Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Simplex posted:

Mixed is about right. The game is too easy and the interface too clunky to be taken seriously as a management sim. Actual gameplay is pretty repetitive and boring, until you get in a race with changing weather conditions or safety car periods, when it becomes pretty fun.

Most of the major issues at launch have been patches out by now.

I have similar thoughts after I played a few seasons. My best was with Haas and it was after firing both drivers, hiring rookies. By the 2nd season I was winning races by letting the drivers drive on default strats with no intervention on my part. Tell them to drive at a moderate pace, they'll never run out of tires or fuel and will win on the basis of your car stats being better than other car stats.

It's basically a mobile game with a pretty 3d race simulator. Can't add teams. Can't change livery or sponsors. Rookie drivers are better than veteran ones after a season.

You get tons of $$ each week. You use that money to upgrade your base and your car. The upgrades are largely meaningless, and are basically "number goes up." Investing a ton of money into front-wing technology is not going to make you faster on high downforce tracks. All you have to focus on is where your number is relative to all the other car's numbers and spend in that area.

The same goes for the practice and setup figures. It's a mini-game and the actual settings don't matter. Don't expect to have to think about your wing or suspension settings on a per track basis. You just need to trial and error until you put the slider in the right spot to satisfy the algorithm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

I don't feel like playing a driving game but is there a good management type game for F1 type stuff?

The original motorsport manager PC is pretty stellar.

I have not looked back at the official f1 manager in some time, it stinks.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

lmao that print

big Valt owns

finns for the winn

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

lmao that print

big Valt owns

I love that this is a photo of both of them working from home.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

crackhaed posted:

drat my life sucks

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Sunk Dunk posted:

drat my life sucks

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Branded throw pillows.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BabyFur Denny posted:

don't complain. F1 should be commended that they refuse to race in China due to their ongoing human rights violations. I wish more sports had the backbone to refuse to cooperate with those regimes and instead only race in clean, acceptable countries.

not quite sure that's why they dropped the Chinese GP, OP

crackhaed posted:

or at least getting some training in at home.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I recall reading something in another thread about some device a team had that was totally normal but when installed it was illegal but you'd never know. That was f1 right?

Habitual Quitter
Jun 26, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

I recall reading something in another thread about some device a team had that was totally normal but when installed it was illegal but you'd never know. That was f1 right?

You’re thinking of chess.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I wish an F1 driver could cheat using a buttplug

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

Would make porpoising a lot more enjoyable for the drivers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bip Roberts posted:

Checo? No wonder he was upset.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7HFrL1ZQ8A

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

I think you’re looking for Toyota’s WRC turbo restrictor cheat from the 1990s, which only activated when it was installed.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The greatest cheat the world has ever seen

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BabyFur Denny posted:

don't complain. F1 should be commended that they refuse to race in China due to their ongoing human rights violations. I wish more sports had the backbone to refuse to cooperate with those regimes and instead only race in clean, acceptable countries.

Wait hang on do you actually think that’s why there’s no China race

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The problem with F1 Manager is they launched it broken then said "Sucks to be you, you want bug fixes buy next year's version".

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Wait hang on do you actually think that’s why there’s no China race
Yes. Formula One is a pristine sport with no room for dictators and oil money. It is truly the sport of the free, common man: cars going fast.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Motorsport Manager is an overall better game than F1 Manager 22 and is probably also pretty cheap by now. The official one looks nicer of course but feels much shallower to play.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dudley posted:

The problem with F1 Manager is they launched it broken then said "Sucks to be you, you want bug fixes buy next year's version".

The Mercedes W13 of games

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Motorsport Manager didn’t sell well enough for that company to give it a sequel on PC, so they switched to phone games. The company making the licensed F1 Manager games got a multi-year contract in advance so maybe they’ll start making a good game right when the contract runs out and they cut off support for it.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

I think we should get this Samir guy a seat on the grid

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Thanks Ants posted:

The greatest cheat the world has never seen

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Not only is the Mercedes-Benz chassis suck the power unit is “clipping” pretty severely on the straights. What that means is that the ICE component is not only missing a bit of power WRT to the Honda and Ferrari, the ERS system is worse and this is compounded by high drag as well.

Frond fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 11, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'd think with such a poo poo PU and chassis that they wouldn't still be ahead of Ferrari

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unlike Ferrari their suspension isn't made out of wet pasta noodles.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i could design a better car i just dont really want to

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
adrian newey's book says you need to design the suspension to function in concert with the aero so as to maximize the performance o fboth

if i were an f1 designer i would just do that instead of choosing not to :shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

the milk machine posted:

adrian newey's book says you need to design the suspension to function in concert with the aero so as to maximize the performance o fboth

if i were an f1 designer i would just do that instead of choosing not to :shrug:

This is the thought process of a person who lacks passione

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So is the FIA doing anything to address how insane car weights have become in any of the upcoming tech regs? I feel like a lighter car can add way more to the racing than any other gimmick

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i doubt it ever drops appreciably, since the next formula calls for larger batteries

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i for one cannot believe that designing a car to go fast is the best approach

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Arc Hammer posted:

This is the thought process of a person who lacks passione

sitting down to an espresso and glass of red wine and a big plate of fettucini and cracking open newey's book, plugging passages into google translate. "'rendere la macchina veloce?' no...NO!"

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Has Mercedes tried simply not losing races?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

ethanol posted:

i for one cannot believe that designing a car to go fast is the best approach

I didn't realise you were a Ferrari engineer

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

Bip Roberts posted:

Wasn't there a dust-up last year about what kind of underwear drivers wore? I guess it would be fine as long as the buttplug is fire resistant.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The racist stewards would only single out are lew for butt plug use and you know it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Personal Lucubrant posted:

Wasn't there a dust-up last year about what kind of underwear drivers wore? I guess it would be fine as long as the buttplug is fire resistant.

Look not everyone is like George who wears underwear printed with pictures of himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

Skarsnik posted:

The racist stewards would only single out are lew for butt plug use and you know it

Probably the only way they can try to sneak a peak to satisfy their lust. They know he wouldn't consent otherwise, but yeah, rulebook says we gotta inspect the goods. For safety, of course.