Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Use Paranoia rules. Don't tell them what system they're playing and actively punish them if they ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

You should sit them on the ground, place a copy of the Players Handbook, and a copy of Blades in the Dark on the floor across from them and see which one they will crawl towards.

Wire mother? No! Storygames mother!

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Lasers and Feelings but you have to choose between food and comfort

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Youremother posted:

Use Paranoia rules. Don't tell them what system they're playing and actively punish them if they ask.
Hm, I'm changing my answer. Create 5e sheets with them and then run Paranoia for them instead. Be sure to post the trip reports.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Kestral posted:

Honestly I'd see if you can get them started on the games you actually want to play right off the bat, because the D&D brain damage is real and if your goal is to play other things, those games will go more smoothly if you're not having to unlearn bad habits.

Brain Damage was oWoD, not D&D. D&D was the Impossible Thing Before Breakfast.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

In what sense?

From Kestral's post history, it probably makes people digress about 4e on SA :v:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

You said it...

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

You said it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCdApJf5_g4

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone know if Hackmaster 5e is any good? The game made by the Knights of the Dinner table peeps?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It is not. It tries too hard to emulate the comics unfunnily and is a crunchy mess.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Thank you!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

It is not. It tries too hard to emulate the comics unfunnily and is a crunchy mess.

Are you sure you’re talking about Hackmaster 5e and not 4e? 4e was the one with the license from WotC for a lot of D&D stuff that was required to be a parody by the terms of that license. 5e came out after the license expired and is designed to be actually playable, with Garweeze Wurld an actually usable setting.

e: to be clear I don’t have hands on experience with either is why I didn’t pitch in originally, I’m just pointing out that what you’re describing sounds much closer to 4e than 5e.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 6, 2023

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

It's been a few years since I last played, but I remember Hackmaster 5e being mostly playable but with a lot of choices I felt were really dumb, many in the name of "realism":
  • You can't swim in heavy armor, no matter how skilled you are, because obviously that's realistic.
  • Leveling up and increasing skills takes a significant amount of downtime.
  • You can't raise skills past certain thresholds without someone more skilled than you training you unless you spend a ton of extra time doing nothing but training on your own.
  • There's a giant table of critical hit and critical miss results, which range from pointless to instadeath.
  • Stats are rolled randomly, in order. You can swap them around but at the cost of the points you get for improving stats, buying feats, or raising skills.
  • If you really don't like your stats you have to play a session with the character before trying again, unless you roll really badly, in which case you get a free do-over.
  • There's a rule that states if there's ever a rules contradiction or ambiguity, resolve it in the way that's worst for the player.
  • Backup characters are a mechanical thing in system, and in order to use them you have to split the experience you earn with them. So you have to choose between spending up to half your experience on a backup, or level faster but risk losing everything when you get unlucky.
  • Orcs are all rapists.

Pretty sure there were other things I didn't like, but I can't remember them right now.

senrath fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 6, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think you played with bad people.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

goatface posted:

I think you played with bad people.

I mean, yes, but these are all rules from the book. The badness was in not getting rid of them.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I think senrath could have mentioned they mean Hackmaster 5e for the update readers.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Yeah, Hackmaster 5e was them pulling a Warhammer and forgetting that the first edition (4e) was satire.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

hyphz posted:

I think senrath could have mentioned they mean Hackmaster 5e for the update readers.

Yeah, probably. I'll edit that in. Was thinking it was obvious from the discussion but forgot how the Awful App handles new posts and that there are enough people who have done dumb things in D&D 5e that I could've just been complaining about someone's really stupid houserules that I thought were official.

senrath fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 6, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Tbf, all of that does look like bad houserules from a toxic gaming table. It's the sort of stuff I'd expect from a single author heartbreaker.

Edit: Context: I know nothing about Hackmaster or Knights of the dinner table

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

goatface posted:

Tbf, all of that does look like bad houserules from a toxic gaming table. It's the sort of stuff I'd expect from a single author heartbreaker.

Edit: Context: I know nothing about Hackmaster or Knights of the dinner table

Knights of the Dinner Table is a comic that parodied that kind of toxic gaming experience. And then Hackmaster 5e just did it perfectly straight for some reason.

senrath fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 6, 2023

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

senrath posted:

Knights of the Dinner Table is a comic that parodied that kind of toxic gaming experience. And then Hackmaster 5e just did it perfectly straight for some reason.

