Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Even if IRONMACE had stolen everything wholesale they should let them release the game. Not like they're putting out their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Smythe posted:

probably one of the most bitchmade things ive ever read lol. someone stuff this guy in a locker, stat

Kchama posted:

Ah right, I forgot that 'explaining is condoning'. I'm not explaining this to show that I like that Nexon is potentially in the right and I am rooting for their victory.

Just that uhh, people are going to be super shocked and confused if Nexon wins if they only hear Ironmace's side of the story.

Edit: Also it loving sucks when the big evil megacorps get to appear to be genuinely right for once. Like Koreans are actually siding with Nexon and that's the worst.

:getout:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Even if IRONMACE had stolen everything wholesale they should let them release the game. Not like they're putting out their own.

I don't disagree.

No. I'm sorry I'm posting stuff that isn't pure Ironmace love, but people just can't bury their heads in the sand about what's going on. It's not even that Ironmace did bad, but that the game might just be dead unfortunately. Unless Nexon takes a deal, like what happened with TERA, which is not out of the bounds of possibility.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

oh no a loving ip law, someone think of the poor multibillion dollar corporation

The problem with this case is moreso the implications of "trade secrets" where if stuff like this is allowed, other companies can basically bribe employees to leak whatever they are currently working on, then try to scalp the employees and make the game before or better than the other company. If things like that are allowed to happen, larger companies can basically permanently gently caress over competitors. I really think the only hope this game has of being released is actually very similar to the TERA story we've heard. If the Korean government and the courts think this game is good for their economy and good PR for their country, they will probably try to let it through and maybe even fund it. Which I think has a decent, if not better chance of happening than with TERA. People loving love this game and it had insane numbers.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 4, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yeah 70,000 concurrents during the demo thing is absolutely insane. This isnt some random game this was about to be a giant hit.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Akumos posted:

If things like that are allowed to happen, larger companies can basically permanently gently caress over competitors.

you say this like it's not what capitalism does anyway regardless of the fig leaves of law or the even more laughable IP law

"the purpose of a system is what it does"

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 4, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Akumos posted:

The problem with this case is moreso the implications of "trade secrets" where if stuff like this is allowed, other companies can basically bribe employees to leak whatever they are currently working on, then try to scalp the employees and make the game before or better than the other company. If things like that are allowed to happen, larger companies can basically permanently gently caress over competitors. I really think the only hope this game has of being released is actually very similar to the TERA story we've heard. If the Korean government and the courts think this game is good for their economy and good PR for their country, they will probably try to let it through and maybe even fund it. Which I think has a decent, if not better chance of happening than with TERA. People loving love this game and it had insane numbers.

Yeah that’s I mentioned that earlier and that’s the main reason why I want a fair outcome for this, instead of “LMAO gently caress CORPS” because it would really mess things up if a megacorp (such as Nexon!) was given the green light to do this. Nexon absolutely abuse the permission they’d have from the precedent of it being done to them.

Now, if Nexon was just found to be lying and poo poo and they just ate poo poo due to that, that’s another thing entirely.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

When this is all over, we’re going to find out the story falls in the grey area, and both sides lies about a lot of stuff.

Which is exactly why a bunch of idiots on the internet aren’t the ones deciding the outcome here.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

VulgarandStupid posted:

When this is all over, we’re going to find out the story falls in the grey area, and both sides lies about a lot of stuff.

Which is exactly why a bunch of idiots on the internet aren’t the ones deciding the outcome here.
No gently caress that story, when all this is over our heroes at Ironmace will challenge the cowards at evil Nexon to a trial by combat. And crush their skulls.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
And then all true DaD fans will have a huge DaD LAN party and everyone lived happily ever after.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
They updated the Steam files a few days ago and just updated their Discord rules today, I am taking this as a sign a new test window (or even ER) is about to drop.

If you are a Dark and Darker fan and you have shown a lack of faith in this thread, wallahi you will not see the Heaven of a playtest

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
They updated to how? What does that poo poo say?

Edit: You still can't even search for Dark and Darker on Steam and pull up a result and both of the announcement channels of the Discord haven't been updated for 4-5 days now, and they were both about the fundraiser. The rules channel mentions nothing about Nexon or the lawsuit?

What are you on about?

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 4, 2023

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Four seconds of Google later:

https://steamdb.info/app/2258570/history/?changeid=18299381

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's possible they actually just vaporized some files on the steam depot as part of the legal process. I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

I have no idea what that means. Can you explain for us? Is it just an update or is it actually meaningful?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

It means the game is still technically on Steam and IM can interact with it, but it’s not visible in the store.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It’s entrail reading at best unless someone has actual access and can find out. Likely meaningless.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

It means the game is still technically on Steam and IM can interact with it, but it’s not visible in the store.

