Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
HARDEST kong to ESCAPE from
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 8 4.88%
Diddy Kong 3 1.83%
Dixie Kong 8 4.88%
Funky Kong 49 29.88%
Chunky Kong 8 4.88%
Bluster Kong 5 3.05%
Lanky Kong (demanded by Cheetah) 53 32.32%
Max Castillo 6 3.66%
Billy Mitchell 18 10.98%
Steve Wiebe 6 3.66%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It should be normalized to want to hit your boss, or at least one of the executives at the top of your company, because chances are they suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I have managed to play some Crusader Kings 2 lately. I'm about 80 years in as King of Sicily but I've added a bunch of DLC since my last game so there's a bunch of new mechanics I don't really understand but I have finally figured out how to flood my council with flunkies who'll vote themselves out of power :toot:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/mediamolecule/status/1645728970661306370?s=20

Media Molecule is discontinuing live support for Dreams in September to focus on new projects. You'll still be able to create, play, and share dreams, but MM will not be updating or making new content for it.

Wait so they never brought that to PC? PC gaming itself was practically made for specifically exactly that brand of dumb shenanigans. "Hey guys I have this great intellectual property I'm calling 'food' that I'd like to introduce to you. You can hold it, you can put it on a plate, you can heat it up, you ca... what's that? Oh no, I'm never going to license it out for eating why would I do that."

Even for the video games industry, that is an almost obscene display of overwhelming incompetence and idiocy. Wow.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 11, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But Sony needs to release Last of Us for a sixth time

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I just searched 'Dreams' on YouTube and got nothing about the game, and searched 'Dreams game' and had to scroll for a few trailers and nothing else. Even 'Dreams Mediamolecule' only gives you official videos - you'd think there'd be millions of amazing videos showing off the cool games people made. What gives?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

stev posted:

I just searched 'Dreams' on YouTube and got nothing about the game, and searched 'Dreams game' and had to scroll for a few trailers and nothing else. Even 'Dreams Mediamolecule' only gives you official videos - you'd think there'd be millions of amazing videos showing off the cool games people made. What gives?

It's probably because nobody ever touched the game or made stuff for it, because developing 3D levels and characters and scripting them to do stuff without a keyboard and mouse, instead only being allowed to use a gamepad, would be like having to run a marathon without running shoes, instead you're only allowed to wear small plastic office trash cans from wal mart on your feet.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
disparage the trashcanathon again at your own peril

rox
Sep 7, 2016

GreatGreen posted:

It's probably because nobody ever touched the game or made stuff for it, because developing 3D levels and characters and scripting them to do stuff without a keyboard and mouse, instead only being allowed to use a gamepad, would be like having to run a marathon without running shoes, instead you're only allowed to wear small plastic office trash cans from wal mart on your feet.

sounds like a skill issue op

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Relax Or DIE posted:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

He's a "can't handle watching black & white movies" millennial. How I hate him!

in fairness they're like 1,000 good color movie for every good black and white movie, you can spend a long time watching all the good color movies before you run out and have to go to the black and white ones.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

It's insane. Outside of the PC games platform, the entire concept is so obviously doomed from the start that I can only assume the whole project must have been concocted by some upper management director so they could hand it off to somebody they didn't like, allowing a ton of money to go toward funding it and making it ever more expensive and visible, so they could ultimately fire them when it inevitably went trashcan shoes up.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 11, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gripweed posted:

in fairness they're like 1,000 good color movie for every good black and white movie, you can spend a long time watching all the good color movies before you run out and have to go to the black and white ones.

This is 100% true op.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Doing some coding on a controller, where every button is a modifier input for another button’s modifier input

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Put a piece of translucent red plastic over their TV

Now every movie is color. The color is red.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gripweed posted:

xxcept my boy is watching the mario movie

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, A lot of people rank Blue the highest but for my money it's Red. Even if Binoche is objectively better as an actress then Jacobs.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
People that don't watch black and white movies haven't watched Dr. Strangelove and I have less respect for them

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
watch black and white movies in gameboy green, imo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Simply watch a color film but set your TV to black and white.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

GreatGreen posted:

Wait so they never brought that to PC? PC gaming itself was practically made for specifically exactly that brand of dumb shenanigans. "Hey guys I have this great intellectual property I'm calling 'food' that I'd like to introduce to you. You can hold it, you can put it on a plate, you can heat it up, you ca... what's that? Oh no, I'm never going to license it out for eating why would I do that."

