Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

Do the horses only cum once in their lives or something

horse-hog crankers get paid a lot of money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

SorePotato posted:

if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/NewBlackMan/status/1643810813923192832?t=qFPtvsz1qC91b1nn99xLWQ&s=19

i really really wish somebody here would make 'ThanosDustedFromEndgame' Smiley or something cuz lol that article title

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

https://twitter.com/NewBlackMan/status/1643810813923192832?t=qFPtvsz1qC91b1nn99xLWQ&s=19

i really really wish somebody here would make 'ThanosDusted' Smiley or something
my community college in california was great. basically free, they get you on a course tract list when you sign up and print out what will transfer (igetc, etc). i learned way more at 3 years of CC than my last 2 years transferred at a UC

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Xaris posted:

my community college in california was great. basically free, they get you on a course tract list when you sign up and print out what will transfer (igetc, etc). i learned way more at 3 years of CC than my last 2 years transferred at a UC

community college is just a longer-form scam and you dont even get a job at the end >:( just go to trade school :)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i dropped out of community college and im very successful. thank ug oons.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

anime was right posted:

:hf:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Xaris posted:

:same: I loved my community college and kinda scorn my CSU. It was way easier to sell books and meet people at community college because it was more compact, where the CSU is on a huge plot of land and everything is spaced out. 20 bux a unit at the CC. The CSU raised my tuition retroactively, so I had to pay more even after I had already paid for the semester, I made sure to note that when they hit me up for donations and despite not asking for removal or cussing at them, they never called me again lol.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SorePotato posted:

https://twitter.com/hate5six/status/1633484990427037696?s=20

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/YahooFinance/status/1644393238936027164?s=20

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Blackrock has fallen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US_QP5yuYuI

Stock seems to be ok though.

insurance payouts will be generous

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

do they not have self check outs in 65% of their stores?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

anime was right posted:

Thank you, ug

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Zodium posted:

willa's right

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Some of our deliveries this week had drivers claiming that the freight business is getting wrecked by low bids. The whiplash from covid prices during the supply chain issues to now has pushed it down to around $1 per mile while bidding sites for loads are seeing ranges from $3,000 to $500 as people undercut eachother to try and get any kind of work at all

I assume our extremely proactive, useful and insightful government is ready to handle this so that once all of the truckers go bankrupt or quit we won't have massive delivery shortages of things like food and medicine in the next year

i mean this would be a good time to worry about that kind of thing since we didn't plan for this downturn or bother worrying about how to keep an essential work role stable during a rollercoaster of extreme highs and extreme lows due to extraordinary circumstances

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

surely this will save them money over paying an 80 y/o on food stamps minimum wage

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Horse people are the biggest freaks in America and no one else comes close

This is some hosed up anti-centaur racism right here.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Don’t worry, everything will just go by rail. The government promised everyone that the rail system is fine, and the employees are properly compensated.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1644374089161637888

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I tried community college when I was 20, penniless, had no car, was working a full time min wage poo poo job, and was living on a friend's couch/homeless and, wouldn't you know it, all of that chaos, difficulty, stress, malnourishment, undiagnosed depression/anxiety, and total abdication of adult help and direction in my life for the prior seven years lead to me having like five chain panic attacks and dropping out; a shocking and unexpected outcome!

Many years later, my wife finished grad school, got a good, stable job, and told me I should try going back to school if I wanted. It was terrifying and hard for someone who felt he didn't have what it took, but I managed to get scholarships and financial aid to do 2 years at a great local community college and transfer UC Davis to finish my last 2. Managed a 3.8 GPA throughout. Graduated with zero debt, a degree in a field I enjoy (digital media/cinema/videography), and a better understanding of myself and the world. Unfortunately, I graduated directly into the pandemic, so I couldn't get a job for a year, but then I got a great one in my field, and consider myself very fortunate.

I couldn't have done it without my wife being an incredible partner who basically said "I'll hold our life together while you do this, as long as you can do it without accruing debt." Not having to worry about rent, food, and transportation really made me understand why kids whose parents have money can easily get into and subsequently breeze through college, while the poor and disenfranchised rarely make it. Not having to worry about immediately servicing massive student debt also meant I could be a little more patient in getting a good job instead of needing to immediately take the first job in any field that would give me money.

