of furniture and its like ??? its done. I bought it. I dont need another. You loving morons.

The algo probably just read your tracking cookies and see "searched for PRODUCT". Due to trade secrecy and probably the credit card privacy law thing, they don't know you bought anything.

Need several guys making six figgies in every org to make this happen.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

SlimGoodbody posted:

just because there is a soy does not mean there must also be a chad

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Just the idea of depicting Christ like that during Holy Week, taking a selfie with Judas loving Iscariot, smdh.

The idea of a smiling Jesus during Holy Week, taking a photo of himself, made by a tool that steals the art of human artists, that's a level of detachment from substance I can't wrap my head around.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 22:56 on Apr 3, 2023

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 66 days!

SlimGoodbody posted:

based pharisees

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

jesus would be a flip phone guy

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

still waiting on Reuters or AP or something to confirm confirm but lmao

https://twitter.com/CoinDesk/status/1642993673175461889https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1643007113810300929

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/luxury/status/1642900526516797442?s=20

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Willa Rogers posted:

And here I thought it was the perfect teeth that made the pics ahistorical.

eta: here's a non-smiling one

Again, the idea of thinking this is a neat take on Holy Thursday...

What happened to us? May as well have it take place in an Olive Garden. (The restaurant, not Gethsemane)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

where are the women at in those Jesus piciturs

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

Which app do you like? there's a few out there that kind of cover it but not well and ive been trying to hunt down something worth while.

FreeRoam is pretty good. So is The Dyrt.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Doomsday Econ: you guys upset the balance in the system

https://twitter.com/Alkeydajuiceman/status/1637604410892201985

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

well if your paying the price of a brand new 2023 ford f250 king cab freedom rancher edition truck for a loving watch, which probably only costs them $300 to make, they can definitely afford it

lifehack cheat code: buy the watch, say it’s been stolen by a poor, return the original watch, sell the replaced watch, rinse-repeat until you are a billionaire

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

this lit bussy inflation is out of control fr fr

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Good shout on the elements hotel willa. I'm gonna seek these out from now on because lol, they look exactly like the Travelodge I stayed in for 60 bux less. Fewer amenities doesn't phase me because most places don't have any amenities anyway, to the extent I use them at all, which isn't very often. A hotel room is just a place to secure my crap and crash for the night. I'll also see what that Quarters place is about

Which makes it like any other budget hotel room :v:

I wish the Element chain had more offerings in major cities.

I liked it bc they had regular-sized fridges & stovetops (and cooking/eating gear), plus an amazing breakfast buffet.

The rooms were not hotel-y & the beds/sheets were nice. It was started as a chain for tech travelers & they all have high-speed internet. (Again, this was a decade ago so ymmv.)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

euphronius posted:

where are the women at in those Jesus piciturs

under the table washing their feet

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

the video ends right before he gets into what baudrillard said about this situation

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol how bad would it be for number if Binance ate poo poo? It’s the largest crypto exchange. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

FlapYoJacks posted:

lol how bad would it be for number if Binance ate poo poo? It’s the largest crypto exchange. :allears:

Tether will come up with 10 billion not-but-totally-USD out of nowhere and everyone will clap and bitcoin will break over 30k again.