Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Ham Cheeks posted:

explain the significance for the dumb ie me

france is about to experience american democracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ham Cheeks posted:

A significant element of the leverage the US has over the world economy is the dollar as the cornerstone of multiple market and international exchanges. You know, on account of the US having the prerogative to print them at will

Dedollarization, or people choosing to engage in transactions with other currencies, means the American empires grasp on the world is weakening by inches

There will be consequences, possibly involving the US lashing out in various ways down the line

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

if they don't like us loving with their money they're really not gonna like how we gently caress with them when we can't gently caress with their money

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Smythe posted:

i have a normal job which pays alright. not great. maybe more at another job sometime. i think most goons are average., wait. isnt that how normal distributions work?

pay is nowhere close to normally distributed tho lol

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

if they don't like us loving with their money they're really not gonna like how we gently caress with them when we can't gently caress with their money

yea but american diplomacy bluescreens whenever it encounters an adversary that can gently caress up an aircraft carrier group, or otherwise play the "we've got nukes, lmao" card

silentsnack has issued a correction as of 23:59 on Apr 9, 2023

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ham Cheeks posted:

America's only exports is the dollar and weapons. Less people using our stuff leaves the nation with a whole lot of weapons unsold and that's bad for number

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

master crafted wooden sandals for 500 bucks then just leaving them somewhere to be found. another great day out here, doing my part to collapse the US!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

took you idiot euros this long to realize it??

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

silentsnack posted:

yea but american diplomacy bluescreens whenever it encounters an adversary that can gently caress up an aircraft carrier group, or otherwise play the "we've got nukes, lmao" card

I’m sure we’ll just force the British to give us the deactivation codes for the exocets

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

took you idiot euros this long to realize it??

Yeah, the Saudis just negotiated peace with Iran. Bloods in the water.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The picture they have on the article on the front page of reddit owns

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
macron loves to hear himself talk. and he's still a neolib at heart, i seriously doubt this means anything.

poor xi though, spending 6 hours with that tedious moron must be hell.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

actionjackson posted:

pay is nowhere close to normally distributed tho lol

thats true

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

is there any way to know the actual strength of the output of the US, without the financialization aspect? as in, how much do we actually produce that isn’t numbers inflated on a spreadsheet. the orthodox line when I was growing up is that despite a large amount of the GDP being fictitious finance bullshit, we still have pretty substantial manufacturing output. it would be pretty hilarious if the rest of the world realizes the only thing we export is toxic culture and assault rifles.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

If emannual wants to be the next degualle and pretend france is still relevant he's gonna have to do more than talk to xi

third empire or bust you coward

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
lol the moment the EU starts buying oil in yuan america is going to launch the nukes on every large city in the world, if america can't have the global currency no one can

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shipon posted:

lol the moment the EU starts buying oil in yuan america is going to launch the nukes on every large city in the world, if america can't have the global currency no one can

keep talking like that and you're getting sanctioned

sanctions for everyone

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shipon posted:

there’s a reason US did gladios, expanded nato and has 1000s a of bases on foreign land, and has enslaved most people to it. it ain’t gunna be nukes but definitely paramilitary fascist uprisings orchestrated and run by US

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

meanolmrcloud posted:

it would be pretty hilarious if the rest of the world realizes the only thing we export is toxic culture and assault rifles.

if we all work together, we can export the us dollar too. it's this new movement im starting and it's gaining traction based on what i've seen aroud here. a lot of american looking people buying things. this might be the push we need..

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

we also export democracy and sometimes extra democracy in case the person currently in charge of your country isn't the person we want to be in charge

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

in the end gently caress jack keorauc and his dumb book i wish they did publish it in scroll form so i could use it as toilet paper

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

meanolmrcloud posted:

is there any way to know the actual strength of the output of the US, without the financialization aspect? as in, how much do we actually produce that isn’t numbers inflated on a spreadsheet. the orthodox line when I was growing up is that despite a large amount of the GDP being fictitious finance bullshit, we still have pretty substantial manufacturing output. it would be pretty hilarious if the rest of the world realizes the only thing we export is toxic culture and assault rifles.