Even for the video games industry, that is an almost obscene display of overwhelming incompetence and idiocy. Wow.

I wonder if anyone from high up at Media Molecule came to this conclusion, got poached by Meta, and we have them to blame for the games portion of the Metaverse

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i've been told this is called 'enabling kurosawa mode'

edit:god drat it!!!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lol

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Watching Dark City in grayscale, the way it was (maybe) meant to be watched.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there should be more films in CGA

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Games like Dreams are always going to be doomed to fail because most people don’t want to accept the fact that creating anything is a long-term process, hard, will expose your own incompetence at every stage, and can’t be meaningfully circumvented. Like you can give people the best tools and it won’t matter because people have to have the mindset that imperfect is fine, creating is hard, blah blah blah.

Meet Your Maker is cool in one very big way. Give people dopamine producing incentives for supporting a creative ecosystem like that, and you might have something good on your hands.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Mario Maker 2 was fun as hell and my levels owned.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Mario Maker 2 was fun as hell and my levels owned.

Aw gently caress I forgot about that one.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rarity posted:

I have managed to play some Crusader Kings 2 lately. I'm about 80 years in as King of Sicily but I've added a bunch of DLC since my last game so there's a bunch of new mechanics I don't really understand but I have finally figured out how to flood my council with flunkies who'll vote themselves out of power :toot:

Niiice never understand, just keep playing

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Boba Pearl posted:

If you want to talk about struggle with mental health, I made a comic about my struggles with schizoaffective disorder that you might find interesting.

That's pretty cool of you and sounds slightly horrifying. Big props for having the guts to put that out there.

Thank you for making that.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Ah the Space Invaders trick

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

nah that's the one thing that dreams is really good at. the controls are insanely expressive, its the only good use of ps move controllers in documented history. modelling stuff feels like working with clay and paints, building environments feels like assembling dioramas, the scripting is all visual stuff that's kind of a continuation of what they were doing in little big planet, so thats theres physicality to that also wiring the logic together that works really well as far as visual scripting goes. it deserves to be on PC but also I think it would probably control worse unless it had VR controller support

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I had a few small tasks I was going to stretch into the last bit of work, but YouTube auto played the pizza tower song and I inadvertantly got all the tasks done really fast you can't work slow to this music

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the only reason that dreams doesnt have a bigger presence than it does, is negligence on sonys part. it wasnt a failure for MM and sony financially supported them on it but, they just sent it out there to die and my understanding is poo poo on any ideas MM had for making it something bigger than it ended up being. cause they did talk a lot about wanting it on PC, and like, being able to export your sculpts to 3d models to use in games made outside of Dreams or 3D printing or whatever

BurningBeard posted:

Games like Dreams are always going to be doomed to fail because most people don’t want to accept the fact that creating anything is a long-term process, hard, will expose your own incompetence at every stage, and can’t be meaningfully circumvented. Like you can give people the best tools and it won’t matter because people have to have the mindset that imperfect is fine, creating is hard, blah blah blah.
and imo this doesn't really hit it either because the Dreams community tools were really good at lowering the barrier to entry and rewarding any amount of effort you put into it, its something that they paid a lot of attention to. any element you make you could package up and share, even if its like, one sound effect, or a song, or a prop, and the way the discovery worked it would immediately get out in front of a lot of eyes and get you feedback and positive reinforcement if someone touched it. as far as creator platforms go, it cant be matched as far as giving you constant encouragement that you're doing good work

they did regular jams also that would be just like, make a flower, and at the end of the week you could see where you ranked on the Flower Making leaderboard and get a little badge to say you are in the top 30th percentile of flower makers or whatever, so there's little bit of a competitive element also

its really rewarding until you remember that, it was a dead end platform that vanishingly few people would ever see, and there being very real limits to, what you could actually get out of it

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 11, 2023

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm in a JRPG mood are any of these worth playing Y/N some of them got kind of middling reviews but they look interesting to me + are on sale

Tales of Arise
Fuga Melodies of Steel (I think this one has a pretty long demo so I'll try that)
Soul Hackers 2
The Caligula Effect 2

update: I am enjoying Fuga a lot but it's too stressful for me to play more than one chapter a day so I'm only on chapter 6