But how does that help us? Could anyone put up anything and "technically" update it on steam, or is it meaningful? Could I upload anything and just update it thousands of times by changing dialogue or something inconsequential or is that something meaningful?

Give us some context Franks.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

It doesn’t mean anything. I will say people keep acting like the next playtest is happening as scheduled in the official discord and no one has jumped in to say it isn’t. But I wouldn’t put too much hope in it.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
The listing says that it just adds "-steam=1" to the internal launch arguments which I can't find a single thing about online. The only guess I've seen is that it's for enabling steam overlay without actually running the game through Steam.

I am unclear of the usefulness of that.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It isn't happening. You gotta be delusional or a content creator at this point to think it's happening.

Will the game happen? Maybe? Will it be in April or May? Come on. The case is in S. Korea but most of you gotta be accustomed to how things work. Nexon is gonna delay. poo poo, IRONMACE might even delay at this point, they are just recently trying to get money for their case. If they don't: delay. We need to prepare for the worst. If they do get money: delay. We need to prepare for the worst, but also the best given what we can now do.

What does them pushing this case, now, benefit them at all? A lot of you are giving poo poo to Kchama for posting the facts of what is going, and even more of you are posting emotionally. You wanna play this game? Great, so do I. I made the thread and am very in support of the game. But you are overlooking the realistic of what could happen in your passion to see this game come out.

I'm gonna remain from posting what I actually think should happen, because new details are still emerging. But the game isn't coming out this month. Sorry. It's not coming out next month. Sorry again.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

ShowTime posted:

It isn't happening. You gotta be delusional or a content creator at this point to think it's happening.

Will the game happen? Maybe? Will it be in April or May? Come on. The case is in S. Korea but most of you gotta be accustomed to how things work. Nexon is gonna delay. poo poo, IRONMACE might even delay at this point, they are just recently trying to get money for their case. If they don't: delay. We need to prepare for the worst. If they do get money: delay. We need to prepare for the worst, but also the best given what we can now do.

What does them pushing this case, now, benefit them at all? A lot of you are giving poo poo to Kchama for posting the facts of what is going, and even more of you are posting emotionally. You wanna play this game? Great, so do I. I made the thread and am very in support of the game. But you are overlooking the realistic of what could happen in your passion to see this game come out.

I'm gonna remain from posting what I actually think should happen, because new details are still emerging. But the game isn't coming out this month. Sorry. It's not coming out next month. Sorry again.
Does... Does this mean no trial by combat?!!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The playtest will begin next week. I can't wait.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Who’s gonna tell him?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ShowTime posted:

Who’s gonna tell him?

One week from today!

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I wish I was strong enough to believe.

gently caress capitalism, play videogames.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Groovelord Neato posted:

The playtest will begin next week. I can't wait.

the dark grows darker

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
https://youtu.be/8dqYobC-xNQ

Stuff like this is exactly why I'm sure we'll have at least one copycat out by the end of the year

I would actually bet on Roblox being the game to copy it, because I've seen that game fully copy other games like "The Culling" and "Stalker" before.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
That's great, that's great

But when can I play Dark and Darker again??

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

gently caress Roblox and anything they touch. Including child labor.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
dark and darker was real copium

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
People in the Discord and subreddit are flipping out because Graysun streamed a Spotify playtest with songs like "soon" and "just wait" but also songs like "two years" and "just kidding". He also waved bye when he was done.

Some real addicts out there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ShowTime posted:

People in the Discord and subreddit are flipping out because Graysun streamed a Spotify playtest with songs like "soon" and "just wait" but also songs like "two years" and "just kidding". He also waved bye when he was done.

Some real addicts out there.

Why are they freaking out? The playtest is in three days.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
there's gonna be an online riot when its cancelled

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I wonder what people like Groovelord are gonna say when it doesn't happen.

"Oh, it's just late. It happens all the time with these big games."

"Steam didn't get their poo poo together in time."

"The servers the game is using are being DDOS'd by haters and/or Nexon."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ShowTime posted:

"The servers the game is using are being DDOS'd by haters."

I'll be meditating until I astral project and play Dark and Darker in some alternate timeline.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Demon Of The Fall posted:

there's gonna be an online riot when its cancelled

with all the impact of an online petition

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

ShowTime posted:

Franks Happy Place posted:

If you are a Dark and Darker fan and you have shown a lack of faith in this thread, wallahi you will not see the Heaven of a playtest

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ShowTime posted:

Gonna turn into some real Star Citizen poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Star Citizen was never real. Dark and Darker is.

Franks Happy Place posted: