Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

It's pretty disingenuous to pretend to not see how employment is tied to the situation with inflation, and no-one thinks inflation is stabilizing the economy or good for average americans. The economy is certainly caught in a contradictory situation where high employment = bad but that doesn't mean it isn't true to some degree

Like, we can talk about the Fed or our fiat currency or whatever but it's utter virtue signaling to just harp on reducing employment while turning a blind eye to the very real consequences of uncontrolled inflation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

hobbez posted:

It's pretty disingenuous to pretend to not see how employment is tied to the situation with inflation, and no-one thinks inflation is stabilizing the economy or good for average americans.

Prices go up forever whether people are getting paid more or not

Consumer credit took off starting in the 1980s specifically because the gap between what poo poo cost and what people were getting paid got too big to ignore.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Willa Rogers posted:

lmao at shrike triggering today's Bad-Dad Anecdote Hour & everyone falling for it.

Would you stop with this already its such a tiring gimmick

You don't have to defend all the Debras and Phils of the world and when you careen into every conversation like this about the boomers it makes you less and less sympathetic

You are the boomer we are talking about right now and it sucks and i wish you would stop. You are a way better poster when you're contributing something substantive instead of policing our conversations about our lovely elders

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

willa's right

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Prices go up forever whether people are getting paid more or not

Only under particular circumstances, historically prices have been pretty static or have had huge peaks and troughs depending on their links to agriculture and things like balance of payments when the world was on the gold standard. The constant presence of meaningful inflation is something still measurable in decades, not an economic law, and the expansion of credit to provide a consumption base beyond the values given to workers is due to the modern financial system allowing more monopolistic industries to overexpand, overcharge and squeeze that value from the present and future for longer than ever before kicking off the next crash. It's absolutely not being driven by wages because no one is getting raises above inflation but inflation is definitely due our current economic forms and could be reduced to nothingness with enough changes to them.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i'm not opposed to turning coachella or bonnaroo into a work camp

sturgis

vyLkinSinksTheShip
Apr 6, 2023

by vyelkin

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i'm not opposed to turning coachella or bonnaroo into a work camp
to do what? build inferior defenses for the alien invasion of 2040?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mirthless posted:

Would you stop with this already its such a tiring gimmick

You don't have to defend all the Debras and Phils of the world and when you careen into every conversation like this about the boomers it makes you less and less sympathetic

You are the boomer we are talking about right now and it sucks and i wish you would stop. You are a way better poster when you're contributing something substantive instead of policing our conversations about our lovely elders

- Settle down Beavis.
- Willa's correct.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Boomers deserve worse.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Puppy Burner posted:

Boomers deserve worse.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Puppy Burner posted:

Boomers deserve worse.

Capitalists deserve worse. Capitalists created generations to pit labor against each other.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

namesake posted:

Only under particular circumstances, historically prices have been pretty static or have had huge peaks and troughs depending on their links to agriculture and things like balance of payments when the world was on the gold standard. The constant presence of meaningful inflation is something still measurable in decades, not an economic law, and the expansion of credit to provide a consumption base beyond the values given to workers is due to the modern financial system allowing more monopolistic industries to overexpand, overcharge and squeeze that value from the present and future for longer than ever before kicking off the next crash. It's absolutely not being driven by wages because no one is getting raises above inflation but inflation is definitely due our current economic forms and could be reduced to nothingness with enough changes to them.

I dunno, don't most reports show wages are rising, albeit hugely variably by sector? I personally have gotten about 20-30% increase in comp over the past 18 months or so (but this is partially because I am in a chronically underpaid service profession). The fierce competition for labor and corresponding wages increases over the past few years seems pretty well demonstrated

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what if we had high employment and low
prices

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

Xers rule. Boomers drool.

While the latter is true, the former is taking longer than expected to come to be.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

hobbez posted:

It's pretty disingenuous to pretend to not see how employment is tied to the situation with inflation, and no-one thinks inflation is stabilizing the economy or good for average americans. The economy is certainly caught in a contradictory situation where high employment = bad but that doesn't mean it isn't true to some degree

Like, we can talk about the Fed or our fiat currency or whatever but it's utter virtue signaling to just harp on reducing employment while turning a blind eye to the very real consequences of uncontrolled inflation

Hm, yeah that's ideology.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

hobbez posted:

I dunno, don't most reports show wages are rising, albeit hugely variably by sector? I personally have gotten about 20-30% increase in comp over the past 18 months or so (but this is partially because I am in a chronically underpaid service profession). The fierce competition for labor and corresponding wages increases over the past few years seems pretty well demonstrated

Yeah, don't think wages are what's driving inflation.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if companies and landlords lowered prices, inflation would go down

Apr 7, 2003

Our entire modern regime of credit scores measuring your worth as an American and gating your access to jobs, safety, etc got started pretty recently, the late 1980s. The people in charge had a choice wrt making sure consumption continued to rise - pay people more, or make consumer credit ubiquitous. They chose the latter and now you can pay for your groceries in four easy installments with Klaarna.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

hobbez posted:

I'm assuming you're in the USA so here's your national figures for the last few years: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1351276/wage-growth-vs-inflation-us/

Something broke in the economy and inflation started rising and then wages have risen but failed to match (right up to Feb 23 it seems) - that's the timeline. The overall result is less of the total production of society ends up in the hands of workers and more going to profits.

namesake has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Apr 6, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

hobbez posted:

Maybe showering the rich with cash via PPP and bailouts and MIC blank check bills does more for monetary inflation than regular people having a job that barely pays them enough to live in accordance with 2019 prices?

It's just funny how wages, hitherto notably already not keeping pace with the normal amount of inflation anyway, start go up a little bit and then the hammer needs to come down and put a stop to all that. Like even if one wanted to be a supply side dipshit about this housing alone is probably driving demand for higher wages because uh, people need to live somewhere and the landlords keep jacking up the price. No worry about the price spiral there of course.

vyLkinSinksTheShip
Apr 6, 2023

by vyelkin
Airbus to Double Production in China as It Moves Ahead With 2nd plane assembly line

quote:

European planemaker Airbus said Thursday that it will double its production capacity in China, as it seeks to bolster its footprint in a crucial market and sidestep potential geopolitical risks.

Asia and China in particular are key targets for both Airbus and its American rival Boeing, which are looking to capitalise on surging demand for air travel by a rapidly expanding middle class.

“It makes a lot of sense for us, as the Chinese market keeps growing, to be serving local for the Chinese airlines, and probably some other customers in the region,” Guillaume Faury said during a trip to China, where he is accompanying French President Emmanuel Macron.

Faury later signed a framework agreement to build a second final assembly line (FAL) at its factory in Tianjin, northeast China, for Airbus’s hugely popular A320 family of medium-haul jets, at a ceremony attended by Macron and Chinese President Xi Jinping.

The new assembly line will begin operations in late 2025.

“It’s a way to be probably more in sync with the way the world is developing, with tensions and with more complexities of doing business,” Faury said.

“We are delivering more planes in China than what we can produce in China, but the lines are capable of serving other customers,” he added.

The new Chinese site was part of Airbus’s goal of raising its global annual production of A320 and A321 jets to 75 a month in 2026, up from 43 last year.

The company has an order backlog of around 7,300 planes, with customers often having to wait years for delivery.

Airbus’s first assembly site in Tianjin, opened in 2008, is turning out four A320s a month, and the company aims to up that to six a month this year.

– Huge potential –

China is also pouring money into state-run manufacturer Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China (COMAC), which is developing a narrow-bodied C919 jet to potentially rival Airbus’s A320 and Boeing’s B737.

In the meantime, Chinese carriers are big plane buyers, with Air China, China Eastern, China Southern and Shenzen Airlines announcing last July an order of 292 A320s.

The Chinese market represents one-fifth of global passenger air traffic, and Airbus expects growth of 5.3 percent a year through 2041, well above the 3.6 percent growth forecast at the global level.

That would put China’s need for more efficient, less polluting planes over the next 20 years to around 8,500 models, Airbus says.

Meanwhile Boeing, which builds all its planes at US factories, has seen Chinese sales crumble since 2019.

Boeing delivered just 12 planes to Chinese customers last year, compared to 95 for Airbus, and has booked just 18 new orders in China since 2018.

Boeing chief Dave Calhoun said in October that his firm is “clear-eyed about the geopolitical risks that are out there, and we are not going to impart new risks on our investors”. :haw:

With the new Tianjin expansion, Airbus will have 10 final assembly lines (FAL) worldwide — two at its headquarters in Toulouse, southwest France; four in Hamburg, Germany; two in Mobile, Alabama and the two in China.
https://www.digitaljournal.com/business/airbus-to-open-2nd-plane-assembly-line-in-china-double-output/article

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

euphronius posted:

what if we had high employment and low
prices

Low prices to you too!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

euphronius posted:

I wonder when clothes repair comes back big. I think it’s still cheaper just to buy new.

i buy really nice denim (it pretty much all originates in Japan) and have used someone to repair them for the last several years. Definitely much cheaper to repair these. got at least 500 wears out of another pair with four repairs before I decided it was "totaled."

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Low prices to you too!

Apr 7, 2003

namesake posted:

I'm assuming you're in the USA so here's your national figures for the last few years: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1351276/wage-growth-vs-inflation-us/

Something broke in the economy and inflation started rising and then wages have risen but failed to match (right up to Feb 23 it seems) - that's the timeline. The overall result is less of the total production of society ends up in the hands of workers and more going to profits.

gosh, maybe we shouldn't have spent the last decade giving the ultra-rich free money to corner the markets on everything from housing to used cars

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

hobbez posted:

the fed thinks that high employment among non-techies/non degree havers is bad and tried to crush it, then found out all the useless jobs that are at rotten companies are all the politically favored ones, swooped in to save them, and now has no loving idea what to do

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

I don't really disagree with anything you all are saying.

To be clear, I don't think employment/rising wages are the only driver of inflation, just one of many factors. However, raising interest rates isn't only meant to reduce unemployment... It suppresses economic activity generally, and higher unemployment is a side effect. Higher unemployment is just where the most pain is felt

I still think it's just scoring cheap political points to rail on how interest rates increase unemployment without proposing an alternative policy option that will reduce inflation

Apr 7, 2003

It's fun to look at things only rich people buy and see the prices spiraling out of control since 2010 because 90% of the money made since then has gone to those hundred rich guys and they're competing with each other

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

hobbez posted:

To be clear, I don't think employment/rising wages are the only driver of inflation, just one of many factors. However, raising interest rates isn't only meant to reduce unemployment... It suppresses economic activity generally, and higher unemployment is a side effect. Higher unemployment is just where the most pain is felt

I still think it's just scoring cheap political points to rail on how interest rates increase unemployment without proposing an alternative policy option that will reduce inflation

The Federal Reserve and many private sector ceos have all agreed that wages are not contributing to high inflation, but companies looking to exert pricing power.

Triggering a recession to stop wage growth and increase unemployment is about disciplining labor.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

hobbez posted:

The only thing that unemployment will lower is wages tho.

Labor functions like a market the same way everything else does under capitalism. More unemployment means a larger supply of labor. Increases in supply mean the lowering of prices. And we call the price of labor "wages".

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

president nixon we need you to do price controls come back please

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

hobbez posted:

Price controls. Work everytime.

Efb

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

pretty sure wages arent keeping up with inflation

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Price controls. Work everytime.

Efb

username/post

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

HallelujahLee posted:

pretty sure wages arent keeping up with inflation

They aren't and wages only started rising after high inflstion had become entrenched.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

hobbez posted:

Wages can only ever squeeze profits, not increase prices unless there are no profits at all because wages are a cost of production and so will reduce profit margin rather than spill out to the price. A wage-cost spiral assumes that businesses are determined and able to retain their total profits by then charging higher final prices but that can only be true if there is a change in the power relationship between buyers and sellers like an increase in monopoly power meaning the seller can start extracting higher profits because there are less alternatives or there's a general unmooring of economic life which suddenly means the old routines of economic life, the assumed norms no longer hold true and then it's about who can use the power they have to the greatest effect and gain the most. A period of significantly higher inflation and higher profits is a power move by the capitalist and that's the root cause.

The counterproposal is increased strength of workers to instantly seize that margin back or a more abstract government intervention to start putting hard limits on prices or profits and so end the motivation for the capitalist.

Also the logic behind increasing interest rates to stop inflation doesn't have increased unemployment as a side effect - it's the direct cause of reducing inflation. The central bank toolkit of controlling interest rates is based on the logic of the Phillips curve which says that at a certain level of high employment there is an inflationary pressure and so increasing unemployment removes that pressure and causes inflation to be lower, it's the damage to business which is a side effect not unemployment. It has an inflation target and it achieves the target by supposing it knows the NAIRU of the economy - the (Non Accelerating Inflation) (Rate of Unemployment) which it tries to cause.

namesake has issued a correction as of 20:30 on Apr 6, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

namesake posted:

Wages can only ever squeeze profits, not increase prices unless there are no profits at all because wages are a cost of production and so will reduce profit margin rather than spill out to the price. A wage-cost spiral assumes that businesses are determined and able to retain their total profits by then charging higher final prices but that can only be true if there is a change in the power relationship between buyers and sellers like an increase in monopoly power meaning the seller can start extracting higher profits because there are less alternatives or there's a general unmooring of economic life which suddenly means the old routines of economic life, the assumed norms no longer hold true and then it's about who can use the power they have to the greatest effect and gain the most. A period of significantly higher inflation and higher profits is a power move by the capitalist and that's the root cause.

The counterproposal is increased strength of workers to instantly seize that margin back or a more abstract government intervention to start putting hard limits on prices or profits and so end the motivation for the capitalist.

What percentage of businesses operating expenses on average are wages?

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/career-workplace/2023/04/06/americans-working-less-pandemic-remote-hybrid-covid/stories/202304060086

quote:

Americans are spending less time working than they did before the pandemic. That’s good for many of them, but it’s not necessarily great for the inflation-fighting Federal Reserve.

The average U.S. workweek has dropped by more than a half-hour over the past three years, according to new research by former Bureau of Labor Statistics Commissioner Katharine Abraham and her University of Maryland colleague Lea Rendell. That’s enabled some Americans to emulate their European counterparts and spend more time on leisure and other activities.

But it’s also meant a shortfall of labor — equivalent to 2.4 million employees, according to the paper. That shortfall adds to pressures in a hot jobs market that Fed Chair Jerome Powell and his colleagues have been trying to cool, in an effort to bring down an inflation rate that’s more than double their 2% goal.

What’s going on with weekly hours is “a very significant part of the story why labor supply is so low,” Stephanie Aaronson, senior associate director of the division of research and statistics at the Fed, said at a conference last week where the research was discussed.

In his commentary at the Brookings Institution conference, Washington University in St. Louis professor Yongseok Shin highlighted three groups that have reduced their hours: educated young men, high-earners — who cut their workweek by 1.5 hours — and workaholics — who reduced time on the job to “only” 52 hours from 55 in 2019.

lol

people work more and make more - price go up!
people work less and make less - price go up!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

‘We may be looking at the end of capitalism’: One of the world’s oldest and largest investment banks warns ‘Greedflation’ has gone too far

https://fortune.com/2023/04/05/end-of-capitalism-inflation-greedflation-societe-generale-corporate-profits/ posted:

Albert Edwards, a global strategist at the 159-year-old bank Société Générale, just released a blistering note on the phenomenon that has come to be called Greedflation. Corporations, particularly in developed economies like the U.S. and U.K., have used rising raw material costs amid the pandemic and the war in Ukraine as an “excuse” to raise prices and expand profit margins to new heights, he said. And the French investment bank isn’t just historic: It’s one of the select banks considered to be “systemically important” by the Financial Stability Board, the G20’s international body dedicated to safeguarding the global financial system.

Furthermore, Edwards wrote, in the Tuesday edition of his Global Strategy Weekly, after four decades of working in finance, he’s never seen anything like the “unprecedented” and “astonishing” levels of corporate Greedflation in this economic cycle. To his point, a January study from the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City found that “markup growth”—the increase in the ratio between the price a firm charges and its cost of production—was a far more important factor driving inflation in 2021 than it has been throughout economic history.

Typically, higher commodity prices and labor costs squeeze corporate margins, especially if the economy is slowing. But Edwards pointed to data released by the Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) last week that showed profit margins still near a record high relative to costs in the fourth quarter. The strategist said he assumed margins would have “declined sharply” at the end of last year as the economy slowed, but instead, “How wrong I was!”

Edwards added that he fears the “super-normal profit margins” of corporations in the U.S. and abroad could eventually “inflame social unrest” if consumers continue to struggle with inflation.

“The end of Greedflation must surely come. Otherwise, we may be looking at the end of capitalism,” he warned. “This is a big issue for policymakers that simply cannot be ignored any longer.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

who could have predicted this???