I bought Caligula Effect 2 but have not tried it yet

meanwhile I'm surprisingly enjoying Soul Hackers 2 a lot but lol @ this room

(though it turned out it's actually very linear and not a teleport maze like I was expecting)

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

homeless snail posted:

the only reason that dreams doesnt have a bigger presence than it does, is negligence on sonys part. it wasnt a failure for MM and sony financially supported them on it but, they just sent it out there to die and my understanding is poo poo on any ideas MM had for making it something bigger than it ended up being. cause they did talk a lot about wanting it on PC, and like, being able to export your sculpts to 3d models to use in games made outside of Dreams or 3D printing or whatever

and imo this doesn't really hit it either because the Dreams community tools were really good at lowering the barrier to entry and rewarding any amount of effort you put into it, its something that they paid a lot of attention to. any element you make you could package up and share, even if its like, one sound effect, or a song, or a prop, and the way the discovery worked it would immediately get out in front of a lot of eyes and get you feedback and positive reinforcement if someone touched it. as far as creator platforms go, it cant be matched as far as giving you constant encouragement that you're doing good work

they did regular jams also that would be just like, make a flower, and at the end of the week you could see where you ranked on the Flower Making leaderboard and get a little badge to say you are in the top 30th percentile of flower makers or whatever, so there's little bit of a competitive element also

its really rewarding until you remember that, it was a dead end platform that vanishingly few people would ever see, and there being very real limits to, what you could actually get out of it

Wow those challenges are such a cool idea. FYI I’m not knocking Dreams itself. I’m not even knocking the goal of democratizing creative output that way. Just that I think it’s always gonna be an uphill battle to get people to go all-in on such a specific platform, for one, and that a lot of people think they want to make things but don’t find that it’s their cup of tea when faced with the reality of making stuff, which is work at the end of the day.

I was more saying that as much as I don’t like the service model bullshit, Meet Your Maker incentivizing people with in-game rewards to make levels is kinda brilliant for maintaining interest. MYM’s scope is way humbler than Dreams’ too, so it’s kinda apples/oranges. I’m sad they’re taking Dreams offline. I used to see cool random uploads here and there of things people had made with it.

It’s not the same, but Dreams reminded me a little bit of Neverwinter Nights and the toolset, which fostered an insanely cool community of creative people who did things with that game you’d never believe.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 11, 2023

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Walla posted:

That's pretty cool of you and sounds slightly horrifying. Big props for having the guts to put that out there.

Thank you for making that.

Absolutely, it was scary, but overwhelmingly the feedback was positive. I'm really glad I was able to get it out there. I hope anyone whose struggling with neurodivergency can get access to a medical professional who can help them, because there's always a path forward, even if it's really hard.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

my favorite weird dead end platform is smilebasic on dsi/3ds/switch. thats a platform thats used by maybe, two dozen japanese retirees and a couple of westerners but the amount of effort people go on games literally 30 people are going to see, is insane. its so small that the best place to look at games outside of smilebasic itself, is just following the ceo's twitter because he will retweet anyone that mentions his software or uses the hashtag

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Imp Zone Wrestling Federation presents Sudden IMPact LIVE! in 55mins @ https://www.twitch.tv/ritoru_demon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

homeless snail posted:

my favorite weird dead end platform is smilebasic on dsi/3ds/switch. thats a platform thats used by maybe, two dozen japanese retirees and a couple of westerners but the amount of effort people go on games literally 30 people are going to see, is insane. its so small that the best place to look at games outside of smilebasic itself, is just following the ceo's twitter because he will retweet anyone that mentions his software or uses the hashtag

i'm sure i've mentioned it before, but the WC3 modding scene, at least pre-reforged, managed some insane stuff thanks to advances in .dll injection and a couple decades of experience. someone made a legit platform fighter out of the engine, which is a bonkers proof of concept for something as clunky and limited as WC3 is

i sadly have to be more judicious with my time nowadays but i spent maybe half a year tinkering on making a tactical turn-based module for NWN2 and managed to eke out a decent proof of concept, but the return on investment for something that massive just wasn't worth it. i have sincere admiration for anyone with the drive to go HAM on gamedev for limited platforms like that