We have an enormous agricultural exporting industry for starters. No other country in the world has the variety and quantity we do due to incredible fortune with geography

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

atelier morgan posted:

after being homeless for a long time (thrown out by parents multiple times) and at best working under the table i got one bottom barrel job with the state i clung to for a decade before i broke me enough i can't work anymore (well, i could work, if anywhere was willing to accept 'its a crapshoot whether she'll be able to work on any specific workday' rather than sticking to a schedule or plan and that's just not compatible with capital) i can't avoid accepting financial assistance but homelessness makes the act of doing so pathological as well

still got rid of everything i owned that i enjoyed or was sentimental (or both, miss my legos lol), still live ready to get rid of everything at a moments' notice because of the obsessive expectation that the moment you accept financial assistance from someone you have set a moment in the future where the unstoppable growth of resentment will destroy that relationship forever. time forever converges to a horizon at the next crisis where the street (and i can't work, don't have a car and am trans; likely death) lurks and it can be pushed back months at best

so long as i've had boxes in a move i've never unpacked them

still, makes me drat grateful that ebt and medicaid are actually available in this state, because i've been at the scrounging scraps from leftovers and sneaking poo poo from pantries level before (you definitely do not ask for food if you are already relying of goodwill for shelter) and would not like to go back

This is rough as hell, I'm sorry it's like this. It makes me sick that this country is a greased waterslide for anyone in this country who deviates from any perfunctory norm. Have you looked into local food Mutual Aid groups? I do a lot of work with food security Mutual Aid in my city and there are a lot of people who really care and are doing incredible legwork to keep food in people's pantries by quickly redistributing any excess the network locates. I hope you can find something like that which might make your life a little easier! Reach out to your area DSA, I bet they'll have a Mutual Aid working group that could point you in useful directions!

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

macron is insufferable and I pity anyone having to talk to him for that long yikes

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1645220525122232321?t=PdCtmtnQZ1V9uRaSL8XbSA&s=19

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

mastershakeman posted:

We have an enormous agricultural exporting industry for starters. No other country in the world has the variety and quantity we do due to incredible fortune with geography

if only the entire continent wasn't so insanely cursed due to being built by genocidal colonizers

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

australia's probably the most extreme example of a country sitting on a pile of resources (literally a continent's worth) and with a population of 26 million
they're probaby among the best positioned to weather the next couple decades

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

this is a great way to ticket people for texting and driving

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ham Cheeks posted:

americas been essentially running the world economy for the last 70 years or so and the world is starting to think that not’s such a good thing

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

americas been essentially running the world economy for the last 70 years or so and the world is starting to think that not’s such a good thing

they're right though

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

shrike82 posted:

australia's probably the most extreme example of a country sitting on a pile of resources (literally a continent's worth) and with a population of 26 million

unless its always on fire.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

does france have any pipelines?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Xaris posted:

cars are bad but that's just not true for maybe more than >1 person. planes are expensive these days and 2 ppl in a car is still cheaper

the route 66 symbolic iconography of "hitting the open road" is also a touchstone in americana culture. it's akin to eating turkey and candied yams on thanksgiving. theres 60+ years of cultural propaganda about "freedom of the open road" and associated pop culture

lol train and plane tickets can be cheap when properly planned which these people could as they plan their gas guzzling car trip for a year. I am not sure what part of sitting in a car bored for hours upon hours is great I mean it's torture lol. At least on a train if it takes long you can use the various amenities without ever leaving the train and I'd rather have 6 screaming infants than being in a car for dozens of hours

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

silentsnack posted:

That's a nice Sphere of Influence you got there, it'd be a shame if somebody destabilized it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

shrike82 posted:

Wow they have a bunch of inedible rocks and dry untillable soil. Lucky them

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Xaris posted:

the route 66 symbolic iconography of "hitting the open road" is also a touchstone in americana culture. it's akin to eating turkey and candied yams on thanksgiving. theres 60+ years of cultural propaganda about "freedom of the open road" and associated pop culture

you get more Route 66 era America on a railine than any Freeway. Less name brand fast food so lmao fat chance

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Celexi posted:

lol train and plane tickets can be cheap when properly planned which these people could as they plan their gas guzzling car trip for a year. I am not sure what part of sitting in a car bored for hours upon hours is great I mean it's torture lol. At least on a train if it takes long you can use the various amenities without ever leaving the train and I'd rather have 6 screaming infants than being in a car for dozens of hours

i would gladly take the train from norcal to socal or vice versa but i am absolutely not getting on a loving airplane for that same trip, i would rather drive than get stuffed into a loving domestic flight

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Demon Of The Fall posted:

seeing a lot of “I live in a van and it’s total cool” social media posts the last few months, concerning

Van life is just the beginning. Once nobody can afford homes, fuel or cars we'll go back to the old fashioned horse drawn wagons.

"Living in a wagon is awesome" - posted from my wagon covered with solar cells on the prarie.

"Oh poo poo I think banditos are riding this way? Any advice?" - last post time stamped 3 days ago.