It’s possibly because KoDT originally parodied that stuff, but after all the jokes were made, it turned into a kind of gaming soap opera and proxy adventure story a la CR but with occasional nods to the old parody stuff. Which meant that the Knights and Hackmaster went from a toxic group playing a grognardy system to an amazing group with the occasional falling out, and Hackmaster became an incredible system that could deliver all this amazing emergent gameplay while holding onto the groggy verisimilitude.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

senrath posted:

Most of those things sound like jokes from the comic except the "orcs are all rapists"-bit. KotD didn't land every joke perfectly, but I never recall it making light of sexual assault.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hypnobeard posted:

Yeah, Hackmaster 5e was them pulling a Warhammer and forgetting that the first edition (4e) was satire.

From the introduction to HackMaster Basic (5e):

quote:

Okay, a brief word on HackMaster’s unique style and a bit of back history. When HackMaster 4th Edition came out it earned something of a reputation among some gamers as being a ‘silly’ or ‘joke’ game. A few quickly dismissed it as being such. A pity. Fortunately tens of thousands of gamers were able to look beyond the veneer and recognize that there was a truly fun and unique game underneath and quickly embraced HackMaster as their game of choice. Just to clarify, our previous license required that HackMaster 4th Edition be a ‘parody’ and approval for HM product required a certain bit of ‘silliness’ to be sprinkled about. HackMaster Basic (and its upcoming successor, Advanced HackMaster) are free of any such licensing requirements.
So how has that affected the new game? We reeled in and scrubbed the game of much of the over-the-top “silly factor”. But... we decided to keep the fun. And most importantly, the attitude. So while game play takes itself very serious and is as rock solid as we could possibly make it — the rules are presented with the notion, “This is a game, it should be fun. It shouldn’t read like a text book”.
Finally, you can run your HackMaster campaign with as much humor or even silliness as you want. Or... you can run it deadly serious. It’s all up to you. HackMaster Basic has been developed to support both styles of play.

They knew and were intentionally moving away from that.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

PurpleXVI posted:

Most of those things sound like jokes from the comic except the "orcs are all rapists"-bit. KotD didn't land every joke perfectly, but I never recall it making light of sexual assault.

I thought so too, but then I checked the book.

“Hacklopedia of Beasts 5e” posted:

Females comprise a solid 50% of the population of the tribe, but few of these are actually orcish females; the vast majority are slaves taken in raids. Unless the tribe suffers from recent heavy losses or a shortage of females, male orcs dash she-orc runts on the ground shortly after birth and devour them. The females (orc or other race), called 'breeders' by the orcs, are held captive in an unlit cavern. Cold, naked and half-starved, when a male or enters the breedery, whether to feed them or otherwise, all females must prostate themselves, facing away from the male. The only attention shown them is an occasional sack of half-rotten food or violent rape by males, both happenings occur at random and unpredictable times.

DAMMIT RPG AUTHORS WILL YOU PLEASE JUST STOP BEING TERRIBLE

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Jesus loving Christ, why would you ever. Why would you ever.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah see, I don’t actually want to play the Bone Tomahawk RPG.

I’m good.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

What a delightfully lighthearted roleplaying game inspired by a comic full of jibes and gambols.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

PurpleXVI posted:

Jesus loving Christ, why would you ever. Why would you ever.

I mean, the most generous interpretation is that it's a parodic exaggeration of the trope of Orcs as utterly disgusting and irredeemable, thus giving PCs carte blanche to kill them at will (or, in this case, to raid/destroy their settlements at will); and most of the surrounding write-up is about how awful they are in various ways. But still, I didn't know.. they went that far or on that topic. (None of that ever came up in the comic, needless to say.)

Edit: Orcs aren't playable characters, but half-orcs are. And I think the "all orcs are rapists" comes out even more in the Player's Handbook summary.