Anyway that's my story, school shouldn't just be free, they should pay students to do it because it's very challenging and is socially a net good!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, that line in Russia isn’t to a bank in all likelihood, at least not recently.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, that line in Russia isn’t to a bank in all likelihood, just saying.

it could be to the conscription office

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

it could be to the conscription office

If it was it would be in September 2022.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
that’s the line to kiss vladamir putin

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

skooma512 posted:

:same: I loved my community college and kinda scorn my CSU. It was way easier to sell books and meet people at community college because it was more compact, where the CSU is on a huge plot of land and everything is spaced out. 20 bux a unit at the CC. The CSU raised my tuition retroactively, so I had to pay more even after I had already paid for the semester, I made sure to note that when they hit me up for donations and despite not asking for removal or cussing at them, they never called me again lol.

going from a cc to a csu didn't really feel different, just more expensive. like the education and facilities quality were identical, but the csu was 4x more. then I couldn't get into a lynchpin course that my degree runs through in the middle of the tract for an entire year due to the # of students so i ended up basically wasting 2 semensters.

basically every day i regret not learning to be an electrician but whatever

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

I don’t see how they could lay off any more employees. I worked for WM between 2014 and 2018 and between that time they reduced staff/hours by ~30%. According to people I know who still work there, in the last three years, they’ve cut that by another half. Stores don’t even have the staffing to stock shelves anymore in most locations.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Some choice stats from that community college article:

quote:

The number of students at community colleges has fallen 37 percent since 2010, or by nearly 2.6 million
nearly half of students drop out, within a year, of the community college where they started. Only slightly more than 40 percent finish within six years. That was up by just under 1 percentage point last year from the year before.
While four out of five students who begin at a community college say they plan to go on to get a bachelor’s degree, only about one in six of them actually manages to do it. That’s down by nearly 15 percent since 2020
Because of an “underinvestment” in advising, for example, community college students in California who transfer to four-year universities end up taking an average of 26 more credits than they need in a process that is “far more difficult and complex than it needs to be,”
Half of all Hispanic and 40 percent of all Black students in higher education are enrolled at community colleges

College recruiting and retention has grown within the past few years. You have groups of people dedicated to getting kids in classes and making sure they stay there.

err has issued a correction as of 23:34 on Apr 7, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

err posted:

Some choice stats from that community college article:

College recruiting and retention has grown within the past few years. You have groups of people dedicated to getting kids in classes and making sure they stay there.

yeah the one thing the article is really missing is college industrial complex massively overexpanded to vore the entire millennial generation from around 2003-2013, and millennials were largely railroaded into academic regardless if it was good idea or not.

zoomers are vastly smaller as a generation and are not being railroaded into academic as hard. so there's a ton of open capacity and massive enrollment deficits across state-schools (particularly second-third tier or whatever you want to call it); now everyone is absolutely desperate for enrollment. CC was better back in 2005 for me because i couldn't get right into my local UC since i was a dumdum and allowed me to transfer; however, if i was able to get right in year0 i wouldn't have done CC even though that would have been a big and costly mistake. i think a lot of people are skipping CC because they're being railroaded into a full-blown university due to desperation for enrollment

basically college enrollmenbt is fallling generally across the board except for the super elite desirable ivy/top10 schools (and yes, ranking is absolutely bullshit but everyone has bought into the garbage)

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

I tried community college when I was 20, penniless, had no car, was working a full time min wage poo poo job, and was living on a friend's couch/homeless and, wouldn't you know it, all of that chaos, difficulty, stress, malnourishment, undiagnosed depression/anxiety, and total abdication of adult help and direction in my life for the prior seven years lead to me having like five chain panic attacks and dropping out; a shocking and unexpected outcome!

Many years later, my wife finished grad school, got a good, stable job, and told me I should try going back to school if I wanted. It was terrifying and hard for someone who felt he didn't have what it took, but I managed to get scholarships and financial aid to do 2 years at a great local community college and transfer UC Davis to finish my last 2. Managed a 3.8 GPA throughout. Graduated with zero debt, a degree in a field I enjoy (digital media/cinema/videography), and a better understanding of myself and the world. Unfortunately, I graduated directly into the pandemic, so I couldn't get a job for a year, but then I got a great one in my field, and consider myself very fortunate.

