Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

life comes at you fast

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1643587969431764993?t=yP2VvDaf5EESS7tCTnX8zw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1642916657248055298?s=20

While the size of the releases from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve has dropped a lot from the 1mil BPD. They do continue and will be increasing in size again due to mandated sales that will take place this year.

edit:

https://twitter.com/FedGuy12/status/1642709961070493697?s=20

Ah. Here's why OPEC+ is cutting. They realized the US promise to support higher oil prices by refilling the SPR were empty.

also they realized how much higher oil prices are going to be once the SPR is empty

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Bill Gates owns something like 200,000 acres of farmland in the US

how many islands is that?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

2.5 Maltas

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hubbert posted:

The only island he ever needed belonged to Epstein, I hear.

Doesn't he own one of the Hawaiian islands as well? Well, probably only half of it now.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

gradenko_2000 posted:

Barbie Used to Be Made in the Philippines. Why Did Mattel Leave the Country?

TL; DR - neoliberalism got Mattel to offshore their manufacturing from the US to the Philippines, and they killed the factories when the unions got too uppity

quote:

The news agency also said the impact of the Mattel pullout was significant; it estimated Mattel had contributed $75 million to the Philippine economy over the 10 years it had been operating in the country.

lmao so they were a complete parasite how unexpected

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The Pittsburgh Pirates had a job opening for an analytics software developer, I looked into it and they paid ~$50K lmao

Nutting is a special piece of poo poo even compared to all the other pieces of poo poo in sports ownership, other teams pay much more

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Orbis Tertius posted:

that’s even worse!

honestly the nazis are so awful in their belief that the undeserving races should be purged from the earth that finding out it was "just" executives treating their workers as sex toys is somewhat reassuring.

like it's bad, but it could be so much worse.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

sullat posted:

Doesn't he own one of the Hawaiian islands as well? Well, probably only half of it now.

that's oracle founder Larry Ellison, he's currently kicking off all 3,000 of the soon to be former inhabitants

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

is pepsi ok posted:

oh no, the oven stopped working. just need to put in a petition and wait for all 100 landlords to vote on if they are going to replace it. can't wait to see how it goes!

this is different then telling the one owner who just rolls his eyes and ignores you because

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

My undergrad econ professor gave us extra credit for managing a $20 kiva.org portfolio lol she was so bullish on that sketchy poo poo. She was a nice enough lady, but every time I asked even the most basic left-perspective question to interrogate she econ gospel she regurgitated, her response was invariably something like "yes, but our system won't make sense if we look at it that way so we interpret it in (X completely opposite way that handwaves the structural contradiction)."

Like the worst one I remember was when we were talking about opportunity cost and the value someone places on their billionth dollar versus on, say, their 10th. I asked why the system views the utility and value of someone's galactic excess exactly the same (or more, if you actually examine our incentive structures) as the first dollar needed by a starving man, and no joke her response was that, well, every person's individual assessment of value is private and unknowable, so from a utilitarian perspective it's actually impossible to know whether or not a billionaire is getting more satisfaction and sense of utility from their ten billionth dollar than the starving man is getting from that fifth dollar which guarantees him his first meal in two days.

Econ is a fake science for sociopaths.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

My undergrad econ professor gave us extra credit for managing a $20 kiva.org portfolio lol she was so bullish on that sketchy poo poo. She was a nice enough lady, but every time I asked even the most basic left-perspective question to interrogate she econ gospel she regurgitated, her response was invariably something like "yes, but our system won't make sense if we look at it that way so we interpret it in (X completely opposite way that handwaves the structural contradiction)."

Like the worst one I remember was when we were talking about opportunity cost and the value someone places on their billionth dollar versus on, say, their 10th. I asked why the system views the utility and value of someone's galactic excess exactly the same (or more, if you actually examine our incentive structures) as the first dollar needed by a starving man, and no joke her response was that, well, every person's individual assessment of value is private and unknowable, so from a utilitarian perspective it's actually impossible to know whether or not a billionaire is getting more satisfaction and sense of utility from their ten billionth dollar than the starving man is getting from that fifth dollar which guarantees him his first meal in two days.

i think the econ guy i had in undergrad was a Marxist or at least left leaning guy basically told everyone that the majority of the poo poo they would learn in lower level econ classes especially was contradictory garbage

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

is pepsi ok posted:

oh no, the oven stopped working. just need to put in a petition and wait for all 100 landlords to vote on if they are going to replace it. can't wait to see how it goes!