Hackmaster 5e Player's Guide posted:

A half-orc character will always have an human mother and have been born and raised in human lands; those born in orc society are generally born into slavery (if male) and kept as breeders (if female) and therefore have no opportunity to become player characters. Although orcs breed with humans to produce half-orcs, it is never a matter of love. The act is violent and unwanted; any human (or non-orc in general) willing to sleep with an orc has passed beyond the realm of sanity, for there is nothing even remotely approaching compassion in these creatures.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 6, 2023

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Goblin Slayer had to come from somewhere

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

hyphz posted:

I mean, the most generous interpretation is that it's a parodic exaggeration of the trope of Orcs as utterly disgusting and irredeemable, thus giving PCs carte blanche to kill them at will (or, in this case, to raid/destroy their settlements at will); and most of the surrounding write-up is about how awful they are in various ways. But still, I didn't know.. they went that far or on that topic. (None of that ever came up in the comic, needless to say.)

Honestly, the most likely explanation I can think of is that RPG culture just had a lot of really gross default assumptions about orcs for a really long time and when they wrote Hackmaster 5e in 2012 everyone involved just thought it was fine. So, I guess we can stay positive and focus on how far we've come as a community?

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Couldn't they just make their orcs non-sentient? I never understood why people don't just make them basically robots made of meat by wizards if they want to have a thing that people can fight without feeling guilty about killing them.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
A fair number of games and stories do this, and there's also the parallel gambit of "no see these are demons, they're made of evil, it's actually 100% morally uncomplicated to kill them", but those gambits are actually even more steeped in racial ideology than your typical "savage" orcs, not less. Oh, word, these talking, tool-using humanoids are actually so fundamentally different from us in their very essence that we don't need to consider them people?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

You usually can't really kill demons anyway.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I can't believe Allison's name was an exaggeration

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

senrath posted:

It's been a few years since I last played, but I remember Hackmaster 5e being mostly playable but with a lot of choices I felt were really dumb, many in the name of "realism":
  • [Cut for length]
That game is responsible for one of the weirder buying experiences in my life*, which might self-doxx me a bit but whatever:

I had bought Hackmaster 5e and some other stuff roughly around the time of a move, and it got “return to sender”-ed. Luckily, my new place was close enough to one of the KenzerCo bigwigs that, when I emailed my new address, they asked if I wanted to come pick it up instead of paying for shipping again.

I agreed, drove to a house that was doubling as a warehouse (like a modern Kickstarter fulfillment situation), and proceeded to get “game store guy”d for like an hour, being anti-sold while I just wanted to pick up my stuff and go.

“You know how characters in D&D are bullshit superheroes?”
‘Uh…sure?’
“Well, Hackmaster is nothing like that! Characters are shitfarmers, and have to fight for every scrap of power, …:words:
‘Okay’
:words: …and as GM, your job is to make them suffer…”
‘please my family is waiting’
:words:
‘*desperately texting people to call me so I can escape*’

I remember reading through the core books and thinking it looked dated but okay, but even for the time full of enough fiddly bullshit I didn’t see myself ever playing or running it.

Must’ve blocked out the monster manual, though.

*weirdest by far was picking up Cooking Mama during the stage of the pandemic where stores actually took things seriously, after it had been pulled from the e-shop and partially recalled; a man clad head to toe in black, wearing a ski mask and gloves came out of a locked GameStop with a double-bagged game explaining that it shouldn’t exist

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 6, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

AmiYumi posted:

*weirdest by far was picking up Cooking Mama during the stage of the pandemic where stores actually took things seriously, after it had been pulled from the e-shop and partially recalled; a man clad head to toe in black, wearing a ski mask and gloves came out of a locked GameStop with a double-bagged game explaining that it shouldn’t exist

How did a Cooking Mama game get recalled? That series always seemed pretty inoffensive.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

How did a Cooking Mama game get recalled? That series always seemed pretty inoffensive.

Copyright issues iirc with the publisher

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That whole thing was weird, the game was ridiculously unoptimized and ran slow and heated up the console so there was a rumor that it was mining cryptocurrency. Not helped by the fact that at some point one of the companies involved in the game made one of those say-nothing press releases about looking into crypto/blockchain bullshit for specious reasons.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
You may have met the real Weird Pete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

BattleMaster posted:

That whole thing was weird, the game was ridiculously unoptimized and ran slow and heated up the console so there was a rumor that it was mining cryptocurrency. Not helped by the fact that at some point one of the companies involved in the game made one of those say-nothing press releases about looking into crypto/blockchain bullshit for specious reasons.

The best explanation I've heard is that someone probably said they'd include The Power Of The Blockchain to get funding, and then all the time they should have spent on optimizing was spent trying to fit blockchain in and then ripping it out at the last minute.