I couldn't have done it without my wife being an incredible partner who basically said "I'll hold our life together while you do this, as long as you can do it without accruing debt." Not having to worry about rent, food, and transportation really made me understand why kids whose parents have money can easily get into and subsequently breeze through college, while the poor and disenfranchised rarely make it. Not having to worry about immediately servicing massive student debt also meant I could be a little more patient in getting a good job instead of needing to immediately take the first job in any field that would give me money.

Anyway that's my story, school shouldn't just be free, they should pay students to do it because it's very challenging and is socially a net good!

Good story. Im also lucky to have a great spouse that helped get me through things. I went to school mainly for design but thank gently caress I did web development on the side.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
gently caress community college, let's get drunk and eat chicken fingers

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

The only remaining jobs left will go to loss prevention.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Some of our deliveries this week had drivers claiming that the freight business is getting wrecked by low bids. The whiplash from covid prices during the supply chain issues to now has pushed it down to around $1 per mile while bidding sites for loads are seeing ranges from $3,000 to $500 as people undercut eachother to try and get any kind of work at all

I assume our extremely proactive, useful and insightful government is ready to handle this so that once all of the truckers go bankrupt or quit we won't have massive delivery shortages of things like food and medicine in the next year

i mean this would be a good time to worry about that kind of thing since we didn't plan for this downturn or bother worrying about how to keep an essential work role stable during a rollercoaster of extreme highs and extreme lows due to extraordinary circumstances

Not sure what you're talking about. they figured out how to address this problem in the railroad industry in december.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Walmart doesn't even have tap-to-pay in the year 2023.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

gently caress community college, let's get drunk and eat chicken fingers

good sales pitch, im in.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

that’s the line to kiss vladamir putin

speaking of which...

quote:

Bank of America reportedly ended an online client conference earlier than planned this week after some speakers triggered an uproar by making remarks that were deemed pro-Russian.

The bank nixed three planned informational sessions that would have covered topics related to the Russia-Ukraine war, such as US economic sanctions against Moscow and the state of US-Russian relations, the Financial Times reported on Thursday.

The conference was originally planned as a two-day event beginning Tuesday.

A pair of attendees told the outlet that BofA Securities’ head of international relations, Daniel Sheehan, criticized Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky during the event.

Sheehan allegedly described Zelensky as a “master manipulator and mimic” and a subject of “serious concerns” among US officials, according to the report.

A bank spokesperson reportedly pushed back on the characterization of the remarks made by Sheehan and said he was referring to views held by others, not his personal opinion.

Another speaker, University of Rhode Island professor Nicolai Petro, reportedly rankled some guests with his views on the Russia-Ukraine war.

In remarks from the event that he shared with the FT, Petro described Ukraine as “the overwhelming loser” of the war “under any scenario.”

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Saltpowered posted:

I don’t see how they could lay off any more employees. I worked for WM between 2014 and 2018 and between that time they reduced staff/hours by ~30%. According to people I know who still work there, in the last three years, they’ve cut that by another half. Stores don’t even have the staffing to stock shelves anymore in most locations.

from the story:

quote:

It was not immediately clear if this move would lead to more layoffs at the country's biggest private employer, with about 1.7 million U.S. workers and another 60,000 abroad. The company said the moves would reduce the need for lower-paid roles.

"As the changes are implemented across the business, one of the outcomes is roles that require less physical labor but have a higher rate of pay," the Bentonville, Arkansas-based retailer said in a filing.

"Over time, the company anticipates increased throughput per person, due to the automation while maintaining or even increasing its number of associates as new roles are created," it added.

About 55% of packages that it processes through its fulfillment centers will be moved through automated facilities by January 2026, improving unit cost averages by about 20%, the company said.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Rubel vs the dollar is still up 2% y/y

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

Walmart doesn't even have tap-to-pay in the year 2023.

have to take the card our like a pleb. ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

RadiRoot posted:

have to take the card our like a pleb. ugh
i havent carried my wallet or cash on me in like 3 years now. sorry buskers but apple pay ftw