Ah, you just need a DAO

Decentralized Autonomous Ovens

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

2.5 Maltas

I read this as 2.5 Miatas

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

SlimGoodbody posted:

this is the bedrock of liberal ideology explicitly stated. orthodox economics is more or less the "science" of revealing these unknowable private preferences and setting prices accordingly.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
hell yeah id kill baby pareto

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/0xgaut/status/1643682095930429440?s=20

me opening twitter, seeing this, and then closing twitter.

that’s enough twitter for me today.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

HallelujahLee posted:

i think the econ guy i had in undergrad was a Marxist or at least left leaning guy basically told everyone that the majority of the poo poo they would learn in lower level econ classes especially was contradictory garbage

The only economics class I took in college was in the political science department and was about international political economy, and the professor assigned a chapter from a thomas friedman book for one of the readings. The book chapter was about capital flight, in that it is a phenomenon that exists, and according to friedman only became possible in the late 1990s when computers made it possible for foreign investors to all pull their money out faster

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Harik posted:

sorry but can you explain why you think liberals would stop donating to planned parenthood for being anti-union?

leftists, yes. liberals are extremely anti-labor.

Every liberal I talk to likes unions in theory but supports Biden breaking up the rail strike. It's maddening

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tempora Mutantur posted:

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Tyrannicide

but that's too optimistic.

guessing this was actually just run-of-the-mill Reagan's Legacy, i.e. untreated mental illness culminating in random violence thanks to him shuttering mental health facilities in cali and every successor eating from the same bucket of ideological poo poo that raygun did

I wouldn't rule out it being a deliberate assassination by some rich person who got screwed over

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Every liberal I talk to likes unions in theory but supports Biden breaking up the rail strike. It's maddening

weird that's exactly their stance on black kids in their schools too

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Answering multiple businesses with highly urgent emails requesting tech assistance at the same time: An out of office email response is used to inform a sender that the recipient of their email is unable to answer their message at this time. An example of this type of email is

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

LionArcher posted:

this guy playing risk for 2 of his jobs?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Maed posted:

that's oracle founder Larry Ellison, he's currently kicking off all 3,000 of the soon to be former inhabitants

are you sure? that really doesn't sound like him; he's more of a "hunt them for sport" kind of person

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Learning neoclassical economics in undergraduate is indistinguishable from learning pure ideology.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Hubbert posted:

Learning neoclassical economics in undergraduate is indistinguishable from learning pure ideology.

as someone with an econ degree: this is 100% correct

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
If I was young and had no live(instead of old and no life) I'd probably try to do two or more remote jobs and see how long I could half rear end them before people noticed.

Judging by my experience in the corporate world, probably infinitely.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/ResearchQf/status/1643728653115863040?t=UfR4wC9_cTrtzuWWUgzFLw&s=19
https://twitter.com/ResearchQf/status/1643728952102453248?t=KNpUxqPKIM_rrLHo3PBdSA&s=19

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I like to work on my laptop not even connected to one let alone multiple monitors so I can be even less productive

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

LionArcher posted:

thats a lot of screens to ignore at the same time.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
getting the ai to automate my 10 in-person jobs. wish me luck.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

LionArcher posted:

no screen has Diablo, is this loser even trying?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LionArcher posted:

Imagine how much you could post

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Not much to be confused about, getting their treats is more important than anything else

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Imagine how much you could post

how long do think it'll be before someone uses AI to recreate Koalas March

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

hell yeah billy, i wonder what bar he just stumbled out of blind drunk at midnight (the traditional context for eating at dick's)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
lol my other neighbor just bought himself a 2002 Saleen S281 Mustang and it sounds like its broken garbage. anyways jay pls raise rates higher

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

a fascist is just a liberal who's been told no too many times

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Not much to be confused about, getting their treats is more important than anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Spot the loophole that's part of getting social services as an old: